• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Lnkn52

Quantum Break just announced that if you buy the Xbox version, you would get the Windows 10 version for free and the saves would sync up.

Imagine these capabilities if Destiny was on PC. I would keep my xbox at work.

Top Of Page Edit: Make sure to give your Valentine the present he/she deserves....

tumblr_nvn5ap7gL31ui47k3o1_500.gif

Jafku

Quantum Break just announced that if you buy the Xbox version, you would get the Windows 10 version for free and the saves would sync up.

Imagine these capabilities if Destiny was on PC. I would keep my xbox at work.

Top Of Page Edit: Make sure to give your Valentine the present he/she deserves....

tumblr_nvn5ap7gL31ui47k3o1_500.gif
Definitely getting Quantum Break. Before I was thinking of just renting it. Cross-Buy!

I played CD for a couple hours last night, finished all bounties and... enjoyed it.

I mean if I'm going to nitpick and jump on the bandwagon then the maps are too big for doubles, there should be more bounties and weeklies as this is a week long event, and the drop rate for the most sought after piece of loot in the game is too low.

I hope they make these type of events all skill-based matchmaking with the winning team getting the only / best rewards to eliminate the suiciding / idling nonsense.

Guys, do you remember all that good will Bungie got back when TTK dropped? Man...what happened...

The problem with Year 2 is that it only lasted 3 months. I'm glad they tried something different and it sounded like the Year 1 DLC model wasn't sustainable anyway. But it's clear now that the Live team doesn't have the manpower to keep interest in the game afloat. I have no idea what Years 3-10 will look like, but I'm very curious to find out.

So when is this Activision Call suppose to happen?

M76hoN5.gif

I played CD for a couple hours last night, finished all bounties and... enjoyed it.

I mean if I'm going to nitpick and jump on the bandwagon then the maps are too big for doubles, there should be more bounties and weeklies as this is a week long event, and the drop rate for the most sought after piece of loot in the game is too low.

I hope they make these type of events all skill-based matchmaking with the winning team getting the only / best rewards to eliminate the suiciding / idling nonsense.
So what about the people who are terrible at PvP and lose constantly? They shouldn't get anything?

WeTeHa

Another poop ghost at 311.

Also got an Ash Factory with horseshoes & grenades, but the launcher only holds one rocket... that sucks.

giphy.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying Crimson Doubles, but making event loot more difficult to get will only make things even worse for the community. These events should be a fun time for everyone!

So what about the people who are terrible at PvP and lose constantly? They shouldn't get anything?

Well, a skill-based algorithm should lessen those issues in placing the right players against one another. Sure, folks will manipulate the system but they always will no matter what.

And if you're that bad and cannot get better then why would you be playing something that isn't fun for you in the first place? To get a ghost? That won't be 320 anyways? That you can get in other game-modes?

This coming from someone who is average at the very best in PvP.

deadduck

All 3 Hunter subclasses, Strikers and Sunsingers are fun. Thorn, TLW, Doctrine, MIDA, Matador, PC+1, Benevolence, Stare, Invective, Conspiracy D...all these things can be made to work depending on your play style.

Sure you can play as 3 classes, but the question I was asking badly is have you played anything other than THE op doubles meta class (Burnlock/res/flameshield) with yr1 weapons?

If so, did you still have fun?

What was you LL?

I think you have to be 300+ to get a 300+ ghost but can't be sure.

I was 299 on hunter and got only 280-299 ghosts, on my titan i was 300 and all the ghosts were 300+

"Playing" the game should be the fun time with the goal to win the match and "earn" the rewards.

Yes that's how it should be in most cases but you don't get anything for winning, that's the whole point of not caring about the wins.

It'a loot based game and if the losing teams don't get anything then more players will stop playing.

lawtowler

So I'm yet to dabble in Crimson Doubles and tbh I'm not sure I will after reading the reaction to it on here/reddit/twitter.

Sounds like I haven't missed anything. People wiping instantly to get a shot at a 320 ghost shell quicker. When people actually do play it sounds sweatier than trials!

Have Bungie messed this one up?

It does seem like they are burning through that good will rapidly now...

How long can they continue to pretend everything is OK? The number of active players must be plummeting.

