• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Good games everyone. Tis was fun, even the losing games.

So many highlights. Will play some more throughout weekend. Today is off day.

Thanks for the IB practice trains lady and gents.

Yeah, GGs everyone! Thanks to Kadey for hosting it. Bummer that my internet wouldn't cooperate but it was fun while it lasted.

I presume 260 light replaces the level 28 PoE, so that one will have MM the rest fireteam

They said the original PoEs weren't going anywhere. The new stuff is just being added below the old stuff on the Reef director screen.

Dthomp

Xur this week:

Empyrean Bellicose
Crest of Alpha Lupi
Alchemist's Raiment
Invective
Legacy Primary Engram

Figures the week I don't have a bunch of SCs is Legacy Primary, but I do need the Crest of Alpha Lupi for my hunter so at least I'll get that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hereafter hype.

gytuty.gif

amar212

So, this is Public Service Announcement.

I am looking for an permanent Trials of Osiris group. My initial group dismantled last month and I am now without true crazy bunch.

Before we split up, I had 1600 elo. Due to unfortunate runs with randoms through past weeks, it bombed severely to 1450+/-. Although I do not care about either ELO or KD, it is used for some metric, so I say it.

I am focused on Shotgun/Aggressive Support style of play on all 3 characters.

I would prefer to find a group that plays in Friday evenings European time and over weeked in late.afternnon/evening European timezones time.

That is basically it.

WipedOut

Xur this week:

Empyrean Bellicose
Crest of Alpha Lupi
Alchemist's Raiment
Invective
Legacy Primary Engram

Figures the week I don't have a bunch of SCs is Legacy Primary, but I do need the Crest of Alpha Lupi for my hunter so at least I'll get that.

Damn, now I have to go grind some Poe for coins. Gotta get that invective

He definitely mentions the enemy level while talking about the two new PoE modes.

EDIT: Also this video shows the level in the tooltip.

My point is the game is still referencing difficulty by recommended light level. Sure we know the hard level of the enemies, but that's just extra knowledge. Like how we know you need to be 311 to tackle hard mode oryx.

WeTeHa

Xur this week:

Empyrean Bellicose
Crest of Alpha Lupi
Alchemist's Raiment
Invective
Legacy Primary Engram

Thorn here I come.
Never going to use it, but I want it :p
Edit: Got it.

At work and can't turn up audio. Summary?

To add to what Lnkn said, supposedly the two extra nodes on the left side of the Her Fury skill tree that we saw would be the toggle on/off buttons for Chroma glow on that weapon. Click top node to turn on the red glow, bottom node to turn it off. The Warlock's hand cannon in those pictures had the red Chroma turned on, Titan armor had blue, Hunter armor and Warlock shotgun had Taken Chroma.

Keep in mind this is still somewhat speculation but he says that Activision sent out additional screen shots to YouTubers that apparently confirmed it. I didn't notice new pictures in that video so maybe he can't use them, I dunno. Sounds like a reasonable theory. Still no idea if Everse will get involved or not.

Armor/Weapon shaders/glow that adds a glow. Due to limited info, we only know of the Red, Blue and Taken glow.

So not really explained... More of a recap of likely conclusions from the stream. :p

To add to what Lnkn said, supposedly the two extra nodes on the left side of the Her Fury skill tree that we saw would be the toggle on/off buttons for Chroma glow on that weapon. Click top node to turn on the red glow, bottom node to turn it off. The Warlock's hand cannon in those pictures had the red Chroma turned on, Titan armor had blue, Hunter armor and Warlock shotgun had Taken Chroma.

Keep in mind this is still somewhat speculation but he says that Activision sent out additional screen shots to YouTubers that apparently confirmed it. I didn't notice new pictures in that video so maybe he can't use them, I dunno. Sounds like a reasonable theory. Still no idea if Everse will get involved or not.

If I had to guess. This is the "Event" portion of the update. The part that is meant to pull in real world money. Thus, I expect Bungie will give everyone a taste (likely that package the postmaster had) for free, and then ask silver of you to expand upon it.

Maybe even in the future we'll see Chroma as Nightfall drops.

Drizz, Igor, and the rest of you dope people...I will be on about 30-40 after reset for as many cards as I can today.

Nice dude. Yeah, I think I'll be around then. Depending on everyone's schedule we can team up however makes sense. I know John probably has the most restrictive schedule so I'll defer to his availability if we have 4+ folks looking to play.

You played normal crucible? :O :O

Did you forget already? :p

lol yeah pretty much. The 6v6s was much less sweaty, maybe thanks to lower skill stats in our fireteam. I just ran around as Sunsinger-shotty scumbag and didn't need to take it seriously. It gave me hope that running some IB trains might actually be fun.

Honestly any 3v3 mode has been a nightmare ever since the December SBMM changes. Maybe that's just where the sweaty teams hang out but it's almost impossible to not match pro teams.

If I had to guess. This is the "Event" portion of the update. The part that is meant to pull in real world money. Thus, I expect Bungie will give everyone a taste (likely that package the postmaster had) for free, and then ask silver of you to expand upon it.

Maybe even in the future we'll see Chroma as Nightfall drops.

Yeah, that'd be my guess as well. They haven't talked about this update in the same way as the previous Events but we've also never seen a Live Team addition without MTs attached.

deviant1

Hey Bungie, just put MM back to whatever it was prior to the December update. I've always been more of a PVE guy, but I've been attempting to git gud by focusing my playtime on PVP for the past 2 weeks and I think I'm fucking done with anything PVP related until they fix this shit.

Playing Clash, the featured daily PVP playlist, I'm waiting around 2-3 minutes to be matched up and the result is being put in a game with 4 red bars and 3 yellow bars in the first game. I decided to stick around for another match and between matches the same player's connections all show green bar but once the game starts right back to red and yellow. My Fusion nades stick to enemies and don't kill. Multiple point blank Invective shots on an enemy loses out to a Titan Melee. Focusing fire on a guy's head and watching his health ping pong back and forth only to die to a Fusion nade I never even saw the guy throw. Getting sniped through the unopened doors on Black Shield.

Hey Bungie, just put MM back to whatever it was prior to the December update. I've always been more of a PVE guy, but I've been attempting to git gud by focusing my playtime on PVP for the past 2 weeks and I think I'm fucking done with anything PVP related until they fix this shit.

Playing Clash, the featured daily PVP playlist, I'm waiting around 2-3 minutes to be matched up and the result is being put in a game with 4 red bars and 3 yellow bars in the first game. I decided to stick around for another match and between matches the same player's connections all show green bar but once the game starts right back to red and yellow. My Fusion nades stick to enemies and don't kill. Multiple point blank Invective shots on an enemy loses out to a Titan Melee. Focusing fire on a guy's head and watching his health ping pong back and forth only to die to a Fusion nade I never even saw the guy throw. Getting sniped through the unopened doors on Black Shield.

That sounds like it's more down to the lack of people playing at the minute which means the pool of people you are getting matched against are from all the corners of the globe. Which just means high pings all around and a terrible experience for everyone. No matchmaking settings can get around a small playerbase

deviant1

That sounds like it's more down to the lack of people playing at the minute which means the pool of people you are getting matched against are from all the corners of the globe. Which just means high pings all around and a terrible experience for everyone. No matchmaking settings can get around a small playerbase

Possibly. Today was easily the worst it's ever been, but it's been a pretty miserable experience across the board for the past 2 weeks. I usually play in the afternoon around 5-6PM EST and it's still not great.

You're in a population slump right now.

People are off trying different things, and then on top of that, Destiny players know that changes are coming, which typically deters regular players from playing until the changes go through.

Thus, you're going to be left playing mostly die-hard fans.

Guys what if chroma glows are microtransactions

Thatd be funny

Seeing as they have zero appeal to me, it doesn't bother me.

WipedOut

Probably some of them are. If all of them are then it would bother me.

It's not a probably, it's most likely a certainty. They want to make money, it's a vanity item and does nothing for the player experience in regards to power. Of course they are going to sell the shit out of it. I would be disappointed if they didn't. Not saying I like it but cmon.

We'll most likely get a few free but optional ones will be available to buy and when they come out with more the ones that used to be sold will most likely be added to NF loot table.

stay gold

You're in a population slump right now.

People are off trying different things, and then on top of that, Destiny players know that changes are coming, which typically deters regular players from playing until the changes go through.

Thus, you're going to be left playing mostly die-hard fans.

I made a new account recently. There are a ton of terrible players still playing pvp, they're just hidden away from anyone with a positive kd.

Matchmaking on that account was incredibly fast and lag free to start with, then after 10 or so games you get sorted into a higher SBMM bracket and everything reverts to longer MM times, red bars and try hards.

I also started playing Black Ops 3 recently. I jumped in at rank 1 and get matched against people who have gone prestige multiple times, yet I can generally hold my own against them because the connections are perfect. The way it should be.

Deku Tree

It's not a probably, it's most likely a certainty. They want to make money, it's a vanity item and does nothing for the player experience in regards to power. Of course they are going to sell the shit out of it. I would be disappointed if they didn't. Not saying I like it but cmon.

We'll most likely get a few free but optional ones will be available to buy and when they come out with more the ones that used to be sold will most likely be added to NF loot table.

If the taken one costs silver that will make me very unhappy. It's probably going to cost like 1500 silver right?

The extremely small amount of content that we are getting with this update does not make me want to play it or spend real money on these skin things.

WipedOut

If the taken one costs silver that will make me very unhappy. It's probably going to cost like 1500 silver right?

The extremely small amount of content that we are getting with this update does not make me want to play it or spend real money on these skin things.

It's probably the only free one we get from a quest.

I had more fun running DZ than I've had in Destiny for awhile. I still love running old content and blowing shit up but the grind in Destiny and the LL system just deflates the experience. I have so many pieces of armor unleveled it's ridiculous.

Drizz, Igor, and the rest of you dope people...I will be on about 30-40 after reset for as many cards as I can today.

I'm an also ran? Was I demoted for being too salty? Lol.

Nice dude. Yeah, I think I'll be around then. Depending on everyone's schedule we can team up however makes sense. I know John probably has the most restrictive schedule so I'll defer to his availability if we have 4+ folks looking to play.

My toddler goes down for a nap at Reset O'clock to Reset:30. Currently debating playing at reset or taking a nap. Both sound pretty good, tbh.

If I don't play at reset, I'll be available around 8pm and after for a run. I'd like to go flawless, but I really want to help Igor get a Scarab Heart if he wants to hunt again.

E92 M3

I made a new account recently. There are a ton of terrible players still playing pvp, they're just hidden away from anyone with a positive kd.

Matchmaking on that account was incredibly fast and lag free to start with, then after 10 or so games you get sorted into a higher SBMM bracket and everything reverts to longer MM times, red bars and try hards.

I also started playing Black Ops 3 recently. I jumped in at rank 1 and get matched against people who have gone prestige multiple times, yet I can generally hold my own against them because the connections are perfect. The way it should be.

It was the dumbest and most unnecessary move by Bungie to change anything in the MM. I am blaming the crybabies on reddit that wanted "equal" games.

Treyarch plays it smart by having it connection based. That's all that matters and it's what the majority care about.

Deku Tree

For a while Wish You Luck was creating a new account every day to combat the SBMM, and he was recking people with green and blue weapons too lol.

It was the dumbest and most unnecessary move by Bungie to change anything in the MM. I am blaming the crybabies on reddit that wanted "equal" games.

Well we all know that Bungie cares a lot about attracting new players and keeping newer players engaged with the game. And we should care about that too if we want Destiny to have long and healthy legs as a game. Destiny PvP is currently very skill heavy. Maybe at the highest levels there is no "skill gap", but the difference between the top 30% and the bottom 30% is huge. If the bottom 30% just kept getting rekt every match they would quit and stop playing. That's why we have the SBMM.

E92 M3

For a while Wish You Luck was creating a new account every day to combat the SBMM, and he was recking people with green and blue weapons too lol.

Well we all know that Bungie cares a lot about attracting new players and keeping newer players engaged with the game. And we should care about that too if we want Destiny to have long and healthy legs as a game. Destiny PvP is currently very skill heavy. Maybe at the highest levels there is no "skill gap", but the difference between the top 30% and the bottom 30% is huge. If the bottom 30% just kept getting rekt every match they would quit and stop playing. That's why we have the SBMM.

I don't think so at all. Call of Duty has a skill differential as well and does just fine with connection. Some games a person will get rekt and some they will dominate. The percentage of people that quit because they suck is probably not that high.

Matchmaking was perfect during HoW and some loudmouths just complained too much. That's all there was too it. Making a big problem out of nothing is something Bungie likes to do sometimes.

I don't think so at all. Call of Duty has a skill differential as well and does just fine with connection. Some games a person will get rekt and some they will dominate. The percentage of people that quit because they suck is probably not that high.

Matchmaking was perfect during HoW and some loudmouths just complained too much. That's all there was too it. Making a big problem out of nothing is something Bungie likes to do sometimes.

Connection Based MM so weak that E92 still has his Christmas tree up.

Kappa.

I get all that. My biggest problem with SBMM is that it alienates me from my friends.

Of the 5 people I play Destiny with that I know in real life. None of them are on my skill level for PvP. My wife is close, but not close enough to be able to enjoy herself against enemies of my skill level.

Thus, my friends no longer want to play PvP with me, because they think we'll lose, and it'll mostly be their fault, and they wont have any fun with 3 kills and a .16 k/d.

Considering part of what makes Destiny so amazing is being able to play with your friends, it's odd to me that half the game (the PvP half) is designed to make you not have fun when doing just that.

Edit: My wife doesn't even play Iron Banner with me any more because she knows if she plays by herself, she wins like 60% of the time. If we play together, we hit 5 medallions pretty regularly.

If the bottom 30% just kept getting rekt every match they would quit and stop playing. That's why we have the SBMM.

This never happens, though. In a connection-heavy system, most games would be against mediocre players who cluster in the middle of whatever skill metric you use. This idea that the best players get to stomp the worst players every game is just not a reality in any system with a healthy player population. Moreover, team balancing almost always corrects in the instances where low skill players get into a lobby with high skill players and there are non-party slots.

Shiv47

Finally got a Red Death thanks to legacy engram. Now I just need a Jade Rabbit to drop, and collection is complete, in time for new stuff to be added in a couple weeks.

darknil

I'm here reading about ELO, and I went to check mine and found out that since I played very little Trials in the last 2 months, I'm now sitting at 894.

So, since I'm a Y2 Mercury Virgin (I went there thanks to Drizz before TTK), any pro players wanting to take advantage of that low ELO? I'll be available all day I think.

It's funny being at the reef seeing people just standing around brother Vance waiting for trials haha

Please be a good map this week, please.

Top Bottom