• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Thanks for the commentary, I don't feel like adding a view count to their stream until they get their shit together.

Leif to Deej "Try and set up your grenade on him" (in a 1v1) Deej throws it into the wall right in front of him, the other dude pops around triple taps him, Deej burns out

I'm done

For 10 weeks, the entire length of challenge mode, I have only played my Titan. But LT has whispered in my ear and seduced me into running alts.

So tonight I'm grinding for raid gear for my Hunter & Warlock.

TP-DK

one complaint i'll never really understand is 'try-hards' & 'sweaty players.' I mean, we all use the best weapons and the meta subclass abilities. competitive modes should be competitive no?

Sometimes its just more fun to have a relaxing match instead of always meeting players that are better than yourself.

I played 5 Crimson matches and four of them were against players that raped us completely. How the fuck is the suppose to be fun.

Frenden

Banned
Overwatch chest is legit amazing. What loot is there? Aesthetic? I thought it was a heroes based game with locked guns/abilities.

one complaint i'll never really understand is 'try-hards' & 'sweaty players.' I mean, we all use the best weapons and the meta subclass abilities. competitive modes should be competitive no?

I think it stems more from the lack of a true competitive mode.

Look at Halo, for instance. Halo 3 had Ranked playlists, and Social playlists. If you stepped into a Ranked playlist, you knew what you were in for. This was a game that was going to really challenge your abilities. Constantly bouncing between defending your current abilities, and possibly taking on those slightly better than you in an effort to climb the ladder. Sweaties, basically.

Then you had the Social playlist, this was for screwing around and having a good time. Doing stupid stuff for laughs like trying to Melee a Banshee to death. Or throwing a grenade at the start of the match to see if it sticks anything. These playlists didn't rely as much on SBMM, and because of that games could be more lopsided. However, because of how these playlists worked, and how the games were set up, losing didn't feel that bad. You could still get your kills in and feel good about it. Or deny the enemy a power weapon. Or maybe even steal their Tank when it spawns. Fun, basically. You could drink a couple beers, shoot some guys, wins some, lose some, no big deal.

Destiny is lacking "Social" style games. Every one of their playlists (even after the recent change to focus more on CBMM) feels like you are in Ranked play. You're constantly getting paired with people that are either slightly better than you, or are of equal skill. So you never really get the chance to relax and enjoy your game. You never change up your skills or weapons because you know what works, and you have to stick with that because it's what the Meta says to do. You constantly feel restricted in how you have to play the game. You're only choice is which playlist you want to sweat over. Then, on top of all that, you have the issue of trying to play with people who are on different skill levels. I haven't really been able to PvP with my wife since December because our teams are always matched on my skill level, and while my wife is a great player, her Trueskill is low enough that people of my level destroy her, which means she isn't having fun, which means I'm not having fun.

That's about the best I can describe it. It's not that I want free wins. It's that I hate that if I don't try my ass off, I'll lose every game I play.

Namikaze1

Ape, send me an invite when you're ready to play in a few hours. Gonna finish watching ENB's Dark Souls lore series. Still have about 5 videos to watch.

LTWood12

love-is-a-battlefield-dance-o.gif

Namikaze1

So far, not enjoying it. Had fun with Teasing Pink but just not liking the event. Gonna keep playing till I get one of the ghosts. Don't even care about light level.

If Bungie actually played around with their games and took it less seriously they could make some fun game modes. Give me some wackiness and some modes that have set weapons. Give me a mode with crazy speed and jump height with the weapons being shitty white rocket launchers without any perks.

Ape, send me an invite when you're ready to play in a few hours. Gonna finish watching ENB's Dark Souls lore series. Still have about 5 videos to watch.

Will do boss. I should be home in about an hour from this post. I will be playing CD with you until my raid reset crew shows up for Golgoroth 3X and then I'll be up for more later. Also, the usual Trials run on Friday with you and Mr Todd.

LTWood12

I think it stems more from the lack of a true competitive mode.

Look at Halo, for instance. Halo 3 had Ranked playlists, and Social playlists. If you stepped into a Ranked playlist, you knew what you were in for. This was a game that was going to really challenge your abilities. Constantly bouncing between defending your current abilities, and possibly taking on those slightly better than you in an effort to climb the ladder. Sweaties, basically.

Then you had the Social playlist, this was for screwing around and having a good time. Doing stupid stuff for laughs like trying to Melee a Banshee to death. Or throwing a grenade at the start of the match to see if it sticks anything. These playlists didn't rely as much on SBMM, and because of that games could be more lopsided. However, because of how these playlists worked, and how the games were set up, losing didn't feel that bad. You could still get your kills in and feel good about it. Or deny the enemy a power weapon. Or maybe even steal their Tank when it spawns. Fun, basically. You could drink a couple beers, shoot some guys, wins some, lose some, no big deal.

Destiny is lacking "Social" style games. Every one of their playlists (even after the recent change to focus more on CBMM) feels like you are in Ranked play. You're constantly getting paired with people that are either slightly better than you, or are of equal skill. So you never really get the chance to relax and enjoy your game. You never change up your skills or weapons because you know what works, and you have to stick with that because it's what the Meta says to do. You constantly feel restricted in how you have to play the game. You're only choice is which playlist you want to sweat over. Then, on top of all that, you have the issue of trying to play with people who are on different skill levels. I haven't really been able to PvP with my wife since December because our teams are always matched on my skill level, and while my wife is a great player, her Trueskill is low enough that people of my level destroy her, which means she isn't having fun, which means I'm not having fun.