Future

I agree with you John. I'm still amazed that Bungie refuses to give people a clear path to get loot. Why not have packages like IB? Even if the ghosts were to drop at 300 LL I would be happy.

Guys, do you remember all that good will Bungie got back when TTK dropped? Man...what happened...

People realized "forever 29" was still forever 307, or 317 or whatever is near the end goal because of bungies shit loot design. You can never aim for lots of build variety in loot because most of what you get has trash numbers and takes too long to upgrade up to relevance. So end game content still compels you to use the same equipment that has the highest level.

I feel like some psychologist gave them some info that if you ever let people get loot at max level, they will lose drive to play. And that only the vocal hardcore want build variety, so they have to keep appealing to that inert base drive I get things to the highest level to compel people to play. It's the only way to explain their insistence to keep high level loot extremely rare

cakely

So I'm yet to dabble in Crimson Doubles and tbh I'm not sure I will after reading the reaction to it on here/reddit/twitter.

Sounds like I haven't missed anything. People wiping instantly to get a shot at a 320 ghost shell quicker. When people actually do play it sounds sweatier than trials!

How long can they continue to pretend everything is OK? The number of active players must be plummeting.

Yes. Yes they have.

Realistically, though, it's not a subscription-based game. They got their money from every player and all that matters now is how well will a sequel sell.

The answer is "most likely better than the original", no matter what they do with the original game at this point.

How much grimoire is CD? I'll hop on to get that lol.

Though it does count towards the Doubles grimoire which is worth 15 total but requires 100 wins.

Yes. Yes they have.

Realistically, though, it's not a subscription-based game. They got their money from every player and all that matters now is how well will a sequel sell.

The answer is "most likely better than the original", no matter what they do with the original game at this point.

Except they need money coming in for the Live Team to still do Live Team things.

If they don't keep their population level stabilized. Those emotes and other microtransactions are going to start bleeding profits more and more as time goes on.

I think you have to 300+ to get a 300+ ghost but can't be sure.

I was 299 on hunter and got only 280-299 ghosts, on my titan i was 300 and all the ghosts were 300+

giphy.gif

On a playlist where power is not enabled, the rewards are power dependent? I mean, I know regular Crucible is like this, which is a problem, but where the reward is specifically a 320 ghost... If we can't use Year 1 guns and get the rewards, then don't let us use Year 1 weapons!

giphy.gif

No loot game is as bad as Destiny.

Still looking for that first pink ghost shell of any roll...anyone want to play some crimson doubles? Play to win or rubberband to the loot screen, I don't care either way.

Surely after 12 hours of this trash mode, it's my turn for rngesus to finally deliver unto me a single ghost, right?

Deku Tree

Still looking for that first pink ghost shell of any roll...anyone want to play some crimson doubles? Play to win or rubberband to the loot screen, I don't care either way.

Surely after 12 hours of this trash mode, it's my turn for rngesus to finally deliver unto me a single ghost, right?

I'll rubber and with u for a few.

People realized "forever 29" was still forever 307, or 317 or whatever is near the end goal because of bungies shit loot design. You can never aim for lots of build variety in loot because most of what you get has trash numbers and takes too long to upgrade up to relevance. So end game content still compels you to use the same equipment that has the highest level.

I feel like some psychologist gave them some info that if you ever let people get loot at max level, they will lose drive to play. And that only the vocal hardcore want build variety, so they have to keep appealing to that inert base drive I get things to the highest level to compel people to play. It's the only way to explain their insistence to keep high level loot extremely rare

There head of user research is probably to do with it, written way back in 2001 http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3085/behavioral_game_design.php

Reddit thread on it https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...destiny_addictive_formula_detailed_by_bungie/

Who was the dude on Twitter saying he was just promoted to player rewards, I think its about time he met Mike Ehrmantrout

Future

Yes. Yes they have.

How do you fix a doubles match though. Less players means more emphasis on individual means sweaty. If you reward only winners then things get sweatier and most will get no loot. Maybe alway reward winners, but only the top performer of the loser?

