• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

I couldn't snipe for shit yesterday so I didn't grind as long as I wanted to

wish I would have saved a couple of videos, especially the one where a titan with garrison tried to get cute and got his head ripped off

17907.jpg

Can we all just agree that the majority of people who discuss matchmaking don't need a pedantic reply about SBMM and CBMM being present in every matchmaking system?

Most people get that. Using one or the other is shorthand for 'primarily weighted toward' or 'more heavily weighted toward X compared to the previous system.'

LTWood12

Can we all just agree that the majority of people who discuss matchmaking don't need a pedantic reply about SBMM and CBMM being present in every matchmaking system?

Most people get that. Using one or the other is shorthand for 'primarily weighted toward' or 'more heavily weighted toward X compared to the previous system.'

No we can't. Keeping it shorter than three sentences so as not to be pedantic.

Jason released his new podcast with kirk. Worth a listen to the Destiny talk at the beggining. Jason talks how he feels this fall's expansion will be hugely disappointing since as far as he knows development on that began once Destiny 2 was delayed. And he talks they will likely want to sell it as a TTK sized expansion but TTK was developed for like 2 years since before Destiny even launched so this expansion will be rushed and likely lacking.

LTWood12

Jason released his new podcast with kirk. Worth a listen to the Destiny talk at the beggining. Jason talks how he feels this fall's expansion will be hugely disappointing since as far as he knows development on that began once Destiny 2 was delayed. And he talks they will likely want to sell it as a TTK sized expansion but TTK was developed for like 2 years since before Destiny even launched so this expansion will be rushed and likely lacking.

Wow that's really disappointing. I just assumed they'd take some content from the delayed sequel and put it into the fall expansion. If they're just now starting on it....yeesh.

Jafku

I don't like the sound of that at all

I think it is probably in everyone's interest for them to focus on Destiny 2

that sucks for the immediate future, but if it means the game is better overall down the road I'll manage

Wow that's really disappointing. I just assumed they'd take some content the delayed sequel and put it into the fall expansion. If they're just now starting on it....yeesh.

Yeah Jason says its a tough issue because he's not sure Bungie will take something from Destiny 2 to put in the expansion since they are so worried and focused on having a lot of content for Destiny 2. But i think that's Jason speculating so they could pull something from D2 it just seems unlikely.

I think the major problem with matchmaking is bungo not giving any specifics and just saying X > Y now, or more so than it was before

which could mean something or absolutely nothing. only thing you have to go off of is anecdotal evidence. could definitely have a placebo effect

it's not caring at all about winning as I'm just going for sniper drops. I'm purposely not handing in bounties. I might even take off the shader/emblem/class item at this point so as not to rank up

that did not stop me from shouting the F word as loud as humanly possible last night. I started laughing immediately afterwards because it felt so good (wife and kids were gone)

Deku Tree

Guess for spring: SRL part deux
Fall: Updated old raids and maybe PoE

That would be like the worst of all possible potential 2016 Destiny forecasts.

Two points:

Deej said Spring is PvE. SRL is not PvE.

If they are going to give us a "significant light level increase" then they need to give us some end game PvE thing to grind. Just raising the LL of KF and changing the challenges would be like the worst thing ever. They need to do old raid Challenges. I am thinking a rotation. Week A: Atheon Challenge. Week B: Crota Challenge. Week C: Skolas Challenge. That to me is the most optimistic realistic forecast.

LTWood12

I said you were being pedantic, not verbose, so this sentence makes no sense in the context of what I said. Keep reaching for the jabs, though.

Ok.

An apparent requirement that excessive, unnecessary detail must muddle the matchmaking discussion has nothing to do with the brevity of the posts asking for that detail.

^pedantic sentence explaining what pedantic means

I made a simple statement about the matchmaking that was relevant to the conversation. I don't know why you took offense to it.

FyreWulff

All content finished by the time vanilla Destiny launched was in the game. TTK was just post it notes and whiteboards.

Even if he was somehow right, that means fall's DLC has roughly 9 months of development. That's longer than Dark Below or House of Wolves' development times, and they're not making an entire game engine at the same time as they were for vanilla content. But for some reason 9 months of DLC work is now rushing? lol

I think the major problem with matchmaking is bungo not giving any specifics and just saying X > Y now, or more so than it was before

which could mean something or absolutely nothing. only thing you have to go off of is anecdotal evidence. could definitely have a placebo effect

It's definitely an issue, but some of the changes (or lack thereof) are immediately apparent, especially at the ends of the bell curve. WYL was playing in a full party with another streamer and could readily conclude that IB was largely SBMM within an hour. Really, really good parties will see 2 KD players everywhere, and it doesn't take many games of that to know that the player pool is being segmented. In addition, when you see lag in those very games, it's easy to conclude that connection, while it is a factor, is being trumped in favor of skill.

The anecdotal evidence gets pretty spotty in the middle of the bell curve because the pool of similarly skilled players is larger, and more importantly, the performance of those players will be similar irrespective of the weight given to skill or connection.

Auctopus

My 300mbs connection just isn't good enough to play with GAF it seems.

Two shotguns to the face = nothing.

Playing the worst I ever have right now.

What I hate about light level increases is NOT KNOWING what's going to happen with our current guns/gear both legendary and exotic. I'd expect Etheric Light to make a come back but I don't think they'd do that. Probably just exotic shard like to upgrade exotics, at the very least.

Refreshing VoG/CE and PoE will not be good enough to entertain me for a long period of time. I'll check it out but that'll probably be it unless they truly make it some crazy big dynamic experience haha, coupled with excellent rewards.

phen0m24

That would be like the worst of all possible potential 2016 Destiny forecasts.

Two points:

Deej said Spring is PvE. SRL is not PvE.

If they are going to give us a "significant light level increase" then they need to give us some end game PvE thing to grind. Just raising the LL of KF and changing the challenges would be like the worst thing ever. They need to do old raid Challenges. I am thinking a rotation. Week A: Atheon Challenge. Week B: Crota Challenge. Week C: Skolas Challenge. That to me is the most optimistic realistic forecast.

Reverse them then. I'm keeping expectations way low. Then raid updates in spring (old assets) and then SRL (new tracks).

Deku Tree

All content finished by the time vanilla Destiny launched was in the game. TTK was just post it notes and whiteboards.

Even if he was somehow right, that means fall's DLC has roughly 9 months of development. That's longer than Dark Below or House of Wolves' development times, and they're not making an entire game engine at the same time as they were for vanilla content. But for some reason 9 months of DLC work is now rushing? lol

Bungie can't realistically make a TTK sized expansion that was as good as TTK starting from when Destiny 2 got delayed. They would have to borrow some stuff, in particular new geometry and a new enemy type, from what they already have for Destiny 2.

spyder_ur

What I hate about light level increases is NOT KNOWING what's going to happen with our current guns/gear both legendary and exotic. I'd expect Etheric Light to make a come back but I don't think they'd do that. Probably just exotic shard like to upgrade exotics, at the very least.

Refreshing VoG/CE and PoE will not be good enough to entertain me for a long period of time. I'll check it out but that'll probably be it unless they truly make it some crazy big dynamic experience haha, coupled with excellent rewards.

I don't see why they couldn't just stick with the infusion system and alter the light level of drops in current (or any new) end-game content to reflect that. I kind of enjoyed the steady progression of TTK in that regard.

Top Bottom