• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

When Johansen surmised that highly skilled players will never be put into a situation where they lose the majority of their engagements, I was surprised to hear the podcasters react like it was a poignant truth bomb rather than baseless nonsense.

It's another demonstration that above average players' experiences are qualitatively trivialized when analyzing the matchmaking system, and I think it's a real shame because it cuts against the majority opinion of the community if you look at the overall response to the matchmaking changes. In essence, the system shifts the beatings up the ladder to generally more invested players, and this reality, despite the overwhelming anecdotes of its detrimental impact, is hand-waved away with nonsensical pubstomping arguments or specious assertions like Johansen's.

He seems like a good, smart dude, so it's really shitty to see behind the veil and learn that some of the foundational reasoning for the current system is so fundamentally flawed.

Trials today is extra sweaty. That munch gawd guy that we faced has a 2565 ELO ape..

Lol of course!

Sorry I got a bit salty. Trials is 0 fun when I am dying only to lag. I've outshot TLW with the Doctrine plently of times, but no matter what I did I couldn't outshoot TLW with lag perk.

todd360

The community wants custom games but they feel like it's not necessary, even for the sweaty community. As well with SBMM. They don't want casual pvp players games to be sweaty.

Custom games aren't necessary..................................................... Wtf happened to bungie? Is deej running the god damn ship over there? Stop worrying about the god damn casuals.

Victor god damn Sullivan

When Johansen surmised that highly skilled players will never be put into a situation where they lose the majority of their engagements, I was surprised to hear the podcasters react like it was a poignant truth bomb rather than baseless nonsense.

It's another demonstration that above average players' experiences are qualitatively trivialized when analyzing the matchmaking system, and I think it's a real shame because it cuts against the majority opinion of the community if you look at the overall response to the matchmaking changes. In essence, the system shifts the beatings up the ladder to generally more invested players, and this reality, despite the overwhelming anecdotes of its detrimental impact, is hand-waved away with nonsensical pubstomping arguments or specious assertions like Johansen's.

He seems like a good, smart dude, so it's really shitty to see behind the veil and learn that some of the foundational reasoning for the current system is so fundamentally flawed.

Custom games aren't necessary..................................................... Wtf happened to bungie? Is deej running the god damn ship over there? Stop worrying about the god damn casuals.

Victor god damn Sullivan

I said the same earlier, they're terrified of anyone being slightly good at the game.

Victor god damn Sullivan

Someone had a good comment about this on Reddit. Basically, custom games could potentially diminish Bungie's PvP events. IMO Bungie doesn't want player's to have too much control for whatever reason.

But also, seriously, it's dumb that Destiny doesn't have custom games.

the_id

Lol of course!

Sorry I got a bit salty. Trials is 0 fun when I am dying only to lag. I've outshot TLW with the Doctrine plently of times, but no matter what I did I couldn't outshoot TLW with lag perk.
Enjoyed playing with you guys. Sorry I was scrubby but got to learn heaps from playing with you two.

Someone had a good comment about this on Reddit. Basically, custom games could potentially diminish Bungie's PvP events. IMO Bungie doesn't want player's to have too much control for whatever reason.

It doesn't even have to be legit "custom" just an easy way to match 3v3 or 6v6 in any game mode

todd360

I said the same earlier, they're terrified of anyone being slightly good at the game.

Yet they love the streamers. This is truly the dark timeline.

That's bullshit. Custom games won't cut into that at all. You show us the loot and we will come. It has been proved time and time again. People will suicide every match for dat loot, which shows that they will show up and not even play your gametype if loot is involved. Custom games have no loot drops and everything is fine.

Game just hard crashed on me for the first time.
Straight to PS4 UI with an error code CE bla bla. WTF?! o_O
And of course it happened right at the end of Golgy CM. -_-

Anyone got Golgy CP to share?

Yet they love the streamers. This is truly the dark timeline.

That's bullshit. Custom games won't cut into that at all. You show us the loot and we will come. It has been proved time and time again. People will suicide every match for dat loot, which shows that they will show up and not even play your gametype if loot is involved. Custom games have no loot drops and everything is fine.

They love Goth, Broman and Leahloveschief i.e all the happy clappy kool aid streamers. Kraftys massive and done more than any of them combined yet he'll probably never get a mention. Same for Nghtly, War and all the other PvP streamers who get a huge following when they stream

They're just playing the casual percentage and fuck the rest

It doesn't even have to be legit "custom" just an easy way to match 3v3 or 6v6 in any game mode

This is probably enough. The competitive players have managed to find a way to do it anyway.

I think the main problem with the way Bungie 'balances' the game is their goals are not balance per se but rather they wish to curate the Destiny experience. It is why they never really listen to the fanbase and introduce changes that produce a WTF?

I think we all want to just play the game with whatever weapons/perks/skills we feel like. The curation is intrusive and unnecessary.

They love Goth, Broman and Leahloveschief i.e all the happy clappy kool aid streamers. Kraftys massive and done more than any of them combined yet he'll probably never get a mention. Same for Nghtly, War and all the other PvP streamers who get a huge following when they stream

I actually never noticed this. Krafty is second only to Goth in viewership and he does literally thousands of carries to the lighthouse and i've never seen Bungie mention him. He also shit talks the game all the time. Hmmm

the_id

come to think of it, that is true.

I actually never noticed this. Krafty is second only to Goth in viewership and he does literally thousands of carries to the lighthouse and i've never seen Bungie mention him. He also shit talks the game all the time. Hmmm

come to think of it, that is true.

Look at Krafty taking that 7yr old to the lighthouse, probably the best thing thats ever happened in the game, not a mention. He's definitely on there radar as he's carried Cozmo a few times

This is why I get so annoyed with all Deej's bullshit. Some of us like living on the edge

the_id

Trials or crimson?
I'm up for some more trials. Be prepared to get pubstomped

Look at Krafty taking that 7yr old to the lighthouse, probably the best thing thats ever happened in the game, not a mention. He's definitely on there radar as he's carried Cozmo a few times

This is why I get so annoyed with all Deej's bullshit. Some of us like living on the edge
Krafty has a great personality. Should by Deej at lease in the community update or something.

phen0m24

Watch Gen_e_us on twitch. Dawn (our Bungie friend) is in the same clan - dude does double carries and last night he beat MACM who is #2 while doing a double
http://destinytracker.com/destiny/leaderboards/ps/sitescore?grouped=true&page=1

Gene at http://twitch.tv/gen_e_us

I'm up for some more trials. Be prepared to get pubstomped

Krafty has a great personality. Should by Deej at lease in the community update or something.

Watch Gen_e_us on twitch. Dawn (our Bungie friend) is in the same clan - dude does double carries and last night he beat MACM who is #2 while doing a double
http://destinytracker.com/destiny/leaderboards/ps/sitescore?grouped=true&page=1

Gene at http://twitch.tv/gen_e_us

Server not found for both :p

I'm trying to get this Golgi CM knocked out now but if you were still looking to do CD afterwards I'd be down to run 7 games on Grave's account for that guaranteed Ghost that he requested :p
Ok I'm gonna busy with family soon so I won't be around for a while but I might be on later tonight

Mindlog

Custom games aren't necessary. The fuck?
Do they watch the boring matchmaking clusterfuckery that happens during these tournaments?

That's about the level as Sony saying rumble isn't necessary simply because they didn't want to deal with licensing it for the DS3 then turning around and incorporating it anyway.

Ladders are necessary too, but lol at that pipe dream.

Invite Blizzard over and learn something again.

todd360

Look at Krafty taking that 7yr old to the lighthouse, probably the best thing thats ever happened in the game, not a mention.

The best thing that ever happened in the game was when that one guy deleted a seven year old's characters for the lolz.

Or maybe just cyounexttime shenanigans.

I am fine with starting at totems for the Golgi Challenge.

Sounds like we've got at least 3 for doing Golgi CM, starting at Totems. Anyone else?

Oh man you're in for a treat. You're about to become really familiar with the plasma pistol. And jackel snipers. Fucking jackel snipers.

haha yeah Unstable has warned me many times about the damn jackel snipers. I'm excited to see the differences, especially since Halo 2 got the fanciest remastered version.

Honestly I thought Halo 1 has aged really, really well. It felt great to play and the missions are pretty uniformly fantastic. Really long objectives where you feel like you've accomplished something by the end, instead of these 5 minute bite-sized Destiny missions. Even the infamous Library has some nice stuff going on, with the big story payoff at the end (although the repetition across 4 floors gets pretty silly). I've gotten so tired of cover-based military shooters over the years that I really missed the circle-strafe gameplay of classic Halo, even all the way back to Doom or Wolfenstein 3D.

I love active shooters, with enemy projectiles to avoid. Instead of cover mechanics + hitscan weapons + regenerating health where it's just assumed that you'll regenerate more damage than you take instead of actually trying to avoid taking damage.... That's the brilliance of Destiny's PvE: lots of hitscan weapons for the player that feel responsive and snappy, combined with mainly projectile-based enemy attacks to actively avoid.

Jafku

Sounds like we've got at least 3 for doing Golgi CM, starting at Totems. Anyone else?

haha yeah Unstable has warned me many times about the damn jackel snipers. I'm excited to see the differences, especially since Halo 2 got the fanciest remastered version.

Honestly I thought Halo 1 has aged really, really well. It felt great to play and the missions are pretty uniformly fantastic. Really long objectives where you feel like you've accomplished something by the end, instead of these 5 minute bite-sized Destiny missions. Even the infamous Library has some nice stuff going on, with the big story payoff at the end (although the repetition across 4 floors gets pretty silly). I've gotten so tired of cover-based military shooters over the years that I really missed the circle-strafe gameplay of classic Halo, even all the way back to Doom or Wolfenstein 3D.

I love active shooters, with enemy projectiles to avoid. Instead of cover mechanics + hitscan weapons + regenerating health where it's just assumed that you'll regenerate more damage than you take instead of actually trying to avoid taking damage.... That's the brilliance of Destiny's PvE: lots of hitscan weapons for the player that feel responsive and snappy, combined with mainly projectile-based enemy attacks to actively avoid.
I can help with Golgi

I can help with Golgi

Okie doke, let's get this party started by counting to six:

1.) Kalamari
2.) Dr Grave
3.) Jakfu
4.) ?????
5.) ?????
6.) ?????

Three more for Golgi CM, starting at Totems unless someone has Golgi CP. (edit: saw Johnny's edit that he had to drop out)

So despite the horror that was Tuesday's Crimson Doubles, I've actually had fun playing with my wife.

The games have hardly been sweaty at all. Players seem to be somewhere between her and my trueskill, instead of just mine.

We enjoyed it enough the first go around we did the bounties again on our alts for free emotes.

I got 2 sugar ghosts, and she got 1 chocolate at 316. Both of mine were sub 300.

We also won about 28 out of 30 games, and only came across a group of suicides twice.

I'm not going to call the event a success or anything, but I had fun with my wife, and that's the most important thing for me.

Edit: Also, Grimoire is now maxed again, yay!

WipedOut

Anymore room for golgo?

Top Bottom