• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

yes. last hit on them needs to be w/ a shotgun.

last hit needs to be shotty. heard Nami say you should also get some hits in but anyone in fireteam can kill them off with shotty and you'll get credit. always safest to have all three guys use shotty on them no matter what.

Great, what are the chances randoms happen to do that if I miss it :/

Just spent an hour and a half going through it three times and didn't get either brother.

TsuWave

nightstalker really needs an area of effect option for its super like one single arrow that explodes on impact and can take out multiple targets. it doesn't even have to have the effective range/area of effect of a nova bomb or anything like that, the AoE can be much smaller, but yeah it needs it.

this is super noticeable in crucible, especially iron banner/control type matches. when multiple enemies are taking a zone. with quiver you can take 3 out but that's if you're lucky enough to not be dead by the time you finish shooting all arrows since in the time/frames between shooting the arrows your armor boost disappears and you take regular damage. another thing is, in tight spaces the super can be a bitch to use since it propels you into the air further up each time you shoot an arrow, i've fallen out of bounds twice because of that, also, if someone is directly below you, you can't hit em, the aim reticle doesn't let you aim directly below you when using that super (don't know if i'm explaining this right but people who run nightstalker will know what i mean) an AoE option would help with that. also don't understand why quiver arrows suppression effect take about a second(i think slightly longer ever) to come into action. this means you regularly get taken out by sunbreakers and stormcallers easily, and they get out of the arrow's field before effect comes into play, even if you got the first shot in.

yup, super could use some reworking, which i doubt will happen but hey

My friend, who I won't name, kept bitching the entire time we played Iron Banner that Titans got the short shrift in PvP again, that Sunbreakers are so weak, and that Shadowshot and Stormtrance are too OP in comparison. I am not joking. Not even a little.

SkylineRKR

My friend, who I won't name, kept bitching the entire time we played Iron Banner that Titans got the short shrift in PvP again, that Sunbreakers are so weak, and that Shadowshot and Stormtrance are too OP in comparison. I am not joking. Not even a little.

He's wrong.

We dominated on Pantheon and the ONLY 2 times we lost B was because of a Sunbreaker rushing in and just killed our whole team. I got him to 5% but he killed someone and was healthy again and then I instantly died. A Bladedancer and Stormcaller would've been dead, a Voidwalker would get perhaps 2 kills and then die.

If it weren't for that sunbreaker or 2, we would've Mercy Ruled it no doubt.

Will do. Also what are the best perks for a 1000 yard stare?

Vendor has Solar + Triple Tap which is a GREAT Raid asset. Because you can't really miss crits on the bosses.

Finally got my Void Flayer Mantle. The long grind is over (until I decide I want the Arc/Solar versions).

Someone on Reddit or Bnet made a post asking people which classes they were getting strike exclusive gear as, and it started becoming clear people were getting loot for classes they weren't playing. I started wondering if Bungie weighted exclusive strike stuff to drop this way order to entice players to roll other characters. This seemed to explain why I, a hunter, had 3 Maws, 3 Darkblade Helms and at least one of every other Lock/Titan strike gear but absolutely nothing for Hunters. So I leveled up my Titan and went back to farming Dust Palace. Guess what pops up within a few games...

I see you, Bungie.

Defuser

I'm just saying it's too quick to write off sidearms just because shotguns overshadowed them and you got to be a idiot to think it can compete with snipers at far range. If you ever get a sidearm with good perks like the vendor Havoc Pigeon or the vendor IronWreath, just give it a shot. They are viable because they are well balanced.

I'm learning to jump. I forced myself with the warlock, which with the floaty jump seems easier. Here's what I do with the ogres. Following Twilight's lead, if i'm floating I stay on the top platforms and put three sniper rounds into each one's face. Those three plus whatever each platform guy does = dishes are done.

And the brand/runner guy should definitely have Touch of Malice and NOT SHOOT ORYX. Just use that unlimited ammo/double damage bullets to kill all the adds that are trying to kill all the bomb detonaters!!

ToM is so awesome in the bubble

Whoa...I wonder if this tower shooting ogre thing is what was going on last night. The ogres kept turning around and shooting at the sky making it impossible to get crit shots on them.

My ogre and the other guy's ogre kept making it way too close to the middle for comfort. I can usually kill my ogre before the next one spawns.

RedFury

hah!

"Your day will come again..."

