• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Don't you know about the new meta bro? Get on the level.

On a semi-serious note, why did Derek Carrol tell Deej not to say "meta" in the last weekly update? Apparently Bungie hates to say "lag" and "meta," for some reason I don't understand.

Because the Meta is usually an unintended consequence of there rebalancing/goals, thus they don't like it

Yo. I'm back.

Had a great time playing CD with Fali, got every bounty done in like an hour. This mode is sweaty as fuck, super fun with a buddy!

One thing I don't understand is people committing suicide. Like... Why :p if you don't find the game mode fun enough to actually play, is a ghost really worth the grind?

I'm always surprised to see people play for loot instead of just doing something they enjoy doing in-game.

Committing suicide is the most efficient way to get the stuff I want at this point. I played Crimson Doubles legit and it's pretty terrible.

1. 2v2 Trials doesn't work for me. The rounds are either over way too fast or they become a camp fest.

2. I don't want to play against Y1 weapons anymore. They are over powered(some borderline broken) and were left behind for a reason.

3. Thorn. Thorn. Thorn.

4. Every single match is sweaty. That's not fun. When I play Trials, that's the expectation because it's end game content. This is not and having to play a really good time after another good team is tiring.

5. Getting Teabagged after every round and match. So. Much. Fun.

Rather than actually play this half baked mode, I would rather just kill myself and chat with my friends from DGAF, to get a ghost that drops about 4% of the time. Playing for loot is a lot of the reason people play this game. Getting that loot is fun.

Edit: And the special ammo nerf...which is by far...the WORST thing they have done. Heavy ammo should have been nerfed.

WeTeHa

Just in case someone here still has to level subclasses: Suicide double is probably the fastest/easiest/most convenient way to level them. you get 2200 xp for every lost match, and you don't have to do anything.

Just in case someone here still has to level subclasses: Suicide double is probably the fastest/easiest/most convenient way to level them. you get 2200 xp for every lost match, and you don't have to do anything.

Thanks for posting! Need to level my Sunbreaker...

ocean

Banned
Committing suicide is the most efficient way to get the stuff I want at this point. I played Crimson Doubles legit and it's pretty terrible.

1. 2v2 Trials doesn't work for me. The rounds are either over way too fast or they become a camp fest.

2. I don't want to play against Y1 weapons anymore. They are over powered(some borderline broken) and were left behind for a reason.

3. Thorn. Thorn. Thorn.

4. Every single match is sweaty. That's not fun. When I play Trials, that's the expectation because it's end game content. This is not and having to play a really good time after another good team is tiring.

5. Getting Teabagged after every round and match. So. Much. Fun.

Rather than actually play this half baked mode, I would rather just kill myself and chat with my friends from DGAF, to get a ghost that drops about 4% of the time. Playing for loot is a lot of the reason people play this game. Getting that loot is fun.

Edit: And the special ammo nerf...which is by far...the WORST thing they have done. Heavy ammo should have been nerfed.
Thanks for the detailed breakdown! I hate laggy matches but tbh when matches are constantly sweaty and people are using the best gear available is when I find Crucible most fun. I really care very little about loot but actually like Destiny PvP, I like Thorn and Firebolts and revive snipes and ball to the wall sweating with a buddy.

I just feel there's this huge difference in the way I see / play the game (log on to shoot people) and in the way I read many others do (log on and try to get loot) - I'm not sure it's always been this way.

Because the Meta is usually an unintended consequence of there rebalancing/goals, thus they don't like it

Eh, that's not generally what it means though. Having a meta is inevitable, not unintended. It just means the common/best strategies that establish themselves based on the current balancing. What are the strongest current weapons, subclasses, abilities, etc. There will always be a meta, just the actual balancing will vary. It's not a bad thing at all. I dunno, it was just another tiny confusing thing like when they were like "we call it latency, not lag."

Number45

Don't you know about the new meta bro? Get on the level.

On a semi-serious note, why did Derek Carrol tell Deej not to say "meta" in the last weekly update? Apparently Bungie hates to say "lag" and "meta," for some reason I don't understand.
I can only assume they hate saying lag because they want to sound clever, but only end up as condescending. They are different things, but it was in no way constructive to point it out.

deadduck

I like Thorn and Firebolts and revive snipes and ball to the wall sweating with a buddy.

Have you tried to not use Thorn/Matador/burnlock?

When you are at the disadvantage, I'd be interested to see if you you find it as fun.

Personally, I switched from hunter to full-on-easymode thorn-cheeselock, because I found it was the only way to compete against it and I didn't find it fun to play against. I may not be great but I play to shoot stuff and try not to die, the loot sucks.

I'm not sure it's always been this way.

It's always been this way. I play the same way as you, but lots of people are different. Nothing wrong with that as long as the people playing together go in with the same expectations. That's why I always wanted people playing Trials w me to care about winning, as opposed to just playing for bounties. Nothing wrong with playing for bounties but that's not what I care about so I shouldn't be playing with people who have different goals. To each their own as always.

I can only assume they hate saying lag because they want to sound clever, but only end up as condescending. They are different things, but it was in no way constructive to point it out.

haha yeah that was kinda my impression as well. I don't want to be overly critical or misread things they say but sometimes their tone just comes off strange. It's a common problem with online communication so I try to give benefit of the doubt as much as possible.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown! I hate laggy matches but tbh when matches are constantly sweaty and people are using the best gear available is when I find Crucible most fun. I really care very little about loot but actually like Destiny PvP, I like Thorn and Firebolts and revive snipes and ball to the wall sweating with a buddy.

I just feel there's this huge difference in the way I see / play the game (log on to shoot people) and in the way I read many others do (log on and try to get loot) - I'm not sure it's always been this way.

Consider two things:

- Some people have fun getting loot
- Some people do not have fun having sweaty after sweaty

Since they still like the loot, they eliminate the sweaty part and just suicide while chilling with fellow gaffers.

WeTeHa

Thanks for posting! Need to level my Sunbreaker...

haha no problem :p Fully leveled my defender subclass and am now leveling sunbreaker as well.

Finally an easy way to grind out the subclasses. Always felt bad when playing my titan because I didn't have weapons or blessing of light.

ocean

Banned
Have you tried to not use Thorn/Matador/burnlock?

When you are at the disadvantage, I'd be interested to see if you you find it as fun.

Personally, I switched from hunter to full-on-easymode thorn-cheeselock, because I found it was the only way to compete against it and I didn't find it fun to play against. I may not be great but I play to shoot stuff and try not to die, the loot sucks.
All 3 Hunter subclasses, Strikers and Sunsingers are fun. Thorn, TLW, Doctrine, MIDA, Matador, PC+1, Benevolence, Stare, Invective, Conspiracy D...all these things can be made to work depending on your play style.

Sure, it's maybe a dozen fun guns in a game with hundreds of em but overall I log on, shoot people and have fun doing it. Doubles elim has tons of sweaty 1v1 situations which I feel are amazing.

And I totally understand not liking any of this. What is strange to me is disliking it but playing it anyways :p
It's always been this way. I play the same way as you, but lots of people are different. Nothing wrong with that as long as the people playing together go in with the same expectations. That's why I always wanted people playing Trials w me to care about winning, as opposed to just playing for bounties. Nothing wrong with playing for bounties but that's not what I care about so I shouldn't be playing with people who have different goals. To each their own as always.

haha yeah that was kinda my impression as well. I don't want to be overly critical or misread things they say but sometimes their tone just comes off strange. It's a common problem with online communication so I try to give benefit of the doubt as much as possible.
To each their own indeed. I'm an average as hell player but I like trying - win or lose, games when you're trying your hardest are the best. I too try to play with peers who are in this mindset most of the time.

I kinda wish Doubles elim was a regular playlist. 1v1s are so tense, I'm addicted.

Gammacide

They would do this, wouldn't they? Just when I say I'm not buying any more silly dances. This would be so good though.

Sad I can't suicide with any of you now. I'm normally not working during the day on Thursday but winter weather has my schedule screwed up. Hopefully I'll get an hour or two in before work tonight.

psylah

which 310 sword is the best?

Got Dark-Drinker (void) last night, it's pretty rad.

I have the last quest ready for the solar sword, is it worth getting?

Holy shit, got a 320 ghost after literally over 40 matches of crap drops.

sogood.gif

Suiciding?

Any despondent guardians out there wanna jump with me?

I need 3 more matches to get my useless drop from the bounty but can be on for the next hour or so ghost hunting...

which 310 sword is the best?

Got Dark-Drinker (void) last night, it's pretty rad.

I have the last quest ready for the solar sword, is it worth getting?

Love both Dark-Drinker and Raze-Lighter but i'll have to say RL is the best simply because of the R2 damage it does to majors. One-shotting majors never felt so good.

S O L A R U P P E R C U T !

Dark-Drinker absolutely wrecks when you have multiple adds, the whirl attack shreds everything in the radius.

No reason not to have both.

WeTeHa

Nooooo, I've had the stupid shimmering "down arrow" bug in the menu on my warlock for months, and now I have it on my titan as well. Fuck that.

What's the problem with letting people have an easy 320 ghost?

If you want 3 of them or you want one with your preferred stat roll, then that's what the grind is for.

But man, Bungie is so miserly.

What's the problem with letting people have an easy 320 ghost?

If you want 3 of them or you want one with your preferred stat roll, then that's what the grind is for.

But man, Bungie is so miserly.

I agree with you John. I'm still amazed that Bungie refuses to give people a clear path to get loot. Why not have packages like IB? Even if the ghosts were to drop at 300 LL I would be happy.

Guys, do you remember all that good will Bungie got back when TTK dropped? Man...what happened...

Will Bungie tout the suicide numbers in the next weekly up-whatever like they usually do with event statistics? :p

Bwah! It will be a snarky observation about lots of folks killing themselves and vague promises of the next event coming up. I'm sure they're still looking in to crucible drops too!

Top Bottom