I know it's impossible to know the real answer, but I can't help but wonder how different this event might have played out if 320 ghosts weren't super rare to come across. (read: if loot drops were better in general)

How do you fix a doubles match though. Less players means more emphasis on individual means sweaty. If you reward only winners then things get sweatier and most will get no loot. Maybe alway reward winners, but only the top performer of the loser?

Crimson Doubles should have been 3 teams of 2. One team spawning at the A zone, B zone, and C zone respectively. Elimination should not have been a thing, as it is too restrictive on the weapons and players.

So 3 teams of 2, playing Salvage (or fighting over their reservation at the restaurant). Adjust point values of capturing, dismantling, and holding as needed.

I played 16 matches in CD and the competitiveness was all over the map from idling (only one time did I experience this, fortunately) to domination, to being dominated, and then the intense matches which I guess people like to call "sweaty."

That said, once it was known that there was not going to be any public matchmaking and you had to form your own doubles team it should have been obvious that there was going to be a more competitive nature to this event. I haven't experienced the constant intense matches but I haven't played a ton either.

Still no crimson shell for you? sad face

Poop ghosts drops way more I believe, only seen 1 crimson drop for me and 0 for any team mates, but poop ghosts drop way more frequently.

Also how lazy is the events team that they could not even care to put in a preview image for the 2 new ghosts?

WipedOut

I know it's impossible to know the real answer, but I can't help but wonder how different this event might have played out if 320 ghosts weren't super rare to come across. (read: if loot drops were better in general)

Crimson Doubles should have been 3 teams of 2. One team spawning at the A zone, B zone, and C zone respectively. Elimination should not have been a thing, as it is too restrictive on the weapons and players.

So 3 teams of 2, playing Salvage (or fighting over their reservation at the restaurant). Adjust point values of capturing, dismantling, and holding as needed.

I only wonder how well TTK would have played out if Loot in general wasn't rare AF. They need to get away from this numbers game. TDB and HOW did it much better than this TK bullshit.

Still don't understand why Ghost and Class Items dropping at high LL is still super rare.

Kyoufu

Poop ghosts drops way more I believe, only seen 1 crimson drop for me and 0 for any team mates, but poop ghosts drop way more frequently.

Also how lazy is the events team that they could not even care to put in a preview image for the 2 new ghosts?

It'd be lazy if they had a sizeable team on these events, but I doubt they do.

Studio resources must be thin as hell for these events. I imagine they're working on meeting contractual obligations.

Probably like most MMO holiday events, where the focus is on the fun festival, and eveyone does a bunch of relatively easy, lighthearted fun quests, and walks away happy from the limited time event with a load of neat, themed toys.

That's really what is missing for me here, holiday events should be inclusive. Who cares if everyone gets things quickly? It's a holiday. Let me goof around with fun ghosts, shaders, and silly consumables that let me shoot cupid arrows at people with floaty heart effects and an emote that says "Will you be Teasing_Pink's valentine?"

Instead I'm just sour that I can't get a random drop pink ghost because the rng hates me.

WipedOut

Probably like most MMO holiday events, where the focus is on the fun festival, and eveyone does a bunch of relatively easy, lighthearted fun quests, and walks away happy from the limited time event with a load of neat, themed toys.

That's really what is missing for me here, holiday events should be inclusive. Who cares if everyone gets things quickly? It's a holiday. Let me goof around with fun ghosts, shaders, and silly consumables that let me shoot cupid arrows at people with floaty heart effects and an emote that says "Will you be Teasing_Pink's valentine?"

Instead I'm just sour that I can't get a random drop pink ghost because the rng hates me.

That's the problem with their loot system. When you advertise your event with such few rewards they shouldn't drop in such low numbers. With the amount of games I put in yesterday and to only have 1 drop is absurd. Hopefully you'll get yours soon.

It'd be lazy if they had a sizeable team on these events, but I doubt they do.

Studio resources must be thin as hell for these events. I imagine they're working on meeting contractual obligations.

Yeah, but Microtranscations were supposed to subsidize them. This event is tiny, and stingy as hell.

I mean, the Candy consumable is for Weapon XP, for chrissakes. Weapon XP? Who needs that!!? There are already Telemetries. Armor XP is what we need. So out of touch.

Despite having a live team, Bungie's priorities are still clearly focused on big releases, not on the live game. Which is incredibly frustrating.