You playing more tonight? I'm going to try and grind for that damn Omnigul pulse for a bit, after that.... IB!
I'm in for omnigul farm. Fireteam got 3 drops last night, but I left empty handed 😢. They both got bonds and PRs.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Shadowshot? That's fine. But stormtrance is the only super I just can't avoid. I can at least dodge the hammers by LOS them or jumping and confusing the stupid titan.

LiK

Great, what are the chances randoms happen to do that if I miss it :/

Just spent an hour and a half going through it three times and didn't get either brother.

Nami helped me and we had a random who had a shotty so he knew what he was doing, thankfully. Randoms should know what to do if they get that mission. probably a good idea to get some Gaffers to help you.

void666

Banned
Chaperone is so cool. But i'm having more success with invective. If the first shot doesn't kill i just have to spam the trigger. And i'm never out of ammo.

About pulse rifles. I have them all. Apple of discord, lyudmila, villainy, nirwen's mercy.
But i always come back to my first hawksaw. Unflinching and hand laid stock.
Playing IB with nirwen's yesterday, many times my target ran away with a sliver of health. And i'm sure if i had my hawksaw instead i'd have got the kill.

PuMa

Whoa...I wonder if this tower shooting ogre thing is what was going on last night. The ogres kept turning around and shooting at the sky making it impossible to get crit shots on them.

My ogre and the other guy's ogre kept making it way too close to the middle for comfort. I can usually kill my ogre before the next one spawns.

Whoever is on the platform across from the spawning ogre should always shoot a couple sniper shots over. It's super easy to stagger the ogres that way, then they go down quickly.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Finally got my Void Flayer Mantle. The long grind is over (until I decide I want the Arc/Solar versions).

Someone on Reddit or Bnet made a post asking people which classes they were getting strike exclusive gear as, and it started becoming clear people were getting loot for classes they weren't playing. I started wondering if Bungie weighted exclusive strike stuff to drop this way order to entice players to roll other characters. This seemed to explain why I, a hunter, had 3 Maws, 3 Darkblade Helms and at least one of every other Lock/Titan strike gear but absolutely nothing for Hunters. So I leveled up my Titan and went back to farming Dust Palace. Guess what pops up within a few games...

I see you, Bungie.

Actually, I can 100% confirm that every strike-specific piece of loot I have received fell while I was a different class. Just yesterday I got the titan gloves from the hammer bros while playing on my hunter. Warlock helm, hunter coat, titan gloves... all while using not that class.

SkylineRKR

Actually, I can 100% confirm that every strike-specific piece of loot I have received fell while I was a different class. Just yesterday I got the titan gloves from the hammer bros while playing on my hunter. Warlock helm, hunter coat, titan gloves... all while using not that class.

All I ever got so far were 3 marks of the undying mind and I don't even have a Titan.

stb

yes. last hit on them needs to be w/ a shotgun.

I did this over the weekend with Dave_6 and schwagger15. We ended up having to re-do the strike, because we killed the first one with something OTHER than a shotgun. The quest gave me credit for the second boss, because we were extra careful to only shotty him.

We only had shotguns in our special slots, so either:
1) one of us actively killed him with something other than a shotgun
2) he was killed by the environment (the exploding barrel things)

I've had it happen both ways. I was playing my Warlock yesterday doing lvl36 vanguard and the Taniks Cloak dropped for a Hunter (which i need to delete a warlock and make now)...

Then as my Titan in Undying Mind via the director i've recieved 3 Mark of the Undying Minds... I also got a Does Not Bow via the director and a Treads Upon Stars via the director strikes.

Mixed bag.

GutZ31

nightstalker really needs an area of effect option for its super like one single arrow that explodes on impact and can take out multiple targets. it doesn't even have to have the effective range/area of effect of a nova bomb or anything like that, the AoE can be much smaller, but yeah it needs it.

this is super noticeable in crucible, especially iron banner/control type matches. when multiple enemies are taking a zone. with quiver you can take 3 out but that's if you're lucky enough to not be dead by the time you finish shooting all arrows since in the time/frames between shooting the arrows your armor boost disappears and you take regular damage. another thing is, in tight spaces the super can be a bitch to use since it propels you into the air further up each time you shoot an arrow, i've fallen out of bounds twice because of that, also, if someone is directly below you, you can't hit em, the aim reticle doesn't let you aim directly below you when using that super (don't know if i'm explaining this right but people who run nightstalker will know what i mean) an AoE option would help with that. also don't understand why quiver arrows suppression effect take about a second(i think slightly longer ever) to come into action. this means you regularly get taken out by sunbreakers and stormcallers easily, and they get out of the arrow's field before effect comes into play, even if you got the first shot in.

yup, super could use some reworking, which i doubt will happen but hey

Nightstalker for me is not an assault subclass, but a team play, support class at its finest.
Using shadowshot for impact kills is in my opinion, not team play, or support.

