• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

LTWood12

Bungie can't realistically make a TTK sized expansion that was as good as TTK starting from when Destiny 2 got delayed. They would have to borrow some stuff, in particular new geometry and a new enemy type, from what they already have for Destiny 2.

I agree. The context of how the community sees it will have a lot to do with whether we know when Destiny 2 is coming or not. If it's already been announced by the fall as a February-March 2017 release I think people won't expect as much. But if we're still totally in the dark, and it's a disappointing release, that's going to be rough.

edit: Top of Page! Capcom is rereleasing RE 4, 5, & 6 (in reverse order for some reason) on PS4 and XBO. RE6 gif to celebrate
Yes I enjoyed RE6
resident_evil_6_chris_vs_leon__gif__by_sagarhcp88-d5ym2md.gif

I made a simple statement about the matchmaking that was relevant to the conversation. I don't know why you took offense to it.

I didn't. It was actually a collective reply to something I've seen mentioned on this board by many posters as well as on Reddit. If it was a response to any poster in particular, it was as much to deadduck as it was to you. That's why I didn't quote anyone or make it personal, but you've done a terrific job of projecting.

All content finished by the time vanilla Destiny launched was in the game. TTK was just post it notes and whiteboards.

Even if he was somehow right, that means fall's DLC has roughly 9 months of development. That's longer than Dark Below or House of Wolves' development times, and they're not making an entire game engine at the same time as they were for vanilla content. But for some reason 9 months of DLC work is now rushing? lol

Some people still doubt Jason on Destiny stuff heh

Also doing a supposed TTK sized expansion in less than half the time TTK was made is not rushing now? Lol

Deku Tree

What I hate about light level increases is NOT KNOWING what's going to happen with our current guns/gear both legendary and exotic. I'd expect Etheric Light to make a come back but I don't think they'd do that. Probably just exotic shard like to upgrade exotics, at the very least.

Refreshing VoG/CE and PoE will not be good enough to entertain me for a long period of time. I'll check it out but that'll probably be it unless they truly make it some crazy big dynamic experience haha, coupled with excellent rewards.

Yeah their going to stick with the same infusion system IMO. All your current gear will still be infusible up to the new max LL.

WipedOut

Alright boys, let's reel in the hostility and change the subject. At the end of the day the only people that know what really is going on behind the scenes is Bungo!

Deku Tree

Some people still doubt Jason on Destiny stuff heh

Also doing a supposed TTK sized expansion in less than half the time TTK was made is not rushing now? Lol

Also TTK most likely had a much larger team than the large Fall 2016 expansion. Destiny 2 is probably all hands on deck right now.

LTWood12

I didn't. It was actually a collective reply to something I've seen mentioned on this board by many posters as well as on Reddit. If it was a response to any poster in particular, it was as much to deadduck as it was to you. That's why I didn't quote anyone or make it personal, but you've done a terrific job of projecting.

I said you were being pedantic, not verbose, so this sentence makes no sense in the context of what I said. Keep reaching for the jabs, though.

I don't think projecting means what you think it means.

FyreWulff

Bungie can't realistically make a TTK sized expansion that was as good as TTK starting from when Destiny 2 got delayed. They would have to borrow some stuff, in particular new geometry and a new enemy type, from what they already have for Destiny 2.

It'd be about the same amount of primary development time as TTK, without making a whole new engine, or preparing for an upheaval of most of the game's subsystems like TTK had to do to set Destiny up for the future. And using ideas from the whiteboard from other teams and other content is standard for Bungie and standard in game development. This is outright pre-reviewing the content before it even gets off the whiteboard, which irks me as a developer.

It's misleading to judge the upcoming quality of content solely off dev time when it's being made under different conditions. Vanilla's story is known. Dark Below was crunched to hell, and House of Wolves was being made when Destiny's sustain plans completely changed from what they were before and had to set up what was in the works for TTK, and TTK had to bear the brunt and heavy lifting of retooling the entirety of Destiny as a game. All the existing content to this point paid the 'development tax' for any new content coming forward already.

What I hate about light level increases is NOT KNOWING what's going to happen with our current guns/gear both legendary and exotic. I'd expect Etheric Light to make a come back but I don't think they'd do that. Probably just exotic shard like to upgrade exotics, at the very least.

Refreshing VoG/CE and PoE will not be good enough to entertain me for a long period of time. I'll check it out but that'll probably be it unless they truly make it some crazy big dynamic experience haha, coupled with excellent rewards.

They should just keep infusion and scrap the whole 80% and 70% and give us the full difference. That way they don't need another consumable and I don't need to hoard 307 shotguns to level up things.

Hey the_id I wasn't ignoring your invite, was just afk. Playing with my blueberry friend so I don't think you want us on the IB train anyway lol but thanks for the invite.

Frenden

Banned
Highlights/archive? Love watching people I know go against (and beat, hopefully) streamers.
I murdered Gothalion a bunch last Iron Banner. That was fun. I was with blueberries against his premade of six and my blueberries all went negative, but I was top of the leaderboard, positive, and made it a point to hunt him down specifically, haha.

They should just keep infusion and scrap the whole 80% and 70% and give us the full difference. That way they don't need another consumable and I don't need to hoard 307 shotguns to level up things.

Yea, the fact that they NEVER fixed KF drops irks me or the current infusion system. 300 and 310 rewards in KF Normal and Hard respectively should have been patched immediately. Then Infusion system should have been fixed. No stupid 80% crap indeed.

And fusing with an exotic to another exotic should NOT take an exotic shard. Just things like that.

Theorry

Think i am done for the night. Every match is like this now. Was all fine this afternoon.
Please please Bungie. Implement the Control update for all other modes.

4ePOmnF.gif

1i9GhBb.gif

Deku Tree

It'd be about the same amount of primary development time as TTK, without making a whole new engine, or preparing for an upheaval of most of the game's subsystems like TTK had to do to set Destiny up for the future. And using ideas from the whiteboard from other teams and other content is standard for Bungie and standard in game development. This is outright pre-reviewing the content before it even gets off the whiteboard, which irks me as a developer.

It's misleading to judge the upcoming quality of content solely off dev time when it's being made under different conditions. Vanilla's story is known. Dark Below was crunched to hell, and House of Wolves was being made when Destiny's sustain plans completely changed from what they were before and had to set up what was in the works for TTK, and TTK had to bear the brunt and heavy lifting of retooling the entirety of Destiny as a game. All the existing content to this point paid the 'development tax' for any new content coming forward already.

I'm posting what I think on a message board. Part of what made TTK great was the retooling of the systems. According to rumors the Dreadnaught was pulled from Vanilla Destiny. So that geometry may have been around since before TTK launched. I'll judge the content based upon what it looks like when it comes out. I can still post my opinion ahead of time on GAF. That's what this place is all about.

Jason has been the main person to give the Destiny fanbase the most concrete info about the future of the game. Just about everything that he has predicted has proved to be correct. He must have high level solid Bungie sources who fully trust him. It could even be that they use him to leak info that they can't disclose themselves because of their contractual obligations. Hard to really know.

Auctopus

Rage quit. Sorry guys.

I'm not the best player out there but I'm not gonna play through fudge and spawn constantly at the barrel of an opponents gun.

Acidote

Rage quit. Sorry guys.

I'm not the best player out there but I'm not gonna play through fudge and spawn constantly at the barrel of an opponents gun.

After the first two games I had awful lag in every game. So today's not been my best IB day either.

All content finished by the time vanilla Destiny launched was in the game. TTK was just post it notes and whiteboards.

Even if he was somehow right, that means fall's DLC has roughly 9 months of development. That's longer than Dark Below or House of Wolves' development times, and they're not making an entire game engine at the same time as they were for vanilla content. But for some reason 9 months of DLC work is now rushing? lol

Not 100% true.

There was that one clip of what we now know to be the inside of the dreadnaught that made all of of a 1.5 second appearance in an older Vidoc before launch.

