• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
"Sir, our event is so bad, it's causing them to commit suicide!"

I feel like this incident is going to become a famous example cited in game design courses as an example of what not to do.

Kyne

I often revisit this thread to see how the game/community is doing to hype me up for Destiny 2.

tZOS8.gif

Xeroblade

I played some doubles last night and I am happy to see that we weren't the only ones suicide-ing just to get some neat pink colors.

Jafku

Crimson Doubles is simply not a compelling event. With only one quest and 6 bounties per character, I feel confident in saying that it is no where close to the same scale as Festival of the Lost and SRL. If one day into your event the new meta is for fireteams to literally just kill themselves over and over again to farm drops, I'd say it's a failure.
Is there anything anybody would like me to address or would like for me to change? Posting this as a reddit topic

I often revisit this thread to see how the game/community is doing to hype me up for Destiny 2.

tZOS8.gif

Yup, same and it's getting increasingly hard to believe in D2 when they still don't seem to 'get it'. No PvE content or events at all in Y2 despite their 'once only' appearance really pissing off PvE focused folks like myself in Y1 (RIP Queen's Bounties). An even more RNG based end game progression system with even fewer dice rolls thanks to the Y1 end game being made obsolete. The constant weapons game has resulted in most of the things I loved or wanted in Y1 being made wholly redundant largely without equivalent or even just novel replacements (Exotics, Elemental Primaries).

I thought player communications were bad in Year 1 when the weekly updates practically defined 'weasel words' but now in Y2 they've just stopped talking altogether. Y1 almost drove me nuts when the team would appear to promise change, 'less grind, easier mats', only to deliver the same but on steroids, 'new mat types + exp. reset.'. This total lack of communication in Y2 though is almost worse, at least the weasel words made me think they knew what people wanted but couldn't deliver. Now with this event and the SRL I'm starting to think that they don't even know what people want never mind the capacity to deliver.

Gaheris-D finallly has Rangefinder but no range perk in the last column.

Would that be better than a Gaheris-D with Reinforced Barrel or Smallbore but no Rangefinder, or do I hold off for Rangefinder + a range perk?

Bungie has to know that the community has really taken a bad turn over all of this. Even Reddit has gone full salt. They really need to get someone out here to talk to us and actively manage expectations. Certainly not Deej. This is a slow rolling disaster, at least get someone to acknowledge it, even if they don't have a solid plan in place yet (which I think is the unfortunate case).

Tri4

I think I may be the only person here that's content with Destiny. I guess that's the perk of being a mostly pvp player. I just play the game like it's Cod - just doing casual multiplayer matches over and over till I get bored. I do find more longevity in destiny though because of how different the guns can be. And just like Cod, I don't really expect to keep being supported by DLC, hell I've never bought Cod DLC before.

I do enjoy the PvE still though (especially strikes since I don't raid) and i still do nightfalls so I'll eat up any DLC the game might have especially if they come with new guns. As a Y2 player, I missed out on a lot of Y1 exotics.

And when I finally get burned out of the game (again, since I took a big break after fallout and Cod released before crawling back to destiny) I'll just move on to something else.

spyder_ur

They really missed an opportunity by not including matchmaking for this event. They could build it up like you are looking for a partner. If you win a match with someone, you can decide at the end if you want to stay with them. Perhaps even include a Tinder-esque swipe right or left mechanic.

WYL is the hero we deserve

Rumbledore
‏@WishYaLuckk
@Bungie remove SBMM or i'm making smurf's everyday and making people quit destiny. Your call.

Lol

Literally every streamer is calling them out on all this bullshit, apart from Goth

They really missed an opportunity by not including matchmaking for this event. They could build it up like you are looking for a partner. If you win a match with someone, you can decide at the end if you want to stay with them. Perhaps even include a Tinder-esque swipe right or left mechanic.

