• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

I played the division closed beta for hour and realized it really wasn't for me. I don't care for all the traveling. the basics mechanics of the game didn't seem solid either. If it had controls like GEARS then I would have to reconsider

I'm staying faithful to the old girl and am not being enticed by this new mistress

WipedOut

No Man's Sky might have the best box art ever
Like seriously

25361261661_3aaa8a761ftunk.jpg

am I the only one that thinks the space ship looks like a cross between an x-wing and a Battlestar Viper?

Off topic, is the uncharted collection worth picking up? I've never played an Uncharted game before.
Don't shoot me!

Oh btw since some people were asking the other day whether 13 Devils would be participating in tournaments: Nghtly addressed this yesterday on stream.

So apparently they've been playing other games (Black Ops / Counter Strike) and very little Destiny. Nghtly says he played some casual games against War and Anbu the other day and realized he'd lose any tourney for sure - motivating him to come back and get better.

Seems like he's got a new team of 3 (Astdroid and Hype), since Chriss isn't playing and the kiwi dream lags too hard. So they'll be maining Destiny again to get in shape and start participating in tourneys.

Got to get a lot of practice to drop out at the last minute.

Kyoufu

They're actually adding loot trading in The Division. It'll be interesting to see how that will pan out. Could be damaging to the game's economy.

MildSoss

They're actually adding loot trading in The Division. It'll be interesting to see how that will pan out. Could be damaging to the game's economy.

Not to mention they're actually showing a road map about what they're getting for the rest of the year.

...and Daily & Weekly Assignments to go along with the "Monthly Events" the developers have previously spoken of. Also, they will seemingly be adding Raid-like (and maybe Raid-lite) events the first month after release to go along with 2016's worth of DLC coming in 3 expansions (which has been known for weeks now but at least there are some new details).

Deku Tree

...and Daily & Weekly Assignments to go along with the "Monthly Events" the developers have previously spoken of. Also, they will seemingly be adding Raid-like (and maybe Raid-lite) events the first month after release to go along with 2016's worth of DLC coming in 3 expansions (which has been known for weeks now but at least there are some new details).

Lol the "incursions" in division look to me like four player longer and harder story missions. They look a lot More like a strike than a raid.

Yup. Just saw the new trailer and it confirms end game raids and trading.

Does not confirm raids.

Not to mention they're actually showing a road map about what they're getting for the rest of the year.
Destiny had a Year One map. It's Year Two that turned to shit.

It's really pointless to compare the two; hopefully Massive learned from Bungie's mistakes but they are too far apart to compare directly.

LTWood12

Wonder if they'll sort out the PC release to prevent the rampant cheating. If not, adding player trading is going to make it even more broken. Hopefully the console releases can avoid those issues.

Deku Tree

No, it's not. It's Massive the same way Bungie isn't Activision. I just hope the Division hits it out of the park so it lights a fire under Bungie's ass to make Destiny 2 great right out of the gate.

Ubi owns Massive since 2008. Activision doesn't own Bungie.

NeOak

Its Massive who is developing the game, Ubisoft is publishing it. LIKE Bungie developed Destiny and Activision published it.

No, it's not. It's Massive the same way Bungie isn't Activision. I just hope the Division hits it out of the park so it lights a fire under Bungie's ass to make Destiny 2 great right out of the gate.

uh

Ubi owns Massive since 2008. Activision doesn't own Bungie.

Pretty much. The studio is called "Ubisoft Massive"

Kyoufu

Take notes, Bungie/Activision.

Seriously, take some fucking notes.

The Division may not be good/great at the end of the day but Ubi/Massive are presenting the game far better than Bungie has with Destiny over past two years.

The Division is the new girl/guy that joins your class at small private school mid-semester and everyone thinks they're super attractive. Then you hear their weird laugh, or they cry at something really odd, or they get kicked out for bringing hydrocodone to school in an Altoids tin and everyone's like 'meh.'

LT always bringing the best analogies and 90's themed gifs.

am I the only one that thinks the space ship looks like a cross between an x-wing and a Battlestar Viper?

Off topic, is the uncharted collection worth picking up? I've never played an Uncharted game before.
Don't shoot me!

You're not alone. I thought it looked very much like a Viper. As for the Uncharted collection, it's great! I love those games, and you can find the collection for pretty cheap online, if you don't mind going digital. I believe I got mine for $25.

Take notes, Bungie/Activision.

Seriously, take some fucking notes.

The Division may not be good/great at the end of the day but Ubi/Massive are presenting the game far better than Bungie has with Destiny over past two years.

I'm still gonna play the fuck out of it. :p

Tecnniqe

Banned

Trading works in the sense of Diablo 3 by the sounds, as trading in your group.

In which case there will be no eco damage and no items selling.

Wonder if they'll sort out the PC release to prevent the rampant cheating. If not, adding player trading is going to make it even more broken. Hopefully the console releases can avoid those issues.

There has already been fixed implemented for this, CB was all out with no checks, OB had checks and as a result mostly glitches/exploits were used, on both console and PC.
Cheaters got banned.

Namikaze1

It's hilarious reading salty posts about Destiny in other threads and sites. So freaking hilarious. Well, can't tell if it's the posts or this stream I'm watching that's making me laugh.

Kyoufu

I think the biggest issue with Destiny is that Bungie made contractual agreements with a publisher who expects them to meet said agreements. So if something needs to be changed or done differently than what they were obliged to on a piece of paper then it must be difficult for Bungie to talk their way into getting that contract altered. There's a lot that Bungie did not expect and has had to adapt to which means their original contract probably means squat right now. Like, they expected to make a big sequel-ish game every two years with development cycles being 3 years minimum this gen? Haha, good luck with that.

Ubisoft and Massive don't have this issue since they're a singular entity and can adapt to anything on the fly.

Trading works in the sense of Diablo 3 by the sounds, as trading in your group.

In which case there will be no eco damage and no items selling.

That's great. Good feature in Diablo 3 and Destiny could have used this a long, long time ago.

I played the division closed beta for hour and realized it really wasn't for me. I don't care for all the traveling. the basics mechanics of the game didn't seem solid either. If it had controls like GEARS then I would have to reconsider

I'm staying faithful to the old girl and am not being enticed by this new mistress

lol this is pretty much me as well. I don't care about the end game if playing the game (moving and shooting) isn't good. Vanilla Destiny had a billion design problems but they absolutely nailed the important stuff right out of the gate. It's felt fantastic to play, and the art/sound design was top notch from the beginning.

I think the quality they released at launch sometimes gets overlooked due to the very valid criticisms of the MMO-ish progression systems, broken story etc. People hand-waved the incredible game feel as "of course it feels good, it's a Bungie FPS" but that's still Destiny's most remarkable accomplishment.

lol this is pretty much me as well. I don't care about the end game if playing the game (moving and shooting) isn't good. Vanilla Destiny had a billion design problems but they absolutely nailed the important stuff right out of the gate. It's felt fantastic to play, and the art/sound design was top notch from the beginning.

I think the quality they released at launch sometimes gets overlooked due to the very valid criticisms of the MMO-ish progression systems, broken story etc. People hand-waved the incredible game feel as "of course it feels good, it's a Bungie FPS" but that's still Destiny's most remarkable accomplishment.

I think the fact that it's open-world doesn't really do anything for me either. everything just feels like a chore. walk all the way over there, kill some guys, walk all the way back. I think most open-world games suffer from this as well

fortunately for me, I skip all the story parts to get to the meat and potatoes of the game so that doesn't really detract from the overall experience

clearly destiny is flawed. hopefully it has a progression that will lead to something great. I do think they have a strong foundation in just having solid FPS mechanics. I don't even feel like the Division has solid mechanics for a TPS

maybe if epic games made the division my opinion would be totally different

I may take the plunge with The Division after the first expansion is released. Going to take a wait and see approach.

I'm also looking forward to playing my first Souls game with DS3, and of course have Uncharted 4 on the horizon. So I already have plenty of stuff to play in the meantime.

I think the fact that it's open-world doesn't really do anything for me either. everything just feels like a chore. walk all the way over there, kill some guys, walk all the way back. I think most open-world games suffer from this as well

fortunately for me, I skip all the story parts to get to the meat and potatoes of the game so that doesn't really detract from the overall experience

clearly destiny is flawed. hopefully it has a progression that will lead to something great. I do think they have a strong foundation in just having solid FPS mechanics. I don't even feel like the Division has solid mechanics for a TPS

maybe if epic games made the division my opinion would be totally different

I don't get this hate for the tps gameplay? I he played a ton of Gears of War and while it doesn't feel as tight, it still felt fine imo. It felt like then uncharteds tps gameplay to me...

Namikaze1

Only good thing Division has going for it in my opinion is the DZ. Everything else felt subpar from what I played in the beta. Wasn't a fan of the gunplay. Well, pretty much didn't like the gameplay. Character movement felt too sluggish for my liking.

Destiny may be a repetitive game but its gunplay is simply perfect. And that's why I keep returning to it. Put nearly 15 hours into the first division beta and that was enough for me to know this isn't something I'll be picking up day one.

But hey, put me down as some salty ass person, folks of the Division Beta thread who keep coming to this thread. :/

Frenden

Banned

Destiny doesn't just feel good--it's the best feeling FPS since maybe the original Doom
(up until the hand cannon nerf at least)

I played a small bit of the Division beta and the shooting felt like balls. If all my DGAF friends pick it up, I will too--for the social experience more than the game itself, likely. But it didn't grab me.

Kyoufu

My biggest issues with The Division (and the reasons why I cancelled my pre-order):

1) The shooting isn't fun. Not for me anyway.

2) The Tom Clancy modern day setting hampers any potential the game has in loot, skills and overall variety. I'd be a lot more excited if it were a sci-fi Cyberpunk setting or something along those lines. As it stands they can't get too crazy with any of the skills. No robots to fight, just humans. No rocket launchers with wolfpack rounds. Yawn.

Getting this game hopefully tomorrow, and I have a question.

Is LAN multiplayer a thing? Like, you and a friend on the same internet playing online together.

Top Bottom