• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

All this is great and all but what if you A:) don't like the gunplay, B:) don't care for the setting and C:) don't like the end game??

I applaud them for giving such a great road map and hope Bungie can follow suit but all that is meaningless to ME since I don't really care for the game.

Yep. Just gotta hope that another social shooter out there will put some pressure on Bungie to improve on Destiny in ways that players want and need.

With all the 1,000+ word thoughtful posts I make, am I allowed to make one shitpost?

giphy.gif

(I just found it looking for funny "burn" gifs. but yeah, the salt is real.)

EL CUCO

I'm excited to compare the games and the content once all the hype dies down and we know what were actually getting with the Division. I decided against buying the division on day 1, but I may buy it shortly after release once it is more clear what content I am actually getting with the game.
What's to compare tho, honestly? Destiny has old content and no real future road map, and the Division has new content with road map.

Comparison over lol

It all just boils down to whether you want to play a new tactical RPG TPS shoot and loot game or just keep playing Destiny.

join us!

PS: I know what you mean by waiting...you wanna see the actual content before you jump in and that's smart, but you can't really compare the 2 games imo.

I'm excited to compare the games and the content once all the hype dies down and we know what were actually getting with the Division. I decided against buying the division on day 1, but I may buy it shortly after release once it is more clear what content I am actually getting with the game.

I'm neither here nor there with the Division.

I think I'm with you in that I'm going to wait and see whats up with it. But the fact that they have a road map clearly defined gets bonus points with me.

Kyoufu

What's to compare tho, honestly? Destiny has old content and no real future road map, and the Division has new content with road map.

Comparison over lol

It all just boils down to whether you want to play a new tactical RPG TPS shoot and loot game or just keep playing Destiny.

join us!

The loot is so boring though. I mean, Destiny doesn't do a great job at loot either but stuff like The Last Word, Gjallarhorn, Exotic Swords etc spice the game up at least a little bit. Nothing I've seen in The Division so far makes me think "holy crap I must have that weapon/armour!" and with it being a modern setting there probably won't be anything terribly exciting down the road.

Comparison over lol

What? Of course Destiny has a future road map, Bungie just hasn't divulged it.

No way a studio as large and as competent as Bungie don't have a internal roadmap that is split into large content releases, monthly events and smaller content patches. Obviously for various reasons it's not always possible to have a game like Destiny release everything in line with their original plan and a poor launch offset that as did a shift to newer models such as microtransactions and a live team but I'm pretty confident they at least have all the big requirements mapped out and will work to expand and mature as much content as is feasible as they release it.

The division for better or worse is a much less ambitious looking project and seems all lined up to bomb I've heard very little buzz about it beyond marketing and by the time games like Call of Duty are rearing on the horizon I expect the games player base to dwindle drastically. Destiny carved a niche but it's got a huge player base. I can't see The Division doing anything close to destiny numbers.. ever and certainly not in terms of player retention.

The loot is so boring though. I mean, Destiny doesn't do a great job at loot either but stuff like The Last Word, Gjallarhorn, Exotic Swords etc spice the game up at least a little bit. Nothing I've seen in The Division so far makes me think "holy crap I must have that weapon/armour!" and with it being a modern setting there probably won't be anything terribly exciting down the road.

Let's make a distinction here.
  • Many of us are excited for the Division as the game.
  • Many others of us aren't excited about the Division itself, but rather how it's being run.
Loot and real world vs fantasy settings and 3PS vs FPS doesn't really matter to the second group. But roadmaps, content updates, developer interaction ARE Huge and put the pressure on Bungie to improve in ways that they really are under-performing.

EL CUCO

The loot is so boring though. I mean, Destiny doesn't do a great job at loot either but stuff like The Last Word, Gjallarhorn, Exotic Swords etc spice the game up at least a little bit. Nothing I've seen in The Division so far makes me think "holy crap I must have that weapon/armour!".
We've only played the beta though. But yeah I know what you mean. It is more modern style weaponry and gear. It's not sci-fi wolf pack round with no aliens to shoot in the face and watch explode. It's just a different type of game focused more on your Agent's progression than the shoot bang.

