• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Deku Tree

That's not exactly what was said in that podcast. The designer explains in great detail why Destiny doesn't have private matches right now. It's partly demand, and partly Bungie-side cost of getting such a feature working and being good.

I don't want private games to watch streamers circlejerk about how good they are, which is what the podcasters keep hammering on. I want full gametype scripting and map editing to go with gametypes for full experiences. If Destiny is going to have customs, it should do it very well, and not be a step back from Reach.

Being able to choose just a map would be less features than Halo 1.

Destiny Forge? Those are the kinds of features that would only come with a full new game IMO.

FyreWulff

Destiny Forge? Those are the kinds of features that would only come with a full new game IMO.

For sure, I think an useful Forge for Destiny can only be done on next-gen. And I hope they get one.

The only issue I see is that dForge variants could end up being made out of date by later Destiny patches.. but I think it'd be worth it for a constantly upgraded tool.

FyreWulff

Hoo boy that'd be tough. You're talking about morphing terrain?

Yeah.

Halo can't do it without a gigantic overhaul because of how their terrain is setup and the fact that Forge is treated as an actual game session.. Destiny has a new way of doing geometry and theoretically should have a "solo" map editor ala Far Cry/Timesplitters so that it doesn't have to deal with that limitation.

That's why Halo 5 has that "terrain projection" with the terrain pieces, they're working around that limitation

Yeah.

Halo can't do it without a gigantic overhaul because of how their terrain is setup and the fact that Forge is treated as an actual game session.. Destiny has a new way of doing geometry and theoretically should have a "solo" map editor ala Far Cry/Timesplitters so that it doesn't have to deal with that limitation.

That's why Halo 5 has that "terrain projection" with the terrain pieces, they're working around that limitation

I feel Bungie would need a whole new engine. Seeing as their current engine needs 8 hours to load up and then to save it....definitely a new engine that's friendlier for that.

FyreWulff

I feel Bungie would need a whole new engine. Seeing as their current engine needs 8 hours to load up and then to save it....definitely a new engine that's friendlier for that.

Not an engine problem itself, I think, that's more the tooling/middleware.. they had similar problems with older Halo titles taking a long time to build stuff and being fragile, and later ones being faster and more robust.

I think most of that "8 hours" is probably the engine cross-referencing and cross-compiling the map since it has to deal with all the possible instances and zones and other areas and representing that all to the servers and clients cohesively. You can always optimize that downward. So you can't just move a public event and save, it has to do all the cross referencing again. Optimization would mean figuring out a way to save delta changes without recompiling the whole thing. And then you have to rebake the lighting, which can take a while, if you do any geometry changes. Halo maps only ever needed it once for final, for Destiny it has to happen if they change the maps for anything (and then the maps also have to support different times of day...)

dForge variants would be referencing pre-compiled objects and data, and I have a feeling MP maps are probably faster to compile since they're standalone geometry and instances anyway.

i have a similar issue with a game I made a long time ago, it doesn't support delta changes to any of the game scripting data. So if I want to make a one line change, I have to wait 20 minutes for the whole compile because the game can cross-reference variables into every cutscene, script, dialogue, etc.

that's just my hot take on all that. solvable problem, at any rate. to me it doesn't mean their engine was bad, it just means their engine is legitimately new and they have to re-acquire all the robustness and battle testing the Halo engine went through.

I'm just listening to the Planet Destiny podcast with Leif and he said, its "unfortunate" Ice Breaker and sidearms slipped through there intended changes :d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6hwSm4WyAM&list=PL-ncH812VtHEuig93Hjh_rLCTWqUC1-Ps&index=1

When discussing why they picked Elimination as the game mode for Crimson Doubles: "Skirmish is deceptively snow-bally"

....deceptive? How is it remotely deceptive? Every game mode is hugely snow-bally, Trials is just the smallest ball. That's the whole problem with kills-->super-->orbs-->supers-->kills-->heavy-->kills-->supers-->orbs etc etc.

More often than not, the team that wins the initial engagements is the more skilled team. So now you make it easier for more skilled players to get kills by giving them special ammo control and supers, and consequently harder for the less skilled players since they're battling special weapons and supers. Easy super kills lead to map control during heavy spawns so now the more skilled team gets even easier kills with heavy ammo (for way too long, with machine guns especially). By now the snowball is hurtling downhill at warp speed. This is such basic game design stuff, I dunno. Salt salt salt.

Yeah, i was surprised as well :D.

Yo, sorry for disappearing there. Sounds like you were able to knock it out 3x anyway which is good to hear!

We ended up finishing off the rest of Halo 1 Legendary campaign. Next up: Halo 2 Legendary. I've been told it's much more difficult....

Listened to this a bit and they are very a adement on their changes to the crucible.

The community wants custom games but they feel like it's not necessary, even for the sweaty community. As well with SBMM. They don't want casual pvp players games to be sweaty.

Its really weird their view on top players its like they don't want anyone to be any better than the next guy. Theres another PS4 tourney tonight, which will be ignored by them, If they made a bit of effort it could really take off

Edit Wars about to play his second match http://www.twitch.tv/warbulletproof

Drizzay time to play some CD on my behalf, get me the chocolate or strawberry flavored ghost!

But you've already got a 320 ghost! Unlike me! ;_;

haha I'll do some matches on both of our accounts before the event ends. Probably today or tomorrow, just to get it over with. I'll also try to get Golgi CM 3x done before reset if I can, especially since we'll be getting a light level increase probably around the time you're back in action. Now I don't have to worry too much about leaving stuff for you to do :p

Hope that sugary shell has some salt for you Drizzay. Kappa

z59rw.jpg

deadduck

I'm liking these special changes.

* people are more uncomfortable using sidearms and Icebreaker
* people feel helpless without special and camp in predictable places
* made me realise how awesome sidearms are
* boring passive team don't have a 'camp the spawn' hard scoping lanes advantage.

You can take the primary fight to them and often they don't know how to handle it.

Will be even better when special doesn't transfer on death weapon swap.

When discussing why they picked Elimination as the game mode for Crimson Doubles: "Skirmish is deceptively snow-bally"

....deceptive? How is it remotely deceptive? Every game mode is hugely snow-bally, Trials is just the smallest ball. That's the whole problem with kills-->super-->orbs-->supers-->kills-->heavy-->kills-->supers-->orbs etc etc.

They just pull stuff out of their arse, the other month Skirmish was the purest Crucible experience

But you've already got a 320 ghost! Unlike me! ;_;

haha I'll do some matches on both of our accounts before the event ends. Probably today or tomorrow, just to get it over with. I'll also try to get Golgi CM 3x done before reset if I can, especially since we'll be getting a light level increase probably around the time you're back in action. Now I don't have to worry too much about leaving stuff for you to do :p
You up for Crimson doubles now by any chance? Still need those shaders

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks again for the 7 matches Nami, that was honestly a lot more painless than expected. I don't think I was actually killed by thorn a single time?

WeTeHa

Yo, sorry for disappearing there. Sounds like you were able to knock it out 3x anyway which is good to hear!

Yeah no worries, after some troubles on our first run we had a pretty smooth second and third run including daughters and oryx with two first timers :)

I just tried helping some other guys that messaged me and asked if I could help with oryx HM. Right from the start some guy was talking to the 2 newbies "yeah don't screw up I don't want to spend a lot of time here yada yada" and after the first 3 wipes everybody started blaming each other.

This is why I hate playing with randoms. I'm just not having fun when people start insulting and blaming each other. Being salty and raging is totally okay (I do it too), but insulting others when they screw up is just not my cup of tea :/

Top Bottom