• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Perfect Balance vs Snapshot

Which one would you take on a sniper rifle? I feel like I should just buy the vendor Antinomy XVI for Snapshot.

Snapshot. PB really only matters for low impact snipers.

edit: of course SS only really matters for PvP. Perfect Balance would be better for PvE.

WipedOut

I stopped playing because Destiny went from feeling badass with broken weapons to making everyone average and "efficient enough." There is nothing inherently fun to being "efficient enough" in a game that sells people on becoming a legend. Year 1 had some fantastic weapons that people CRAVED to have. Year 2 has nothing of that sort. If Bungie continues with their philosophy of making boring weapons and nerfing PVE guns like the shottie, I will never return.

Makes me very sad to utter those words. Destiny PVE (ideally) should be like Diablo with loot coming out of every orifice of the game.

That's the thing, Bungie doesn't care about the PVE Community, all they care about is PVP and the streamers. PVE should be fun, not mindless running around with shit weapons. Their inability to balance PVP and PVE separately they have made PVE very boring. I want the ability to be able to 1-2 shot Yellow bar captains with a shotty again. PoE may have been boring but plowing through enemies with Found Verdict was a blast.

Kalamari

fuck, some of the crucible playslists don't even give starting special ammo, now these armsday quests reeeeeeaaaalllyyyyyy suck.

Deku Tree

I did the Spindle mission third try with a GAF PUG group the morning that it came out, when we didn't really have any strats and had to make them up ourselves. Did it two other times team first try. I've only wiped a handful of times on the warsat too. ellieshurgs(PSNmessagingAPP).jpg

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Anyone up for NF?

What is the point of doing these? Last night I got a 290 Choleric Dragon as a reward (I was 305 at the time). I've done plenty of NFs now and have never seen anything useful drop.

I threw this up on Reddit, because it drives me nuts if I ever have to use the official Destiny App to move items around:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/469aee/can_someone_explain_to_me_how_the_official/
If I use the official Destiny app to move an item into my Vault, that item seems to go into a random location of said Vault.
I'm now going to put my Ironwreath-D into my Vault.
My IronWreath-D is 297 Attack (Arc), and fully leveled.
Now, if I search my Vault it is now the 13th out of 44 items in my Weapons Vault. It is immediately after a 220 Void Edge, and before a 160 Her Benevolence (Arc).
As far as I can tell, the items in the Vault are not sorted by alpha-numeric, attack value, element, placed order. weapon type, weapon quality.
What is it? There has to be something?
Here is the part of my Vault where I just placed my IronWreath-d:
http://i.imgur.com/X32kieE.jpg
Here is the very bottom of my Weapons Vault:
http://i.imgur.com/b4MLjaS.jpg
Obviously, this makes it rather annoying when trying to move weapons around.

What is the point of doing these? Last night I got a 290 Choleric Dragon as a reward (I was 305 at the time). I've done plenty of NFs now and have never seen anything useful drop.

Honestly, I kind of like getting free emotes. Makes me feel like I literally just saved $2-$5 bucks just by being patient.

Lnkn52

I did the Spindle mission third try with a GAF PUG group the morning that it came out, when we didn't really have any strats and had to make them up ourselves. Did it two other times team first try. I've only wiped a handful of times on the warsat too. elieshurgs(PSNmessagingAPP).jpg
g_ykH_uonLxzBvu8-SYcYQzwiObcT6G2HiQPjNhrsw=w677-h492-no

LTWood12

I did the Spindle mission third try with a GAF PUG group the morning that it came out, when we didn't really have any strats and had to make them up ourselves. Did it two other times team first try. I've only wiped a handful of times on the warsat too. elieshurgs(PSNmessagingAPP).jpg

Being Deku is god mode.

E92 M3

That's the thing, Bungie doesn't care about the PVE Community, all they care about is PVP and the streamers. PVE should be fun, not mindless running around with shit weapons. Their inability to balance PVP and PVE separately they have made PVE very boring. I want the ability to be able to 1-2 shot Yellow bar captains with a shotty again. PoE may have been boring but plowing through enemies with Found Verdict was a blast.

Yes, the Found Verdict was one of the best parts of HoW. Waiting at the door for the captain to come out and blowing his brains out. Never got old lol.