However, during the beta I definitely felt that hook and addiction to find better loot. Something I hadn't felt in Destiny since probably Year 1.

even the expansions described sound dull

Available in June, this first major expansion lets players explore the uncharted underworld of New York City. Players will chase deadly enemies with up to three other Agents through an endless maze of tunnels and subways.

endless maze of tunnels.. yay?

Kyoufu

Let's make a distinction here.
  • Many of us are excited for the Division as the game.
  • Many others of us aren't excited about the Division itself, but rather how it's being run.
Loot and real world vs fantasy settings and 3PS vs FPS doesn't really matter to the second group. But roadmaps, content updates, developer interaction ARE Huge and put the pressure on Bungie to improve in ways that they really are under-performing.

I agree and in that respect I do think Ubisoft have something great going on with The Division. They've been saying all the right things and even updating the game based on feedback in a very timely manner. All the cookies go to them.

I also agree that The Division's foreseen success should put pressure on Bungie to do better, but I think the issue Bungie has is they don't have resources available to support the live game as much as we would like them to which comes down to the fundamental reason why Destiny isn't as good as it should be: Bungie did not account for the constant demand of content when they started this project. I mean, that should have been evident when they announced support from an external studio (High Moon) almost a year after the launch of Destiny. These things should be planned for and executed BEFORE a game goes live, not way after.

Ubisoft actually already has other studios helping Massive with The Division, for example.

EL CUCO

No way a studio as large and as competent as Bungie don't have a internal roadmap that is split into large content releases, monthly events and smaller content patches. Obviously for various reasons it's not always possible to have a game like Destiny release everything in line with their original plan and a poor launch offset that as did a shift to newer models such as microtransactions and a live team but I'm pretty confident they at least have all the big requirements mapped out and will work to expand and mature as much content as is feasible as they release it.

The division for better or worse is a much less ambitious looking project and seems all lined up to bomb I've heard very little buzz about it beyond marketing and by the time games like Call of Duty are rearing on the horizon I expect the games player base to dwindle drastically. Destiny carved a niche but it's got a huge player base. I can't see The Division doing anything close to destiny numbers.. ever and certainly not in terms of player retention.
You're hoping and assuming a whole lot. You must be new to Destiny.

As for the bolded, The Division had 6.4 million people in the open beta while Destiny had 4.6. Has matchmaking for every piece of content offered and is available on PC. Why couldn't you see the Division doing anything close to Destiny numbers? As far as player retention goes, we'll see...but as of now all Destiny has is what it's been since Sept...TTK.

200w.gif

I believe in fairytales too

I agree and in that respect I do think Ubisoft have something great going on with The Division. They've been saying all the right things and even updating the game based on feedback in a very timely manner. All the cookies go to them.

I also agree that The Division's foreseen success should put pressure on Bungie to do better, but I think the issue Bungie has is they don't have resources available to support the live game as much as we would like them to which comes down to the fundamental reason why Destiny isn't as good as it should be: Bungie did not account for the constant demand of content when they started this project. I mean, that should have been evident when they announced support from an external studio (High Moon) almost a year after the launch of Destiny. These things should be planned for and executed BEFORE a game goes live, not way after.

Ubisoft actually already has other studios helping Massive with The Division, for example.

I'm frustrated that people always seem to focus on new content as the problem. Content is one thing. Updates are what's really needed. That can be content, yes, but in my eyes what's needed more and what's more feasible is both communication and balancing, tweaking, etc.

But let's not mince words here. That was Year 1. This is Year 2. It's no better, hence my early long post about Bungie itself being Destiny's problem.

I love Destiny and have been a long time loyal Bungie supporter, but man, I want the Division to turn the heat up on Bungie, hard.

Lnkn52

How would we ever know if they never share this information with us.

At the end, does it really matter? I just want Destiny to improve. And if having the Division compete for the same player base only means that both studios will have to find ways to attract/keep new and old players.

I'm frustrated that people always seem to focus on new content as the problem. Content is one thing. Updates are what's really needed. That can be content, yes, but in my eyes what's needed more and what's more feasible is both communication and balancing, tweaking, etc.

But let's not mince words here. That was Year 1. This is Year 2. It's no better, hence my early long post about Bungie itself being Destiny's problem.

I love Destiny and have been a long time loyal Bungie supporter, but man, I want the Division to turn the heat up on Bungie, hard.
E X A C T L Y

Deku Tree

There aren't even official Destiny sales numbers anyway. Just "over 25 million accounts" which includes people who only played the free version.

I can see the Division putting up big sales numbers, especially with it being on PC. PC certainly helped boost their beta numbers, over consoles.

Yeah Division is certainly going after the Destiny audience. But a TPS is not an FPS. IDK I thought 1 out of 2 of the Division beta missions were boring.

I'm frustrated that people always seem to focus on new content as the problem. Content is one thing. Updates are what's really needed. That can be content, but in my eyes what's needed more and what's more feasible is both communication and balancing, tweaking, etc.

I love Destiny and have been a long time loyal Bungie supporter, but man, I want the Division to turn the heat up on Bungie.

To add on to what you're saying, a thing that's being ignored is that the guy who posts updates, also does it in an obtuse way.

Like, looking at that roadmap vid for division, everything is clear. "You're getting X, Y, and then Z, and you'll be getting 1, 2, and 3 throughout the months.". Meanwhile when Deej talks about the future of Destiny, it's more like "You might be getting this and that, X will be related to it, or maybe it will not! Maybe X is really 2!".

Deku Tree

PvP in Destiny is much worse in y2 than it was in y1, and I am a PvP player. I am amazed that Bungie has let it get this stale.

Crucible loot drop rates are horrible. Hit detection is broken. Lag is still a huge problem, as always. For a long time, dead bodies were just piling up in PvP maps and nothing was done about it. Too many sweaty matches. SBMM vs CBMM. Bungie's "Damage Referee" appears to do nothing. Bungie's big Crimson Days event was a loot drop disaster and Bungie couldn't even figure out why.

PvP in Destiny is much worse in y2 than it was in y1, and I am a PvP player. I am amazed that Bungie has let it get this stale.

Crucible loot drop rates are horrible. Hit detection is broken. Lag is still a huge problem, as always. For a long time, dead bodies were just piling up in PvP maps and nothing was done about it. Too many sweaty matches. SBMM vs CBMM. Bungie's "Damage Referee" appears to do nothing. Bungie's big Crimson Days event was a loot drop disaster and Bungie couldn't even figure out why.

What the hell is this damage referee I keep seeing reference to

Is that the Mercy thing?

edukate

A thing that's being ignored is that the guy who posts updates, also does it in an obtuse way.

Like, looking at that roadmap vid for division, everything is clear. "You're getting X, Y, and then Z, and you'll be getting 1, 2, and 3 throughout the months.". Meanwhile when Deej talks about the future of Destiny, it's more like "You might be getting this and that, X will be related to it, or maybe it will not! Maybe X is really 2!".

#facts

Kyoufu

There are a few issues regarding lack of updates in Destiny:

1) Their editing tools suck Cabal testicles.

2) Lack of resources for a live team capable of consistently delivering necessary updates.

3) Stubborn designer mentality. Year 2 Light Level system is total garbage, but I'm willing to bet some people at Bungie's office actually enjoy it.

I think #2 is the biggest reason of the three as to why we've not had timely updates. Bungie have to meet contractual obligations with Activision so resources must be super thin.

ocean

Banned
if I wasn't into the PVP hard like I am in Destiny, I'm sure I would have stopped a long time ago

i feel bad for the PVE only players

I can't even imagine how any shooter could be fun for more than a week or two without competitive multiplayer. It's just what I've always imagined people play shooters for :p

Don't jump the gun and say none of the loot in Division has excited them like the Exotics in Destiny have. We didn't see any exotics in Destiny til after launch. None of the Division betas have let you get past lvl 8 when the max is 30. We haven’t seen Division’s equivalents of Exotics yet. Maybe they won’t compare well, but we haven’t seen enough to make the comparison yet

24 Then Bungie rained on Destiny Year 2 SBMM and special ammo changes from the update out of Bellevue, 25 and They overthrew those Year 1 expansions, and all the previous loot drops, and all the inhabitants of the Tower, and what came at the drop screen. 26 But deku tree, from NeoGAF, looked back at Year 1, and he became a pillar of salt.​

Not that you're wrong, Deku. Signing off now before the Fluffdate, because I'm sure y'all are all sick of me by now.

Thank you DGAF for being the constant light in the wilderness that is Destiny.

What the hell is this damage referee I keep seeing reference to

Is that the Mercy thing?

Deej talked about this for a couple of weeks I think back in early January.

Basically, the idea is to stop red bars from abusing the game. If you have a shit connection, even though you might see yourself hitting a target, if the referee (read: host) doesn't agree with your shot, then it doesn't count.

This means you may see yourself hit a target, and even see them flinch from said hit, but their health will not drop because of it.

Bungie says it's mainly against people with poor quality connections. Though I've personally been victim to it myself several times, and I'm running fiber.

It happens regularly, and is very frustrating to see, especially with 1HKO weapons.

Deku Tree

Don't jump the gun and say none of the loot in Division has excited them like the Exotics in Destiny have. We didn't see any exotics in Destiny til after launch. None of the Division betas have let you get past lvl 8 when the max is 30. We haven’t seen Division’s equivalents of Exotics yet. Maybe they won’t compare well, but we haven’t seen enough to make the comparison yet

24 Then Bungie rained on Destiny Year 2 SBMM and special ammo changes from the update out of Bellevue, 25 and They overthrew those Year 1 expansions, and all the previous loot drops, and all the inhabitants of the Tower, and what came at the drop screen. 26 But deku tree, from NeoGAF, looked back at Year 1, and he became a pillar of salt.​

Not that you're wrong, Deku. Signing off now before the Fluffdate, because I'm sure y'all are all sick of me by now.

Thank you DGAF for being the constant light in the wilderness that is Destiny.

Yes we have. They're yellow weapons.

Your training is complete. Welcome to the dark side.

PS: John, always have a sword equipped for jumping parts, especially pistons :p

I had finished the jumping part. I used Garrison & the sword to skip the second piston part. I was just chilling and swapped gear to get ready for Daughters. :p

(Also, having to use a sword for the jumping is amateur mode.)

So, I was playing some strikes last night, there's a cooldown and cap on glimmer consumables? I did Omingul twice. I would pop the Hive glimmer consumable and after X amount of glimmer I would just stop getting in despite the timer still being active. When the heck did they do that? I'm glimmer poor yo

darthbob

So, I was playing some strikes last night, there's a cooldown and cap on glimmer consumables? I did Omingul twice. I would pop the Hive glimmer consumable and after X amount of glimmer I would just stop getting in despite the timer still being active. When the heck did they do that? I'm glimmer poor yo

Same thing happened to me on the same strike, except with Fallen enemies. I'd get ~1000 glimmer or so and then it'd just stop accumulating. :(

Weekly update is out. Nothing worth mentioning.

Not really true.

TL;DR

Here is our tour through the Dreadnaught.

Next week on Twitch will be a ViDoc focusing on the Audio Team.

Patch coming to tune the matchmaking formula. According to Bungie this one will favor connection more than anything Destiny has done previously. (March 8th) And apparently includes tools so the matchmaking guys can update this without a patch in the future.

Kalamari

You know, I might just play the division just to see how they handle certain things, and how comparable things are handled (or mishandled) in destiny.

Deku Tree

That has been happening since TTK launched actually. It was stealth implemented.

You are only allowed to earn X amount of glimmer in each Y time period. After that you stop earning glimmer until Y time period expires, then you magically start earning glimmer again as long as your ghost or your consumable is still active.

I have no idea what are the exact values of X and Y.

Top Bottom