• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The thing is, it's really easy to gear up when you have more than one of the same class. Having one 29 means having two 29's. Even if you hit 30 and have that extra class sitting the back, when it comes time for an expansion, you'll be able to do the same thing again and receive gear a lot faster, reducing the time to gear by weeks, and also receive greater mastery of that class. Since you're sharing gear you'll use less ascendant shards, allowing you to have a stock to use for new gear acquired, and you'll have more of those class specific upgrade items since you'll be likely acquiring more greens and blues relevant to the class you were playing at the time.

I say this having had 1 of each class then deleting one to make a second Warlock. I think I'll probably keep the 3rd slot for variety since having two slots of the same classes seems to speed up the receipt of gear well enough. The grind to make a new character really isn't that bad if you just are going for the daily bounties consistently.

If your goal is to reach level 30 as fast as possible, if definitely makes sense. I just don't think there's much to gain by reaching 30 as fast as possible, at least not so much that it's worth missing out on the other classes. This game doesn't have a lot of content yet, so just trying to reach level 30 with all three classes keeps me entertained. Right now I have one level 30 and two level 29s. If I was all the same class, and thus all level 30s, I'm not sure what I'd do anymore.

Alright kids. After attempting to get a group together on destinylfg (lots of shady characters on there looking for money), I have decided to come here instead. My regular group has already run through hard for the week but I still have to do it.

So, tonight, 7pm ET, 6pm CT, I'd like to do a run through of the raid on hard on PS4.

Me: level 29 defender titan, completed the normal raid a few times and have cleared the gatekeeper part on hard. Will need an experienced team to help me out. I come with Hawkmoon, maxed Shadow Price, Ice Breaker, raid RL among other weapons.

If you are interested, please hit me back on this thread and I'll get a list together.Give me your PSN ID, level, and subclass and I'll hit you back with an FR. First come, first served with a preference to experienced level 30s.

1) GKW212 (me)
2) Kor_of_Memory (29 titan)
3) x__xo__o (29 warlock)
4) PaulKersey (29 titan)
5) T_urdburger (29 titan)
6)

Zocano

I've seen it a few times but people complaining about the "loot system" is very strange to me.

The game is up and down nearly an MMO in all of its game mechanics...

and coming from an MMO, the "loot system" is exactly how it should be. It's not Diablo where you're just swimming in loot. It's all about just doing the end game content and hoping you get the drop you want (without worrying about splitting the loot up amongst others).

FrankT

Got the Vex on Sunday. Told myself I would quit if I got no raid gear after this week. Feels like so long I've been 29 and still no piece, and in reality it has been. Mythoclast saved your ass Bungie.

I'm trying to do the bounty for killing the Divisive Mind in the Black Garden mission with a heroic modifier... I killed him once but on the regular difficulty because I wasn't paying attention, so I went to orbit and selected a higher level for the mission. It drops me into the mission shortly before he shows up. I go through... and he's not there...

And then, worst of all, an engram rolled of the edge of the platform into the abyss. And it was green so I've forever lost that 14 glimmer and a weapon part/plasteel plate. :(

Why am I even playing this anymore? :\

kuppy

Alright kids. After attempting to get a group together on destinylfg (lots of shady characters on there looking for money), I have decided to come here instead. My regular group has already run through hard for the week but I still have to do it.

So, tonight, 7pm ET, 6pm CT, I'd like to do a run through of the raid on hard on PS4.

Me: level 29 defender titan, completed the normal raid a few times and have cleared the gatekeeper part on hard. Will need an experienced team to help me out. I come with Hawkmoon, maxed Shadow Price, Ice Breaker, raid RL among other weapons.

If you are interested, please hit me back on this thread and I'll get a list together.Give me your PSN ID, level, and subclass and I'll hit you back with an FR. First come, first served with a preference to experienced level 30s.

1) GKW212 (me)
2) Kor_of_Memory (29 titan)
3) x__xo__o (29 warlock)
4) PaulKersey (29 titan)
5) T_urdburger (29 titan)
6)
Sign me up! 29 Hunter, we are already friends on PSN, kuppii930.

