• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Tsssss Weyloran's March??? Why don't they call it Weyloran's February or sumting? Piece of gahbage.

xxYpwwy.png

Didn't really care about the new IB Sniper, but it dropped with Viewtach SLH20 (my favorite of the new scopes), Snapshot, and Hidden Hand. Guess I'll give it a shot in 6's before I shard it.

Kyoufu

You complained about rift, and got clash.

I wouldn't mind Clash so much if it wasn't such a sweaty affair. :(

Every match ends like 10k vs 9.8k

One wrong move and I feel like it costs my team the game. Am I playing Trials or what?

Luke Smith said Bungie wants players to have a good time but... sometimes I doubt that very much. D:

FyreWulff

Could you elaborate on what that means? I'm genuinely curious how that process works.

See above post. Floodgate used to have the entirety of the Cortana level at the end. They moved a lot of it and re-arted it a bit to be High Charity to adjust the game's pacing. The only telltate sign is that the room the skull is in is the same geometry as the cruiser bridge from the Halfjaw cutscenes.

Halo 2's "Gravemind" level used to be Earth's Moon. It was redone from well, looking like the moon to a Halo ring scheme, and some Forerunner geometry became the crashed ship in the middle of it.

Also, the final level of Halo 1 was basically Bungie Presents: Repurposed Geometry From Elsewhere Fuck We Need To Have Enough Content To Ship A Game Oh God We Are On Fire

Mythic Map Pack 1 & 2 (H3 DLC) were originally intended to appear in the ODST campaign as playable spaces. The bonus ending cutscene taking place on Orbital is a remnant reference to this.

Sandtrap (H3 Map) only exists because Invasion was supposed to be in Halo 3. It's roughly 1/3rd the size it was intended to be. Invasion got cut, but Sandtrap remained, and was rejigged to work as a regular map.

One wrong move and I feel like it costs my team the game. Am I playing Trials or what?

I know anecdotes and what not, but somehow all this complaints about sweaty matches has totally missed me.

I'm at 20 games so far, all solo queue'd. 5 of those are losses.

Only 2 of them ended within a 500 point spread.

Most of them have ended in the 1-2K range.

Kirk Hamilton on the Split Screen podcast snarking about not getting a full sequel this fall:

They're running out of places to have us run through backwards.​

Deku Tree

Also, the final level of Halo 1 was basically Bungie Presents: Repurposed Geometry From Elsewhere Fuck We Need To Have Enough Content To Ship A Game Oh God We Are On Fire

The Maw on the wreck of the Pillar of Autumn was one of my favorite Halo 1 levels. I replayed that one a lot.

LTWood12

See above post. Floodgate used to have the entirety of the Cortana level at the end. They moved a lot of it and re-arted it a bit to be High Charity to adjust the game's pacing. The only telltate sign is that the room the skull is in is the same geometry as the cruiser bridge from the Halfjaw cutscenes.

Halo 2's "Gravemind" level used to be Earth's Moon. It was redone from well, looking like the moon to a Halo ring scheme, and some Forerunner geometry became the crashed ship in the middle of it.

Mythic Map Pack 1 & 2 were originally intended to appear in the ODST campaign as playable spaces. The bonus ending cutscene taking place on Orbital is a remnant reference to this.

Interesting. So basically everything is on fyre (see what i did there) until it ships.

I should probably play Halo.

Kirk Hamilton on the Split Screen podcast snarking about not getting a full sequel this fall:

They're running out of places to have us run through backwards.​

Of all the complaints about Destiny, this is the weakest to me.

If there is one thing Bungie knows how to do, it's repurpose playable space.

Almost the entire game of Halo: Combat evolved is the perfect example of this.

Basically, once you get halfway through that game, you enter "Mirror Mode" and start replaying older levels from difference angles.

The first level of the game is literally the last level of the game even.

Hell, I'll pull out the ODST map again if I have to.

Edit: Don't be surprised if Bungie finds a way to incorporate the two SRL maps into playable destinations in the future.

FyreWulff

The Maw on the wreck of the Pillar of Autumn was one of my favorite Halo 1 levels. I replayed that one a lot.

