• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
Thorn bounty requiring PvP Void kills is a bitch. I'm making progress but it's so so slow. Magnetic grenades forever man.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So I decided to give Destiny one more shot and went into Crucible with my TDYK with explosive rounds this time. Explosive rounds wrecks people, period. It staggers players and makes them miss their shots. I was averaging a K/D of ~2.5 each game for 8 games in a row.

I went up against a TLW player and won my encounters everytime. Looking around the internet, a reddit user also agrees with me that HCs with explosive rounds is pretty ridiculous in pvp. I wonder if this will be patched.

I was going to buy a machine gun with my marks but this makes me reconsider a bit.

VexyWexy

I actually used a shotgun in the Crucible for the first time since the patch (never really interested me before), and you have to get pretty fucking close to someone to kill them with it. The range on my Found Verdict is abysmal too and didn't have any upgrades, so it's not like people are getting kills from ridiculous ranges.

I feel like people won't stop complaining about shotguns until you can't one-shot someone at all.

I don't understand what the Shotgun complainers want... do they want to dance around firing ARs into eachothers torsos? Do they want every close quarters encounter to be a slap fight death trade?

I LOVE people's dependence on shotguns because I get to dump rounds into their face while they desperately sprint towards me from 20ft away.

Nodnol

What the f....

Two caterpillars doing the Daily, so I go off and do something else elsewhere. No problems.

Try the Daily again, and another caterpillar! Fuck sake.

I don't get why people keep saying this. This is a game where you want to get better and better loot and higher and higher levels. I see someone wandering around with better loot and a higher level and I want what they have. I don't think to myself "oh, phft, raid gear, I don't want that."

Every time I see that statement made in these threads I can't help but see just wilful ignorance of what kind of game this is. I'm not arguing one way or another that level 30 should be attainable only through raid gear, but this attitude and response towards people who question it should not be the final word in the argument.

I feel like the misplaced desire to be 30 is a result of people thinking the game is a straight loot game when it's not. It's not Diablo or Borderlands even if it drops loot in a similar manner. The actual design of having Raids and Gear acquisition through Rep and Marks is straight from MMORPG archetypes. The way everything is designed, Level 30 only affects ones ability to Raid at the very hardest difficulty. If people dislike the Raid or don't want to Raid, there's no reason for them to be level 30 as it doesn't affect anything else in the game.

Players wanting things just to have them doesn't necessitate that Bungie must make those things available to players in an alternate manner. I'd even argue that there's no point in making a "PvP" equivalent set that allows Level 30 unless they implement a PvP specific stat that has no effect on PvE.

Found Verdict has maybe longest reach out of all shotguns. It can OHK players in Crucible at laughable long ranges for being shotgun.

I always use shotgun in Crucible and I think they are a joke in a sense that they are way too effective. I still blame map design over CQB weapon class.

My Found Verdict with no upgrades doesn't have a better range than my Comedian nor my Invective (with no upgrades), so no. There is a decent range upgrade though, which might make it laughable. I used to use predominantly fusion rifles as my secondary, but now I've switched to sniper or shotgun. Depends on the map and how I feel.

PuMa

I don't understand what the Shotgun complainers want... do they want to dance around firing ARs into eachothers torsos? Do they want every close quarters encounter to be a slap fight death trade?

I LOVE people's dependence on shotguns because I get to dump rounds into their face while they desperately sprint towards me from 20ft away.

I feel the same way. You have to be so close to do any damage with the shotgun. I still love using it, but seriously, just back away from me if you don't want to get one-shot. Too many people just try blindly bull-rushing into areas.

I've rarely died to shotties. It's only if I'm in their faces. Fusion Rifles are my biggest gripe with PVP.

That really surprises me, because it's been the exact opposite for me. I rarely die to Fusions but die a lot to Shotguns.

