• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

I can kind of see the pattern here, though. 1 small even, 1 large event, 1 small, 1 large, repeat as necessary.

While SRL may not have felt like a lot to some people, the truth is it involved the full construction of 2 very large PvP maps, that also had PvE enemies. It involved the creation of new mechanics with boost gates. A brand new UI had to be created.
Several armor sets were created. Several Sparrow models were created. The creation of the Horn slot in the UI, as well as a good amount of horns to put in that slot.

All in all, that was a lot of content for a small team. However, that kind of stuff takes a lot of time to design, test, and implement.

Festival of the Lost, and now Crimson Doubles probably took a fraction of the time in comparison. I'd bet FotL and CD took Bungie probably less than 10% of the time SRL needed.

Since Urk said the next even is going to be the biggest one yet, I'm sure that every other event (the small ones) are just going to be hold over events. Things to distract you. So you can look forward to something for a while.

Basically, it's a trade off. The size of the small event is in direct proportion to the size of the large event to follow it.

Yeah, I get that. But this event is a fraction of Festival of the Lost. FotL had 3 quests(?) reskinned Tower Vendors, had consummables that affected the whole world. This thing is only one Quest, entirely PvE focused, and the bounties are pretty much reskins of Shaxx's weekly bounties. There's only 2 shaders and 2 ghosts. It's sad how small this is.

Beyond, that, the Quality of Life items in the patch are pitifully small too. They did do some stuff, like special ammo & and raid glitches, but that's it? Destiny has so many other problems. Can I buy Armor Parts please? Nightfalls should include Year 1 strikes. Drop rates are too low across the board, etc.

I could care less about content. Just give me regular Quality of Life updates and don't be so stingy with your drops, Bungie.

Navy Bean

So you equip Ice Breaker, wait 30 seconds and at the end of round 1 switch to your 1KYS and you have 18 shots. Okay, gg Bungie. Plus, Ice Breaker is still a great weapon.

As others have said, the special ammo nerf was not thought out at all... Trials will be 98% Ice Breaker starts.

Kyoufu

So you equip Ice Breaker, wait 30 seconds and at the end of round 1 switch to your 1KYS and you have 18 shots. Okay, gg Bungie. Plus, Ice Breaker is still a great weapon.

As others have said, the special ammo nerf was not thought out at all... Trials will be 98% Ice Breaker starts.

They'll just nerf Ice Breaker to oblivion.

I'm pretty sure you get the shaders and emblem for completing the bounties. They were at the postmaster because my slots were full after completing / turning in bounties. I never had them drop as activity postgame rewards although I think others have.
Emblem is from Shaxx's quest, shaders are rng from matches. Sometimes they drop as a third item though, so you don't see them on the rewards screen if you got a blue and some strange coins or whatever.

I honestly see no appeal to the ghost. It does literally nothing for me.

I'll probably play for the shaders this weekend, and that's it.

how else will you remember you played a mode called suicide doubles?

I'm pretty sure you get the shaders and emblem for completing the bounties. They were at the postmaster because my slots were full after completing / turning in bounties. I never had them drop as activity postgame rewards although I think others have.

only emblem is the reward from the 'quest'

shaders and ghost drop from playlist

cakely

How do you fix a doubles match though. Less players means more emphasis on individual means sweaty. If you reward only winners then things get sweatier and most will get no loot. Maybe alway reward winners, but only the top performer of the loser?

Doubles elimination should have been quietly added as a new crucible type, and not tied to a tower reskin and an announced holiday event.

It is incredibly not casual, and they obviously realized that, but with the way they handled it, every player sees a new quest from Shaxx and off they go.

Would have been cute if one of the Bounties had you put on the same shader as your teammate. Would have been at least a little bit different.

Yeah, I get that. But this event is a fraction of Festival of the Lost. FotL had 3 quests(?) reskinned Tower Vendors, had consummables that affected the whole world. This thing is only one Quest, entirely PvE focused, and the bounties are pretty much reskins of Shaxx's weekly bounties. There's only 2 shaders and 2 ghosts. It's sad how small this is.

Beyond, that, the Quality of Life items in the patch are pitifully small too. They did do some stuff, like special ammo & and raid glitches, but that's it? Destiny has so many other problems. Can I buy Armor Parts please? Nightfalls should include Year 1 strikes. Drop rates are too low across the board, etc.

I could care less about content. Just give me regular Quality of Life updates and don't be so stingy with your drops, Bungie.

FotL had the following:
  • Decorated Tower
  • Reskinned Curreny boost items
  • Reskinned Weapon XP boost items
  • 3 single step quests
  • 17 new helmets
  • 1 new Crucible map added permanently

You can't really say the Tower Vendors got new skins. They just wore the same helmets we could get as rewards.

Crimson Doubles seems to have
  • Decorated Tower
  • 2 new Ghost Shell items
  • 2 New Shaders
  • 1 single step quest
  • 1 new-ish Crucible game mode
  • 6 modified Bounties (at the cost of regular Weekly PvP bounties)
  • 2 new emotes

Honestly, the two events are pretty close in size. I remember being super bored with FotL after the second day, once I realized it was pretty hard to get new masks.

The Festival of the Lost had 3 quests that us do every activity in the game it felt like. This event is just a lightly-modified PvP playlist.

The bounties really lacks any sort of creativity or what we like to say "FUN".

Bingo. Remember the Atheon step in Festival of the Lost? Now that was some cute fun.

FotL had the following:
  • Decorated Tower
  • 3 single step quests
  • 17 new helmets

You can't really say the Tower Vendors got new skins. They just wore the same helmets we could get as rewards.

• Decorated Tower
  • 2 New Shaders
  • 1 single step quest
  • 2 new emotes

Honestly, the two events are pretty close in size. I remember being super bored with FotL after the second day, once I realized it was pretty hard to get new masks.

FotL had quests that varied from pvp to pve to jumping off the tower. Also a lot of those quests required rng luck or spending money on silver to get the mask required for the quest.

Crimson has 1 quest that is basically play a few matches, and 1 game mode.

CD is way smaller than FotL.

Yes and No and barely emotes. Free emotes that no one will ever use, yay.

I actually enjoyed those. Some had a great sense of humor too, like the quest step to fall off the tower while wearing an Atheon mask.

Yeah, but some of us never got some of the masks needed to do these quests.

I couldn't finish two of the three quests because I never got all the necessary masks to do so.

I couldn't finish two of the three quests because I never got all the necessary masks to do so.

Kor, did you not get issued your complimentary rose colored glasses and salt shaker?

We use the glasses for Year 1 and Taken King launch. Salt Shaker for this week's stuff.

Yeah, FotL had problems, too. Was very grindy, took too much vault space, etc.

The rng masks were a bit of a pain (they should have been heavily weighted to give you ones you didn't have), but I appreciated that there were many ways to get them. Doing almost anything gave you candy to trade for a mask, and three duplicate masks could be traded for a mask...I never felt quite as abused by rng during that event as I do waiting for an end of round reward from a single playlist.

cakely

I was really impressed with the vendor reskinning, in FotL they even had extra (funny!) lines from the actors. It was so encouraging.

Crimson days, however, is the definition of perfunctory.

FotL had quests that varied from pvp to pve to jumping off the tower. Also a lot of those quests required rng luck or spending money on silver to get the mask required for the quest.

Crimson has 1 quest that is basically play a few matches, and 1 game mode.

CD is way smaller than FotL.

Yes and No and barely emotes. Free emotes that no one will ever use, yay.

You can say CD is smaller as many time as you want, but the fact is, looking at the lists I have above, they're pretty comparable in size. Not identical, but FotL was certainly not some huge event that took a week to explore.

Lee

Had a blast playing Crimson Doubles last night. Only had about an hour to play. Everyone on LFG.net had crazy requirements for teammates. I have decent stats and it took me 10 messages to finally get someone, who ended up not being a PvP player at all, but it was great. He was chill, willing to learn about PvP, weapons, loadouts. Had no idea what the Thorn even was until people started pulling it out and I did the same. Really wants to get one now.

It wasn't the un-fun, sweaty grind I expected it to be. Maybe playing with a non-flawless going, non-PvP playing guardian helped us match with easier teams, but all but one match was pretty back and forth. Made a new friend who I'm going to try and get to the lighthouse sometime.

It looks like he kept playing after I went to bed, and wasn't so compatible with his next teammate. Oh well. Hopefully he still had fun.

Elo K D A K/D Win% Games
1176 44 58 10 0.76 40.00 10
1247 53 21 14 2.52 80.00 5

As for drops, no ghost shells and I got one shader and one legendary boot engram. Teammate didn't get any legendaries, shaders, or shells.

Anyone want to hold down R2 with me? Its like holding hands only with loot and I'll probably be doing dishes.

Edit: Doing it with an LFG dude. The craigslist of crimson doubles.

Lnkn52

Bungo plz, I just want to win in Crimson Doubles and not commit suicide constantly.

http://www.destinylfg.com/

hJ4VkcM.png

GhaleonEB

FotL had the following:
  • Decorated Tower
  • 3 single step quests
  • 17 new helmets

• Decorated Tower
  • 2 New Shaders
  • 1 single step quest
  • 2 new emotes

I really disagree with this. FotL had a LOT more going on than just a playlist and a couple bounties, it felt like an actual event, not a single playlist.

CD bounties are barely updated from regular Crucible bounties, while FotL had a lot of fun, silly custom ones just for the event (fall off the tower with an Atheon mask), and it had quite a few of them. It had Tower trick or treating, with some great writing gags (Eris giving out boxes of raisins, Kayde wearing an Eris mask). The entire Tower was decked out, not just the plaza. The system of getting a candy bag, filling it, turning it in for a mask, dismantling masks for another bag, the numerous (renamed) consumables, the return of the jack'o'lantern masks, dramatically more elaborate Tower decorations, in addition to the good number of masks to chase (and one free permanent one).

Most crucially, it spanned PvE as well as PvP and was something everyone could participate in. It doesn't matter how big the event is when it's a 2v2 PvP playlist with no fireteam matchmaking - that appeals to a subset of a subset of a subset of the player base. Even if they poured a lot more resources into it, it's limited in scope and appeal.

FoTL is still my favorite of the three events we've had because it was so detailed and spilled out well beyond a playlist to encapsulate the entire game. CD is barely even there.

WeTeHa

THIS IS WHAT DESTINY HAS BECOME

I don't mind the suicide farming. The drop rates are so terrible that I feel like I would be wasting way too much time to get some decent drops. That way I can get some work done while destiny is running in the background. Got a 320 ghost and decent XP to avoid the subclass grind. Would I be happier if there was actual content I wanted to play AND get useful rewards at the same time? Sure, but you make do with what you have.

Also, we just met a team that was suicide farming as well. I have no idea how long the match was going on but when I came into the room I had to remove my rubberband so someone could win :D

I really disagree with this. FotL had a LOT more going on than just a playlist and a couple bounties, it felt like an actual event, not a single playlist.

CD bounties are barely updated from regular Crucible bounties, while FotL had a lot of fun, silly custom ones just for the event (fall off the tower with an Atheon mask), and it had quite a few of them. It had Tower trick or treating, with some great writing gags (Eris giving out boxes of raisins, Kayde wearing an Eris mask). The entire Tower was decked out, not just the plaza. The system of getting a candy bag, filling it, turning it in for a mask, dismantling masks for another bag, the numerous (renamed) consumables, the return of the jack'o'lantern masks, dramatically more elaborate Tower decorations, in addition to the good number of masks to chase (and one free permanent one).

Most crucially, it spanned PvE as well as PvP and was something everyone could participate in. It doesn't matter how big the event is when it's a 2v2 PvP playlist with no fireteam matchmaking - that appeals to a subset of a subset of a subset of the player base. Even if they poured a lot more resources into it, it's limited in scope and appeal.

FoTL is still my favorite of the three events we've had because it was so detailed and spilled out well beyond a playlist to encapsulate the entire game. CD is barely even there.

I'll submit that the Scope of the event was a big misstep. Funneling their players into such a specific mode with no matchmaking was certainly a bad choice.

But I would argue that the actual "content" is still comparable.

Of course, I'm using this scale to go off of now:

• Tier 1 - Full Title (Vanilla, whatever D2 likely is)
  • Tier 2 - What was formally known as Comet Expansions. TTK being the main exmaple
  • Tier 3 - What Bungie called expansions, but most of us think as DLC. House of Wolves and Dark Below fit here.
  • Tier 4 - Events with Substance - An Event that has a big enough impact on the game to really change up peoples playing habits. Example being SRL.
  • Tier 5 - Events lacking Substance - An Event that is mostly cosmetic, and has minimal impact on playing habits, if any at all. Examples being FotL and Crimson Deaths.
  • Tier 6 - Random Free stuff for no effort. Such as 2014 Xmas free legendary, or the 2016 New years free Emblem

Well, I imagine investors will want to know if there'll be a big Destiny game for sale this fall. Since there won't be, I imagine they'll have to mention that in some way tomorrow.
Well this will be interesting later today, as Jason says the launch of D2 in Q4 or lack thereof will have a material impact on earnings so they're obliged to say whether it will arrive or not. I'm not expecting much beyond confirmation of whether it launches this year or not as features don't interest traders

ocean

Banned
All I need to hold me over until the sequel is maybe some new PvP maps and further tweaks to the matchmaking algorithm. As the player base dwindles, the skill weight will make lag unbearable.

Let me stomp one game and be stomped the next and sweat a super close match the next, whatever, but lag free. Since I play this as a shooter, the lack of "new content" doesn't really bother me that much - as long as logging in to shoot people is fun the game is still what I need it to be. Lag is fucking killing it though.

Top Bottom