I only wonder how well TTK would have played out if Loot in general wasn't rare AF. They need to get away from this numbers game. TDB and HOW did it much better than this TK bullshit.

This is the biggest issue as it is the only reason most folks are still playing the same content week-in and week-out.

The funny thing is Bungie has stated that maxing LL doesn't really matter yet the possible rewards for SRL / CD (Class Items, Helmets and now Ghosts up to 320 LL) were and are the most sought after items in the chase for 320 so it absolutely matters to a lot of players and they know it with these reward possibilities.

I told myself that once I got to 315 on all my characters it would be good enough. Nope, it wasn't, I had to get maxed on all 3 and I did. The hook is deep with the number's game.

E92 M3

Though it does count towards the Doubles grimoire which is worth 15 total but requires 100 wins.

Except they need money coming in for the Live Team to still do Live Team things.

If they don't keep their population level stabilized. Those emotes and other microtransactions are going to start bleeding profits more and more as time goes on.

Not sure how much but pretty sure you get the card just flying into the tower.

Thanks

Yeah, but Microtranscations were supposed to subsidize them. This event is tiny, and stingy as hell.

Despite having a live team, Bungie's priorities are still clearly focused on big releases, not on the live game. Which is incredibly frustrating.

I can kind of see the pattern here, though. 1 small even, 1 large event, 1 small, 1 large, repeat as necessary.

While SRL may not have felt like a lot to some people, the truth is it involved the full construction of 2 very large PvP maps, that also had PvE enemies. It involved the creation of new mechanics with boost gates. A brand new UI had to be created.
Several armor sets were created. Several Sparrow models were created. The creation of the Horn slot in the UI, as well as a good amount of horns to put in that slot.

All in all, that was a lot of content for a small team. However, that kind of stuff takes a lot of time to design, test, and implement.

Festival of the Lost, and now Crimson Doubles probably took a fraction of the time in comparison. I'd bet FotL and CD took Bungie probably less than 10% of the time SRL needed.

Since Urk said the next even is going to be the biggest one yet, I'm sure that every other event (the small ones) are just going to be hold over events. Things to distract you. So you can look forward to something for a while.

Basically, it's a trade off. The size of the small event is in direct proportion to the size of the large event to follow it.

Hm, could be. Jafku got three ghosts last night while we were farming (one 320!), but all three were brown.

Raven117

Yes. Yes they have.

This. Everybody seems to take the fall off with Destiny so personally. I don't see the problem.

Year 1 was great. Year 2 is shaping up to be nothing. Year 3 will have a bigger and badder sequel. Rinse and repeat the cycle. We pay for each installment.

Seems like a completely feasible business plan.

Since Urk said the next even is going to be the biggest one yet, I'm sure that every other event (the small ones) are just going to be hold over events. Things to distract you. So you can look forward to something for a while.

I just cannot see a significant piece of content being released that is not a paid DLC / Expansion even with the microtransaction stuff.

Kyoufu

Year 2 has been a disappointment. I could have stomached VoG, CE and PoE for a year but I can't do King's Fall for a year. Sorry Luke Smith.

But the ghosts should have been tied to completing the bounties. Not RNG drops.

Yup. I would be fine with this.

Good post. Event drops should drop like crazy. It's a limited time thing. Why on earth should these rewards be so rare?

I just cannot see a significant piece of content being released that is not a paid DLC / Expansion even with the microtransaction stuff.

Same here TTK cost less than original Destiny to buy (retail and digital) and there's no way they've made more money from emotes than everyone paying $34.99 for the two DLC packs.

Though as said before "bigger than anything since TTK launched" isn't a very high hurdle to clear

I honestly see no appeal to the ghost. It does literally nothing for me.

I'll probably play for the shaders this weekend, and that's it.

I'm pretty sure you get the shaders and emblem for completing the bounties. They were at the postmaster because my slots were full after completing / turning in bounties. I never had them drop as activity postgame rewards although I think others have. You seemingly also get a package reward for turning in the main bounty or whatever that one is as the player I was playing with got a 312 ghost and an exotic helmet. I got a legendary engram and an exotic helmet.

Top Bottom