I'm still trying to understand what their thinking for the nerfs was. I use my Invective almost exclusively in PVP, rip people apart with it will often get kills in the high 20's just using that gun. Shotguns don't feel any different to me at all, they still have too much range. I also use a Scout and while they are more viable than before Auto Rifles still rule PVP.

The only thing I've noticed after the patch was that I see way less Vex Mythoclasts melting faces with ease. I think I've seen one or two since the nerf.

VexyWexy said:
I LOVE people's dependence on shotguns because I get to dump rounds into their face while they desperately sprint towards me from 20ft away

Easy for you because you understand not to get close to a shotgun. 90% of the people I get matched against in PVP don't get that (including myself sometimes)

People in PVP get greedy -- they will shoot at you and if they don't kill you will almost always try to chase you down. And that is when they meet Invective. If you're smart with how you play, you can get close enough to people easily.

I do love that :lol. Especially when they slide too early and barely graze me. Fuckers.

Bizazedo

Completed hard raid last night. Got rocket launcher, which was cool. Then after Atheon died I got 2x Atheon's Epilogue and the Raid speeder, both of which I already have.
Yeah, but at least you saved the f'ng day? Eh? EH?!

Not kidding, you did.

Shotguns seem fine, now, in PvP.

Namikaze1

So last night, I gave my brother my Templar hard mode checkpoint to his Hunter. Wanting to see how his hunter plays like, I play for a bit. I decide to attempt doing the battle solo again but with his level 29 Hunter. It was a long hard fought battle but bitch went down to his blade dancer. Took roughly 55 minutes as I was extra careful and his damage output was reduce dueto being a level 29.

E92 M3

Thorn bounty requiring PvP Void kills is a bitch. I'm making progress but it's so so slow. Magnetic grenades forever man.

Try using a void fusion and LMG

Anyone got an Atheon hard mode checkpoint?

L6dGV3i.jpg

Tawpgun

The bubble was meant to block incoming fire and it's the safest way. It's not cheese and was designed that way. Yeah it's easy and boring but oh well. I'm not going to do it the harder way just because.

Well lets get one thing out of the way. We don't know how it was designed to play. We know that Atheon teleporting being random was the way it was designed. And that's being fixed.

The relic bubble, we don't know if the way it is was on purpose. And for the record I don't know either. It could very well be designed to block fire and be shot out of or it could be designed to block fire in and out.

I just made an observation that I don't think it makes sense that they allowed you to shoot out of the bubble, It just feels too safe and foolproof to me. But I could be wrong.

Ok, so you don't like this one and bulletproof tactic to kill him? That is fine, but what I don't get is why you would take piss into everyone cereal and take that tactic away from everyone just because you find it boring?

You should be able to form few viable tactics for each boss while restricting everyone to single "way it's intended" tactic is poor design and that makes for bad experience.
Now you can use "Let boss roam" -tactic if you choose to, but so you can use "All under bubble, one spot and nuke" -tactic.

Your relic suggestion would kill variety of tactics from Atheon.
This makes no sense.

You SHOULD be able to form a few viable tactics for bosses. For instance. For the Templar fight, one tactic is to block his teleports to get more DPS on him at a risk of being overun by minotaurs Or maybe just block every other one or play it safe and none at all. Another tactic is grouping together in order to use the relic cleanse for everyone when marked instead of trying to wipe out oracles. My group never does that but I heard it works. I've heard both tactics being done.

In Atheon, because of the way the relic bubble works right now there is only ONE best, viable tactic. Any other strategy is just purposely handicapping yourself for a challenge. It offers no risk/reward, speed for safety, any variety.

If the bubble didn't allow you to shoot out much more variety would come out of that fight. Player positions, does the relic guy distract boss with bubble or does he use the relic super. Where are players gonna be positioned to spread out atheons fire but still get clear shots on him.

blackflag

You gotta admit it's pretty underwhelming as it is. Hopefully the next raid will have an obstacle course or something. Something like the Indiana Jones maps in Halo Reach would be interesting.

Well that's just stupid.

