• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Fuck! I was almost done replying a long ass post to Devil on my phone, scrolling up and down back and forth, and accidentally refreshed it since I'm using Chrome and it fucking lost it all.

I'll have to rewrite it again in a bit. Uecbiwbxiwxhiqbxqbid

WeTeHa

You are a good dude. Glad you're so active in this community now.

Haha, thanks. DGaf is by far my favorite community of all the communities I've been a part of. It's probably the main reason I'm still playing a lot of destiny. So many nice people here.

I'm in the same boat. I've gotten addicted to destiny over the last while but I haven't had a chance to try the raids yet. If there's a beginner-friendly run going on I'd love to join.
So...
I've been playing Destiny for about 6 months and I'm addicted. My goal is to collect all the trophies in the PS4 version.

So far I have not been able to participate in any Raid. As always, GAF is here to help, with the Weekly Newbie Raids. I can only play on Sundays and these are held on Sundays every 4 weeks.

Do you guys know when it's the next Sunday that will have Newbie Raids so I can join?

THANK YOU! :)
Hawkian, who is running the newbie raids, currently doesn't have time to run them. Not sure when he'll be back. Maybe we can organize a newbie raid next weekend/in 2 weeks (because of iron banner) to get a couple of people through a NM KF raid.

Okay, let me try to answer your questions...
Hi Destiny-GAF!

I've been away since vanilla and tried to get back in just yesterday with the complete TTK package. And I'm a little confused. I knew about the light level change etc, but most of the other stuff is new to me, while I also forgot a lot from vanilla. Also note that I actually am one of those who played like 75% versus MP and 25% all the rest.

I'm not playing the english version of the game so bare with me when I use different terms, I'll try to make myself clear.

1. Sooo. Where are the dailies again? Those on the bottom-left? Because I have one "Search" active which requires to do a Crucible (?, versus MP) daily and I did a few games from the bottom-left playlist and I got no further with that Search. Can't find anything else. I win those legendary marks through the dailies only, right?

We have daily crucible and daily story. For both you get awarded legendary marks for the first completion every day per account. Then you have Weekly crucible and weekly heroic strikes. Both give you legendary marks x3 every week per account. Though I think weekly crucible requires wins, while daily only requires participation. The weekly heroic strikes also give you a guaranteed legendary engram per character per week. The nightfall gives rewards (not legendary marks) for every character for the first completion.
From memory, I think the order is Weekly Crucible/Daily Crucible/Daily story/Weekly Heroic/Nightfall

2. Also, in what order should I be doing all those DLC missions? Are they easily found through the galaxy map? I think there was one DLC mission on some planet which wasn't highlighted at all, looked as if I had done it already, which I haven't. Can I do most of them alone (except strikes etc which pair me up with others automatically) at Level 30 / Light ~145?

You will get to most missions when you follow the questlines. You can do all story missions solo. They're all pretty easy, except for Fear's embrace. Just look at the required level, that is pretty much the right order. You will probably hit level 40 by the time you have completed all the story missions.

3. My year 1 gear seems to be worthless now, is it so? What shall I do with that stuff? I think I saw some exotic weapon at a vendor which had like double the damage my weapon (fully upgraded) of the same kind had... I don't get it. I loved my Ice Breaker, should I go and scrap it for parts if I get the chance to get the year 2 Ice Breaker for example?

You can keep some of your Y1 stuff. Ice breaker, for example, is great for trials with the special ammo change. Ghorn is still great for year 1 content. For year 2 content you want to use year 2 stuff (indicated by the taken king symbol on the item icon). If you have year 1 exotics that have a Y2 version, you can buy the Y2 version at the blueprint kiosk for legendary marks.

4. There also seem to be a lot new resource items I won't list now.. What are the most important ones, what has changed?

Uuuuh, didn't play Y1 destiny, so I don't know what has changed. All I know is you can exchange the Y1 raid materials at the speaker for glimmer/motes.

5. The Addon would added new subclasses, yeah? When and how will I get access to them?

You get the subclasses while doing the taken king story line. It's a mission you pick from the "worldmap". You get a quest for it, it's unmissable.

6. Any tips on what weapons to buy / save for? I don't know which ones are popular at the moment. Especially for versus, but also for strikes and missions (I don't do raids).

The Hung Jury SR4, which can be bought from the dead orbit guy at rank 3 for legendary marks is a great (pve) weapon. You get a great sniper (pve & pvp) from the quest "Taken War: Earth" (1000 yard stare) and you get a great shotgun from some other quest (conspiracy theory D). Black spindle is great for the raid. Doctrine of Passing is great for pvp. KF Raid HMG is a great HMG.

For story missions/strikes you can pretty much use anything you want. I enjoy using hard light, red death, etc. For pvp, you can use last word, mida, doctrine, gunsmith weapons, etc.

7. I'm sure I forgot something, so feel free to tell me what else I should know.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer =)

I hope this helps.

Hi Destiny-GAF!

I've been away since vanilla and tried to get back in just yesterday with the complete TTK package. And I'm a little confused. I knew about the light level change etc, but most of the other stuff is new to me, while I also forgot a lot from vanilla. Also note that I actually am one of those who played like 75% versus MP and 25% all the rest.

I'm not playing the english version of the game so bare with me when I use different terms, I'll try to make myself clear.

1. Sooo. Where are the dailies again? Those on the bottom-left? Because I have one "Search" active which requires to do a Crucible (?, versus MP) daily and I did a few games from the bottom-left playlist and I got no further with that Search. Can't find anything else. I win those legendary marks through the dailies only, right?

2. Also, in what order should I be doing all those DLC missions? Are they easily found through the galaxy map? I think there was one DLC mission on some planet which wasn't highlighted at all, looked as if I had done it already, which I haven't. Can I do most of them alone (except strikes etc which pair me up with others automatically) at Level 30 / Light ~145?

3. My year 1 gear seems to be worthless now, is it so? What shall I do with that stuff? I think I saw some exotic weapon at a vendor which had like double the damage my weapon (fully upgraded) of the same kind had... I don't get it. I loved my Ice Breaker, should I go and scrap it for parts if I get the chance to get the year 2 Ice Breaker for example?

4. There also seem to be a lot new resource items I won't list now.. What are the most important ones, what has changed?

5. The Addon would added new subclasses, yeah? When and how will I get access to them?

6. Any tips on what weapons to buy / save for? I don't know which ones are popular at the moment. Especially for versus, but also for strikes and missions (I don't do raids).

7. I'm sure I forgot something, so feel free to tell me what else I should know.

Let's see...
1. Dailies are in the bottom left of the director, but whatever crucible quest you are doing may need one of the other crucible game types. You can find those on the red icon on the director, upper right part of the screen. Legendary marks come from dailies, some bounties, some quests, and dismantling gear.

2. You can do dlc stuff in any order you can survive, but generally, the release order should steer you the right way. Dark Below, then House of Wolves, then Taken King.

3. Save your ice breaker, there is no year two version, and it is currently invaluable for giving yourself special ammo in the crucible / trials. In general though, most year one stuff isn't going to be too useful, outside light normalized crucible. Save anything that doesn't have a year two version, or is an elemental primary, or just has sentimental value, since a lot of it no longer drops. (Hell, save it all if you've got vault space, until you can figure out what matters to you yourself, once you are familiar with the new game)

4. Hang onto everything. Hoarding is and always will be the way to go...

5. There should be new subclass quests at the vanguard, to intro you and unlock them.

6. Hung Jury at the dead orbit vendor is one of the most solid pve guns, and is easy to get.

Laffer

Hawkian, who is running the newbie raids, currently doesn't have time to run them. Not sure when he'll be back. Maybe we can organize a newbie raid next weekend/in 2 weeks (because of iron banner) to get a couple of people through a NM KF raid.

That would be great! Count me in! :) :) :)

Matt_C

Thanks to WeTeHa he answered most of your questions but I am a year one player so I can answer some of the other questions.

Snipped

Yes, the armor materials that you dismantle older armor is universal to infuse armor pieces. The older armor materials can be used to advance your favorite crucible faction. Motes of light can be used to upgrade your crucible faction or level up weapons and armor. Also you can buy weapon parts and convert Year 1 raid parts into other year 1 raid parts to level up your favorite Y1 raid weapons. Etheric Light can be used to level up the Queens Wrath faction. Also, exotic shards cost more Strange coins since Xûr does not sell Exotic Shards but you can either buy the Exotic items for 13 Strange Coins or gamble by using Three of Coins in the start of the crucible match or PvE Boss fight for the chance of an Exotic Engram. The Vanguard marks can be used to infuse items, buy from the vendors. Wormspore and Hadium Flakes are the new matierials to obtain in the Dreadnaught. Wormspore is used to upgrade Year 2 armor or advance faction and Hadium Flakes are used to forge a certain weapon when you beat a certain boss or moldering shards (you need 20 of them) to get extra loot in the end of the Kingsfall raid. If you have Vanguard and Crucible Marks, you can use those to level up the Crucible or Vanguard factions faster in any character.
If you have an weapon item that you cannot use and turn in to the Gunsmith, it is a pathway for a Legendary Weapon.

Calcified fragments are items you collect in the Dreadnaught, like ghosts, but you need at least 45 of them for a really cool raid weapon.

There is a refer a friend program where you can get exclusive gear, Sparrow, shader, emotes, and emblem.

Also when doing the questlines of missions you accomplished, some of the Legendary Weapons have a lower level requirement so you can level them up and put them in a new character (if you have open slots) and be pretty powerful until you be level 40.

Some Daily Heroics are gateways for exotic weapons. Look out for "Lost to Light" and "Paradox", remind of yourself of familiar strike and raid in those locations. Do not forget to bring a powerful fireteam since getting the questlines for the exotic weapons is a challenge.

Once you reach 260 light, grind the level 40 Vanguard Strikes and Court of Oryx for engrams to bring you to a higher light.

The Taken Champions are the new Wolves and they drop you a Rune to redeem in the Court of Oryx. The only patrol without taken champions is the Moon and the Dreadnaught.

Hope this helps.

Drizz are you around to finish off grave's and john's cards? I got a couple hours right now but later i'll be busy with family stuff etc.

Devil

Thanks for all the answers <3
Will read through them and will get back to you if there is anything which isn't clear to me yet.

X-Frame

What do you all think is the bare minimum Light needed for Normal King's Fall? Bare minimum in the sense that the person won't have a frustrating time.

Would you say 285 is the minimum to start? Assuming they equip the drops they get in the raid then I'm thinking low 290's by the time they get to Oryx which is fine if everyone else is 300+ anyway.

I've been playing... Another game.. Lately but I haven't been able to get into if. The more I play, the more I want to just go back into Destiny. All I did was just walk around and do some daily bounties. I had so much more fun than I did with.. The other game..

If anyone is planning on running running some raids or some IB this week,i'd be down!

chur

What do you all think is the bare minimum Light needed for Normal King's Fall? Bare minimum in the sense that the person won't have a frustrating time.

Would you say 285 is the minimum to start? Assuming they equip the drops they get in the raid then I'm thinking low 290's by the time they get to Oryx which is fine if everyone else is 300+ anyway.
280 should be fine for everything except Oryx. Oryx is completely doable at 280 but they'll be squishy and they might get a tad frustrated about it. Depends on the player really.

280 should be fine till daughters, don't expect to level up with drops though - there is no guaranteed drop apart from Oryx and Challenge mode chest.

290 should be comfortable for Oryx.

Has anyone spoke to TheTylerDurden lately?

Cek6BWtXIAEepk-.jpg

Namikaze1

I've been playing... Another game.. Lately but I haven't been able to get into if. The more I play, the more I want to just go back into Destiny. All I did was just walk around and do some daily bounties. I had so much more fun than I did with.. The other game..

If anyone is planning on running running some raids or some IB this week,i'd be down!
It's okay to say the Division. :p

But this here:
The more I play, the more I want to just go back into Destiny

yeah, this is what I've been feeling lately. Though I could also say it's boredom due to lack of endgame content. Destiny had the VoG unlocked after two weeks. Don't know when Massive will add the Incursions to the game next month but by the time they do so, I'll have moved on to Dark Souls and back to Destiny for the new quest lines.

Yo folks, sorry I haven't been around today. Probably won't be available until ~9 est but if people are still looking for Trials help later tonight I could run a few cards.

Nicodemic

Would like to get some opinions on the following: would a team of 2 really good players be able to get to mercury? Or is this next to impossible?

What I'm getting at is even if a 3rd player is getting "carried" (let's say he is a very average player), his presence is still required for the team to win because 2 players only would probably not make it on their own (at least to mercury).

Am I wrong? What do you guys think?

NeOak

Yo folks, sorry I haven't been around today. Probably won't be available until ~9 est but if people are still looking for Trials help later tonight I could run a few cards.
Thanks for the best wishes Drizz.

I'd love a card, but I'm working on homework and reports :(

I'd be up for a run later if you are up to it. However, only if no one else is in line, since I've been there before. I just want to get a bit better. (Knowing me, I will probably get another inward lamp...)

Would like to get some opinions on the following: would a team of 2 really good players be able to get to mercury? Or is this next to impossible?

What I'm getting at is even if a 3rd player is getting "carried" (let's say he is a very average player), his presence is still required for the team to win because 2 players only would probably not make it on their own (at least to mercury).

Am I wrong? What do you guys think?

Of course they can. Thats why there's such a "scene" around carrying people for flawless trials. If you are at god level like krafty you can even carry TWO horrible players at once (not just average, he has carried some awful players).

Of course they can. Thats why there's such a "scene" around carrying people for flawless trials. If you are at god level like krafty you can even carry TWO horrible players at once (not just average, he has carried some awful players).

I'd like to try and finish that card tonight if possible. It's just one win and we have the mercy in tact still. I will be around in about 2ish hours maybe?

yeah, this is what I've been feeling lately. Though I could also say it's boredom due to lack of endgame content. Destiny had the VoG unlocked after two weeks. Don't know when Massive will add the Incursions to the game next month but by the time they do so, I'll have moved on to Dark Souls and back to Destiny for the new quest lines.

That's true. Dark Souls 3 and Destiny are going to take up alot of my gaming time after April 12th. Maybe I should just finish Division before all that.

But IB being Control will probably be a good appetizer for the April update.

Top Bottom