• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Axoman

Had a pretty fun string of elimination matches going against the same two guys for five games. Alternated wins, but they won 3 out of the 5 matches. I think all but two got to 4-4.

Lag free as well.

120v

so... i'm new to the game. been grinding out story missions just to wrap my head around the game before i get into pvp

what i'm wondering is, what are the go-to crucible modes? by that i mean the ones that are usually active, that are at least somewhat newb friendly (if possible)... i'd like to know before i start a match

also any MP tips in general would be appreciated. thanks

Liamc723

so... i'm new to the game. been grinding out story missions just to wrap my head around the game before i get into pvp

what i'm wondering is, what are the go-to crucible modes? by that i mean the ones that are usually active, that are at least somewhat newb friendly (if possible)... i'd like to know before i start a match

The general go-to mode is Control, but all of them are fairly populated and you'll always eventually find a match.

deadduck

All modes are active and you'll find a game pretty fast.

There is still some skill based Matchmaking, so although not super noob friendly you shouldn't be matched with MLG players, although it may feel like it.

There's alot of maps to learn so chill and don't worry about dying, just explore and learn.

Control is a great place to start because there's lots of players to kill and be distracted by but more importantly it has 3 cap points (a,b,c) these are the basic map callouts when playing with others. Players will also be focused on these 3 areas.

Tips:

Radar. It tells you soooooo much. Semi transparent red is higher/lower than you. Solid is on your level (insert secret handshake here). Crouch can take you off the radar momentarily. Perks can take you off the radar too.

Team. Work with them, you might not talk to them but don't go charging a control cap area with 3 NMEs on you own. Always try the level the PvP engagement numbers, if you're 2vs1 9/10 you'll win. I'm no great player so I often let players charge in so the NME is distracted and then go and assist/clean up.

Engagement. Try to be ready to shoot a guy as he pops round a corner rather than than be the guy that gets shot first. Harder than it sounds. See radar.

If you get bodyshot by a sniper, back out. You're one shot from death. Get your health back. Knowing when NOT to engage someone is the best place to start "not dying". Beware areas with long sight lines, snipers and scout rifles will rek you.

Hope that helps.

Daily story is Lost to Light.

Get your Spindles and time to grind for that Vienna singer!!

Control is somewhat newb-friendly and probably easiest pvp mode to start off with. If you want to try out class abilities and supers then give mayhem a shot. Any 6v6 mode is okay to start with but control is easiest. Depending on your play-style you may or may not like rift. Probably best to avoid rumble and 3v3 playlists for now till you get more comfortable with weapon and class loadouts.

It's a good idea to do the daily crucible and daily story mission every day as it awards 15 legendary marks each.

If you're new to the game then probably don't have a lot of class perks unlocked and haven't found a variety of good crucible weapons, so just play with whatever you are comfortable with.

The gunsmith has test weapons that you should pick up and complete to gain rep. Every rank-up will give you a random legendary weapon. Same goes for factions - every rank up gives motes, strange coins and a random legendary item. The bounty tracker has both pve and pvp bounties that you can complete for rep and xp.

Xur arrives in the tower in roughly 24 hours and has exotic weapons/armor for sale, so try to collect some strange coins in order to purchase them.

If you're looking for pvp weapons to purchase from vendors, there are a few decent options like Hawksaw, Hung Jury, The Villainy, etc but they cost 150 legendary marks.

The classic playlists and freelance are probably a bit more noob friendly. As for general tips there are some links to tips in the OP that might be helpful. My personal advice would be to experiment with different weapons and subclasses to see what feels best to you. Once you find a class and subclass you like there are some builds that are optimal. In your skill tree always spec max armor. Be prepared to be sniped nonstop, it will take a while to learn the maps and sniping is way too easy right now.

Vienna Singer dropped on the first try. Thanks to Inapplicable for the run.
Also jumped in to help a friend with nightfall and Imago Loop dropped for both us (meh roll, though).
The morning's off to a good start.

Jinjo

Dammit Bungie. I hate when that happens for no reason. On my hunter, greens always drop, and only on my hunter despite being >300 light level.

Is your Hunter your least played character?

The same thing happens for my Warlock (which is my least played character). Apparently the green engram drop is sorta tied to playtime.

I don't mind the greens, just extra mats most of all.

Deku Tree

So has anyone gotten Vienna singer to drop in a character that already did the spindle mission?

Vienna Singer dropped on the first try. Thanks to Inapplicable for the run.
Also jumped in to help a friend with nightfall and Imago Loop dropped for both us (meh roll, though).
The morning's off to a good start.

Did you already have done the mission on that character?

I'll run it, but I won't be on for like an hour.

I can do a run now if you guys are up for it.

Wait an hour for Deku if that's okay Saithan?

https://www.bungie.net/7_This-Week-At-Bungie--02042016/en/News/News?aid=44307

I want to point out that the third ship in the background of that weekly update picture is the Fatal Vision ship from the kiosk that doesn't drop for anyone. Bungie is a horrible tease.

they're patching that in at 10am pst today

kappa

Beagles329

Neo Member
Alright guys, we'll be doing this again tomorrow at 9PM EST to finish up. I have the checkpoint at daughters. Just update us here if you can't be there.

And I don't think I'll hit 310 by the time we get to oryx...so...
I'm good to run & hopefully the strange happenings are behind us.

Sorry for bailing after warpriest but one of my kids woke up saying he was sick.

Tried the new MM in control last night...

It was actually worse for me. Every match had red bars. I also got put into two different games already in progress. Maybe I just have bad luck?

Tried the new MM in control last night...

It was actually worse for me. Every match had red bars. I also got put into two different games already in progress. Maybe I just have bad luck?
I experienced nearly the same thing but I only joined one match in progress. For the most part it was not as bad as before. I did ended up playing in cathedral of dusk too many times yuck.

Can you definitely get it to drop if you've had the spindle? I haven't done it on one character but can't for the life of me remember which one

Top Bottom