Hopefully not. I don't want to play metal gear solid or super meat boy. I want to shoot at things.

Normal checkpoints needs to be accessed via Square... Hard checkpoints is directly... works for all members of the firesteam since he reached a checkpoint or died.

So you can enter in a firesteam, die and back to the Orbit with the checkpoint.

BTW I will be up for Hard Raid tonight from the Oracle part because I need three bosses rewards and 2 chests (I can start from beginning too).
If you don't mind a level 28 I'm down to join. I beat the hard raid twice without cheesing. (Though I'm not lactose intolerant)

xCobalt

Is it just me or is Thorn's cross hair not accurate? I have to aim a bit higher than the green dot if I want a precision shot

nowai

Is it just me or is Thorn's cross hair not accurate? I have to aim a bit higher than the green dot if I want a precision shot

Which sight are you using?

I find Thorn to be my most accurate hand cannon. I can pretty much snipe with that business.

Son, dont start. Defeated the Gatekeeper. Bungie servers being a bitch. Gah!

...if you defeated the gatekeepers, then you should have the checkpoint.

cakely

Just take out a shotgun, dead blade dancer

I think you have to deal about 400 points to a bladedancer before he drops. A single point-blank hit with a shotgun is not enough, he needs to be wounded first.

I've stuck an incoming bladedancer with a magnetic grenade and he didn't die.

E92 M3

I think you have to deal about 400 points to a bladedancer before he drops. A single point-blank hit with a shotgun is not enough, he needs to be wounded first.

I've been one-shotted by shotgun multiple times.

Shito

What the f....

Two caterpillars doing the Daily, so I go off and do something else elsewhere. No problems.

Try the Daily again, and another caterpillar! Fuck sake.
Seems like there are huge server problems for Europeans at the moment.

If you have a full auto shotgun it's very easy. Invective is pretty much made to kill Bladedancers.

*Splinter

Anyone out there that can hook me up with finishing off some of my raid stop gaps?

I need Atheon on my Titan 27 - Normal Raid
I need Gatekeepers + Atheon on 27 - Hunter Normal Raid
28 Warlock needs Oracles, Templar, Gatekeepers for Hard Raid

I swear to god I join random groups, somehow Oracles/Templar get downed, but either people fuck up a lot on the Gatekeepers or burn out beating Gatekeeper that when Atheon can't be cheesed or tried legit a few times people give up

I seriously hate the only Fireteam leader gets the checkpoint bullshit
I earned as much as 5 others, I should also have it, it's stupid looking for said leader and hoping they didn't finish or start the raid from the start, and see it falter at the exact same place you got ditched in last raid

If there is anyone out there who is cheesing Atheon, can you please let me join so I can get some fucking drops
I'm getting tired of getting fucked over every raid group I join and get assed out cause of very weird situations

Some GAFfers invite and just coax or have time constraints... then why the hell do the Raid in the first place!
Everyone gets the checkpoint? You can join a raid and immediately leave and you'll still get the checkpoint...
Bungie should make it so if a person dies during the platforming part of the raid everybody has to do it over again.
They should make the labyrinth much bigger, with 6 plates spawning in randomly that must all be activated at the same time

}:)

So we're going to run away from a giant boulder rolling toward us? No wait! A giant rolling ogre pretending to be Samus from Metroid! :D
So the Boulder runs through narrow cave so no jumping over it. On the way back down they're are six little caves on either side that only one person can fit in and its low so you have to slide in. One person gets hit and its a wipe

Lemnisc8

Is it just me or is there a consensus that we need an activity between the 24 strikes (highest level in the strike playlist currently available) and the harder content like the nightfall and the raid?

Once you've done the harder content, level 24 seems too easy by far and really not fun, and there's no reason to play the harder content once you've been rewarded, except to help other players or for the fun through difficulty.

I'd love to see a level 26 or 28 strike with relevant awards for replayability. The rewards would need to be better than the 24 strike but not as good as nightfall/strike, so it'd be difficult to get a good balance, but something like 5% chance of a legendary engram would be along the lines of my thinking.

