• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

I would forgive so much if Bungie actually cared at all about the live game. For example, it took them nearly 5 months to fix the heavy ammo glitch. There's so much that's broken, flawed or unused in the live game, but it won't be touched til the next major release.

The Diablo team is pushing another major patch out.
Look at it.

20+ sets are being balanced to make them more appealing. Class perks that are never used are being reworked or rebalanced. Flavor text is being tweaked. Perks are having better descriptions added. They're totally reworking several of the major legendary gems. They're even adding a few reskinned monsters.

Then look at the massive Blue post at the end. Clearly explaining changes, directly addressing player feedback.

They do this 2-3 times per year. With tons of previews and open play tests.

DIABLO HAS NOT HAD ANYTHING PAID IN TWO YEARS.

Meanwhile, Bungie has a pathetic 6 people on a live team doing micro-transaction events and tiny little bug and sandbox fixes. The closest thing to blue posts is DeeJ posting in b.net saying "I've passed this along to the team" or Lars saying in a tweet "Side arms and Icebreaker may make the special ammo change a bit wonky." Meanwhile classes didn't get rebalanced at all til last December, and only Titans because "Well, we thought they were fine."

That's it? Really? Year 2 is hardly better than Year 1 here. In fact, it's worse.

I'm salty because so many of Destiny's problems are self-inflicted. I'm salty because so many of the problems could be addressed outside of a yearly update.

I'm salty because the problem with Destiny is Bungie. And after 2 years in, I don't see that changing.

Hedera

2) The Tom Clancy modern day setting hampers any potential the game has in loot, skills and overall variety. I'd be a lot more excited if it were a sci-fi Cyberpunk setting or something along those lines. As it stands they can't get too crazy with any of the skills. No robots to fight, just humans. No rocket launchers with wolfpack rounds. Yawn.
This is my biggest problem with it. The realistic setting just doesn't appeal to me when it comes to shooters. Sign me up for Gears, Bioshock, Destiny of course, but from what I've seen so far and after playing a bit of the beta (didn't get to experience the DZ due to the lack of PS+ atm) Division isn't something I think I would enjoy.

Still interested in seeing what the end game content looks like though.

ocean

Banned
Division
No man's Sky
FF15 (still don't think this is happening)
Persona 5
Uncharted 4
Dark Souls 3

In a way it's almost a good thing Destiny and Mass Effect were delayed, this year is so stacked

Sorry to unload like that.

For those of you who I don't play with on the regular, I keep my time in Destiny very chill and fun. That's what the game is for. I save the salt for the thread, where you can either read and discuss my posts or if I annoy you with my long-winded and often salty posts, you can just hit the 'Ignore' button.

Carry on.

Division
No man's Sky
Persona 5
Uncharted 4
Dark Souls 3

In a way it's almost a good thing Destiny and Mass Effect were delayed, this year is so stacked

I'm going to get some serious mileage out of Persona 5. Probably my most anticipated release this year.

I would forgive so much if Bungie actually cared at all about the live game. For example, it took them nearly 5 months to fix the heavy ammo glitch. There's so much that's broken, flawed or unused in the live game, but it won't be touched til the next major release.

Look at it.

20+ sets are being balanced to make them more appealing. Class perks that are never used are being reworked or rebalanced. Flavor text is being tweaked. Perks are having better descriptions added. They're totally reworking several of the major legendary gems. They're even adding a few reskinned monsters.

Then look at the massive Blue post at the end. Clearly explaining changes, directly addressing player feedback.

Meanwhile, Bungie has a pathetic 6 people on a live team doing micro-transaction events and tiny little bug and sandbox fixes. The closest thing to blue posts is DeeJ posting in b.net saying "I've passed this along to the team" or Lars saying in a tweet "Side arms and Icebreaker may make the special ammo change a bit wonky." Meanwhile classes didn't get rebalanced at all til last December, and only Titans because "Well, we thought they were fine."

That's it? Really? Year 2 is hardly better than Year 1 here. In fact, it's worse.

I'm salty because so many of Destiny's problems are self-inflicted. I'm salty because so many of the problems could be addressed outside of a yearly update.

I'm salty because the problem with Destiny is Bungie. And after 2 years in, I don't see that changing.

Hear, hear. At this point I'm thinking the engine is the main thing holding Bungie back, if only because it doesn't seem as malleable as the engine Diablo is on.

EL CUCO

Look at it.

Great post.

Off topic, is the uncharted collection worth picking up? I've never played an Uncharted game before.
Don't shoot me!

My wife bought me this a few months ago and I played through them all for the first time.

Personally, it feels like a poor mans tomb raider. I know it has a crazy large following, and people love the multi (of which I didn't touch at all), but it just didn't do a lot for me.

I would take Tomb Raider 2013 over the Uncharted Collection, any day.

That said, Uncharted wasn't bad. I do plan on picking up number 4 at some point, just not at full price at launch or anything.

Like I said the multi does nothing for me, and I would feel better paying $30-$40 for a single player 6-8 hour campaign.

Look at it.

giphy.gif

Frenden

Banned
Division
No man's Sky
Persona 5
Uncharted 4
Dark Souls 3

No Man's Sky may capture me for a while. I love discovery and am a sucker for procedurally generated landscapes let alone planets.

LTWood12

Look at it.

Then why don't you just go play Diablo.

Kappa

Off topic, is the uncharted collection worth picking up? I've never played an Uncharted game before.
Don't shoot me!

You definitely should. Have you played The Last of Us?

Division
No man's Sky
Persona 5
Uncharted 4
Dark Souls 3

I'm super in on No Man's Sky, I really like the idea of exploration and trading in such a large universe. It may have been confirmed somewhere else, but I'm hoping there's some way for my friends and I to hook up and traverse the stars.

I am a bit concerned about how it's all going to be executed, because it's really ambitious.

Namikaze1

Missed it (more like chose to skip it) but what the heck did they show in their stream yesterday?

Look at it.

Great post, John.

Namikaze1

am I the only one that thinks the space ship looks like a cross between an x-wing and a Battlestar Viper?

Don't shoot me!
As a huge Uncharted fan, yes. If you're thinking of buying UC4, then yeah, you definitely should get the collection. Story is okay across all three games (though 2 is fucking great) but it's the characters that made me fall in love with the franchise.

Namikaze1

I'm missing all 3 Void subclass emblems. Multi kills with Shadow shot is giving me a hard time :/
IB Clash was great for farming those multi shadow shot kills for the emblems. Completed the Defender class quest back when IB Control was up. People just kept rushing in, thinking they could somehow beat me in my own bubble.

Haven't started the voidwalker yet.

Currently on the grenade step for blade dancer and striker (I think sunsinger as well) while 4 knives away from starting the grenade step on my gunslinger.

Missed it (more like chose to skip it) but what the heck did they show in their stream yesterday?.

Don't tell anyone, but they hinted there may be secret chests somewhere on the Dreadnaught. Also, they spoiled the ending to the Regicide mission so it's a good thing you weren't watching.

Deku Tree

What's up with all the people who have like tons of recent posts in the division beta OT showing up to make their first post in OT39 to talk down Bungie and Destiny today?

Namikaze1

Deej being awkward. Designers not having answers to questions, and some cool concept art.
Stuff that should have been shown before the release of TTK.

They just walked around the Dreadnaught showing a piece of concept art once in a while.
I think I saw the concept art you both may be talking about a couple pages back. If that's what was shown, then yeah it is a pretty cool concept art.

Don't tell anyone, but they hinted there may be secret chests somewhere on the Dreadnaught. Also, they spoiled the ending to the Regicide mission so it's a good thing you weren't watching.
Gah! Spoilers!

LTWood12

Destiny is built on technology that sounds incredibly inefficient for the type of ecosystem the community wants. It's frustrating to see this as someone who loves the game so much.

The thing most of us love most about the game itself (other than the awesome community), is the way the game FEELS. The movement in first person, the way the guns sound and the feedback you get, Blink, etc.; all that stuff feels fucking awesome. I wonder if the game could still feel this good if they scrapped the in-house engine/tools for Destiny 2 and just used something like Unreal or Cryengine. Could they get the feel close enough to make it worth it to make the change? With a 3rd party engine like that I'm sure content updates, feature adds, balance changes, and would be a lot more efficient. But damn I don't want the feel of the game to get fucked up.

Maybe fyfe can comment on this since I don't know what the hell I'm really talking about.

ocean

Banned
IB Clash was great for farming those multi shadow shot kills for the emblems. Completed the Defender class quest back when IB Control was up. People just kept rushing in, thinking they could somehow beat me in my own bubble.

Haven't started the voidwalker yet.

Currently on the grenade step for blade dancer and striker (I think sunsinger as well) while 4 knives away from starting the grenade step on my gunslinger.
I have Gunslinger, Bladedancer, Sunsinger, Stormcaller and Striker.

Missing a few SS multi kills for Nightstalker and about halfway through Defender. Basically zero progress on Voidwalker and Sunbreaker since I never use those.

I think I saw the concept art you both may be talking about a couple pages back. If that's what was shown, then yeah it is a pretty cool concept art.

They showed one image about every 3-5 minutes I think. So probably like 25 images total.

A lot of them were literally turned into in game shots.

The best looking one was of the Hull Breach Zone. They mentioned how the render guys almost laughed it out of the office or something.

A lot of stuff was boring. Like: "In this room, we used a shark tooth as a basis for color for this floor." or "In this room, we used barnacles as a basis for texture on this wall."

Not that I'm trying to undermine the artists. They did fantastic work, and so did the guys who rendered it.

It's just that the whole presentation felt out of place. Like the guys who were there had to be because the real guy wasn't available.

It got really awkward when they were like

Guy 1: "and to make sure you knew you were still on a ship. Here is a chunk of wires running between walls."

Deej: "That must be how Oryx gets his Cable!"

Guy 2: "Sure, maybe."

Destiny is built on technology that sounds incredibly inefficient for the type of ecosystem the community wants. It's frustrating to see this as someone who loves the game so much.

The thing most of us love most about the game itself (other than the awesome community), is the way the game FEELS. The movement in first person, the way the guns sound and the feedback you get, Blink, etc.; all that stuff feels fucking awesome. I wonder if the game could still feel this good if they scrapped the in-house engine/tools for Destiny 2 and just used something like Unreal or Cryengine. Could they get the feel close enough to make it worth it to make the change? With a 3rd party engine like that I'm sure content updates, feature adds, balance changes, and would be a lot more efficient. But damn I don't want the feel of the game to get fucked up.

Maybe fyfe can comment on this since I don't know what the hell I'm really talking about.

The way the game feels, the way things happen when you're in a group with buddies raiding or pvping and you get physics'd out of the arena, or you're doing a jump puzzle and you get smacked away by a hazard.

It's a combination of good things. It's things that a game like World of Warcraft does, but in a smaller bite that doesn't require as much dedication to achieving a plateau. It's a good looking and good feeling game to play. It's a combination of the sounds, effects, visuals, and feedback that come together in a good package.

But yeah...it seems like their engine is oppressive.

What's up with all the people who have like tons of recent posts in the division beta OT showing up to make their first post in OT39 to talk down Bungie and Destiny today?

Anyone and everyone is welcome to post here, especially first time posters. There are no pre-requisites to be part of DGAF, everyone is encouraged to talk about the game if they are interested. Of course we encourage thoughtful posting but it doesn't matter if the opinions are positive or negative.

Frenden

Banned
Replace Destiny's loot/progression and endgame with that of Diablo and give us an endless/adventure mode and I'd never have to play another game ever again.

EL CUCO

The Division doesn't have Blink, right?

*preorders*
Its got servers too. So you can give your Netduma a rest for a while ;)

Bungie can't even get a simple emote mechanic right. They offer you all these option (and charge you for them) and only give you 1 slot for it...even Battlefront does it better.

This frustration, though, is amplified by the odd design decisions.

Like, we could adjust to getting use to slower content, but what scares us is that older content (up to this point) is dissappearing at a faster rate than it's being replaced.

This adds extra stress and friction with the playerbase. We don't know what's going to happen to the current fun content in the game, because it might get tossed aside the next time light level goes up.

For instance, lets say Light Level goes up in May, and all of the sudden there are easier ways to get to 340 than King's Fall. Well, King's fall doesn't have very fun/unique weapons and/or armor that make it worth running the same way people still held onto VoG when Crota's End became a thing.

So what's going to happen? Are we going to see the largest end game activity evaporate in 2 months? These are questions I shouldn't have to ask. Questions that make me worry about the future of the game.

I know the current rumor is that old end game content is coming back, but until I see some hard evidence, I'm going to be concerned/stressed that a chunk of content in this game is going to become worthless.

Deku Tree

Anyone and everyone is welcome to post here, especially first time posters. There are no pre-requisites to be part of DGAF, everyone is encouraged to talk about the game if they are interested. Of course we encourage thoughtful posting but it doesn't matter if the opinions are positive or negative.

Of course, completely agree.

All the same, shit posting is shit posting. And there is a big back and forth going on today.

This frustration, though, is amplified by the odd design decisions.

Like, we could adjust to getting use to slower content, but what scares us is that older content (up to this point) is dissappearing at a faster rate than it's being replaced.

This adds extra stress and friction with the playerbase. We don't know what's going to happen to the current fun content in the game, because it might get tossed aside the next time light level goes up.

For instance, lets say Light Level goes up in May, and all of the sudden there are easier ways to get to 340 than King's Fall. Well, King's fall doesn't have very fun/unique weapons and/or armor that make it worth running the same way people still held onto VoG when Crota's End became a thing.

So what's going to happen? Are we going to see the largest end game activity evaporate in 2 months? These are questions I shouldn't have to ask. Questions that make me worry about the future of the game.

I know the current rumor is that old end game content is coming back, but until I see some hard evidence, I'm going to be concerned/stressed that a chunk of content in this game is going to become worthless.

It's a valid question. With HoW, everything was viable. Granted you had to get the etheric light from HoW stuff, but you could do VoG and max out that gear viably.

TTK came, and all of that content was made obsolete. Instead of taking the HoW system, they decided to throw EVERYTHING away for their new expansion. And that shit got stale.

If there was an etheric light system in TTK, I bet you there would be a shitload of more people playing, whether to collect raid sets or raid weapons or old weapons. But they also do the inane shit where they stop selling old gear. It's a huge fucking mistake. Bungie is a mess. I want my Devil That You Don't Hand Cannon again. They are throwing away old content instead of adding to it and integrating it for the future, there is nothing wrong with doing that. Sure have plateaus after each main release, 'Oh your Destiny 1 gear won't be upgraded further', but plateauing after an expansion for Destiny 1 and making us wait another goddamn year with the current stuff? Inexcusable.

They showed one image about every 3-5 minutes I think. So probably like 25 images total.

A lot of them were literally turned into in game shots.

The best looking one was of the Hull Breach Zone. They mentioned how the render guys almost laughed it out of the office or something.

A lot of stuff was boring. Like: "In this room, we used a shark tooth as a basis for color for this floor." or "In this room, we used barnacles as a basis for texture on this wall."

Not that I'm trying to undermine the artists. They did fantastic work, and so did the guys who rendered it.

It's just that the whole presentation felt out of place. Like the guys who were there had to be because the real guy wasn't available.

It got really awkward when they were like

Guy 1: "and to make sure you knew you were still on a ship. Here is a chunk of wires running between walls."

Deej: "That must be how Oryx gets his Cable!"

Guy 2: "Sure, maybe."

Yeah it was disappointing. I like this post from DTG:

That was what sold me on the ride along idea. Stuff like The Blast, learning those are fuel pipes that exploded when things went full panic, stranding the ships there. Was really interesting to see what went into giving the space some history.

This was not that. This was mostly just showing us the things we've been looking at for 6 months and pointing out the most obvious design cues that most people already notice, like the bent pillars where the ship hit. I kind of hoped for more.

They didn't even bother explaining some stuff! They point out the reverse waterfalls at Oryx's door, but just left it at that. Even if it's obvious it still would've been nice to mention those are the tithes of Light flowing up from other Hive. But they didn't want to talk about a lot of stuff either because those 2 guys don't personally know it, or because they wanted to avoid spoiling content that's 6 months old.​

Of course, completely agree.

All the same, shit posting is shit posting. And there is a big back and forth going on today.

Yep, I agree with that as well. It's unfortunate but also expected. We can't eradicate "low effort" posts from Neogaf but we can encourage people who may be genuinely interested to join the conversation. People who don't actually care will get bored and leave, like always. If we're gonna be around for 10 years then this kinda thing is bound to happen repeatedly.

EL CUCO

Yep, I agree with that as well. It's unfortunate but also expected. We can't eradicate "low effort" posts from Neogaf but we can encourage people who may be genuinely interested to join the conversation. People who don't actually care will get bored and leave, like always. If we're gonna be around for 10 years then this kinda thing is bound to happen repeatedly.
I cant help but read these posts in the voice of the Speaker
kappa

OT but Pro Tip from me last night. Don't try and go full auto with TLW after you start your second glass of whiskey. It doesn't work out. Sorry John.

OT but Pro Tip from me last night. Don't try and go full auto with TLW after you start your second glass of whiskey. It doesn't work out. Sorry John.

The salt is so strong that discussion of actually playing the game is now OT.

kappa.

I advertised the group as Chill Crucible. Mission accomplished. There's gotta be a time for taking Destiny & the Crucible less serious. Hence me using First Curse.

The salt is so strong that discussion of actually playing the game is now OT.

kappa.

I advertised the group as Chill Crucible. Mission accomplished. There's gotta be a time for taking Destiny & the Crucible less serious. Hence me using First Curse.

I thought about it...and if we had just got one revive in that salvage match we would have won :(

Those guys turned it up to 11 at the end.

Top Bottom