• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

Radar is garbage, sorry. Proximity is a joke as it's almost never accurate. You have virtually no idea of how close or far away they are. I've been engaging people directly in front of me (per the radar) only to be killed from behind, or the side. Just how much distance did that person cover in like 5 seconds (because they weren't even on the radar). Why does it go away when we go into iron sights? Who the fuck knows that's why.

Class imbalances comes down to supers... mostly. Though hunters get the shaft on just about everything (supers, melee, grenades).

Blade dancer is a joke. You have to time it almost perfectly because you while you have a shield you can be easily dropped by a shotgun, titan slam, nova bomb or another hunter's golden gun. With golden gun you have 3 fucking shots and no additional armor, plus that like 3+ second activation (which we can be killed during) is unnecessary.

Also, just while I'm thinking about it, they need to add some more shit poppin up right in the middle of my screen when I'm trying to aim and shoot people. I can't see what's going on half the time thanks to that and the giant gun models.

I have none of those radar problems at all. Radar is meant to show relative location, not exact location. Probably because people often complain about pinpoint radar and wish it could be turned off so they can sneak up on people. It goes away when you iron sight to apply some penalty to doing that (which can be erased via armor perks). Come on man what kind of questions are those holy shit

You are also the only person ever to complain about blade dancers being underpowered

Steroyd

are you fucking kidding me? i've had 4 exotic bounties so far, ALL of them from the same pool of weapons, thorn/juju/invective

I had to have 7, fucking seven exotic bounty chances before I got a pool of different weapons to choose from, and even then my 8th exotic bounty choices gave me the same 3 choices I had the last 6 times, it's a joke.

Rtas

Bungie seriously need to keep an eye on deliberate afkers in pvp. Just had a guy come in start of the match and sit at the back moving side to side the whole match just to get the rewards at the end

colinp

Banned
Anyone own a Suros Regime and have a Legendary Rifle they think is better?

I do. It's the Vanquish from New Monarchy. Excellent stability and range, lightning fast reload, 42 shot clip and the ability to carry more ammo for the Rifle.

I really like my Suros Regime, don't get me wrong, I'm just really annoyed at the slow firing in zoom and moderate ammo cache :)

How is your clip 42?? Did you receive as a reward or buy from the vendor?

Also, please please please sell rare pulse rifles weapon vendor!!! My exotic bounty is getting impatient!!!

Ken

Bungie seriously need to keep an eye on deliberate afkers in pvp. Just had a guy come in start of the match and sit at the back moving side to side the whole match just to get the rewards at the end

Maybe they should just redo the rewards system.

stuckinsecond

Neo Member
Ugh... PvP can be so frustrating sometimes. Some days it works as it should. Unload a clip in a guy, he drops dead, I live to tea bag his corpse.

Others, I'll a unload a shotgun in his face, follow up with a fist sandwich only to have the cheeky bugger teleport behind my back and deliver return sandwich with results in my demise.

Straight up, every once in awhile I'll watch a bloke tip toe through combusted grenades, raining fire on my stupid ass, chewed up thinking he was gone for all money.

This game breaking lag. I feel like I'm being punished for having a reasonable connection. Reality is, I prolly just need to git gud ;)

Marvel

could never
Thank you based Rahool

10470775_10152858944595087_2296593926918081314_o.jpg

T'was from a Legendary Engram that I got from the postmaster after getting to Cryptarch Level 41.

ibcLKhikcoRGsh.gif

also, the radar is more about map knowledge and positioning than it is about exact position of the enemy. It tells you they are near and lets you prepare for battle. If you're in a bad position or don't know the paths the enemy can approach you from, its effectiveness decreases. it's inherently less effective on maps with too many unpredictable routes.

Marvel

could never
I might hit Vanguard rank 2 with my Hunter alt sometime later on tonight which means I can buy some Legendary gear... but I still think it's mooseshit it resets with each toon though.

And your cryptarch rank.

bargeparty

takes a while to edit my point.

was gonna save these clips for some dumb montage or something but i'll throw this up for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAFf-HqNfx0

hunters are almost too good.

