• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Wow, this "Gameplay Tips" video for the Division beta is super helpful. Kappa

Did you guys know you can use cover? And that RPGs use skill tress? Where you can change your skills that affect your in-game abilities?

I promise not to keep posting about the Division. Probably.

Edit.... and the game crashed. Lol.

Lnkn52

Wow, this "Gameplay Tips" video for the Division beta is super helpful. Kappa

Did you guys know you can use cover? And that RPGs use skill tress? Where you can change your skills that affect your in-game abilities?

I promise not to keep posting about the Division. Probably.
Stop padding this OT, it might be dead for the next few hours.

WipedOut

Don't have any of the things xur is selling, tempted to buy the warlock chest.

OT: played division last night with a fireteam. It was just so boring. Slow, cover base, poor shooting mechanics. RPG, elements are great but what is that worth if the shooting isn't fun?

WeTeHa

OT: played division last night with a fireteam. It was just so boring. Slow, cover base, poor shooting mechanics. RPG, elements are great but what is that worth if the shooting isn't fun?

I wouldn't even mind the slow pace and relatively boring shooting if we got some cool skills like mass effect (biotic charge, adrenaline rush, throw, slam, etc). Having a shield, a rolling grenade and some healing stuff just seems really bland. But I guess that's what you get with "realistic" games that don't take place in the future.

I haven't looked into it, but I'm kind of hoping the later skills are a little crazier than what I've seen so far.

Am currently watching Nami's stream and the lip synching from the bloody lady in the beginning seemed really off.

Highwind

Pretty much. Everything else looks great but the shooting mechanics and the pace has put me off the game for the time being.

Finally gonna do trials today for the helmets. Don't give a fuck about anything other the helmets, hunter cloak and hand cannon when it comes to trials (I guess a Doctrine would be nice). Just hope the map isn't ass this time (it will be).

E92 M3

So far the best thing I noticed about Division is the ability to troll people in the dark zone. I can see that being a lot fun for loot and money acquisition.

Raven117

Not to defend the division too much, but the early levels of destiny are pretty boring as well before you start leveling up.

WipedOut

Not to defend the division too much, but the early levels of destiny are pretty boring as well before you start leveling up.

for me It's not about early level's, I actually like the premise behind the division, it's the shooting that I don't like, flat, boring and unimaginative.

Building up your base, constantly finding loot, working with a team. All that is great but I can't personally do 3rd person shooters in this type of game.

Rift was totally worth it.

CZ4FTJlWkAAOUSp.jpg:large

All without raiding. I'm still amazed by this lol

flkraven

Had fun playing the Division, but it isn't the Destiny killer I've been lead to believe. I LOVE the open world, and I wish Destiny was structured in a more similar way. I like all the NPCs, and really like the way that missions run seamlessly into the open world. Unfortunately, the actually shooting didn't feel that great and I didn't really feel anything towards the characters/enemies/gear. Destiny's gameplay and art direction are incredible. Going to be tough to top.

With that said, I may pick up the Division eventually but it won't be a day one purchase.

Deej was asking for Iron Banner Rift feedback last night on Twitter, so here's some. It's absolutely awful. Rift loses it's shimmer when the level of competition is increased like it is now. Runners know all the fastest routes on all the maps and it's just not fun at all. Unless Iron Banner becomes a weekly rotating thing, I don't want to see it back. IB Clash is the best iteration of IB.

Secondly, I again want to reiterate my disdain for the state of Crucible in general right now. It's absolutely dominated by sniper rifles to the point where it's not even fun to play. When I run outside my base in Rift to attempt to take control of an area that will help the team get the objective, all I see is Sniper Rifle scope reflections pointing at me and I die. In one shot.

I know that most of the Crucible veterans here will say "welcome to our world" or "you just need to adjust your play style," but I just need to vocalize my feelings about a game I love. Crucible in Destiny is the least enjoyable that it has ever been to me and despite the fact that I WANT to keep playing Destiny on a regular basis, and regardless of the content draught, I find myself unable to have fun with Crucible right now and it's pushing me to spend my time with other games.

WipedOut

Bungie should disable the no fun allowed mode and give us IB Clash Mayhem. Now that would be great!

I would actually play that. The game should be fun, not irritating like it is now with Rift.

Don't get me wrong, some of the games are fun, but like toymachine said, why are people sniping on a capture the flag style game. This should be a run and gun type mode, not sit on your ass and snipe spawn points and path lanes.

I'm doing one person to rank 5 then the other two just to 3 so I can get the class items for future IB's.

So I have 7 daily IB bounties and 2 weekly IB bounties ready to turn in and I'm rank 2.

I have all buffs (emblem, shader, etc), I guess I need around 7200 XP to get to rank 5, how close will I get today?

I'm trying to get all 3 characters to rank 5 before reset (just for the rewards). Normally I mostly enjoy IB but this time I feel like I want to play the least amount as possible which I guess is a sign to put the game down for a while sans King's Fall CMs.

So I have 7 daily IB bounties and 2 weekly IB bounties ready to turn in and I'm rank 2.

I have all buffs (emblem, shader, etc), I guess I need around 7200 XP to get to rank 5, how close will I get today?

I'm trying to get all 3 characters to rank 5 before reset (just for the rewards). Normally I mostly enjoy IB but this time I feel like I want to play the least amount as possible which I guess is a sign to put the game down for a while sans King's Fall CMs.

Use this http://www.ironbanner.info/

WipedOut

HGaqoRC.png

The lamest of excuses since he has absolutely nothing to do with tuning anything...

Actually that would be incorrect. If he is actually doing his job as a community manager, then he would be scouring reddit, twitter, forums, working feedback with the users and reporting back to the live team on the state of the crucible changes that were deployed.

*Can't believe I actually defended Deej

darthbob

Bungie should disable the no fun allowed mode and give us IB Clash Mayhem. Now that would be great!

I'd be happy with that, would also be happy with a permanent Clash Mayhem playlist too.

Need to get more Sword kills in PvP for that Exotic Sword quest still.

I feel special being quoted twice in one Drizzy post!

Bungie’s MO from the beginning has been to slow progress. They have an unfounded fear that raining loot will lose players.

In year 1, we had 4 armor pieces that controlled our light level. In year 2, we have 10! Why do you think that is? In pre-TTK launch interviews, Bungie explained the new light system as allowing you to play a bit and always get a piece of gear to make you more powerful. You could get one single higher attack/defense item and raise your overall light level. People praised Bungie. But, this system only works well until you start to get around 290 overall light and falls apart.

The real reason they changed it was so that we now have 10 items to chase for max light.

Adding light level to weapons does two things:
• Adds a large penalty for using the fun and powerful year 1 weapons
• Adds three more max light items needed to reach level cap

Adding light levels to class items only hurts in my opinion, as many great looking year 1 items can no longer be worn outside of patrol.

People always wanted more ghosts, but nobody asked for a light value to be added to the different looking ghosts.

Artifacts, to me, serve no purpose other than another slot to max. Although, I do switch some around based on the INT/DISC/STR distribution I’m going for, so I guess that’s a bonus. I get 6 320 artifacts a week now, so I guess it is a moot point.

With TTK, Bungie knew there was going to be a large content drought and had to come up with a system in their mind that would keep people playing as long as possible. But, I think all it’s done is upset a majority of the player base.

I feel the system would work if they provided us with a plentiful source of 320 items and changed infusion to be 100% instead of the partial percentages we get now.

Destiny is fun enough to play on its own, I don’t need artificial barriers to keep me playing.

Very well said. Man, reading it all laid out is so dispiriting. If Destiny 2 or whatever they're calling next year's release isn't a complete reboot of the endgame I don't know what I'll do. I don't want to play another Year 2, but at the same time playing with DGAF & friends is some of the most fun I've had.

The Year 2 endgame is so bad, it's just chasing a number that doesn't even affect how you play. I'm so sick of Bungie fearing
hating
player progress.

After being a champion for Destiny for so long, I feel so down on it now. The more you put into the game, the more you have to deal with the bad end game and the worse you feel. I already play so little, even if I'd like to play more. Not sure how much longer I'm going to actively post on DGAF either, since I've run out of new things to say.

giphy.gif

Combined with Bungie essentially abandoning the game outside of Microtransaction events, well, feels bad man.

edukate

I just hope the new CEO has high(er) expectations of his team- especially on the communication end... I think today's weekly update will be telling tbh.

Played two hours of Division beta, probably enough for me. It played exactly like it looked in previews/streams. Great environmental details, very bland shooting and movement. Potential for a great RPG+loot+exploration experience, but the "game feel" won't sustain me through that gameplay loop. (last Division post I promise)

I WANT to keep playing Destiny on a regular basis, and regardless of the content draught, I find myself unable to have fun with Crucible right now and it's pushing me to spend my time with other games.

Speaking as a Crucible veteran who has wanted to keep playing despite not having fun... playing other games is the right call now. Whenever I was playing I'd always say "I want to enjoy this game so much more than I actually do" because Destiny's good moments are sensational. But those good moments were spread too far between the typical frustrations that everybody has. At some point it's not sustainable anymore and a break is the best thing imo (whether it's just a week or several months).

The legend of Lt. Dan' epic comeback
http://youtu.be/qCWtbKEsVP8

Those snipes at 2.20 :)

Very well said. Man, reading it all laid out is so dispiriting. If Destiny 2 or whatever they're calling next year's release isn't a complete reboot of the endgame I don't know what I'll do. I don't want to play another Year 2, but at the same time playing with DGAF & friends is some of the most fun I've had.

The Year 2 endgame is so bad, it's just chasing a number that doesn't even affect how you play. I'm so sick of Bungie fearing
hating
player progress.

After being a champion for Destiny for so long, I feel so down on it now. The more you put into the game, the more you have to deal with the bad end game and the worse you feel. I already play so little, even if I'd like to play more. Not sure how much longer I'm going to actively post on DGAF either, since I've run out of new things to say.

giphy.gif

Combined with Bungie essentially abandoning the game outside of Microtransaction events, well, feels bad man.

To be fair they also said they didn't want players to chase vertical progression (light level), they wanted them to chase horizontal progression I.e. having lots of interesting guns and different armour sets for different classes etc etc.

So I don't think they were really expecting people to "fight" the double RNG and try to climb to 320. Being 30 over 29 really mattered....being 320 versus 310 doesn't really matter at all.

On the flip side - there was some double RNG in the original game and people went crazy about it (I forget what now) - I remember Bungie promising they would not use double RNG again....except they did in the very next expansion.

Played two hours of Division beta, probably enough for me. It played exactly like it looked in previews/streams. Great environmental details, very bland shooting and movement. Potential for a great RPG+loot+exploration experience, but the "game feel" won't sustain me through that gameplay loop. (last Division post I promise)

Speaking as a Crucible veteran who has wanted to keep playing despite not having fun... playing other games is the right call now. Whenever I was playing I'd always say "I want to enjoy this game so much more than I actually do" because Destiny's good moments are sensational. But those good moments were spread too far between the typical frustrations that everybody has. At some point it's not sustainable anymore and a break is the best thing imo (whether it's just a week or several months).

join us in the other D
iablo
Gaf! XD

E92 M3

I would actually play that. The game should be fun, not irritating like it is now with Rift.

Don't get me wrong, some of the games are fun, but like toymachine said, why are people sniping on a capture the flag style game. This should be a run and gun type mode, not sit on your ass and snipe spawn points and path lanes.

I'm doing one person to rank 5 then the other two just to 3 so I can get the class items for future IB's.

It would also be very compatible for solo players

Yeah, I see it as the kind of game that I won't mind playing with a regular group all the time but won't touch playing solo, plus if I want to play a game with tons of bullet sponge enemies, I have Destiny for that. The environments and shooting just don't work for me. It's just going to be buildings and subways everywhere.

Back to Destiny, will do some more IB in a bit.

Raven117

Actually, I loved building a new guardian when I first started Destiny. Was very exciting.

Really? Different strokes different folks. I distinctly remember maxing out my main for the first time and hopping on an alt. The first level, and the first time they drop you in for a mission...your weapons are weak, your abilities are weak. It wasn't until about Venus or so where guns and skills started to mesh better. At least for me.

Regardless....I think here is how this will all play out.

Destiny is the more "Shooter" side of the new genre "Shooter/Loot/RPG/MMO"

The Division is more of the RPG side of the "Shooter/Loot/RPG/MMO".

But that's just an early guess at this point.

flkraven

Biggest problem for me really was that I didn't really understand the PvP zones all that much, and I can't tell if they just held a bunch back because it's in beta. What do you even do in those zones? I walked around for a bit and killed some AI enemies and found some loot, however, any idiot can run over and grab the loot before me despite me killing the enemy. If I try to retaliate on a loot stealer and kill him, I become branded as a bad guy and the entire area targets me and loots my stuff. The entire area is either scavengers following and trolling people, or just complete chaos deathmatch. Not quite what I remember them advertising.

WipedOut

Biggest problem for me really was that I didn't really understand the PvP zones all that much, and I can't tell if they just held a bunch back because it's in beta. What do you even do in those zones? I walked around for a bit and killed some AI enemies and found some loot, however, any idiot can run over and grab the loot before me despite me killing the enemy. If I try to retaliate on a loot stealer and kill him, I become branded as a bad guy and the entire area targets me and loots my stuff. The entire area is either scavengers following and trolling people, or just complete chaos deathmatch. Not quite what I remember them advertising.

Pretty much, if I want to go play that style of game I'll go boot up GTA.

Top Bottom