• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Bungie already expressed in a previous BWU (the one about weapon parts) that Destiny is their game and they will do what they want with it. They appear to be very stubborn and enjoy letting stuff just play out.

Same with Rift and Deej's post. I'm guessing Rift Banner wasn't very popular otherwise we would have had loads of stats in the following weekly update

Kyoufu

Just saddens me how much Bungie has neglected the PVE crowd.

Seems like they don't have the resources necessary for meaty PVE content updates for Destiny whilst also putting in the hours needed to get Destiny 2 out by internal deadlines.

I wouldn't even mind it so much if Year 2 raiding wasn't crap. I was happy with Vault of Glass, Crota's End and PoE because the loot chase was meaningful and fun. Doesn't feel that way to me in Year 2 so I'm thirsty for new, better content which isn't arriving any time soon and that is unfortunate.

Yeah, that's a Halo era habit I wish they'd drop.

I admit, I honestly don't remember this situation happening much in Halo.

Other than the Grifball playlist becoming permanent killings it's population.

It seems like anytime we get a patch for Destiny, before players even get their hands on it, there is something that sticks out like a sore thumb and makes the player base go "That sounds like a terrible idea." (I.E. Weapon Parts, Special Ammo Spawns)

They're doing a lot of "fixing what isn't broken" and accidentally breaking it from the fix.

darknil

So yesterday I booted up Destiny, wow.. it was depressing going to the roster page, even after adding so many people from DGAF. I didn't liked the decoration on the Tower. For what it's worth, even FotL had more attention to detail, even the bounties logo for CD seemed like it was done quickly.

Anyways, read about the Hakke pulse rifles, I've kept my Lyudmilla with Headseeker and full auto since the gunsmith glory days, is it now usable? Right now I'm using a Red Death / Reflection Sum (with rls3, army of one, injection mold and hidden hand) on the character that had it.

Just found that I sharded the gunsmith AR with high RoF low impact that sold previously, is it worth looking for it over the vendor paleocontact, red spectre or the IBs AR?

Lee

I wrote a really big post about it on HBO back then, but considering the context, I really don't miss visible ranks at all. It was so bad that Nintendo never implemented visible ranks in Smash because of what happened in Halo. Epic REMOVED 1-50 visible ranks from Gears 2 and switched over to a pure XP system. Visible ranks are less important to the public than people think; quality matches are more important to player retention.

Just read that throwback post. Appreciate the explanation. I was a kid playing Halo 2 and Halo 3, but I remember the grind for higher ranks and the way the game lost its fun when every match was standby or mods.

FyreWulff

I admit, I honestly don't remember this situation happening much in Halo.

Well, I was aware of it due to posting a lot in Optimatch (holla at Homeboyd) , but they would say adjustments were made to a playlist, but never actually tell you the specifics of what they changed. Like "some playlists had skill weighting increased", but never which ones.

343 did it too when they took over Reach and updated 4, it feels like a leftover of MS culture where all information defaults to private at first no matter how ethereal it is unless people really apply pressure to it being released.

It's hard to compare Halo Era bungie with Bungie today because with Destiny, we've been conditioned to want loot. That is a fundamental problem in creating a lasting game. It's not as simple as having a Grifball playlist or a temporary playlist to make the players play more. Now it needs to have loot and actual progress/rewards. And doing that is harder.

And Bungie simply isn't prepared for it. They aren't prepared for having an MMO-like game because they have no experience doing it. Not even a loot game because they have no experience doing that. Blizzard for example, has over 10 years experience with WoW and Diablo..

Bungie already expressed in a previous BWU (the one about weapon parts) that Destiny is their game and they will do what they want with it. They appear to be very stubborn and enjoy letting stuff just play out.

Which is one of my main problems with the game and it's management.

I was really into destiny, 1000+ hours, played since PS4 E3 Beta. Collected essentially all that was available to collect. Ran sherpa a bunch etc etc.

After the vault space limitations my desire to collect got forced away from me, Content dried up quickly. The lack of RaidLFG or Matchmaking in game. The 3 firetime limitations. The lying about patches and network changes and the veiled disrespect that I felt from their awful BWU I have no interest in returning. Destiny has a wealth of content for a new player but for us 1%ers we have 1 raid and some PvP events. Once you hit 300+ it's worthless doing anything.

Tri4

And that other game will be a generic crap fest. Enjoy a generic RPG shooter
I hope someone makes a jokey comparison between the two games. I would, but I'm too lazy. It would go something like

Clip 1: guardian jumps in the air and pulls off a headshot kill. Cuts to a scene of division where guy is hiding behind cover shooting.

Clip 2: hunter bladedances and gets a three opponents down. Cuts to division showing guy hiding behind another cover throwing a bomb.

Clip 3: warlock self rezzes in trials. Cuts to division showing player in darkzone crawling on the floor at low health.

Clip 4: guardian gets multiple firefly hits on thralls. Cuts to division showing guy hiding behind cover spraying enemies.

And so on. Would be a funny watch.

Different strokes for different folks. I think the beta was a lot of fun. But I don't see it being a game I cam play every day for a year either.

Bungie's biggest problem is they hyped their own game up higher than it deserved. Saying the story was worthy of lotr or star wars and saying people would want to live in their open worlds. They dug their own grave.

On the other hand, I've never heard massive makes any claims like that. It's all about expectations.

WipedOut

I hope someone makes a jokey comparison between the two games. I would, but I'm too lazy. It would go something like

Clip 1: guardian jumps in the air and pulls off a headshot kill. Cuts to a scene of division where guy is hiding behind cover shooting.

Clip 2: hunter bladedances and gets a three opponents down. Cuts to division showing guy hiding behind another cover throwing a bomb.

Clip 3: warlock self rezzes in trials. Cuts to division showing player in darkzone crawling on the floor at low health.

Clip 4: guardian gets multiple firefly hits on thralls. Cuts to division showing guy hiding behind cover spraying enemies.

And so on. Would be a funny watch.
The gameplay is just a horrid mediocre mess. Makes me appreciate the gunplay in destiny so much more

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll have to get back to you, but potentially me and my wife could join in. She's very new to the game but is lvl 40 and 280+ LL

You should already have me on your FL (dthomp)
LL200 is already overleveled for Vault of Glass, lol.

Feel free to sign up for both of you (just fill it out twice)

Deku Tree

While all of these things you've said are true, I can't help but feel that Bungie has to realize how generally unhappy the population is.

At the very least, the matchmaking changes they did in December that nobody was asking for.

It feels like rather than undo the changes, they're doubling down with some extra tweeking. A strategy we've seen from them several times now.

They have to know that whatever it is they've currently got, isn't working. But there doesn't seem to be any effort to correct it.

Not working for Gaffers and Redditors and twitch streamers does not mean it's not working using Bungies metrics for the Destiny player base. We are a small fraction.

It's hard to compare Halo Era bungie with Bungie today because with Destiny, we've been conditioned to want loot. That is a fundamental problem in creating a lasting game. It's not as simple as having a Grifball playlist or a temporary playlist to make the players play more. Now it needs to have loot and actual progress/rewards. And doing that is harder.

And Bungie simply isn't prepared for it. They aren't prepared for having an MMO-like game because they have no experience doing it. Not even a loot game because they have no experience doing that. Blizzard for example, has over 10 years experience with WoW and Diablo..

I fully disagree that this is that hard, because while loot is awesome, Bungie seems content with starving us for XP, and you know what Halo did every single week?

Double XP weekends.

If they wanted to make a special event, or even a special playlist. All they have to do is make it so your points in game translate to XP, and then add a multiplier to that XP for playing, and an even bigger multiplier for winning.

That encourages people to play, to win, and to finish.

And since, Armor is going to consistently take forever to level up, this would actually be sought after.

Hell, if they did this regularly enough, I would be fine with the XP reqs for weapons going up.

Not working for Gaffers and Redditors and twitch streamers does not mean it's not working using Bungies metrics for the Destiny player base. We are a small fraction.

You're right, but I can only measure the statistics available to me.

Twitch viewers are dropping on anything Destiny related, both official and non.

Reddit views are dropping. It used to take a post 400+ upvotes to hit the front page, I just did it with 16 this morning.

I can only use the tools available to at my disposal.

Sorry, did I strike a chord? I assume the market can hold more than one generic RPG shooter at the moment.

Anyway, not out to derail. Point is, Bungie's support, especially as of late, has been absolutely horrid.

I fully disagree that this is that hard, because while loot is awesome, Bungie seems content with starving us for XP, and you know what Halo did every single week?

Double XP weekends.

If they wanted to make a special event, or even a special playlist. All they have to do is make it so your points in game translate to XP, and then add a multiplier to that XP for playing, and an even bigger multiplier for winning.

That encourages people to play, to win, and to finish.

And since, Armor is going to consistently take forever to level up, this would actually be sought after.

Hell, if they did this regularly enough, I would be fine with the XP reqs for weapons going up.

XP isn't the biggest issue this game has tbh. The armor thing seems like this weird ass 'hate-fuck' from Bungie. They won't even acknowledge that it's a problem.

Lee

XP isn't the biggest issue this game has tbh. The armor thing seems like this weird ass 'hate-fuck' from Bungie. They won't even acknowledge that it's a problem.

Is the armor thing a huge deal? It's nice that you don't need to use guns or horde bounties to level up weapons. Just dump a dozen motes and you're good. It's hard to get a feel for guns without all the perks/the whole package in play.

Do we need the same for armor? There are like, three possible perks, right? And any exotic perk is already unlocked.

It's nice that XP for guns is trivial. I don't mind at all needing to wear armor for a while to level it up. If I'm really in a hurry, maybe it's worth dumping 50 motes into.

Is the armor thing a huge deal? It's nice that you don't need to use guns or horde bounties to level up weapons. Just dump a dozen motes and you're good. It's hard to get a feel for guns without all the perks/the whole package in play.

Do we need the same for armor? There are like, three possible perks, right? And any exotic perk is already unlocked.

It's nice that XP for guns is trivial. I don't mind at all needing to wear armor for a while to level it up. If I'm really in a hurry, maybe it's worth dumping 50 motes into.

It's a big deal for exotics/ armors that have good perks at the end of their 'trees', like increased ammo count usually. Either way, armor is in this limbo state where it ends up taking forever to level up, and by the time you're half way through you tend to find a better piece of armor, and you need to start the cycle all over again.

Top Bottom