• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

MrS

Banned
I'm
kind of
excited for the April Update. Is it everything I wanted? Nowhere close. But I love this game and am glad to have something to do.
YOU KNOW MADDEN IS SOOOOO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE BRUH

April update info disappointed me. I uninstalled it all in January and the update is insufficient to warrant a reinstall in my opinion.

ocean

Banned
Re: April update.

This game is pretty big. There's a ton of stuff to do, a lot of really cool weapons and armor and abilities and cosmetics. Unforgettable fragments of "that was intense" moments like shooting for Mercury or Flawless Raider. Obtuse and hidden but super interesting lore. Top tier art direction - maps are just beautiful. Pretty consistent performance - it very very very rarely drops from 30 FPS. Controls are tight and movement / shooting mechanics are perhaps unparalleled in the industry.

It also has a player base which wants to play more and more of the game no matter how much stuff is added. This is a blessing and a curse - it means the content clicks with people and they want more of it. But it also means the disappointment of "that's it?" Has not waned since the game came out.

We are getting new gear, new cosmetics, new activities, even new geometry (maybe? Strike will probably have at least a new room). For free. Just because.

Is it on par with a paid expansion? No...but it's free. At any rate, it's just a cool thing to do a few times. The larger issue at hand is this:

You probably have some game you've played a ton over a long period of time. Halo, Call of Duty, maybe Goldeneye back in the day. Smash Bros. You name it. Whenever there's a game you've played for a long time it's usually cause you just like it and have fun with it. Then eventually you feel you're done and move on.

This game shouldn't be different but the public has an expectation of infinite content. And then instead of, once feeling done, just leaving the game (as admittedly many do), some others (of whom there are many and I can't understand why) keep playing despite indicating boredom at the available content.

It's like "let me keep playing this thing I'm bored with and complain about it online. Oh there's new stuff coming? Fuck it not interested it sucks. I'm done with everything and the new free stuff isn't substantial but I'll keep playing anyways". Huh?

GGs Drizz and Igor.

Mostly fun times of Trials which is what it's about.

Congrats to Igor on the Scarab. I want it but I'm fine doing just a few games here and there to try to get it. Either way, as long as we're all having fun I'm fine with anything Trials related.

Time for a run on XBOX now maybe with my nephew and his buddy.

What's a good Party Crasher roll these days?

I just got Final Round but nothing else seems good. I'm guessing anything with range boost but I only have Linear Compensator, Grenadier, High Caliber Rounds/Oiled Frame/Hand-Laid Stock to go with Final Round.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I've been switching back and forth on warlock build.

Leave on voidfang to start round, switch to light to nemesis build. Switch back before start of next round, etc. Been working wonders. Get grenades at start of every round and get to fast revive.

What's a good Party Crasher roll these days?

I just got Final Round but nothing else seems good. I'm guessing anything with range boost but I only have Linear Compensator, Grenadier, High Caliber Rounds/Oiled Frame/Hand-Laid Stock to go with Final Round.

Aggressive ballistics and rifled/reinforced barrel are pretty much all you need for it to be a good roll.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
How garbage are you that you have to resort to using that glitchy spot?

dfdfdf.gif

edrerer.gif

It's finally happened!

Nice feetie, i'm officially changing to storm caller. Pulsewave and Thunderstrike are too good, storm grenades are not bad for area denial either

I've bought another LBN and set of Claws and rolled them to Int/Str so I can go T5 In/Str for trials/normal

ReaperXL7

So I decided to finally jump back into Destiny after taking a pretty long break after I completed the Vault of glass when it was still new. Just out of curiosity what's the best way to find some people on PS4 to play with?

I'm just about to hit 40 and then I'm going to start hunting for gear, think I'm going to give The prison of elders a shot as I have a key for that I got from a mission for it and it seems like I can matchmake that but I know I'm going to want to run raids and obviously there is no easy option of finding groups in game to do that kind of content. I understand the thought process behind why Bungie did that stuff the way they did but coming from major MMOS that have party/group finder features, or straight up match making for pretty much everything like FFXIV is still a bummer. I love the game though, I never had any issues with the gameplay or style of Destiny (Outside of the fact that I really dislike how mundane the weapons are for a far future sci fi game) and it feels good to come back to it as I think the Taken King is quite good so far.

maomaoIYP

Nice feetie, i'm officially changing to storm caller. Pulsewave and Thunderstrike are too good, storm grenades are not bad for area denial either

I've bought another LBN and set of Claws and rolled them to Int/Str so I can go T5 In/Str for trials/normal
Nice! I should try this too. My sunsinger is worthless.
edit: My LBN rolls with only INT, so I can use it for both T5 Int/Dis sunsinger and T5 Int/Str stormcaller. My claws has only Str, so it's good for both Int/Str and Dis/Str builds.
Living the Warlock dream. I'll be up for Trials in a bit.

I'm on, just ping me if I'm playing MGS V.

Trials with randos from LFG on xb1. No Mercy, up 4-0 on Final boss, and they chain supers and come back 4-4. Final round, I said let's sneak around far left side and we did, I popped blade and I bated both nightstalker tethers. I killed 1 as the 2nd tether got me, and I helped kill and 2nd as the tether finished me. 2v1 and they finish the final guy off as he was getting a rez. Mercury!! Rando #2 didn't have a Doctrine yet, gets it at Mercury with CB. All is well.

Broke the 1600 ELO barrier on both xb1 and ps4 trials. 100 away from that sweet Diamond. First time playing Frontier for Trials for me. Map is ok as long as nobody goes on top of the bridge. When you face people that really know how to utilize that spot it's so crazy because they have view of everything outside. Bungie really needs to add an invis wall up there, like really.

Now, time for some zzzzzs finally. I'm sweatied out.

Final Boss almost losing another up 4-0 HYPE

7pkcZXy.png

That Bryan guy was insane with some of his snipes on me from the craziest angles > (where from my POV he sniped me through stuff so he must have just got me at the very edge of objects)

Trakan

Re: April update.

This game is pretty big. There's a ton of stuff to do, a lot of really cool weapons and armor and abilities and cosmetics. Unforgettable fragments of "that was intense" moments like shooting for Mercury or Flawless Raider. Obtuse and hidden but super interesting lore. Top tier art direction - maps are just beautiful. Pretty consistent performance - it very very very rarely drops from 30 FPS. Controls are tight and movement / shooting mechanics are perhaps unparalleled in the industry.

It also has a player base which wants to play more and more of the game no matter how much stuff is added. This is a blessing and a curse - it means the content clicks with people and they want more of it. But it also means the disappointment of "that's it?" Has not waned since the game came out.

We are getting new gear, new cosmetics, new activities, even new geometry (maybe? Strike will probably have at least a new room). For free. Just because.

Is it on par with a paid expansion? No...but it's free. At any rate, it's just a cool thing to do a few times. The larger issue at hand is this:

You probably have some game you've played a ton over a long period of time. Halo, Call of Duty, maybe Goldeneye back in the day. Smash Bros. You name it. Whenever there's a game you've played for a long time it's usually cause you just like it and have fun with it. Then eventually you feel you're done and move on.

This game shouldn't be different but the public has an expectation of infinite content. And then instead of, once feeling done, just leaving the game (as admittedly many do), some others (of whom there are many and I can't understand why) keep playing despite indicating boredom at the available content.

It's like "let me keep playing this thing I'm bored with and complain about it online. Oh there's new stuff coming? Fuck it not interested it sucks. I'm done with everything and the new free stuff isn't substantial but I'll keep playing anyways". Huh?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198844545&postcount=2876

GAF. If we're playing more private matches today I'd love to jump into mayhem with 6 gunslingers wearing Ahamkara spines first. I did it by myself and got up to 13 tripmine kills per game. I reckon Feetie and Robinson will join me for some games so that makes 3 already. It will be glorious.

ocean

Banned
Finally got started on The Witcher.

Goddamn I felt robbed with DA:I (2/10 game for me, total garbage) but playing this just drives it home. DA was so amazingly and totally horrible - this is what that game should have been. Side quests are meaningful, story is gripping, no fetch bullshitty design... I might be in love with this game and I'm just getting N started! (Just reached Velen)

the_id

GAF. If we're playing more private matches today I'd love to jump into mayhem with 6 gunslingers wearing Ahamkara spines first. I did it by myself and got up to 13 tripmine kills per game. I reckon Feetie and Robinson will join me for some games so that makes 3 already. It will be glorious.