Yes "dumb montage" indeed.

You'd be stupid to assume that my posts don't leave room for the "good player is good at game" scenarios.

Besides nothing you did was really hunter specific aside from your knife kills. You show super use once and the rest is Vex Mytho/Sniper kills.

Did Thorn and Juju receive their buffs yet?

I just got the Thorn upgrade where it leeches health off enemies when I hit them and it just turned into a god-tier weapon in PVP for me. I'm picking off auto rifle users at medium range and even when they do get the jump on me I can usually get enough rounds into them and duck out so that the remaining portion of their health gets leeched while I live to fight another day and see that 100+ show up on screen. Great weapon, but I'm wondering what they plan to buff, unless they've already done it.

Well that was interesting. I ran both my friends through Nightfall tonight(I already did it Tuesday) one was level 27, the other 25. Both got Gallajorn as a drop. I went home empty handed.

Yes "dumb montage" indeed.

You'd be stupid to assume that my posts don't leave room for the "good player is good at game" scenarios.

Besides nothing you did was really hunter specific aside from your knife kills. You show super use once and the rest is Vex Mytho/Sniper kills.

my intention was to show how i used the radar to line up my hunter specific abilities, of which the throwing knife is a big part. i know where the enemy is because i know where i am on the map relative to them. it's only "garbage" if you expect it to tell you everything.

i didn't want to spam the thread with clips i've already posted, but i have more clips with golden guns here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKHYd6w_4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMGULZ11aWE

again, the radar AND knowledge of the map relative to my position are how i know when to activate it. if you're activating it in front of enemies, you're going to get gunned down. Those "unnecessary 3+ seconds" are what give such a powerful ability a risk vs reward. The same thing goes for Bladedancer, although you have more of a cushion because the game almost literally aims it for you.

it ultimately comes down to how you play. i will say that the hunter demands awareness and good positioning, especially if you're a bladedancer.

Hurley

Finally hit 30. Took a few weeks to get some gear but I cleared the Raid on hard twice and got a helm from each of them lol. No Mythoclast though :(

SnakeEyez

Anybody feel as if the fusion rifles range is a little too good? (At least legendary/exotics).I've been to be one shot killed from long range for a weapon that is supposed to be mid/close

No good deed goes unpunished with RNG.

I wish you still got tiger strike level rewards for repeating weekly heroic strike and nightfall multiple times. It seems stupid not to get anything after doing it once. All this happy horse shit from Bungie how it is all about being social and getting teams together to share in the becoming of Legend, blah, blah, blah, yet they seem to design their game around explicitly making it as anti-social and arbitrary as possible. I enjoy helping my friends, because I want them to level up, but it would be nice to throw me a few bones while I am taking the time to run this "legend grade" content multiple times a week.

I would love to be a fly on the wall over at their offices. It must be a complete shit show. They have surpassed Polyphony Digital in baffling stupid decisions and poor community management. I never thought I would see that bar raised.

Straid

I was in the gorgon labirynth and when i was reaching the right chest, a gorgon saw and killed me, now the gate before the chest is closed. Is there any alternative route to get that chest or is lost until the next raid?

Anyone play destiny on the vita via remote play? I may pick one up anyway but it would be nice to know how good it plays.

I occasionally do... Nothing to write home about, but it works well enough for dailies and patrols... would not try it on the raid

Anyone up for 28 weekly? Need 1 more - ps4 elemental_sin

bargeparty

my intention was to show how i used the radar to line up my hunter specific abilities, of which the throwing knife is a big part. i know where the enemy is because i know where i am on the map relative to them. it's only "garbage" if you expect it to tell you everything.

i didn't want to spam the thread with clips i've already posted, but i have more clips with golden guns here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKHYd6w_4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMGULZ11aWE

if you're activating it in front of enemies, you're going to get gunned down. That's the risk/reward for such a powerful ability. The same thing goes for Bladedancer, although you have more of a cushion because the game almost literally aims it for you.

"As-is" it's a vague direction where they are with no real sense of proximity. Ooh it flashes when they're close...er. They could've given it mulitple layers, more like a dart board design or something.

You say many things that are common knowledge to people who pvp a lot, like general map knowledge(common areas, choke points, etc).

But just because you're good at playing something doesn't mean there are not problems.

Also risk/reward? Please. Where's the risk for the titan that goes hulk on a control point, or the warlock nuking you from orbit?

Gordon

Okay, so can someone enlighten me? I still can't figure out how to gear myself for the Crucible. I just finished the missive for Invective, so that's progress, but as far as my primary goes, I have a blue I just found and a legendary that's nearly fully levelled. Is there a point to levelling up the blue?
Is impact valuable or is the base damage levelled along with the attack rating?

Have the gear to get to mid-29 on my Warlock, but I actually need to grind for Hadronic Essence from level 27. :/

If only I could use some of my ~900 plasteel plating.

Tekku

Okay, so can someone enlighten me? I still can't figure out how to gear myself for the Crucible. I just finished the missive for Invective, so that's progress, but as far as my primary goes, I have a blue I just found and a legendary that's nearly fully levelled. Is there a point to levelling up the blue?
Is impact valuable or is the base damage levelled along with the attack rating?

No, there's no real point. Impact is the only damage stat that matters in Crucible. And while A Little Voice has a pretty nice impact stat it underperforms in every other regard.

If you want to be serious with handcannons you should look for these stats:

1. Range - Enables you to deliver headshots at long ranges. VERY important with handcannons unless they have a high RoF and damage combo (like The Last Word).
2. Stability - Makes you fire more accurate shots in a quick succession. It doesn't matter if the revolver has a high rate of fire if it's not stable enough.
3. Reload speed - It will save you in many situations, especially if you have a small magazine size. Can be altered with certain equipment modifiers.
4. Magazine - 8 or more bullets are required. It takes at least 4 bullets to bring someone down and 3 if your aim is good. The best handcannons in the game have a 10+ magazine.

Also look for the gun specific modifiers. They can be random if you find the gun out in the world but they are fixed if you buy it from a vendor. The Devil You Know and Lord High Fixer both have very good modifiers when bought from their vendors.

As is it's a vague direction where they are with no real sense of proximity. Ooh it flashes when they're close...er. They could've given it mulitple layers, more like a dart board design or something. You say many things that are common knowledge to people who pvp a lot, like general map knowledge(common areas, choke points, etc).

Yes, it's supposed to be vague. Bungie used an exact location radar in their Halo games and it was terrible. It promoted camping because players would crouch around the entire map to stay off the radar, as well as standoff gameplay because players couldn't aggressively push. Many competitive players say Halo plays better without it.

Destiny's radar attempts to be a middle ground. It lets you know enemies are near, but its vagueness emphasizes positioning and map knowledge, which you only learn from playing a fair bunch.

It's entirely based on proximity, which can also tell you the elevation of an enemy. Its only drop-off in use is when an enemy is right behind you, but I'd still equate most of those scenarios to poor positioning (unless they blink behind you, an ability that I don't think belongs in shooters)

It's not perfect and I'm certain there are ways to make it more consistent; however, it's not "garbage" if you understand it. Someone also mentioned that there are armor and weapons that enable the radar while using the sights, so those will be helpful.

But just because you're good at playing something doesn't mean there are not problems.

Yes the game has its problems but I don't think radar is one of them, at least not to a significant degree. I also am not sure how Hunters are in any way "shafted" in the game's multiplayer. Many people would probably say the opposite given the versatility of their abilities and overwhelming popularity

cjp

Just cheesed Atheon solo on hard at level 28. Took about 5 attempts.
Feel a bit dirty.

Anyway, I bought the Warlock helm from Xur this weekend as I thought I'd never get the helm from hard raid.

What drops for me after Atheon takes a tumble? The helm and a sparrow.

So I go back to Xur this morning wondering if I should take the gamble on the chest engram so I can I have the raid helm and an exotic chest instead of choosing between the exotic helm and raid helm.

What does the chest engram decrypt into?
Heart of the Praxic Fire.

Praise be to RNGesus, the Lord of Light and the one true God. What a great morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom