• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

WipedOut

You could have saved it with the Garrison!!! ;_;

!

I thought the same thing but didn't want to point out the obvious. Also why did you switch to heavy John?

Titan Master Race!
Capture.png

Deku Tree

Discussion point about Season passes:

For Destiny, The Dark Below and House of Wolves were $20 each (or $35 together) and they were called "expansions" and everyone hated on Bungie because it was not "expansion sized" content. Then The Taken King came along for $40 and that was called a "large expansion".

For the division all the three DLC together are $40 and they are each called three "large expansions". I wonder how big they will be.

Kyoufu

That The Divison has still yet to prove it doesn't have. People just feel like they're getting the one-up on Bungie by buying The Division (Whilst at the same time arguing that they're not the same thing).

Go back and read the Destiny Beta thread, it's identical to The Division thread.

I don't think The Division will be great or better than Destiny, but I can understand people looking for a better game than this one, whether they find one or not.

And I'm sure beta players of The Division appreciated matchmaking options for every activity.

LTWood12

For Destiny, The Dark Below and House of Wolves were $20 each (or $35 together) and they were called "expansions" and everyone hated on Bungie because it was not "expansion sized" content. Then The Taken King came along for $40 and that was called a "large expansion".

For the division all the three DLC together are $40 and they are each called three "large expansions". I wonder how big they will be.

The Division is the new girl/guy that joins your class at small private school mid-semester and everyone thinks they're super attractive. Then you hear their weird laugh, or they cry at something really odd, or they get kicked out for bringing hydrocodone to school in an Altoids tin and everyone's like 'meh.'

WipedOut

Guy with cool helmet tackles guy with ugly helmet.

Best helmet in the game. Only thing that comes close is the Hunter IB Helm.

The Division is the new girl/guy that joins your class at small private school mid-semester and everyone thinks they're super attractive. Then you hear their weird laugh, or they cry at something really odd, or they get kicked out for bringing hydrocodone to school in an Altoids tin and everyone's like 'meh.'

Exactly. The fact that they won't have pre-release reviews speaks volumes to me on what to expect. The majority will play the game 3-6 months then drop it.

phen0m24

While I preordered both, I will likely play both the Division and Destiny somewhat casually.

Destiny FOMO is too real.
Like the PDX drop.
Or the Grasp. The Doctrine hype!
Deterioration of
non existent
skills, knowing D2 is eventually coming
during the next Presidential administration

If the Division expands slightly beyond the typical Ubi collect a thon, it could be really great. But I think expecting a raid is probably setting ourselves up for a letdown.

Although they could do something like "multiple fireteams vs many high level enemies" and whomever survives gets the loot... which would make the whole thing addictive and tense
or make many rage quit

RIP March 8th and beyond, especially with Ori Definitive Edition coming out on March 11th for a "great discount" if you own the Base Game. Hopefully I can knock out XCOM EW before March 8th.

But if Trials tomorrow is a good map, then I'll be Scarab farming if I can find 2 people to do it with.

Raven117

I don't think The Division will be great or better than Destiny, but I can understand people looking for a better game than this one, whether they find one or not.

And I'm sure beta players of The Division appreciated matchmaking options for every activity.

Oh, I think folks are excited for another big release that is "loot driven" is all.

Yeah, there is likely some retaliation against Destiny because some folks feel a little betrayed by Destiny.

I think ultimately, the two really wont be super comparable other than to say that the player base is similar. I sincerely doubt the gameplay will be as buttery smooth as Destiny's is, but The Division may have a few other distinguishing characteristics.

I doubt The Division will have the legs Destiny did, but so what? 3-6 months of solid gaming with one game is more than enough for my 60 bucks.

LTWood12

Exactly. The fact that they won't have pre-release reviews speaks volumes to me on what to expect. The majority will play the game 3-6 months then drop it.

All the Iron Banner helmets are badass IMO.

To be fair, Destiny didn't have pre-release reviews either. I want to want to play the Division, but it just seems so drab. Maybe it'll surprise me. But it just kind of seems like drab game, but one releasing at the perfect time to scratch an itch that Destiny isn't currently providing. I'm surprised at how many people seem pumped for it. Especially the Giant Bomb guys. Totally thought Jeff & Dan would think it was super boring, but they both really like the beta.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Glad I'm not the only one!

It is indeed much stronger than people give it credit for, even in PvP. The recoil is a bit unwieldly, but when it spins up to maximum RPM it feels great. The health recovery perk is nice, and damage buff on kill is okay. It's only a 3 second buff, so it can be a clutch save, but it doesn't change the gun much.

Any other Titans out there should give it another chance. I've infused mine to 312.

HOWEVER. The gun is great until you run into a Doctrine. It absolutely destroys Fabian.

Also glad I'm not the only one. But it's sad that people don't know how good this gun is. I feel this forum likely killed the Fabian Strategy for a lot of people because there were several regular posters trashing it hard shortly after TTK came out.
It's not my pvp gun of choice but I find I'm using it more and more often in pve.
Soloing the Undying Mind strike is no small feat. And the Fabian Strategy is what pulled me through.

Gun is just so much fun to use. I think it's the best class specific gun in the game by far. Sure the Tlaloc is nice as well, but when the FB strats spins up its party time. And everyone like to party. Well at least Rod and I like to party.

Deku Tree

Using the same excuse as Bungie? So this is a Vanilla Destiny type of situation? You don't buy the excuse that it is hard to truly experience an online shared world game before the servers come online?

WipedOut

Using the same excuse as Bungie? So this is a Vanilla Destiny type of situation? You don't buy the excuse that it is hard to truly experience an online shared world game before the servers come online?

For the first two months I barely played Destiny. It was not a fun experience until I branched out and found people to play it with.

This is a ubisoft game. I don't see it lasting like a bungie game. I hope I'm wrong, I hope this game comes out and has a great community like Destiny. The only thing I can say is that based off the Beta I do not like this game, but then again, I'm not a big fan of 3rd person military shooters. I like the 1st person perspective.

You could have saved it with the Garrison!!! ;_;

I thought the same thing but didn't want to point out the obvious. Also why did you switch to heavy John?

Titan Master Race!
Capture.png

Sorry. Too busy laughing for B I G P L A Y Z.

My take:

The Division is that new girl/guy that joins your small town high school sophomore year. Your best friend has had you hooked on cigarettes for 2 years now. It kinda sucks spending money on an addiction, but you tell yourself that's all there is to do and it's how you spend time with your friends. The new girl/guy tries to get you to quit, but they're a little weird too and while cigarettes are addictive, they give you a rush that this new guy/girl on their own can't offer.

The new guy/girl eventually fades and become a loner and you're still smoking cigarettes wondering what new filter or flavor they'll have next Year. Occasionally you remember that new girl/guy and how they were offering fun that wasn't based on professional grade addiction and didn't "get off" on being withholding and promises to put effort into the friendship beyond once a year in the fall, but hey, at least your best friend has a 10 year plan of friendship (even if graduation has been delayed a year).

Exactly. The fact that they won't have pre-release reviews speaks volumes to me on what to expect.The majority will play the game 3-6 months then drop it.

Destiny did the same thing though and here I am, 1000 hours later still playing it.

Imo the Division will be fine as long as Massive supports and listens to the community. They basically can just look at Destiny at what it did wrong and what it did right.

Destiny did the same thing though and here I am, 1000 hours later still playing it.

Imo the Division will be fine as long as Massive supports and listens to the community. They basically can just look at Destiny at what it did wrong and what it did right.

Yeah, the whole no reviews before launch thing doesn't really mean anything when you have a crazy long beta/stress test/demo where the players themselves can easily get a sample of the game.

Lee

The only thing I can say is that based off the Beta I do not like this game, but then again, I'm not a big fan of 3rd person military shooters. I like the 1st person perspective.

I'm in this boat.

I only have 2 or 3 nights a week to really play games for more than an hour, and Destiny is still great for that, for me. Trials is still fun, I don't mind running the raid once a week, etc.

I didn't enjoy the Division beta. Too much of what I love in Destiny was missing from Division.

I might be on that Bungie 10 year track after all.

Also keep in mind that reviews from the games press aren't very helpful for games like Division & Destiny. The end game is where we spend most of our time, but that is rarely, rarely ever touched on in reviews.

Taken King scored very well, and deservedly so, for the story and campaign. But the end game is abysmal and we didn't truly comprehend that for a few weeks at least. Months in now, it's downright terrible.

People are in for a rude awakening with the Division. They act like they've never played an Ubisoft or Tom Clancy game before. It doesn't even have dedicated PvP modes and they think it'll be comparable (or BETTER?) in longevity to Destiny? I look forward to the hundred or so hours I'll get out of it.

People are in for a rude awakening with the Division. They act like they've never played an Ubisoft or Tom Clancy game before. It doesn't even have dedicated PvP modes and they think it'll be comparable (or BETTER?) in longevity to Destiny? I look forward to the hundred or so hours I'll get out of it.

I don't think most people think it'll be comparable to the longevity of Destiny. I mean most regulars here are either close to 1000 hours or more. If The Division can give me at least 2 weeks of fun then it'll be a winner.

ocean

Banned
I don't get why it has to be a Division vs. Destiny thing. Beta was pretty cool and I'm fairly confined to I'll get a good 30-50 hours out of that game. Anything over that would just be gravy.

If it ends up being a 1,000 + 2 year long hobby like Destiny? All the better! But that's not the bar I set for whether a game is cool or not.

WipedOut

I don't think most people think it'll be comparable to the longevity of Destiny. I mean most regulars here are either close to 1000 hours or more. If The Division can give me at least 2 weeks of fun then it'll be a winner.

But that's the problem. People should have the mindset you have but they don't. I'm sure the division will be fun but it most likely won't have the longevity of something like destiny. People are so thirsty that they want to believe this game will quench that destiny style thirst but sadly it most likely will not.

What if...I have no excitement nor plans for The Division? I guess my Soul
s
has been lost in a Dark location, perhaps for the 3rd time? And that location is Uncharted? ...hahaha...

I think a healthy dose of skepticism regarding The Division is appropriate. It seems like it could be interesting, but I am worried about the endgame. If the game is just a bunch of story and side missions with the dark zone as an endgame I don't know if that will be enough. Even with the hype I am going to wait and see what reviewers say about the endgame a few days after release. If it's bad I'll just keep spinning my wheels until Dark Souls 3.

phen0m24

Well... technically you can coop, IF you can find each other. With everything they've said about the scope of the game, that seems pretty unlikely unfortunately.

It would be so cool to have the SS NeoGAF with a bunch of weirdo space pirates on board. Like the Millennium Falcon in the Lego Movie.

But that's the problem. People should have the mindset you have but they don't. I'm sure the division will be fun but it most likely won't have the longevity of something like destiny. People are so thirsty that they want to believe this game will quench that destiny style thirst but sadly it most likely will not.

If people are playing it and it's fun, it'll be fine. Will 330 really be this great draw if there's no content or weapons to get it?
Hey let's do HM Oryx again for the 173rd time I'm 329

So as I've always said "damage referee" and improved control match making is a lie https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/48rs5j/crucible_a_tour_of_the_world_via_control/

Dont know why Bungie will not just revert the changes back to HoW era. Surely at this point pvp population must have dropped off a cliff right? Everyone i know that played pvp daily has stopped for a loooong time. Those 3 hours+ sessions i played of just normal pvp for fun seem like a long lost memory at this point.

ocean

Banned
Longevity reflects preferences. A lot of people play CoD for the campaign and some zombies and are done after 3 weeks. Others play thousands of hours in multiplayer.

Tons of people quit Destiny as soon as they realized they were just doing the same shit over and over again ad infinitum looking for a totally meaningless number to go up; others have kept at it because they have fun.

I'm sure a lot of people will play a few weeks of Division and others will still be there in a year. Game is gonna be huge, like Destiny is, attract tons of fans and tons of haters - like Destiny.

Ultimately, the only similarity I feel strongly ties them together is they offer replay loops which only cater to a subset of players, leading to many adoring fans and many disappointed deserters.

As for me? I got my money's worth with Destiny by the time I cleared VoG the first time (I played hours a day for weeks, my US$60 were well served by then). If Division campaign and some DGAF dark zone stints prove fun for 2-4 weeks then it's perfect. Any more = cherries on top I think.

For the first two months I barely played Destiny. It was not a fun experience until I branched out and found people to play it with.

This is a ubisoft game. I don't see it lasting like a bungie game. I hope I'm wrong, I hope this game comes out and has a great community like Destiny. The only thing I can say is that based off the Beta I do not like this game, but then again, I'm not a big fan of 3rd person military shooters. I like the 1st person perspective.

The Division is a game developed by Massive and published by Ubisoft. Destiny is a game developed by Bungie and published by Activision.

If I had to describe the two games in the simplest terms...

The Division is an RPG first and a tactical TPS second in a persistent always-online world.

Destiny is a second-to-none FPS first and an RPG second in a persistent always-online world.

...which is a bit strange given the two games settings.

I loved everything about The Division in my 50 hours with it. There is room for both Destiny and The Division in my gaming time and hope it stays that way content wise.

Dont know why Bungie will not just revert the changes back to HoW era. Surely at this point pvp population must have dropped off a cliff right? Everyone i know that played pvp daily has stopped for a loooong time. Those 3 hours+ sessions i played of just normal pvp for fun seem like a long lost memory at this point.

Day dreaming: We're at 320 light right now, right? The Light Level bump is to...

hqdefault.jpg

Etheric Light comes back. Complete old raids to get it. Everything is viable again. Luke Smith stated one of the goals of Etheric Light was to get everyone to the same place before the next year. So why not?

^ That is a work of (box)art. I love it.

s
has been lost in a Dark location, perhaps for the 3rd time? And that location is Uncharted? ...hahaha...

Yea, I didn't like getting killed by you TWICE in the Dark Zone! You Murderer!!!!

s

I'm currently in the middle of a replay of Tropical Freeze.

Looks like I wont be getting my Starfox fix anytime soon, though...

All I know is I'm going to South America for a week in May, and I swear if there is yet another missable event in Destny during that week, I'm going to be full blown pissed with this game.

Frenden

Banned
I'm waiting for some DGAF early adopters
(suuuuuckers)
to kick the tires on The Division and report back. I don't want to commit to another life-suck like Destiny without some full game impressions.

I'm waiting for some DGAF early adopters
(suuuuuckers)
to kick the tires on The Division and report back. I don't want to commit to another life-suck like Destiny without some full game impressions.

All I can think about is how much "sweatier" the crucible will become after next Tuesday. RIP.

ocean

Banned
Oh btw since some people were asking the other day whether 13 Devils would be participating in tournaments: Nghtly addressed this yesterday on stream.

So apparently they've been playing other games (Black Ops / Counter Strike) and very little Destiny. Nghtly says he played some casual games against War and Anbu the other day and realized he'd lose any tourney for sure - motivating him to come back and get better.

Seems like he's got a new team of 3 (Astdroid and Hype), since Chriss isn't playing and the kiwi dream lags too hard. So they'll be maining Destiny again to get in shape and start participating in tourneys.

LTWood12

Day dreaming: We're at 320 light right now, right? The Light Level bump is to...

hqdefault.jpg

Etheric Light comes back. Complete old raids to get it. Everything is viable again. Luke Smith stated one of the goals of Etheric Light was to get everyone to the same place before the next year. So why not?

Bring EL back. Make all year one and year two legendaries drop at 320, and EL applied would bring them to whatever the new cap is (360 maybe?). Drop EL from Trials Bounties, Iron Banner Packages, Raids, Nightfalls.

No Man's Aky might have the best box art ever
Like seriously

25361261661_3aaa8a761ftunk.jpg

That's pretty.

Because that would mean admitting they were wrong and as we now know they don't do that and instead double down or flat out lie

Top Bottom