That sounds fun. I'll see if Merhmantrout is still keen on getting a GAF v GAF going today. Timing this is the tricky part.

ocean

Banned
Interesting take! Some people play this like an MMO or a loot game which is valid I guess. But doing so means you will inevitably 100% of the time be disappointed or frustrated by the game.

I think the only way you can still be here a year and a half later is a) despite the fact that this game isn't what you wish it was and constantly getting frustrated at it or b) just play it like a shooter and enjoy the game like you do a CoD or whatever.

No matter how great PvE content is - it can be the most astonishingly amazing encounter ever - it's only genuinely thrilling the first few times. After that it may still be fun from a social PoV - you enjoy the banter with buddies. But eventually people will get sick of it because PvE content is inevitably stale quickly after release. If you play it like a shooter and just log on for Crucible you're in the Halo/CoD/whatever mindset that doesn't need new stuff to keep playing - what's there is fun, period (fuck the lag tho)

It's a matter of expectations and what you feel the game is basically.

Trakan

Interesting take! Some people play this like an MMO or a loot game which is valid I guess. But doing so means you will inevitably 100% of the time be disappointed or frustrated by the game.

I think the only way you can still be here a year and a half later is a) despite the fact that this game isn't what you wish it was and constantly getting frustrated at it or b) just play it like a shooter and enjoy the game like you do a CoD or whatever.

No matter how great PvE content is - it can be the most astonishingly amazing encounter ever - it's only genuinely thrilling the first few times. After that it may still be fun from a social PoV - you enjoy the banter with buddies. But eventually people will get sick of it because PvE content is inevitably stale quickly after release. If you play it like a shooter and just log on for Crucible you're in the Halo/CoD/whatever mindset that doesn't need new stuff to keep playing - what's there is fun, period (fuck the lag tho)

Yeah. I was playing wait and see with Y2. The rumors were that we'd get free content to make up for the lack of the smaller DLC like TDB and HoW. That's not happening and Y2 has been complete shit. At least in Y1 for both PVE and PVP I liked a lot of the mechanics far better. If there's going to be these super long stretches of just dead game for a year then I don't know how long people will stick around.

T-0800

Yep. I play primarily 3v3 and everything else is just a bonus.

I've never understood people complaining that there is nothing to do after logging 600 plus hours. Yes Bungie may have said this and that but so what. PR for Destiny is supposed to be truth but every other game it's just PR?

X-Frame

I love how "Increased Crucible Reputation gains" boosts my Crucible rep for wins from 30 to 32.

I'd need to win 15 games for that boost to just give me 1 games worth of reputation.

So after Drizz helped me visit Mercury last weekend I'm hoping to give back to Xbox One DGAF by assembling a Flawless Raider run of normal Crota's End. I'm looking to get started at 6:00pm EST. Here is a link to the group on the100.

https://www.the100.io/gaming_sessions/575233

I'm looking for people on Xbox One who have experience in Crota's End and we need a confident sword bearer. Please let me know if you're willing to help.

My GamerTag is ProgenitorRyan. Xbox DGAF unite!

phen0m24

So after Drizz helped me visit Mercury last weekend I'm hoping to give back to Xbox One DGAF by assembling a Flawless Raider run of normal Crota's End. I'm looking to get started at 6:00pm EST. Here is a link to the group on the100.

I'm looking for people on Xbox One who have experience in Crota's End and we need a confident sword bearer. Please let me know if you're willing to help.

So psyched you got it done dude!

I love how "Increased Crucible Reputation gains" boosts my Crucible rep for wins from 30 to 32.

I'd need to win 15 games for that boost to just give me 1 games worth of reputation.

This game is known to be stingy.

No kidding! But on a cosmetic item with no rerolling or transmog, I'm okay with the benefits being trivial. If it was a substantive bonus (like +25%) then I'd be forced into using the Crucinle Rep class items even when I have a Vanguard one that looks much better.

So yeah, lots of issues there.

This whole post is why DGAF is a fantastic community! Well done Drizz & ToyMachine!

Trakan

I've never understood people complaining that there is nothing to do after logging 600 plus hours. Yes Bungie may have said this and that but so what. PR for Destiny is supposed to be truth but every other game it's just PR?

In Y1, we had both TDB and HoW by the following May after launch. This year, we have nothing all the way until April, with a lackluster update.

Is anyone doing any Crucible? I need to get 10 wins for this New Monarchy cloak.

Top Bottom