At this rate alot of the failings can seemingly be explained with, 'Can that be coded in a reasonable amount of time?'. It's that the engine is a bit archaic and well, obtuse to coding. And if the live team is what, 4 people, I doubt they know all the ins and outs of the system to make something as 'complicated' as an option to retain partnership in a game that's not really open for that.

It's a shame. Destiny could benefit from having a good engine where you can quickly make changes.

If you do the whole suicide thing, I think you may have a problem. Because it becomes a point where you're playing for the satisfaction of getting rewards rather than because of the fun gameplay.

This is sorta why people on the gaming side think we have addiction problems lol

Lnkn52

WYL is the hero we deserve

Rumbledore
‏@WishYaLuckk
@Bungie remove SBMM or i'm making smurf's everyday and making people quit destiny. Your call.

Lol

Literally every streamer is calling them out on all this bullshit, apart from Goth

This is hilarious to watch.

spyder_ur

At this rate alot of the failings can seemingly be explained with, 'Can that be coded in a reasonable amount of time?'. It's that the engine is a bit archaic and well, obtuse to coding. And if the live team is what, 4 people, I doubt they know all the ins and outs of the system to make something as 'complicated' as an option to retain partnership in a game that's not really open for that.

Yeah, that makes sense. Would've been cool, though. I don't know the mechanics of what that entails. Could have been a way to inject some humor or social awkwardness.

If you do the whole suicide thing, I think you may have a problem. Because it becomes a point where you're playing for the satisfaction of getting rewards rather than because of the fun gameplay.

This is sorta why people on the gaming side think we have addiction problems lol

I really don't understand it at all, personally, but to each their own. If anyone thinks they're sticking it to Bungie or something, I'd suggest not playing the mode as a better alternative. Then you have the benefit of not hurting other players' experiences.

Trakan

It's really no different than any other sort of cheese. People didn't shoot at a loot cave because it was fun. People didn't push Templar or Atheon off a ledge because it was fun.

It's easy chances at loot.

The new meta, WYL got two Sum of All Tears in a row with this loadout.

He's literally pub stomping people because of SBMM and his new account.

Hahahaha his comment is funny:

"This is DeeJ's ELO. These are the people he's playing against, that's why the Crucible seems fine to him"

"This isn't PvP, this must be a boss. It's Crota! No wait Crota is too easy. ITS ORYX!"

The number I saw was the difference between 290 and 320 is 4%. Since most people playing fit between those numbers as a sort of bell curve, odds are you are dealing with 1-2% discrepancies.

To be fair i started kinda chasing a little bit of light number again doing some pve because after playing quite a bit of trials i learned that some times an enemy will live with literally 1 health and fuck up the entire round because you didnt have that extra 1 damage. So i thought might as well, dont have anything to atm anyway.

phen0m24

If people are playing with the intention of not winning, I would feel comfortable doing that - better than being a boat anchor like I am in Crimson Triples, aka Trials.

Put on some Alina Baraz tunes, start up CD and let's danc- I mean jump.

the_id

Having breakfast and catching up with community posts and now I'm finding out about suicide doubles? WTF? And I still haven't had the chance to play this mode.

What's next guys?

I've been suiciding afk for the last hour and a half. Played 23 matches (+10 legit games).

So in 33 games I have not seen a singe ghost drop for me or my partner. Wow Bungie. Thank you for making the drops worth it.

Really what they should have done was make the bounties lead to a guaranteed Ghost. I have all the bounties done except for 10 more HC kills.

Jafku

I've been suiciding afk for the last hour and a half. Played 23 matches (+10 legit games).

So in 33 games I have not seen a singe ghost drop for me or my partner. Wow Bungie. Thank you for making the drops worth it.

Really what they should have done was make the bounties lead to a guaranteed Ghost. I have all the bounties done except for 10 more HC kills.

Same here

Yup. I played about 2 hours with Sushi last night and he was able to get everything. I will still be hunting the Crimson Ghost tonight when I get home.

Top Bottom