• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Wat. You're doing D+O now? lol I can hop back and run it on Grave's Titan or something if we get enough interest for another.

Ahh, right on. I knew you'd been trying to get that X1 Year 2 flawless so I was hoping one of these runs had been the one. I'm sure it will happen soon!

Yea hoping to help with my nephew's first ever at the same time. We got to 7 wins in our 2 decent attempts last night. Had to teach him and his buddy (who are both 12 years old haha) how to make callouts like where you killed that person, what you see, stay on your dead orb and do a 360 to see if anyone is near or hard scoped, etc. Burning shrine brings out the sweaty teams for some reason.

So much activity....is it reset already? :p

Vaal I can help if you're short one.

We just finished actually but there may be some interest in doing a WP CM or three, not sure if we'll need more or not.

edit: it sounds like everyone is sticking around for Totems and WP, so we should be good for now. If a spot opens up I shoot you an invite. Thanks bro!

maomaoIYP

Holy shit, I just realized that since it's a public holiday over here today and tomorrow I can actually find a group to do challenge mode. I've still not done a single one.
Is it oryx CM tomorrow? Because I don't know if I can do that at all, I haven't raided in months.

Edit: just remembered that I have some relatives visiting us tomorrow, looks like it's a no-go for reset raid after all.

Holy shit, I just realized that since it's a public holiday over here today and tomorrow I can actually find a group to do challenge mode. I've still not done a single one.
Is it oryx CM tomorrow? Because I don't know if I can do that at all, I haven't raided in months.

Golgoroth tomorrow, I'm going to need to do it as well as I have zero armour for infusion

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I notice that SO many Trials groups lame it out lately. They hang back and camp waiting for supers. It's just going to get worse with special ammo changes. Camping for special and then whoever gets special first wins.

Thanks everybody for those quick and clean WP CMs. Of course the loot table is bad and I got three 320 Heavies Grave didn't need, but c'est la vie. At least it was easy.

I notice that SO many Trials groups lame it out lately. They hang back and camp waiting for supers. It's just going to get worse with special ammo changes. Camping for special and then whoever gets special first wins.

Yeah this became one of my biggest issues with Trials. I got so bored sitting around every match plus it further reduced gun skill as a deciding factor. With slow rounds you have more supers which puts too much emphasis on who can win the super battle. I love the super abilities and they give Destiny a lot of personality but it's hard for them to feel powerful without overwhelming the gunplay. Teams that waste time early then pop supers as soon as they get them and effectively chain orbs can win every round thereafter. Of course there's skill and teamwork involved but it's not terribly interesting imo. I'd be fine if they removed orbs from PvP entirely.

The special ammo changes could go either way. Personally I'd love to rush down campy teams with primaries but Invective, Icebreaker, No Land Beyond, and sidearms might put a damper on that strategy. If that strategy fails then basically you're stuck with the even campier version of Trials, like you said. It'll also be even harder to help with carries because one of the biggest factors for less experienced players is they don't know how to use their movement abilities effectively, so the "primary rush" strategy won't work well.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Im done with destiny. The lag in pvp is a fucking joke...I have used 25 3 of coins and not a single exotic drop. No new content and tired of doing the same shit ass strikes over and over.

2real4tv

They are nerfing special ammo? I wish they would stop altering the game.

They are nerfing special ammo? I wish they would stop altering the game.

No ammo at start of 3v3 matches, including Trials. Change won't affect 6v6 or Rumble.

This week's BWU said:
After the update, players will start certain matches without Special Ammo. Once the match has begun, those green Special crates will behave in the same ways you’re used to

Im done with destiny. The lag in pvp is a fucking joke...I have used 25 3 of coins and not a single exotic drop. No new content and tired of doing the same shit ass strikes over and over.

Now is the best time to walk away for awhile. All of the usual issues with the game aren't going anywhere and Bungie is clearly focused on the "next big thing," as they should be. Personally I think it will be a long time before there's any significant new Destiny content.

Unless the summer event turns out to be larger than all 3 preceding seasonal events combined, the earliest would be September. Based on the Kotaku article even that sounds unlikely. I wouldn't be shocked if it was winter or even 2017 before there's a reason to really get hyped. Your characters will still be here waiting when there's a reason to play again.

I honestly don't see how Bungie can think snipers are okay how they are. I'm literally getting headshotted by people who haven't even brought their scopes up after sprinting.

I honestly don't see how Bungie can think snipers are okay how they are. I'm literally getting headshotted by people who haven't even brought their scopes up after sprinting.

Despite my earlier theres nothing to see here stance, its starting to annoy me now esp after switching to the Doctrine, it shouldn't be possible for someone to dome me whilst being hit by it

Is Crimson at reset or the usual IB time?

Will hit with the patch so IB reset time

Despite my earlier theres nothing to see here stance, its starting to annoy me now esp after switching to the Doctrine, it shouldn't be possible for someone to dome me whilst being hit by it

It's ridiculous how much you can get away with. They need to nerf the AA into the ground and honestly there should probably be a damage threshold where you get knocked out of ads. If you are hard scoping and I put 50 damage on you you shouldn't be able to headshot me with ease. It's gotten so annoying I get angry even when I'm the one doing the ridiculous snipes.

It's completely ruined the flow of the game as well as special weapon diversity. If snipers got nerfed and fusions got an accuracy buff I think we'd see a lot more variance. Right now though there is no reason not to snipe. It's easy, you can OHK pretty much anything with a headshot, a body shot leaves you with barely any health, and you can revive snipe much easier than you can revive shotgun. Because of this games have become campy snipe fests where teams take turns peeking out trying to kill each other, try to get dumb angles, and try to head-glitch whenever possible. Now primary play is hardly an issue compared to year one crucible where I remember having countless Last Word vs Thorn duels like Dregden Yor and Shin Malphur. Finally snipers more than any other weapon are horrible when combined with lag and questionable hit detection as I'll literally have instances where I'm killed through walls because the other person has potato Internet.

It's ridiculous how much you can get away with. They need to nerf the AA into the ground and honestly there should probably be a damage threshold where you get knocked out of ads. If you are hard scoping and I put 50 damage on you you shouldn't be able to headshot me with ease. It's gotten so annoying I get angry even when I'm the one doing the ridiculous snipes.

It's completely ruined the flow of the game as well as special weapon diversity. If snipers got nerfed and fusions got an accuracy buff I think we'd see a lot more variance. Right now though there is no reason not to snipe. It's easy, you can OHK pretty much anything with a headshot, a body shot leaves you with barely any health, and you can revive snipe much easier than you can revive shotgun. Because of this games have become campy snipe fests where teams take turns peeking out trying to kill each other, try to get dumb angles, and try to head-glitch whenever possible. Now primary play is hardly an issue compared to year one crucible where I remember having countless Last Word vs Thorn duels like Dregden Yor and Shin Malphur. Finally snipers more than any other weapon are horrible when combined with lag and questionable hit detection as I'll literally have instances where I'm killed through walls because the other person has potato Internet.

Agree, maybe they'll be another load of nerf in the patch notes, though I doubt it. Casuals facing the full force of all the bullshit in Crimson Doubles will probably be the tipping point

Getting killed through walls happens at least once a game, a prime example from Friday

giphy.gif

Matt Frost

I heard from people that they use a trick:

Put a red hot on the middle of the screen, where heads should be, and it should make things easier for sniping, quick scopes, no scopes and such things. I have to try this myself

Go into a Crucible match, right after you spawn aim with a sniper without doing anything else and put the dot there, I was told that this trick work pretty good

I don't see them changing anytime soon. Afaik they've never commented negatively (at all?) on sniper AA. Generally they've always said snipers were in a good place, with the exception of Final Round which they patched. Then added Luck in the Chamber. Then had the Gunsmith sell a high impact LitC sniper multiple times at the start of TTK so everyone could get it easily before eventually patching that.

Always possible they'll reconsider but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Getting killed through walls happens at least once a game, a prime example from Friday

giphy.gif

Dat red bar.

stay gold

Im pretty sure a lot of the sniper problems are caused by lag, i.e. from your perspective you're shooting and flinching them, but on their screen, due to lag, the flinch hasn't registered yet so they just dome you.

Im pretty sure a lot of the sniper problems are caused by lag, i.e. from your perspective you're shooting and flinching them, but on their screen, due to lag, the flinch hasn't registered yet so they just dome you.

And really ARs dont have a lot of flinch, the only things that really fucks up your aim is Mida and pulse rifles. And with a little luck you can still get the kill on those cases.

Tri4

I think the main problem with snipers is body shots. They do way too much damage IMO. Don't get me wrong, if someone is a skilled sniper and repeatedly domes me, I don't get annoyed and usually I'll commend their skill. But if someone just double taps me from across the map or finishes me off with a body shot after I've been tickled by someone else's primary, I don't think that's got any skill in it. Despite being a long range precision weapon, its easily viable to bodyshot someone at close range, Quickdraw switch to primary and finish them off.

Another problem is that lag benefits snipers more than any other weapon. Being sniped behind a wall is just unfair. I expect this should be fixed when they make laggers get the disadvantage.

As for aiming under fire, I don't know. I've tried sniping people while under fire and its almost impossible for me. So when people do manage it on me, I just shrug it off as skill or luck. Of course body shotting under fire is much easier which leads me back to my first paragraph.

deadduck

Despite being a long range precision weapon, its easily viable to bodyshot someone at close range, Quickdraw switch to primary and finish them off.

This is what most top players do.

Thorn still has scout range, so its horrible in non level enabled PvP with sniper and thorn bodyshots.

You're right though, the high impacts doing 167/175 allows for some easy finishing. Could do with dropping below 150. There's also not alot of tradeoff in fire rate, the high impacts fire very fast for their damage. Not enough advantage of using a low impact sniper.

Thorn still has scout range, so its horrible in non level enabled PvP with sniper and thorn bodyshots.

Ehhh not really. The damage drop off is quite real. Nowhere near TLW levels but if its mid range+ your damage goes down quite a bit (goes from 3 body shots to 4-5). Scouts do the same damage pretty much at any distance in the pvp maps.

Best defensive performance I have ever seen, even better than Seattle's performance.

uh... you didn't see SB XXXV? My Ravens put on a show.
Dear Peyton: We love you. Please retire. Sincerely, a lifelong Colts fan.

After so many years watching him try and (mostly) fail to carry crappy teams to a championship, it was great to watch Peyton get carried by that D. Fun game.

Uhhh... Destiny is also a fun game. Post is no longer off-topic.

*snip*
as long as they're owned by the Irsays, I will always root against them. sorry, driz.

Tri4

This is what most top players do.

You're right though, the high impacts doing 167/175 allows for some easy finishing. Could do with dropping below 150. There's also not alot of tradeoff in fire rate, the high impacts fire very fast for their damage. Not enough advantage of using a low impact sniper.
I would like to see all snipers range from 3 body shot kills to even 4 for the lowest impact, while keeping headshot damage the same. That way they're still viable as precision weapons but less as cleaning up the barely injured /used as powerful scouts.

Anyone wanna help me do 1 trials game? Literally 1, got 9/10 games complete for the gold bounty.

Kyoufu

Logged on Destiny in like forever and thought I'd play some PVP to maybe just have some casual fun.

So I picked the Control playlist and the map was... Skyshock.

UjbD1zX.gif

This is definitely an issue but not always the case. I've had times where they domed me after taking 3 Mida shots to the face (well after even a laggy first shot should have registered). I've also domed people despite visibly flinching on my screen so it goes both ways. Part of the issue seems to be how flinch works and how AA corrects your reticle. Of course there are lucky shots but it happens more often than should be allowed for by random luck of a reticle bouncing wildly around the screen.

uh... you didn't see SB XXXV? My Ravens put on a show.

as long as they're owned by the Irsays, I will always root against them. sorry, driz.

Can't argue with that, lol. I'm sure I'd feel the same in your position. My favorite part is how they still don't call them the "Indianapolis" Colts when they play in Baltimore. Something like "Professional Football Colts" iirc? I don't think the scoreboard uses the IND abbreviation either. Correct me if I'm off-base.

*snip*
Can't argue with that, lol. I'm sure I'd feel the same in your position. My favorite part is how they still don't call them the "Indianapolis" Colts when they play in Baltimore. Something like "Professional Football Colts" iirc? I don't think the scoreboard uses the IND abbreviation either. Correct me if I'm off-base.

some local radio broadcasters do. XD
and the Mayflower company has yet to recover in Baltimore.
When the TV commentators talk about Johnny U being an "Indianopolis" Colt, it makes me see red....
the scoreboard has to, because of NFL properties crap :/

tableflip.jpg
and that shirt is awesome!

WipedOut

Broncos Defense was on fucking point

Their D came to play

That's a little before my time but one of my earlier Colts fan memories was this gem:

edit: also, I was at this game:

edit2: was also at this game, highlight of my sports fan life:

Super Jealous of that last one. Is that first one from 94/95? the Hail Mary that might have actually been a catch AFC game? I was at that one.

Was down in Florida by 2000 so missed all the great years after I left Indy. I did go to the 2009 Colts Saints Super Bowl though.

16962_1352225810537_2264575_n.jpg

What's the best way to get Armor Materials? I need like 60 of them because I have a lot of infusing to do, but Bungie didn't deign to allow us to buy them or revert the drop rate.

also, I meant to include this screenshot in my Trials/DGAF love note:

CaqRT4-UEAM80Cg.jpg

Me & Brother Vance awaiting the return of Osiris.

Those call outs!

And yet, I said I was losing a sniper battle, and shouldn't challenge that guy again and then went right back to that lane! :(

Last night, I remembered I can dance to spy around corners and got all excited to play again.

What if I told you

You only like Trials because that's the only thing left to do in Destiny

</BitterBreezy>

There is some truth in this. But what if I told you

You're only bitter because you've been poisoned by Thorn?

glaurung

What's the best way to get Armor Materials? I need like 60 of them because I have a lot of infusing to do, but Bungie didn't deign to allow us to buy them or revert the drop rate.
My recommendation: go and grind tier one Court of Oryx matches. Easy enough to solo, guaranteed 1 or 2 blue drops every time.

ZeroCoin

Relatively new to the game here, but I've really been enjoying it. Just got 300 light on my hunter and was wondering about 3 of coins usage tips. Is there a video or guide out there that outlines a 'sweet spot' for them?

Also, any videos or FAQs bridging the knowledge gap between the seasoned veteran and the 'mastered the basics' phase would be great. It's a little daunting at times trying to pick this up when everyone else has a year+ of experience already.

My recommendation: go and grind tier one Court of Oryx matches. Easy enough to solo, guaranteed 1 or 2 blue drops every time.

Court. Of. Oryx. I'm sure you got runes for days...

Blergh. Okay. Thanks.

My Hunter is already at 306, so I should be good for Golgi. That'll get me a 320 armor piece & artifact, so I'll shoot right up to 311. If I finish all my infusing, I'll be up to 314.

So more tethers tomorrow! \o/

(Also, if I run gogli on my warlock tomorrow and do all the infusion, he'll be at 314, too. But Warlocks are dumb.)

Top Bottom