That's about the best I can describe it. It's not that I want free wins. It's that I hate that if I don't try my ass off, I'll lose every game I play.

Yeah I totally understand maybe not always wanting to play against people that are at or above your skill level. I just don't understand complaining about someone elses loadout when I'm using a god-roll PDX, aimbot sniper, and god-roll ash factory.

That makes a lot of sense though. I have no Halo experience, so I didn't realize that was the setup. that would do a lot of good here.

For 10 weeks, the entire length of challenge mode, I have only played my Titan. But LT has whispered in my ear and seduced me into running alts.

So tonight I'm grinding for raid gear for my Hunter & Warlock.

planetoftheapes.gif

GutZ31

If Bungie actually played around with their games and took it less seriously they could make some fun game modes. Give me some wackiness and some modes that have set weapons. Give me a mode with crazy speed and jump height with the weapons being shitty white rocket launchers without any perks.

All the competitive stuff should have weapons that are set in stone, and you get to choose a primary, and heavy before a match, but special can only be picked up on the field at random spawns near the center of the map, and heavy ammo spawns as expected.

This would fix almost all bullshit concerning weapon balance(as long as they actually balance the games) for competitive.
Let the other games modes use whatever, and stop nerfing them to worthless for both PVP and PVE, it just makes the game not fun to play.

Namikaze1

Will do boss. I should be home in about an hour from this post. I will be playing CD with you until my raid reset crew shows up for Golgoroth 3X and then I'll be up for more later. Also, the usual Trials run on Friday with you and Mr Todd.
Fuck. I won't be able to make it. An emergency just came up and I'm fucking shaken. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

New Gametype. 'Hot Lava'

Damage modifier x 0.1 while on the ground.
Damage modifier x 2.5 while in the air.
Recovery modifier x 0.1 while on the ground.
Recovery modifier x 2.5 while in the air.

Give the Icarus a chance to shine.

New Gametype. 'Rambo'

Firing weapons no longer consumes ammo (including Heavy).

New Gametype. Multi-Team (What Crimson Doubles should have been)
Elimination
3 Teams of 2
First team to 4.
When a team has won 2 rounds, next round is Heavy.
Heart Broken buff means perma Stealth.

New Gametype. 'Hot Lava'

New Gametype. 'Rambo'

Elimination
3 Teams of 2
First team to 4.

Hot Lava sounds awesome. This makes me sad that we won't see modes like this.

New Gametype. 'Hot Lava'

New Gametype. 'Rambo'

Elimination
3 Teams of 2
First team to 4.

At least Year 2 gave us Mayhem.
When it's available that week.

All the competitive stuff should have weapons that are set in stone, and you get to choose a primary, and heavy before a match, but special can only be picked up on the field at random spawns near the center of the map, and heavy ammo spawns as expected.

This would fix almost all bullshit concerning weapon balance(as long as they actually balance the games) for competitive.
Let the other games modes use whatever, and stop nerfing them to worthless for both PVP and PVE, it just makes the game not fun to play.

It's a hard balance to strike. Part of what makes Destiny interesting is the loot aspect and how it's used in all modes. I would like an arena mode gametype though where there are weapon pickups and you start with set weapons.

They definitely need to do a better job of not hurting PvE with PvP nerfs. Just about everything needs a buff of some sort in PvE right now. It's so much more fun to melt stuff in PvE. Part of what made nightfalls fun in year one was using elemental primaries on burns and wrecking shop.

Yeah I totally understand maybe not always wanting to play against people that are at or above your skill level. I just don't understand complaining about someone elses loadout when I'm using a god-roll PDX, aimbot sniper, and god-roll ash factory.

That makes a lot of sense though. I have no Halo experience, so I didn't realize that was the setup. that would do a lot of good here.

What is odd, is that it seems like the playlists are all there when Bungie gave us the Inferno game types.

For instance,
Gametypes that should be Ranked, or be weighted more towards SBMM:
  • Inferno Clash
  • Inferno Control
  • Inferno Rumble
  • Inferno Salvage
  • Inferno Skirmish
  • Trials of Osiris
  • Crimson Doubles
  • Iron Banner

Gametypes that should be Social, or be weighted more towards CBMM:
  • Clash
  • Combined Arms
  • Control
  • Doubles
  • Mayhem
  • Rift
  • Rumble
  • Salvage
  • Skirmish
  • Zone Control
  • SRL

It's like the ground work is already there, but for some reason not one has bothered to sort them out.

Late to the party, just looking at Bungie's email to me. Been off for a while.

Is this event strictly for teams of two or something?

It's literally Trials with teams of 2, and shittier rewards.

The Broken Heart Buff is basically just super fast reload speed.

The other perks it gives aren't noticable, and in some cases are even detrimental to your play style. For instance, you cannot stealth with the Broken Heart "buff" active.

Top Bottom