Unfortunately, Bungie found it to be too much fun.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I still haven't finished the exotic sword quest. :D

My ten year old son did it, it's not that bad. If anything the last strike is the worst part, you have to make sure you team up with people after the same sword.

Pathfinding glitch on Oryx CM. Leaving the blights instead of detonating them meant the Ogres path finding would glitch out. If they managed to fully spawn and weren't staggered then they would immediately teleport to the middle of the map since the blights blocked their pathfinding. You could avoid it by DPS'ing the hell out of them with Titan double bubbles but if one person died on the later cycles then it was easy for the DPS to drop too low resulting in Ogre teleports.

It's the same pathfinding error correction that all Destiny enemies use by the way. Scrota was pathed to walk back and forth on his elevated platform, but if you aggro'ed him and pulled him off the platform he would chase you. Then he would get lost and have to be teleported back into position wherever he was supposed to be on the walkway. So you'd see him immediately move from the bottom left Boomer tower to the far right walkway, for example. You can even aggro the Gorgons and pull them so far out of their patrol routes that they get lost and teleport back into position when they de-aggro off of you.

Well this is the first time in weeks that I'm doing it, so I'm not burnt out. That and I got two exotics. Though what I really want is an emote.

Alright guys, who's up for HM KF raid? Will be fresh unless we can find a cp.
I'm thinking 9pm est.

Pandora012
Beagles329
NCR Redslayer

Ps. I'm a bit rusty, as I haven't played in a bit.

My Warlock is still stuck at 308 so I'll play up to oryx, but I'll probably have to leave then if I don't hit 311.

WipedOut

Yes, the Found Verdict was one of the best parts of HoW. Waiting at the door for the captain to come out and blowing his brains out. Never got old lol.

Unfortunately, Bungie found it to be too much fun.

I don't get why they are so afraid to let players have fun.

1. Open the flood gates and increase loot drops ten-fold
2. Give us back our OP weapons from year one. What is wrong with letting PVE players having fun and wreck things. No one likes to feel like they are shooting BB guns, or that they can be squashed like a bug.
3. They say they are listening but they are not, they keep doing the opposite of what the community wants. There was no need to give shotguns the nerf they got in PVE.

My Warlock is still stuck at 308 so I'll play up to oryx, but I'll probably have to leave then if I don't hit 311.

Added. Hope your Lvl increases. Also, what's you psn?

I don't get why they are so afraid to let players have fun.

1. Open the flood gates and increase loot drops ten-fold
2. Give us back our OP weapons from year one. What is wrong with letting PVE players having fun and wreck things. No one likes to feel like they are shooting BB guns, or that they can be squashed like a bug.
3. They say they are listening but they are not, they keep doing the opposite of what the community wants. There was no need to give shotguns the nerf they got in PVE.

What? I love shooting a full clip at enemies, and seeing that it barely does a dent to their health.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
While I agree that it would not be fun if higher Light levels turned most PVE enemies into animated speed bumps, the fact is that Bungie is too aggressive with the scaling to the point where any advantage is barely noticeable. That is poor game design for a game where you are investing so much time leveling up a character and the weapons they use.

There's very little sense of the game rewarding you for your time. When I help a 283 Light friend through nightfall at 320, I should be a little OP and very difficult to kill. Everyone who is ~315-320 right now should feel very powerful in all game content right now except for maybe Hard Mode raids. It would feel incredibly satisfying and there would be a nice sense of reward for the time invested.

The only reason I still do Nightfalls is for the chance at getting a legendary weapon with a set of unique perks that I will then infuse up and for a laugh at the rewards myself and teammates actually get.

Nightfalls need a major revamping or de-vamping as I liked the Year 1 Nightfalls much more. A simple solution currently would be to make the rewards 310-320 LL for folks already at 310+.

WipedOut

I finally got an exotic from NF this week, actually 2, Heart of Praxic fire and Hard light, I already had both but at least it wasn't a horn kit. Sorry Beagles.

Added. Hope your Lvl increases. Also, what's you psn?

What? I love shooting a full clip at enemies, and seeing that it barely does a dent to their health.

Same as GAF.

Will be doing the Exotic Sword strike before to get my void and solar sword out of the way if anyone wants to join in too.

WavyStretch

Neo Member
Shotguns needed to be nerfed to give swords a niche, otherwise what would be the point of them? They went overboard with the 45% damage reduction though. It's irrelevant anyway, sniper and sword is best of both worlds.

Deku Tree

Shotguns up close were basically a Heavy weapon during HoW days. Now you can do the same with a sword except it requires heavy ammo, as it should.

Shotguns needed to be nerfed to give swords a niche, otherwise what would be the point of them? They went overboard with the 45% damage reduction though. It's irrelevant anyway, sniper and sword is best of both worlds.

Are you talking about PvP or PvE?

In either regard, one requires Heavy Ammo, and the other requires Special. That alone will impact their availability.

Shotguns up close were basically a Heavy weapon during HoW days. Now you can do the same with a sword except it requires heavy ammo, as it should.

Swords requiring ammo is dumb tho. It's like that one stupid game where you had to reload your knife. Something rain or something.

It's like if you were playing Metal Gear Rising and had to reload your sword. I refuse to get the exotic swords not just because of the ridiculous grind, but because they're just ridiculous.

WipedOut

No it isn't as it should be, they took a weapon class for PVE and made it obsolete. Why shouldn't I have the option to run around with a shotgun-sword combo if I so desired it? Why can't I run around with a shotgun/HMG/RL combo? Bungie has dictated how I have to play this game by nerfing the hell out of the PVE shotgun.

So how's CM now? Is the glitch completely gone?

No problems for us the past two weeks. Ogres do pop out standing with arms outstretched sometimes before re-emerging, but that's never been a problem.

Did the teleporting not come up in testing? You'd think that would have come up in testing. Not even in playtesting, but just design testing. Like, "hey, I'm asking an AI to path through 3 obstacles directly on its spawn. Can it do that?"

All that said, I'm so glad we don't have to run around platforms like idiots anymore. That part of Oryx was always dumb as hell.

If you want to get some practice in before trials this week let me know. We can work on Ghost Bounties together. Maybe we'll let LT in. Maybe.

Not sure if I'll be able to swing getting on before Friday. But I should be available a lot this weekend. Friday Night, Saturday Night and Sunday Afternoon.

Hahah. I love whiskey. I actually got a chance to try some Pappy Van Winkle recently!

So envious! (I drink Bulleit, as a rule, with the occasional bottle of Eagle Rare to celebrate something specific.)

3 out of my 5 daily rumble wins. I'm assuming the morning on weekdays will be the best time to knock this out. Going to do 2 more today for sure, hopefully 5 tomorrow and then no more until Monday. Just The Division come Friday and this weekend. I should be at 87 by tomorrow night and can push out the remaining 13 in that week.

My ten year old son did it, it's not that bad. If anything the last strike is the worst part, you have to make sure you team up with people after the same sword.
I remember when I was that age and had fun grinding in RPGs. Now I can't even finish them to the extant I used too.
More like I work 50hrs a week. Why would I want to spend my days off doing that?

LTWood12

I was the sun singer who kept rushing the boss and then using self res, what's the bosses name? Driviks?

Team was legit.

I never worry about my k/d. Game is more fun that way. Stats don't tell the whole story.

I'm just giving you a hard time man. The fact that ya'll got it done at all the first week is impressive. I felt so defeated going to bed that night having failed.

EL CUCO

3 out of my 5 daily rumble wins. I'm assuming the morning on weekdays will be the best time to knock this out. Going to do 2 more today for sure, hopefully 5 tomorrow and then no more until Monday. Just The Division come Friday and this weekend. I should be at 87 by tomorrow night and can push out the remaining 13 in that week.
Stop being a Division shill in the Destiny OT bruh.
That's my job

ocean

Banned
Is Destiny a loot game?

I mean it doesn't feel like one right now but I had the impression that it is supposed to be a loot game.

The legendary weapon drop rate is almost non-existent.
Lol no. Most of the frustration aired at this game stems from people who think it's a loot game but it very clearly isn't.

It's a shooter, and like every good shooter it has a fun (albeit deeply flawed) PvP multiplayer arena. There's loot in the game, but that doesn't make it a loot game (any more than SRL made it a racing game).

For starters, there's veeeeerry few meaningfully different weapons. Take Hand Cannons for instance. There's basically 3 Hand Cannon archetypes (rate of fire / impact categories) with a wide assortment of perks and several paint jobs / gun models. The thing is, the overwhelming majority of perks are completely ass. So at the end of the day, you have 3 Hand Cannon types and you wanna get a good combination of perks on them - there's maybe 3-4 combos people like.

Same goes for every weapon. Snipers? There's impact tiers but most people gravitate to the same one (Stare/Benevolence/LDR/ShadowVeils/every popular sniper ever), and crave the exact same perks (Shortgaze, Snapshot etc)

What I mean is, there's very little variety in a game where you can't really veer too far off the objectively ideal perk sets on the already limited amount of meaningfully different weapons available.

It's even worse on the armor front. Armor can do 3 things for you: speed up ability cooldowns, grant + ammo for a certain weapon type and increase your reload speed with a certain weapon type. There's some added perks like health regen on orb pickup and stuff but tbh none of it is truly meaningful outside of Second Wind (amazingly good Boots perk). Armor is extremely samey.

Exotics are the game's answer to the astonishing homogeneity found everywhere else. They manage to look very cool and occasionally do meaningfully cool things. They are what make the game feel somewhat similar to a loot game. Except there's waaaaay too few of them. Getting them all isn't just easy - it's inevitable.

I don't think you can play this game regularly and *not* get every single Exotic. For starters, they are all eventually sold by Xur - excepting those which are the reward for trivially easy guaranteed quests. For another, mechanisms like 3oC and Raid chests and NF rewards etc basically mean you'll get everything in weeks or a few months.

Can you think of a loot game where nothing stands out? Where getting all the max tier (Exotic or whatever they are called elsewhere) drops is *guaranteed*? Where perks only trivially change your performance (oh I'll get my grenades 5 seconds more quickly!)?

I mean having Tier 5 abilities is super good for high level competitive play, don't get me wrong. And some guns are truly worth getting. But overall there isn't enough loot, or even enough differentiation among the loot that does exist, for this to qualify as a loot game.

And yet people continue to play this as if it were one and continue to be frustrated by it.

"Reaching 320 is objectively useless and means nothing but FUCK BUNGIE for not letting me!", basically.

The tricky thing is, the way this game is designed enjoying it would entail:

- Have fun with PvE for a few weeks. There's easily weeks' worth of (painfully repetitive) content there with all the quests. Lots of good rewards.
- Do Raid Challenges a few times for a good stock of ass tier 320 weapons and armor you can infuse into decent looking and performing things you've gotten elsewhere.
- Now you're done with PvE, enjoy the game's competitive arena.

Just like every other shooter ever, you get what you can out of the PvE content and then PvP forever or until you get tired of it. The thing is...this game's PvP is fundamentally flawed. It's easily, by far, the laggiest modern shooter in existence. There's basically zero support for private games - much less for custom ones. The mode variety is super lacking. Weapon balance is constantly shifting in very dramatic ways. It's just not a healthy place for a PvP community to grow.

So you're left with a PvP crowd trying to play this like a shooter à la Halo or Call of Duty - but frustrated because the developers actively block you from doing this in a normal way (ranked playlists, private games, decent netcode, giving even a slight shit about ping when matchmaking).

And then there's PvE players who somehow think repeating an encounter a billion times can somehow remain fresh after a year, or expecting the developer to never ever stop releasing PvE content in a timely fashion (as if the game were subscription based).

You also have loot hunters on both PvE and PvP sides getting frustrated because they still don't understand after a year and a half that loot in this game is super duper trivially unimportant yet unexplainably rare (give me that Chocolate Ghost Because reasons!).

So in short: PvE players, PvP is layers and loot-driven players are all dissatisfied and frustrated but keep playing and bitching regardless - because the shooting is so fun. Which is why, I insist, all this is is a good shooter :)

I'm just giving you a hard time man. The fact that ya'll got it done at all the first week is impressive. I felt so defeated going to bed that night having failed.

Salt & good-natured piss taking is all that moves the thread these days.

So in short: PvE players, PvP is layers and loot-driven players are all dissatisfied and frustrated but keep playing and bitching regardless - because the shooting is so fun. Which is why, I insist, all this is is a good shooter :)

Destiny has succeeded best at being a social shooter. That's a lot of why I'm still playing. That's why quitting is hard, because I'd be leaving friends.

Top Bottom