I try to save nightstalker, with lengthy tether time and range, and added orbs for team members so they can help clear rooms, get supers faster, and make plays sooner.

Also, tethering a door with extended tether range when you know a sunbreaker is coming is comedy gold.
Walk right in, and get shot to death once your super is revoked.

In summary, I find it better to look at nightstalkers as support rather than assault because of time to kill, and exposure when doing your super.
Gunslinger and bladedancer are still MVP killing machines in crucible if you want high kill counts on super alone.

Brizzo24

Hey everyone,

I'm a level 11 Titan, and after playing through the game for awhile I have a few questions. Hopefully someone is willing to help.

1) How does the game configure for me being at level 11, and people in my game who are level 40? Will I encounter stronger enemies, or will the others encounter weaker enemies? For example: During a patrol I got my ass handed to me by some huge one-hit-kill behemoths. When I shot at 'em, I kept receiving the "immune" message. Every other enemy during this patrol was easy, it felt, until i realized others in my game were at a higher level than me.

2) When it comes to firing at enemies, I assume white numbers are standard hits, whereas yellow numbers are critical?

3) Is there a place in the Guardian city where I can sell/trade materials I have gathered? Such as "strange coin" and "spine metal"?

4) I have a rare consumable, "Spark of Light," that will grant me level 25 access; and once I use it there's no going back. Would I want to do that? I am perfectly happy leveling up as normal. The jump from 11 to 25 would feel too substantial, plus what would that do to missions? Also, the "Speaker" in the observatory in the Guardian City will also grant me the ability to level to 25. Again, it feels cheap.

Thanks in advance!

Whoever is on the platform across from the spawning ogre should always shoot a couple sniper shots over. It's super easy to stagger the ogres that way, then they go down quickly.

Yeah, that's how it usually goes down, but these ogres were all over the place. They were turned toward the towers and running since their backs were turned to the platforms.

noomi

Wat....

I see you, Bungie.

I've given up on farming it, it'll come when it does.... never :(

I'm in for omnigul farm. Fireteam got 3 drops last night, but I left empty handed 😢. They both got bonds and PRs.

I've had such shit luck with heroic drops, I might try for an hour or two tonight, but if nothing drops after that I'm done.

Yeah, that's how it usually goes down, but these ogres were all over the place. They were turned toward the towers and running since their backs were turned to the platforms.
I've had the ogres come out, turn 45 degrees away from me, and start trucking like motherfuckers. How the hell can you stagger them then?

Kyne

Have fun running towards me with your shotgun while I get five shots off

Spoiler Alert: I win.

I agree, you should be killing anyone running at you with a shotgun.

I can also agree that anyone running at you with a shotgun is an imbecile.

Shotguns should be used in close combat/around corners/in situations where you know you can close the distance.

50% of the playerbase is running around with shotguns as their primary. So yes, I can see how sidearms are doing work. The meta is at a point where they can be relevant.

So it's safe to say that if some people had half a brain sidearms would not be relevant. It's unfortunate but there's no situation (other than this sham of a meta) that a sidearm will ever be better than one of the other guns.

LiK

Ogre AI sometimes goes nuts during Oryx fight when they decide to aim at the runner and they turn their backs. the only way is if the 6th guy doing the adds is fast enough to stagger them as soon as they spawn. when I'm doing adds, I get them with ToM or my sniper asap when they show up and if you stagger them, they won't suddenly rush out or turn around. DPS + speed works fine. if you're having trouble with Ogres, the 6th guy might not be doing their job as effectively.

Ikkarus

Am I missing something with this Gradp of Malok Pulse?

I've got it and granted it doesn't have the greatest of rolls on it but it's just like Praedyths PR from VoG.

IB Pulse is waaaaay better to use than it...well at least in my opinion. The kick from the Grasp of Malok is quite noticeable but it's rate of fire is quick I'll give it that. Is that why people are after it?

phen0m24

Everyone's favorite non-jungle-cat is correct. If they are on the platform shooting straight down at the ogre, Egads. Shoot the one across coming towards you. Light 'em up. :)

Trakan

Nightstalker for me is not an assault subclass, but a team play, support class at its finest.

I try to save nightstalker, with lengthy tether time and range, and added orbs for team members so they can help clear rooms, get supers faster, and make plays sooner.

Also, tethering a door with extended tether range when you know a sunbreaker is coming is comedy gold.

In summary, I find it better to look at nightstalkers as support rather than assault because of time to kill, and exposure when doing your super.
Gunslinger and bladedancer are still MVP killing machines in crucible if you want high kill counts on super alone.

They need to buff Nightstalker in one way though, the tether needs to instantly take the other person out of their super, not a couple of seconds later.

That was the plan yes, so far ive done Mission 1 but i missed PAR time but got PAR score so i need to do it again sometime. Coop probably speed things up a bit.

These elites take serious firepower to down.

1>2>ODST>3>4 and 5 was the plan.

I'm down to play!!! I'll be home in an hour...

I just added you on XBL now

sajj316

Ogre AI sometimes goes nuts during Oryx fight when they decide to aim at the runner and they turn their backs. the only way is if the 6th guy doing the adds is fast enough to stagger them as soon as they spawn. when I'm doing adds, I get them with ToM or my sniper asap when they show up and if you stagger them, they won't suddenly rush out or turn around. DPS + speed works fine. if you're having trouble with Ogres, the 6th guy might not be doing their job as effectively.

That's always been the case for us. If the Ogres start to get to the middle or loses attention .. Ogre duty is not doing their duty (should be two on it). It's either that or platform "standers" are just twiddling their thumbs and not helping to kill the Ogre. Each Ogre should have 3 guardians doing damage.

Am I missing something with this Gradp of Malok Pulse?

I've got it and granted it doesn't have the greatest of rolls on it but it's just like Praedyths PR from VoG.

IB Pulse is waaaaay better to use than it...well at least in my opinion. The kick from the Grasp of Malok is quite noticeable but it's rate of fire is quick I'll give it that. Is that why people are after it?

Because some streamers decided it was the next best thing. That's why.

LiK

That's always been the case for us. If the Ogres start to get to the middle or loses attention .. Ogre duty is not doing their duty (should be two on it). It's either that or platform "standers" are just twiddling their thumbs and not helping to kill the Ogre.

yea, whoever is across the other side on platforms should help out too. 2-3 guys (2 platforms+adds duty guy) will down an Ogre fast.

PuMa

It's gotta be if the floater is helping from the towers, but not getting sniper crits. I'll have to look up if that happens again.

You should actually have two floaters anyways. Not sure if being up on the towers is what's causing it. If I'm floating, I usually just go through the middle on the ground floor.

Thanks to Ruthless, Drizz, Bombastico, Akai and Gongmaster for the IB train.
I laughed myself silly with this kill. Gif is kind of crappy, video is here!
yNX8EZ.gif

Holy shit this is amazing. Your reaction was priceless.

GGs to everyone who rode the IB train earlier, lots of fun matches and lots of terrible loot. I bet I've done 150 matches this week without a single Pulse Rifle or even stupid Sidearm drop. So much for hitting the lottery with an even better rolled IB pulse than the vendor version.

TsuWave

hence why i said it shouldn't be like a nova bomb or anything, i appreciate it for what it is, but it still should have some kill utility/option that allows you to at least have a decent chance at competing against multiple opponents in pvp. when you get matchmade into a fireteam with 3 or 4 nightstalkers against a fireteam with 3 or 4 sunbreakers, if the average skill level of players is more or less even, 7 or maybe even 8 outta 10 times, the sunbreakers got that win in the bag just of the nature of their supers. besides, black hole and blood bound are too similar for pvp, i adore blood blound for pve but i feel like its a perk/ability that should be tied to an exotic piece of gear instead of being part of the skill tree, if that makes any sense. all in all i just think that nightstalker could do with that mini AoE impact kill super option, emphasizes on option, but if they were to at least work it so you can kill someone that's directly below you or there abouts and the proper effect i would be happy with just that too.

i'm gonna start one my warlock soon. which subclass should i start leveling up first? i don't know the consensus on which one edges out the others.

Mupod

I throw a sticky grenade of some sort at my ogre as they stand up and that staggers them, but I don't always get the timing right and sometimes I space out due to boredom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom