• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

Might try out Hard Light in PvP considering that's one of the earliest Exotics I ever got all the abilities for (no attack bonuses though).

I used to never play Skirmish when I played Destiny back whenever, but I play it now and it's fun.

My biggest pet peeves atm:

1) All these goddamn new maps. Holy shit it's like running through some fucked up Disney World. I don't know the names except for Vertigo and Bannerfall, and I don't know either of those maps well enough to want them.

2) When my team doesn't get heavy ammo and the other team grabs both. At that point, I feel like giving up. But I stay for the loots.

3) People with shotguns. I lost count how many times I've gotten bodied by a Felfucker

4) My overshield on my sunsinger does absolutely nothing against melee and it makes me a sad man.

lt519

Digging the new crucible. Still shotgun sniped a couple times but overall the TTK is a bit lower now that HCs can't snipe you. Switched to a Red Death and am liking it, tried out Scout Rifles for a bit but they didn't sit well with me. A few of the cramped maps I still went TLW and Shotgun combo.

Finished all the weapon bounties twice. I hated that Hakke sniper, man was I awful with that thing and that fusion rifle packed a punch but took forever to charge.

I think Vertigo is easily my favorite map and I actually really enjoyed Bannerfall on Rift.

matmanx1

I had one simple goal when I turned on Destiny last night: get comfortable in PVP again. I'm not going to lie, the last couple of days since the patch have been awkward for me in the Crucible. The Last Word (my go-to primary for months now) just feels so very different and the ranged damage drop-off nerf was so severe that I felt like a fish out of water.

On top of that we have all new maps and a new game type to go along with the new way that our old weapons handle and I was more than a little overwhelmed. Wednesday night was the absolute worst night I have had in Destiny crucible since the game launched. I had flashbacks of my first forays into pvp and the .25 - .5 K/D's that were my norm. And I freaked out a little bit.

So yesterday I read and watched everything I could about the new state of PVP from folks who I know are good players, both here on Gaf and elsewhere. I studied up on the fundamentals, especially as they relate to how to tackle a new map that you have never seen before. I picked up on a couple of strategies and made a list of loadouts to try and went in with the goal of being patient, having fun and learning as much as I could.

I started slowly. My first couple of games I had less than 10 kills a game and was still in the .5 to .8 K/D range but I did not get frustrated. As I cycled through the maps and different loadouts I got more comfortable and by the end of the night I was back in the 1.3 - 1.5 K/D range and, more importantly, feeling comfortable AND having a lot of fun again.

The turning point was actually on Memento. I think I started that game with 10 straight deaths as the game kept spawning me with enemies in firing range and I kept eating shot-gun blasts and supers one after the other. But I kept at it and using a combo of Thorn and Vestian dynasty I ended the game with 7 straight kills AND I got "The Phantom" medal for my efforts! Talk about gratifying!

A couple of thoughts and things that I learned:
1) On new maps try to prowl the perimeter and stay out of the middle. You can much better control your firing and approach angles until you learn the lay of the land.

2)High fire rate weapons are back in a BIG way and stability seems to matter to perhaps a larger degree than ever before, at least for me.

3) As a HC user both Thorn and Vestian dynasty performed well and felt comfortable for me to use. I was especially surprised at how good Vestian Dynasty was in the close to medium range game. I hope we get some new high fire rate sidearms to play with in 2.0.

4) The last two games I switched to 55a-Allfate for my primary which allowed me to run with Thunderlord or Truth in my heavy slot. For maps with longer range engagements I believe this is a superior setup to Thorn and a legendary heavy.

5)The field scout change really stinks. My ascended "Against All Odds" mg went from 50 rounds to 26 and it was my Crucible go to heavy as it has very similar stats to Jolder's Hammer and the BTRD. Enter Thunderlord and Corrective Measure!

how do you guys feel about faction rep taking half rep to fill up? granted there are some easier bounties daily even if some Crucible bounties force you to have a 2nd player in your fireteam party

i don't understand.

faction rep levels take less time to fill up now?

then why does the rest of the post talk about ease of bounties?

HALP SPLAIN

ocean

Banned
Might try out Hard Light in PvP considering that's one of the earliest Exotics I ever got all the abilities for (no attack bonuses though).

I used to never play Skirmish when I played Destiny back whenever, but I play it now and it's fun.

My biggest pet peeves atm:

1) All these goddamn new maps. Holy shit it's like running through some fucked up Disney World. I don't know the names except for Vertigo and Bannerfall, and I don't know either of those maps well enough to want them.

2) When my team doesn't get heavy ammo and the other team grabs both. At that point, I feel like giving up. But I stay for the loots.

3) People with shotguns. I lost count how many times I've gotten bodied by a Felfucker

4) My overshield on my sunsinger does absolutely nothing against melee and it makes me a sad man.
As a Sunsinger, you want to run Radiant Skin + Viking Funeral + Touch of Flame. Firebolt Grenades and Flame Shield.

Self Rez is useless in Crucible. Use your Super aggressively instead, with Radiant Skin you can survive ridiculous damage. Firebolt with Viking funeral burns your enemies for days and days, preventing their recovery and making them easy kills for you or your team mates. Flame Shield won't help you survive a shotgun blast if you're already weak, but you should be impossible to kill in a straight melee fight unless a Hunter frontstabs you (they need to fix that).

Sunsingers are amazingly powerful in PvP.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
UNc1y12.png

ZtI0MS7.png

CqRIjkB.png

pCAyECG.png

allthehawksypsgt.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO​
pCAyECG.png

CqRIjkB.png

ZtI0MS7.png

UNc1y12.png

THANK YOU XUR I LOVE YOU

stb

So about 2.0 and its changes to the Ceucible, here's my main takeaway:

The way we play has to change fundamentally in terms of loadout selection. Pre 2.0, most of us had a go-to weapon. If you mained Thorn or TLW or Red Death or whatever, you basically kept that 99% of the time. Your Special slot was probably always a shotgun or a sniper - maybe changing it out depending on the map.

The thing is, good weapons were far too versatile and could always be used everywhere. Now there's maps where you definitely want a Pulse Rifle, others where you might want a Scout, others where you feel a HC or AR would work better. It'll be hard to play at a high level with a single weapon trying to fit all the different maps now that damage drop off is so clearly defined for each weapon class.

This is interesting and will promote more varied play, but it'll also make it far more difficult to master a single weapon. You'll be rocking Messenger one match then switch to MIDA or Salvation State the next.

This is one of the main things I've wanted from weapon balancing, so it's really heartening to see that it's there (or getting there).

Afrocious

As a Sunsinger, you want to run Radiant Skin + Viking Funeral + Touch of Flame. Firebolt Grenades and Flame Shield.

Self Rez is useless in Crucible. Use your Super aggressively instead, with Radiant Skin you can survive ridiculous damage. Firebolt with Viking funeral burns your enemies for days and days, preventing their recovery and making them easy kills for you or your team mates. Flame Shield won't help you survive a shotgun blast if you're already weak, but you should be impossible to kill in a straight melee fight unless a Hunter frontstabs you (they need to fix that).

Sunsingers are amazingly powerful in PvP.

Thanks for the heads up. Seems like I made a good call scrapping self-rez. Firebolt burns is something I haven't used in a while (would stick with Fusion way back when since I was decent at sticking enemies). Firebolts are less risky and I dig it. That + Thorn = Connect the DoTs but I don't think I like how Thorn feels as a gun.

UNc1y12.png

ZtI0MS7.png

OlgyvFW.png

pCAyECG.png

allthehawksypsgt.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO​
pCAyECG.png

OlgyvFW.png

ZtI0MS7.png

UNc1y12.png

THANK YOU XUR I LOVE YOU

Dear Hawkian,

Wear Chatterwhite. Then make a clan called Band of the Hawk.

And if you haven't already, read Berserk.

Sincerely,
Afrocious

I still get put with the worst fucking randoms in Skirmish.

I'm not able to carry in Skirmish in any sense of the word, but I'm getting better at it. I don't think I'll have to be carried THAT much, so if you want to party up, I'm definitely down. I could use the practice by not being with randoms for once. Some are good and some are fucking terrible regardless how many kills they get.

i don't understand.

HALP SPLAIN

Vanguard and Crucible is the same but Factions are halved because Faction rep half-reps from both Vanguard and Crucible bounties at the same time as you submit Vanguard and Crucible bounties

Mindlog

If Xur stocks all new exotics next week it would take 62 coins to buy everything he has. That's one exotic for each class and one exotic weapon.
Sixty-two strange coins would only flip a faction once.
Is this something new for TTK? Haven't heard about it.
You can trade heavy ammo synth with factions for faction rep. It takes ~33 Strange Coins or 199 heavy ammo synths to level a faction completely. Last week it would have taken 20.

This is one of the main things I've wanted from weapon balancing, so it's really heartening to see that it's there (or getting there).

Me too its great. I've gone from ARs one map, to pulses the next, to handcannons the next. Love the variety. Not to mention seeing people use the field test weapons. PvP is much better now that I'm not getting killed by the same handful of guns.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Seeing a lot of talk about Abyss Defiant and Timepiece on reddit for PvP. Can't wait to finally dig into 2.0 this weekend. Any comments on these? Also Thunderlord seems to be a go to heavy now for PvP.

Seeing a lot of talk about Abyss Defiant and Timepiece on reddit for PvP. Can't wait to finally dig into 2.0 this weekend. Any comments on these? Also Thunderlord seems to be a go to heavy now for PvP.

yeah abyss is super fun

the way crucie is shaking out and with the new vault space, i don't think i'm sharding a thing for year one

in fact, crucible feels so much more fun now that I want to try and get all the raid weapons I can even more than I did in year one

isn't that WEIRD??????

i don't understand.

HALP SPLAIN
Actually, faction rep takes TWICE as long to fill out, but you get full rep to vanguard and crucible at the same time, so you're really getting more, but not out of your faction.

Lee

Warning,
of text:

Logged in last night for the first time since 2.0 and just felt overwhelmed. Decided to wait to play on my main until Tuesday and start a new character on a new gamertag as that's something I've wanted to do. A few observations:

1. Leveling is way faster. The various quest lines give enough exp that I would frequently level up once after a mission and again after talking to vanguard in the tower. This more than made up for the lack of higher difficult options for missions.
  2. The quest lines prevent you from moving on to the next mission without first returning to the tower and moving on in the quest (usually talking to vanguard). You used to be able to play level 2, 3, 4, etc. missions and return to the tower at leisure, now it's a trip back to the tower after almost every mission.
  3. Eris Morn's quest kicks in right after you get to the moon. Her first mission is Sword of Crota. It really did a great job of tying in her story/Crota's story to the introduction to the hive on the moon. I really liked it. I finished her quest line (Wakening/Will of Crota) just after finishing the moon.
  4. You used to get "introductory bounties," like 3 and then bounty tokens/missives at early levels. This is removed and we just get the same selection of bounties as everyone else starting at level 5.
  5. Gold chest rewards were almost always way lower than what I already had. Was this true before?
  6. I was able to pledge to a faction before level 20. I did it at level 17, but probably could have earlier had I tried. I believe the faction class items used to require level 20.
  7. I was able to pick up the test weapons from Banshee at level 3, but not able to use them until level 20. It was pretty nice going from all 80-100 weapons to 150 weapons once I hit 20 though.
  8. All in all I had fun running around and listening to Nolanbot.

Kills 1,522
Assists 106
Deaths 6
Public Events 4
K/D 253.7
Super Kills 654
Headshots 369
Time Played 3h 54m 34s
Longest Spree 127
Games 25

Ended at level 20 (92% to 21), earth and moon complete, light level 111.

I have all of Saturday night to play and I'm wondering if it's remotely possible to take it all the way and get Triumphs done. Public events are the only thing making me think it's not possible. Might still go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom