• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Frenden

Banned
Just wanted to stop by and say hello. Last 18+ hours have been rough. Kept wishing for some time that the past 18+ hours have all been a dream and that I would wake up soon to find things normal. Rather not talk any more on this. If you see me playing Destiny, feel free to hop into the fireteam. Not gonna be at my best for a long while.

I wish you well, sir. If there's anything I can do, holler.

the_id

suicide 6v6?
and you get exotic chocolate weapons for it...damn Bungle, sort this.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello. Last 18+ hours have been rough. Kept wishing for some time that the past 18+ hours have all been a dream and that I would wake up soon to find things normal. Rather not talk any more on this. If you see me playing Destiny, feel free to hop into the fireteam. Not gonna be at my best for a long while.
All the best Nami. Stay strong brother.

Jafku

Sorry to hear that Nami. I hope things will get better for you

Deku Tree

Wishing you and your family the best Nami.

Sorry to hear man. Hope everything is ok. Sending you my positive vibes!

LTWood12

Really sorry man.

You are in my thoughts man.

phen0m24

:(

Thinking of you buddy

I don't understand the point wish you luck is making by using shitty gear and still beating people.

edit: creating dummy accounts to play casual pvp until sbmm deems him a sweaty player. rinse repeat? Is that it?
I believe it's to show that SBMM is useless since good players can just make new accounts and destroy lesser skilled players. Meanwhile sweaty matches are complete lag fest. I personally think skill based match making is dumb because I get out against people with insane internet armor.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Why are people so salty over SBMM?

As far as I know, every single Halo game Bungie made used SBMM matching. Some playlists had it exposed as ranks, and others kept it as hidden ranks. However, you were always being matched based on skill. Bungie has never done purely CBMM. I'm not sure what people were expecting.

Destiny netcode just sucks.

GutZ31

Bungie right now.
aIWz8Gy.gif

As far as I know, every single Halo game Bungie made used SBMM matching. Some playlists had it exposed as ranks, and others kept it as hidden ranks. However, you were always being matched based on skill. Bungie has never done purely CBMM. I'm not sure what people were expecting.

The formula is off. In halo, SBMM existed in every playlist, but it was more lenient.

In Destiny, if you want a chance at winning, you have to give every game, every thing you've got. 100% all the time. No chance for error. No option for trying out new weapons or builds. You absolutely have to be the best you can be.

And that's just for a chance at winning.

Failure to do any of the above most likely guarantees a loss.

This wears people out, and makes them feel like they aren't having fun, even when they do win. It's too stressful on the average player, and causes negativity (read: salt), as well as several other side effects.

What free emotes?

Check your emote kiosk.

Kyoufu

My observation of the whole SBMM saga is that Bungie heard complaints of teammates who played with their feet which frustrated the better players that had to do major carrying, so now you're much less likely to play with feeties but in turn makes every round more like sweaties due to the higher skilled opponents.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Am I off the mark?

Finally went back and read the patch notes. Didn't realize that Hakke pulses were getting a rebuff. I also didn't realize that "connection defender" is only applied to the control room playlist right now, which is ridiculous. If they want to test it they need it in more playlists and the best way would probably be having it in CD. Final thought: I find it ironic that when Deej talked about CD he mentioned star-crossed lovers and now we have everyone making suicide pacts farming for rewards.

Lee

In Halo Reach, whenever I got a new Xbox Live trial code with a game, I would make a new live account and easily go 50+ kills with no deaths in BTB. Grab a banshee at the start and use it the entire match. The people you played with those first five or ten games were bottom of the barrel. It was a perverse sort of fun, but it was definitely fun.

So I get where these streamers are coming from, but it doesn't make a ton of sense as an argument against SBMM. Obviously ranked playlists would be great. Has Bungie gone on record as to why they're against ranked playlists? Even from the move to the Arena in Halo Reach? Was it just anti-cheating? Remove the carrot and the cheaters lose the incentive?

Frenden

Banned
My observation of the whole SBMM saga is that Bungie heard complaints of teammates who played with their feet which frustrated the better players who had to do major carrying, so now you're much less likely to play with feeties but in turn makes every round more like sweaties due to the higher skilled opponents.

I don't remember a lot of griping that lead to SBMM. They just implemented it for funsies apparently. And it sucks.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
The formula is off. In halo, SBMM existed in every playlist, but it was more lenient.

In Destiny, if you want a chance at winning, you have to give every game, every thing you've got. 100% all the time. No chance for error. No option for trying out new weapons or builds. You absolutely have to be the best you can be.

And that's just for a chance at winning.

Failure to do any of the above most likely guarantees a loss.

This wears people out, and makes them feel like they aren't having fun, even when they do win. It's too stressful on the average player, and causes negativity (read: salt), as well as several other side effects.

I agree that having to be a try-hard every game is annoying too. I wouldn't want only CBMM, but I do agree it is off and needs to be more lenient. I don't want to have to give it my all every game nor stomp or get stomped either. I just want quasi-competitive games that feel like they're working as intended during combat.

Trakan

You're comparing a game where it worked to Destiny. If Destiny has shit netcode, do not match the players based on skill. Make it an enjoyable experience, or at least give an option in one playlist.

Kyoufu

I don't remember a lot of griping that lead to SBMM. They just implemented it for funsies apparently. And it sucks.

Ah, well then. :(

I do like the challenging nature of SBMM but I feel like it should be an optional playlist instead. I just want to jump in and have fun without sweating my balls off.

My observation of the whole SBMM saga is that Bungie heard complaints of teammates who played with their feet which frustrated the better players that had to do major carrying, so now you're much less likely to play with feeties but in turn makes every round more like sweaties due to the higher skilled opponents.

I'll admit I've long complained about my teamates playing with my feet, but even after the change I still get matched with teamates playing with their feet and now I have to deal with that and super sweaty opposition who are laggy half the time.

The happy medium is pure connection based and then balance the teams by skill.

There was virtually no complaints about the matchmaking system prior to December, except maybe for some regarding the changes to Trials from Y1 to Y2.

In December Bungie changed the formula. We still don't know why. Players noticed and asked. Bungie denied. Players grew more and more certain, Bungie said it definitely didn't change. Players still pushed even further on this issue, and it turns out, yeah it did change. Literally every playlist was updated over December.

Players aren't happy. "Why fix what wasn't broken." Bungie says it's for the best.

Players cry, really fucking loud. Loud enough it got the attention of several websites and journalists. Journalists wrote article, Bungie finally admits change may have been bad.

Bungie doesn't revert change. Instead, tampers with current formula in effort to reduce laggy games. Something that was a factor in the unhappiness, but not actually the core issue. Players were sedated for a time, due to Bungie actually talking to us.

Time goes on, and players don't feel like they really got what they wanted. Bungie's changes seem to be what they said they would be, but the game still doesn't feel as fun as it was before the first December change.

Players are left scratching their head wondering why such a drastic change was made, when the game seemed just fine before.

Running into a lot more suiciding teams in crimson doubles...kinda curious how many ties in a row the system allows. Starting to think my getting this pink ghost is a pipe dream.

There was virtually no complaints about the matchmaking system prior to December, except maybe for some regarding the changes to Trials from Y1 to Y2.

In December Bungie changed the formula. We still don't know why. Players noticed and asked. Bungie denied. Players grew more and more certain, Bungie said it definitely didn't change. Players still pushed even further on this issue, and it turns out, yeah it did change. Literally every playlist was updated over December.

Players aren't happy. "Why fix what wasn't broken." Bungie says it's for the best.

Players cry, really fucking loud. Loud enough it got the attention of several websites and journalists. Journalists wrote article, Bungie finally admits change may have been bad.

Bungie doesn't revert change. Instead, tampers with current formula in effort to reduce laggy games. Something that was a factor in the unhappiness, but not actually the core issue. Players were sedated for a time, due to Bungie actually talking to us.

Time goes on, and players don't feel like they really got what they wanted. Bungie's changes seem to be what they said they would be, but the game still doesn't feel as fun as it was before the first December change.

Players are left scratching their head wondering why such a drastic change was made, when the game seemed just fine before.

Pretty accurate summary for me. I remember reading a post from rubenov (if im not mistaken) way back a few days after the patch hit saying he could only do 2 matches of skirmish in a row those days because of how sweaty it was and that before he could go the whole day playing. It was immediately obvious the changes.

jschreier

Tomorrow should be interesting. Activision earnings call hitting in the afternoon. Wonder if Eric Hirshberg will confirm that D2 is delayed. And if that does happen, I wonder if all the YouTubers/podcasters who trashed my reporting will apologize... ;)

phen0m24

If there's a way for Bungie to patch the game so that suicides aren't a viable tool for farming, then they'll have it done by the end of the work day. God forbid people get loot.

What will they do? Only give drops to winners?
Create a doubles version of the Lighthouse?
What will they call it, the Mercury Motel?

But you just want to pub stomp, Kor. Admit it.

Honestly, the thing I want more than anything is a game I can play with my Wife.

Some of the best fun we ever had was playing Halo 3 Big Team CTF. Because we were on the same console, we both screen leached like crazy. We had such an amazing system for stealing flags, especially on Standoff. One of us would grab the flag, and the other would have a mongoose pulled up to the appropriate door, backed in, waiting for the flag runner to go.

Sure we got our asses beat on occasion. We'd play against teams that would hold the flag, just so they could boost their K/Ds, and that sucked, but you win some, you lose some, just move on to the next game.

After Halo 3, we moved on to Reach, but Reach didn't feel the same after a while. Kind of like Destiny, actually. The first few months were good, but the playlist options didn't really do it for us.

Then we had this huge hiatus of co-op games. We basically didn't play anything at all until the Destiny Beta came out. And when that happened we literally bought a second PS4 it was so much fun.

I want that fun again. :(

Lnkn52

Tomorrow should be interesting. Activision earnings call hitting in the afternoon. Wonder if Eric Hirshberg will confirm that D2 is delayed. And if that does happen, I wonder if all the YouTubers/podcasters who trashed my reporting will apologize... ;)

LOL

Jason who? That's what will Goth will probably say.

A guy on Reddit said it took him 100+ games! I can't wait to starting hunting again for mine tonight.
Damn...just totally at the mercy of rng. 100+ games for some people, 3 games for others. I sincerely thought all those legendary item rewards from the event bounties were going to be the event ghosts, shaders and what not. Should have known it was just rng as usual.

Hope your luck is better than mine Ape!

the_id

I hope they tell us how much TTK sold and LTD of Destiny as a franchise and other stats.

If D2 delay announcement is going to be tomorrow, then I expect something on the BWU.

I hope they tell us how much TTK sold and LTD of Destiny as a franchise and other stats.

If D2 delay announcement is going to be tomorrow, then I expect something on the BWU.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Bungie has yet to officially announce anything for Destiny's future.

The closest we have is a blurb in an update about another event in the spring that is bigger than SRL.

They're not going to tell us that a game that was never announced has been delayed.

Top Bottom