Just like how The Lighthouse and the Reef made appearances in ViDocs before launch.

blazeuk

Got to rank 5 on my Hunter today so switched to Titan and decided to just shoulder charge/shotgun most of the time, too much fun when tons of people are just sat there scoped in with snipers. Had a few games with lag but for the most part it wasn't so bad today. Thanks for the games everyone who was in the fireteam, don't think I have some of you on my friends list and was probably the first time I've played with some of you too.

The lag there is annoying, the tiny bit of health tons of people survive with because of the extra armour boost from the chest piece that no-one ever asked for is even more frustrating.

FyreWulff

According to rumors the Dreadnaught was pulled from Vanilla Destiny.

Not 100% true.

There was that one clip of what we now know to be the inside of the dreadnaught that made all of of a 1.5 second appearance in an older Vidoc before launch.

Just like how The Lighthouse and the Reef made appearances in ViDocs before launch.

Dreadnaught wasn't worked on until after Dark Below, so no.

There may be pictures of areas that eventually ended up in the Dreadnaught, but like their previous games, content seen wasn't specifically attached to where it ended up when first created. Reflection almost got cut from Reach, but DM was able to find a place for it in New Alexandria, which saved all the work on that map from being binned, for example (he posted about this on HBO, so it's public information). And for previous games they've taken geometry that didn't make the cut for elsewhere and bolted it on to somewhere else in the campaign or re-attached it to later DLC or even used it in a later game. This is standard in game development. The Portal was in Halo 2's making of DVD on a whiteboard, but they didn't take 5 years to develop Tsavo Highway. Also, Bungie always builds out geometry first, and turns it into actual playable content once it's geometry complete, so locations can show up early, but end up not making it into the game they were shown with or much later on after release, or even in a completely different location than originally planned (like a large chunk of Halo 2)

I don't care who thinks they have leads on Destiny information as it's all filler and TMZ devmeta, my main concern is this sudden repainting of standard game development as worth wringing one's hands over.

There may be pictures of areas that eventually ended up in the Dreadnaught, but like their previous games, content seen wasn't specifically attached to where it ended up when first created. Reflection almost got cut from Reach, but DM was able to find a place for it in New Alexandria, which saved all the work on that map from being binned, for example (he posted about this on HBO, so it's public information). And for previous games they've taken geometry that didn't make the cut for elsewhere and bolted it on to somewhere else in the campaign or re-attached it to later DLC or even used it in a later game. This is standard in game development. The Portal was in Halo 2's making of DVD on a whiteboard, but they didn't take 5 years to develop Tsavo Highway.

I don't care who thinks they have leads on Destiny information as it's all filler (although some of the rumors are comedy to read when you know what's up ) my main concern is this sudden repainting of standard game development as worth wringing one's hands over.

From the Pathways out of Darkness ViDoc from Feb 2013:

This too:

I'd also point to that old road map that leaked 1 month after Destiny launched that showed the Comet expansions having the new destination of "Hive Ship"

It seems pretty clear Bungie knew what the Dreadnaught was much earlier than you seem to be implying.

This too:

Yup. Dreadnought existed in some capacity, not only that but the vidoc shows that there were physical areas that were eventually used FOR dreadnought.

I believe the kotaku story, that the dreadnought was the original stopping point before it was cut out. There's no doubt in my mind and there's evidence to support it.

NeOak

There may be pictures of areas that eventually ended up in the Dreadnaught, but like their previous games, content seen wasn't specifically attached to where it ended up when first created. Reflection almost got cut from Reach, but DM was able to find a place for it in New Alexandria, which saved all the work on that map from being binned, for example (he posted about this on HBO, so it's public information). And for previous games they've taken geometry that didn't make the cut for elsewhere and bolted it on to somewhere else in the campaign or re-attached it to later DLC or even used it in a later game. This is standard in game development. The Portal was in Halo 2's making of DVD on a whiteboard, but they didn't take 5 years to develop Tsavo Highway. Also, Bungie always builds out geometry first, and turns it into actual playable content once it's geometry complete, so locations can show up early, but end up not making it into the game they were shown with or much later on after release, or even in a completely different location than originally planned (like a large chunk of Halo 2)

I don't care who thinks they have leads on Destiny information as it's all filler and TMZ devmeta (although some of the rumors are comedy to read when you know what's up ) my main concern is this sudden repainting of standard game development as worth wringing one's hands over.

Didn't the Kotaku article mention that the Dreadnaught was part of the original story and there was a version of it that was scrapped?

FyreWulff

This too:

Halo 3 segment in Halo 2:

"Cortana" from Halo 3 in Halo 2:

h2KSIkE.png

which was originally actually High Charity then became a Cruiser and then became a Cruiser on Earth and then became High Charity again but retained all the internal geometry of a Cruiser but then the first part was still left on Earth because they didn't want to have a long Flood level at the start of the game

I'd also point to that old road map that leaked 1 month after Destiny launched that showed the Comet expansions having the new destination of "Hive Ship"

It seems pretty clear Bungie knew what the Dreadnaught was much earlier than you seem to be implying.

The first E3 demo also had one of the player names as Oryx. I'm distinguishing between outline and story point plans (which are going to exist well in advance) versus actual playable content work (which can start way after it's storyboarded, and the ramp up out of pre-vis)

LTWood12

There may be pictures of areas that eventually ended up in the Dreadnaught, but like their previous games, content seen wasn't specifically attached to where it ended up when first created.

Could you elaborate on what that means? I'm genuinely curious how that process works.

Here's one relevant snippet re: TTK's start date

While Bungie always planned to release the initial six subclasses in the original release of Destiny, a separate team has been quietly working on three additional subclasses as far back as the release of the game last year.​

Bonus quote from Sage about whether we might get a 4th class:

What Happened To Destiny's Fourth Class?
"In very early Destiny, we had four character classes we were trying to design around," says senior designer Sage Merrill. "But that fourth one just never fit so we cut down to three. When we made that cut everything sort of fell into place. It's not like anything wasn't working, it's just that when you start to slice up the total space for what a class does in a shooter environment, no matter where you put that fourth class it always sort of felt like it was encroaching on what the other classes did."​

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playing internet detective aside, there's something else to consider.

So if TTK hadn't been worked on at all until Vanilla launch, it had the benefit of a full year + a deliberate cohesive vision.

What will this fall bring? An expansion that's hacked out of the sequel in 8 months?

Halo 3 segment in Halo 2:

"Cortana" from Halo 3 in Halo 2:

h2KSIkE.png

which was originally actually High Charity then became a Cruiser and then became a Cruiser on Earth and then became High Charity again but retained all the internal geometry of a Cruiser but then the first part was still left on Earth because they didn't want to have a long Flood level at the start of the game

The first E3 demo also had one of the player names as Oryx. I'm distinguishing between outline and story point plans (which are going to exist well in advance) versus actual playable content work (which can start way after it's storyboarded, budgeted, and ramped up out of pre-vis)

I think we're straying from the original point here, which is that TTK had resources in it that had existing at Bungie for quite some time. We can tell that some assets from TTK existed well before launch of Vanilla destiny.

However you want to look at it, this reduces the impact of Dev time for TTK.

As it stands, there is only one more piece of geometry we've ever seen that still has yet to make it into the game. What's assumed to be the EDZ destination.

This means that Bungie has less resources to pull/borrow from when making their next expansion or full title.

Obviously parts of Halo didn't make it into lauch, and thus made it to Halo 2. And repeat that as many times as you need for every Halo title. Destiny is of course going to be the same way, except we're getting larger content drops between major launches. Because we know Bungie has a hard time when it comes to actual content creation due to poor toolsets, it's easy to believe that the next expansion we get will fall short of it's comparable titles in the past. Similarly, the next full launch will probably struggle to see as much content as Vanilla had at launch.

Top Bottom