Level 24 is simply too easy and I need something to keep playing where I am rewarded with something beyond blue engrams which became useless long ago.

Thoughts?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Is it just me or is there a consensus that we need an activity between the 24 strikes (highest level in the strike playlist currently available) and the harder content like the nightfall and the raid?

Once you've done the harder content, level 24 seems too easy by far and really not fun, and there's no reason to play the harder content once you've been rewarded, except to help other players or for the fun through difficulty.

I'd love to see a level 26 or 28 strike with relevant awards for replayability. The rewards would need to be better than the 24 strike but not as good as nightfall/strike, so it'd be difficult to get a good balance, but something like 5% chance of a legendary engram would be along the lines of my thinking.

Level 24 is simply too easy and I need something to keep playing where I am rewarded with something beyond blue engrams which became useless long ago.

Thoughts?

Higher level strikes are coming.

Nodnol

Seems like there are huge server problems for Europeans at the moment.

So far, it just seems to be that mission. Or at least that's the only occurrence I've had...cross fingers.

Everything else is fine, I'm seeing other guardians in the wild, Tower loads fine etc.

EU X1.

MADGAME

Thoughts?

Level 26 strike playlist supposedly coming with The Dark Below expansion in December, and Level 28 playlist supposedly coming with House of Wolves expansion in 2015.

Tovarisc

This makes no sense.

You SHOULD be able to form a few viable tactics for bosses. For instance. For the Templar fight, one tactic is to block his teleports to get more DPS on him at a risk of being overun by minotaurs Or maybe just block every other one or play it safe and none at all. Another tactic is grouping together in order to use the relic cleanse for everyone when marked instead of trying to wipe out oracles. My group never does that but I heard it works. I've heard both tactics being done.

In Atheon, because of the way the relic bubble works right now there is only ONE best, viable tactic. Any other strategy is just purposely handicapping yourself for a challenge. It offers no risk/reward, speed for safety, any variety.

If the bubble didn't allow you to shoot out much more variety would come out of that fight. Player positions, does the relic guy distract boss with bubble or does he use the relic super. Where are players gonna be positioned to spread out atheons fire but still get clear shots on him.

How your suggestion makes sense then?

So there is "one best tactic" for Atheon, but so what? No one is forcing you to use said tactic if you don't want to, but can come up with distraction tactics etc. that you mention yourself.

Why removing tactic from the game and forcing people to use certain way of play makes encounter better? If you are all for tactic variety, like you seem to claim to be?, then how removing tactic adds variety?

You want "challenge tactic" to be only tactic for the boss because one of the current tactics bore you?

How that makes sense or add variety to the game?

Carcetti

I was just upgrading one of my weapons and started wondering... does the attack stat on weapons actually do anything? We've all heard how it's supposed to help you attack higher level enemies but has anyone actually tested it? I mean Iron Banner where stats matter turned out to be BS. If I upgrade my raid rocket launcher from 257 to 267 or whatever, does it actually do anything more on raid enemies?

xCobalt

Which sight are you using?

I find Thorn to be my most accurate hand cannon. I can pretty much snipe with that business.

Don't have too many upgrades for it yet. Just the first two columns. Using "Accurized Ballistics" in the first column.

lunlunqq

I wish I could control remote at on vita with the DS4...my daughter and I ae home sick. Perfect time to level my last class, but she wants to watch backyardigans...

Tried playing with the vita but I can't aim and am not agile with that thing. I kept dying on regular story missions.

You just need to get used to it. Use the "direct connection setting. Sit closer to your ps4. Lower your look sensitivity to 2 and then graduately tuen it up. Mine is set to 3 now. I did my entire pocket infinity bounty, several level 28 daily missions, and countless portrols on the vita.

Shito

So far, it just seems to be that mission. Or at least that's the only occurrence I've had...cross fingers.

Everything else is fine, I'm seeing other guardians in the wild, Tower loads fine etc.

EU X1.
There are a lot of European xbl users (and a few psn ones) reporting problems right now. Some can't connect at all, and others keep getting disconnected in the middle of a strike / the daily.
Bungie is apparently aware of the problem and working on it (hopefully).

Well lets get one thing out of the way. We don't know how it was designed to play. We know that Atheon teleporting being random was the way it was designed. And that's being fixed.

The relic bubble, we don't know if the way it is was on purpose. And for the record I don't know either. It could very well be designed to block fire and be shot out of or it could be designed to block fire in and out.

I just made an observation that I don't think it makes sense that they allowed you to shoot out of the bubble, It just feels too safe and foolproof to me. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you are. Why do you think Luke didn't say anything about that 'bug' when he mentioned the Atheon one? Sounds like a pretty big and exploitative bug to me.

Nodnol

There are a lot of European xbl users (and a few psn ones) reporting problems right now. Some can't connect at all, and others keep getting disconnected in the middle of a strike / the daily.
Bungie is apparently aware of the problem and working on it (hopefully).

Ah ok, I won't moan too much then, given that I can do some things.

Namikaze1

So the Boulder runs through narrow cave so no jumping over it. On the way back down they're are six little caves on either side that only one person can fit in and its low so you have to slide in. One person gets hit and its a wipe
You should be working at Bungie.

And to improve on your idea, if you wipe, you lose any chance of getting the raid exclusive exotic weapon. Oh and if someone joins the team after a group has passed that part and wiped once, they too don't get the weapon. >:)

Basically, if people join someone who has passed that part to get the checkpoint, they won't be able to get the weapon.

E92 M3

I wish Bungie released statistics of how many players are in what level range. Are we the outlier or are the majority 28+. I honestly don't know anymore.

Dude, I'll play with you. Let's get Kittonwy and some of the old R:FoM guys in on this action! :p

We should just make a new clan: got any ideas for a name? If you want to join a GAF clan, just search for them on Bungie's site. You can't join the "main" clan because clans have a member limit. You'll have to join one of the GAF sub-clans. This is why I'm saying we should just start a new one.

I don't know if we will have enough people. I figured joing one of the GAf clans just to have more members. I played with Efertlis my first night and we caught up. I'll let you know when I have time this week. I want to get enough to try a full raid since I haven't done one yet.

Deku Tree

Anyone out there that can hook me up with finishing off some of my raid stop gaps?

I need Atheon on my Titan 27 - Normal Raid
I need Gatekeepers + Atheon on 27 - Hunter Normal Raid
28 Warlock needs Oracles, Templar, Gatekeepers for Hard Raid

I swear to god I join random groups, somehow Oracles/Templar get downed, but either people fuck up a lot on the Gatekeepers or burn out beating Gatekeeper that when Atheon can't be cheesed or tried legit a few times people give up

I seriously hate the only Fireteam leader gets the checkpoint bullshit
I earned as much as 5 others, I should also have it, it's stupid looking for said leader and hoping they didn't finish or start the raid from the start, and see it falter at the exact same place you got ditched in last raid

If there is anyone out there who is cheesing Atheon, can you please let me join so I can get some fucking drops
I'm getting tired of getting fucked over every raid group I join and get assed out cause of very weird situations

Some GAFfers invite and just coax or have time constraints... then why the hell do the Raid in the first place!

If your character has beaten the normal raid, it can get the hard checkpoint fireteam leader or not. Everyone gets the normal checkpoints. The checkpoint of the fireteam leader is the only one that counts when you enter the raid. I thought that's how it worked. That is always how it has worked for me. I get all the checkpoints.

Shito

I wish Bungie released statistics of how many players are in what level range. Are we the outlier or are the majority 28+. I honestly don't know anymore.
For what it's worth, I rarely ever see sub-24s in the tower or the patrols nowadays...
And the ones I see I always assume they are alts. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom