• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

SheHateMe

Missed you guys.

I've had a shitty day, and something told me to come check the thread.

I forgot all about Crimson Doubles.

I'm willing to play it straight or die trying, if anyone is available.

Instant__Vintage

I would love to see the face of whoever gets reports about the state of the live game every day/week at Bungie when they find out that this event has turned into a suicide fest. Like is must suck working at Bungie atm knowing you put effort (hopefully) into stuff and then the players just shit all over it.

Just have a look at their facebook page. They posted the Crimson stuff a few hours back and the replies are delicious.

https://www.facebook.com/DestinyTheGame/posts/941983979230240

I'm always surprised to see people play for loot instead of just doing something they enjoy doing in-game.

One might argue that Destiny is a loot game and the fastest/shortest way to loot is the best way to play a content starved game.

ocean

Banned
One might argue that Destiny is a loot game and the fastest/shortest way to loot is the best way to play a content starved game.
But like..what for. I feel like I read people who grind Crimson despite not liking it for a Ghost... so they can then grind Iron Banner while disliking it for another Ghost... but why spend so much time doing stuff you don't enjoy just to get stuff that is quite literally not going to make you enjoy the game any more in the slightest?

Basically, why would you ever use your free time to play through something you're not having fun with (to the extreme of literally going through load screens just to kill yourself)?

Absolutely not attacking anyone who does - to each their own. I just really don't understand the thought process that leads to raging / AFKing for stuff that won't make the game any more enjoyable.

WipedOut

But like..what for. I feel like I read people who grind Crimson despite not liking it for a Ghost... so they can then grind Iron Banner while disliking it for another Ghost... but why spend so much time doing stuff you don't enjoy just to get stuff that is quite literally not going to make you enjoy the game any more in the slightest?

Basically, why would you ever use your free time to play through something you're not having fun with (to the extreme of literally going through load screens just to kill yourself)?

Absolutely not attacking anyone who does - to each their own. I just really don't understand the thought process that leads to raging / AFKing for stuff that won't make the game any more enjoyable.

Actually I love Crimson doubles suicide squad. Great way to farm strange coins, motes, armor and weapon mats, oh abs also 3oC's

Ghost is just a bonus

Just have a look at their facebook page. They posted the Crimson stuff a few hours back and the replies are delicious.

Wow, that shit is brutal.

The Activision earnings call tomorrow is going to interesting. If the delay for Destiny "2" gets announced, it's just going to feed the negativity brewing.

With the recent change of the BWU to This Week at Bungie, are we even getting something tomorrow? The potential for some sort of PR disaster of a post from Deej may just be enough to make them say the hell with it, and wait for things to cool down. It would be the wrong move, but easy enough.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Suicide? Join on me. Going to let it run for a while.

Went somewhere, came back and my postmaster was filled. This is lovely.

The reason people are doing this is because the mode is not fun, the lag is horrible and the drops suck.

As for the ghost farm, the only way to get a 320 ghost is from the raid 3x each week. Once that is exhausted, it's only events like IB and CD that give you that chance. Even in IB you have to get to rank 5 first, not in CD. So it's a super quick way to try and get a 320 ghost.

I can't speak for everyone, but my doubles time was spent reading, enjoying a beer, and texting with a friend, while a rubber band held down r2 and I glanced at my tv every once in a while. So my free time wasn't really wasted.

And a pink ghost would increase my Destiny enjoyment every time I pulled it out.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Doubles isn't so bad but having every match being sweaty and having to rely on the special ammo trick just to compete is nonsense.

the_id

Zombies trying to kill themselves. What kind of simulator is this?

Work is shit today. Reading this thread is escapism therapy.

Man Destiny got weird. It used to be about adventuring, finding new areas, overcoming difficulties with your group, and then somewhere down the road it got weird and now it's about killing yourselves constantly.

phen0m24

Man Destiny got weird. It used to be about adventuring, finding new areas, overcoming difficulties with your group, and then somewhere down the road it got weird and now it's about killing yourselves constantly.

So apparently you didn't have to wipe on hard Crota 2.98 million times? LOLOL

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

It's surreal to be sure.

God, I think if I was a developer I would try and avoid reading anything like that, which is why Luke hardly ever posts in here anymore I would assume. They must know their current path is eventually going to ruin it, like there has to be someone on the team that understands cosume relations. Then again if a large amount of people return/buy into D2 that might justify their current method as fine. Still boggeles the PR part of my brain that they have someone like Deej as there main communicator with their community.

I'm not sweaty, nor suicidal, but I am crazy enough to want to dive into Crimson Doubles. Mic, no mic, matters not to me. I'm a cheap date.

PSN chae3001

Chucker

Had both shaders within 4 Suicide games with Gusty. Stuck around for 25 to get a ghost and for him to get the other shader. No dice.

Axoman

One shader and both ghosts(307 & 315) after playing 2 hours of doubles. Also got a decent roll spare change.

Played with dmh and we won the majority of our matches, but the ones we lost were always against red bars that wouldn't take damage or killed me and then they would die 2 seconds later after my damage registered.

dat Eurogamer headline

Destiny's Valentine's Day event isn't worth setting a date for

Crimson Days, Destiny's new attempt to pull back players, is all about couples - but it fails to properly address either of the game's two biggest problems. Once again, players are faced with a limited amount of things to do. And, once again, players are being left feeling like that haven't been properly rewarded for their time and efforts even if they do choose to engage and take part.

Bungie's latest offering is not only the smallest event so far but also the one which offers the least change from the standard Destiny experience. That would all be fine if there were significant rewards on offer - but this is not the case. Two fairly unattractive shaders and emblems are available for Destiny completists, while two themed Ghost Shells (chocolate and sugar candy) can drop at up to the game's level cap of 320 Light.

Up to 320 light being important to note - there's no guarantee your Ghost Shell will drop at anything approaching a useful level. It is another example of the double RNG prevalent in Destiny's second year - not only do you have to wait for the thing you want to obtain, you also then have a second numbers game where you hope it arrives at a useful level. (It's an issue especially prevalent in Destiny's latest Raid. During the game's first year, Raid gear was guaranteed to drop - when it actually did - at the current level cap. Not so anymore.)

There is one short questline (simply, stick the event out for seven matches to get an emblem) then daily and weekly bounties for the same lower-level items already in the game. It feels like an event knocked together in a few weeks since Bungie got back from its Christmas break. Why couldn't there be a reward for completing a set number of matches with the same partner? Or a jokey one for partnering with several people in the same week? Or any other guarantee your time would be rewarded?

The top threads on Destiny's Reddit at time of writing are all critical - love towards Bungie is not in the air. "Wasn't this supposed to be 'on-par' the same size as Festival Of The Lost?" (359 comments) focuses on Crimson Day's lack of scope. "If this is the pace of Destiny's 10 year run, count me out" (642 comments) centres on the lack of additional story content since The Taken King launched back in September last year. More damningly, "A long, constructive criticism of 2.1.1." (121 comments) addresses the changes to Destiny brought in last night alongside Crimson Days, and how Bungie's well-intentioned removal of special ammo at the start of matches has already been nullified by fans using ammo-generating weapons.

Destiny fans - who can be, to be fair, be super hardcore - frequently feel like they play the game more than Bungie and have a better idea about what things Destiny needs. With word of a delay for Destiny's sequel and the sudden departure of the developer's chief, Crimson Days feels indicative of Destiny's underwhelming current state.

Got to agree with everything you are saying. Reading DGAF since Crimson doubles came out has been painful. People are literally sitting feeding quarters into a slot machine for a chance at a ghost / shader.

I've actually enjoyed playing doubles during this. I've won some and lost some. But the matches have been fun. I'm probably the middling to above average pvper so I don't get many matches against uber try hards. I've only had 2 matches out of 20-25 where people have used icebreaker and only 1 match with thorn.

Maybe being a bit more casual is the way to get the most from this game

Dthomp

Kadey, if you need a Suicide Partner, I'm game for a while. No headset since I'm doing other stuff ATM but I'll die with you :)

PSN-Dthomp (on your list)

Anybody else looking to form a sweet suicide pact in search of shaders and ghosts?

Top Bottom