Yeah, which is why I wait until content is done to judge dev time. Crunch is not good but sometimes it can create diamonds due to being forced to just keep what's fun and hack off the bad parts. Other times it does this:

a10c51ee75e8539ad686821b77522fe2.jpg

radiohead1

Neo Member

Luke Smith said Bungie wants players to have a good time but... sometimes I doubt that very much. D:

It was really helpful for me to think of a successful match being one in which I didn't make a bunch of stupid mistakes and ended on the positive side of k/d. When you are solo queuing, there is not much you can do sometimes in terms of winning or losing the match. If I rack up more than three or four of those tokens I start to get annoyed, but otherwise find it much more enjoyable if I ignore win/loss.

But of course, I am still learning and enjoying pvp. Not nearly as upset as others have been on here in terms of this IB (or Destiny in general).

(Look for me for trains whenever I'm on! psn = dorssom.)

Kyoufu

I know anecdotes and what not, but somehow all this complaints about sweaty matches has totally missed me.

I'm at 20 games so far, all solo queue'd. 5 of those are losses.

Only 2 of them ended within a 500 point spread.

Most of them have ended in the 1-2K range.

Maybe it's just me. Shrug. Games usually end up very close unless a group of players leave mid-game.

Of all the complaints about Destiny, this is the weakest to me.

If there is one thing Bungie knows how to do, it's repurpose playable space.

Almost the entire game of Halo: Combat evolved is the perfect example of this.

Basically, once you get halfway through that game, you enter "Mirror Mode" and start replaying older levels from difference angles.

The first level of the game is literally the last level of the game even.

Hell, I'll pull out the ODST map again if I have to.

Edit: Don't be surprised if Bungie finds a way to incorporate the two SRL maps into playable destinations in the future.

Did you enjoy any of the mirror missions? I maybe, maybe, enjoyed Assault on the Control Room backwards?

I didn't mind it that much, but at this point, we've spent Vanilla, TDB, HoW and Taken King all going through the same maps. The Cosmodrome especially feels played out. How many times am I going to go through the Rocket Yard? or The Blast. I think there are 4 missions through there?

Yeah, which is why I wait until content is done to judge dev time. Crunch is not good but sometimes it can create diamonds due to being forced to just keep what's fun and hack off the bad parts.

In the Bungie podcast for Halo Reach, I'll never forget this, one of the Devs said "Diamonds aren't polished. They're cut."

Combined with cuts and Bungie's ability to find good value in re-using, that's Destiny.

I wouldn't even care too much about new stuff, per se, I just want their systems to be fixed. They're so sting, broken and bland.

So what are we expecting this week from Bungle?
You make it seem like we are expecting something...

But to be honest I am expecting a little bit today. Maybe a sneak peek to the next update, or maybe they will mention some new possible changes balance wise for the update.

Diablo has 1-2 major patches a year. Maybe adding one tileset, but doing fun powerful balancing updates and a new mechanic or two and that's it.

Hasn't been any new missions or acts in 2 years and I still play that damned game.

Why? because it's fun and the systems are enjoyable and empowering.

I don't need new content if they can make what's already there fun and rewarding.

Like how much worse is King's Fall because we get 2 artifacts every week? Or Nightfalls are the same 4 strikes over and over and you just get a ghost. Or that there's 0 incentive to play the Campaign again. Or that we're always constantly starved for Weapon Parts and Armor Parts. Or that we never get drops from the Crucible?

Deku Tree

Why is everyone so sure they're just updating raids/PoE for the spring update? was there a leak?

because the spring update is going to be free (since Activision didn't tell their investors in their conference call to expect a spring expansion which they would have), and the spring update is going to include a large light level increase and it is going to have "new challenges" for PvE players (Deej told us that in the weekly update), and because a light level increase requires an end game activity to grind, and because Bungie isn't giving us substantial new PvE content (like a full new end game activity to grind) for free IMHO. So the only possibility is to either let us keep grinding KF for a higher number (horrible), or update one or more of the old raids with new "raid challenges" (possibly will get boring fast, but not horrible).

One of the devs spilled the beans after DGAF took him to Mercury I think.

Yeah I'm pretty sure drizzay and zoba took him to Mercury then asked him a few questions about the game and he mentioned this.

lol

Nghtlys playing in that PS4 tourney on Saturday (with hype and droid), there's loads of very good teams entered so should be a cracker. Hopefully someone from Bungie watches it instead of Goth and Broman and sees what we really want

Deku Tree

Nghtly's playing in that PS4 tourney on Saturday (with hype and droid), theresloads of very good teams entered should be a cracker. Hopefully someone from Bungie watches it instead of Goth and Broman and sees what we really want

How do you know he's not going to withdraw again on the day of the tournament?

LOL.

WIll be interesting to see him play sweaties instead of Trials. I also talked to DrLupo and Ramblinnn about the ps4 tourney. They're entering that as well with their new characters and as of last weekend, they don't have good guns like TLW so it'll be interesting to see how they fair with guns like Eyasluna haha. They're entering more for fun and to see how they can do more than anything, since they were pretty stressed during the tourney and they absolutely hate Thorn.

Deku Tree

I also talked to DrLupo and Ramblinnn about the ps4 tourney. They're entering that as well with their new characters and as of last weekend, they don't have good guns like TLW so it'll be interesting to see how they fair with guns like Eyasluna haha.

Why don't they use a friends account to play in the tourney? like Poshy and War and Extremism and other Xbox players do.

Did you enjoy any of the mirror missions? I maybe, maybe, enjoyed Assault on the Control Room backwards?

I didn't mind it that much, but at this point, we've spent Vanilla, TDB, HoW and Taken King all going through the same maps. The Cosmodrome especially feels played out. How many times am I going to go through the Rocket Yard? or The Blast. I think there are 4 missions through there?

I have no issues at all with repurposed geometry.

Reused geometry on the other hand, causes the game to feel stale.

For instance, The beginning of the Phogoth strike is very similar to a Mission, all the way down to the boss room. This makes the Phogoth strike stale because it feels like reused content.

Meanwhile the first HoW mission repurposed the Archon Priest strike by added a small amount of geometry, as well as new enemies/encounters, and a modified vehicle for the player. This makes it feel like brand new space to me.

Similarly, the Fist of Crota mission that starts you off in the Blast Zone seemed incredibly unique when it first launched, because no one had ever approached the Blast Zone from that direction. The entire encounter seemed incredibly unique compared to the Devil's lair strike that uses the same space.

You can find examples of reuse and repurposing all over the game. But you'll notice the repurposed pieces seemed to be more enjoyed compared to the reused.

I'll offer one final example. The PS4 exclusive strike for TTK, the Echo Chamber. This strike plays in the exact same space as the Eye of the Gate Lord mission. Except Bungie gave us a new mechanic to work with, as well as a variety of encounters that occur in the area just before the boss. This makes the space feel unique, despite it using 100% of old geometry.

Edit: Now I want to create an excel sheet of all the zones involved in every missions, and measure the overlap.

Lol, probably

LOL.

WIll be interesting to see him play sweaties instead of Trials. I also talked to DrLupo and Ramblinnn about the ps4 tourney. They're entering that as well with their new characters and as of last weekend, they don't have good guns like TLW so it'll be interesting to see how they fair with guns like Eyasluna haha. They're entering more for fun and to see how they can do more than anything, since they were pretty stressed during the tourney and they absolutely hate Thorn.

War is currently tearing shit up with an Eyasluna

I have no issues at all with repurposed geometry.

Reused geometry on the other hand, causes the game to feel stale.

For instance, The beginning of the Phogoth strike is very similar to a Mission, all the way down to the boss room. This makes the Phogoth strike stale because it feels like reused content.

Meanwhile the first HoW mission repurposed the Archon Priest strike by added a small amount of geometry, as well as new enemies/encounters, and a modified vehicle for the player. This makes it feel like brand new space to me.

Similarly, the Fist of Crota mission that starts you off in the Blast Zone seemed incredibly unique when it first launched, because no one had ever approached the Blast Zone from that direction. The entire encounter seemed incredibly unique compared to the Devil's lair strike that uses the same space.

You can find examples of reuse and repurposing all over the game. But you'll notice the repurposed pieces seemed to be more enjoyed compared to the reused.

I'll offer one final example. The PS4 exclusive strike for TTK, the Echo Chamber. This strike plays in the exact same space as the Eye of the Gate Lord mission. Except Bungie gave us a new mechanic to work with, as well as a variety of encounters that occur in the area just before the boss. This makes the space feel unique, despite it using 100% of old geometry.

Edit: Now I want to create an excel sheet of all the zones involved in every missions, and measure the overlap.

A great, smart distinction.

Kyoufu

I'm not even having fun in 3v3 games either.

What used to be the best game type is now nothing more than who-can-abuse-heavy-first.

Top Bottom