Sergoes

If your goal is to reach level 30 as fast as possible, if definitely makes sense. I just don't think there's much to gain by reaching 30 as fast as possible, at least not so much that it's worth missing out on the other classes. This game doesn't have a lot of content yet, so just trying to reach level 30 with all three classes keeps me entertained. Right now I have one level 30 and two level 29s. If I was all the same class, and thus all level 30s, I'm not sure what I'd do anymore.

Yea I guess it really does depend on how much time you're putting in the game and how early you want to do hard modes. It does seem like the gap between expansions is enough that if you want to play throughout the space between expansions there's plenty of time to do 3 classes for sure.

I've seen it a few times but people complaining about the "loot system" is very strange to me.

and coming from an MMO, the "loot system" is exactly how it should be. It's not Diablo where you're just swimming in loot. It's all about just doing the end game content and hoping you get the drop you want (without worrying about splitting the loot up amongst others).

You pretty much nailed it there. Loot is random and takes time like any mmo. For raids they basically took the flex/lfr loot system right out of WoW, which evolved from a lot of trial and error on Blizzard's part. If people had to distribute guaranteed loot drops in random groups, that would be horrifying. The amount of people ninja'ing loot and dropping groups would be staggering and would kill a lot of people's motivation to keep playing.

Steroyd

Aww yiss got my alt Warlock and Hunter to level 26, I wonder if they'd still be useful in a raid packing max levelled Icebreaker and Aetheon's Epilogue.

Namikaze1

Finally got my Warlock to 27. Now to find two others willing to help me out with Nightfall and Weekly on PS4. Want to do this before the reset.

*Splinter

Actually it still wouldn't bother me as much as the snipers in this game since using hand cannons actually takes skill instead of hiding across the whole map and shooting someone in the foot for a one shot kill.
lol, what game are you playing? We have a choice of shotguns (op), fusion rifles (mega op if you have thumbs) and sniper rifles... and you are complaining about the snipers!

The complaints aren't about the loot system, as much as they are about loot tables.

I would love it if I knew that I could go to 1 of 6 specific strikes with a chance of getting 2 or 3 specific pieces of gear that I need.

I think back to WoW vanilla. 1 dungeon had boots, 1 had helmets, 1 had chest pieces, 1 had legs, etc...

In Destiny, it doesn't matter where you go or what you do 99% of the time, everything you get is a random drop. The only exception is the final boss of the raid actually has a loot table. Which is so odd to me. It's like they're aware the concept exists, but didn't want to apply it anywhere else.

How much happier would everyone be if you knew that

Sepiks
-20% to drop a legendary primary weapon engram.
-20% to drop gloves for all classes based around strength.

Phogoth
-20% to drop a legendary special weapon engram.
-20% chance to drop boots for all classes based around int

Nexus
-20% to drop a legendary heavy weapon engram
-20% chance to drop gloves based on strenght

etc...

Of course, this also only works if I can actually queue up the appropriate level of the strike I want to do. Which is a whole different issue, but obviously ties in.

forrest

formerly nacire

Yup, but man I really would love to see strike bosses and raid bosses erupt into a bunch of loot globes when you beat them ala Diablo bosses. It would be awesome.

Tekku

I think I was burnt out on this game a long time ago, but somehow I just keep coming back. The formula is rather genius when you think about it because it's all just mindless repetition and you still keep coming back since there's so many small goals to accomplish. And the grind never ends because you keep telling yourself that somehow you'll feel a bit better when you finally have that powerful gun or fancy cloak in your possession. But when you reach that point you realize that it was all about the hunt, and not actually about using the item, so quickly you look for another goal to work your way towards.

Or you turn the fucking game off for good. I'm thinking that's what I'm gonna do next.

Dreez

I got 2 legendaries from blue engrams yesterday (out of probably 500+)--Swarm (void heavy) and Light/Beware (void fusion). VoG's gonna be my bitch.

*Splinter

Nice to see I'm not the only one thinking this :p All day this thread is filled with complaints that Bungie need to "fix their loot system". It isn't broken!

Namikaze1

I think I prefer Praetorian Foil over Light/Beware. I can upgrade the charge rate to match Light/Beware and it has a much higher impact rating. Only other difference is that Light/Beware has 6 shots compare to Foil's 5.

*Splinter

The complaints aren't about the loot system, as much as they are about loot tables.

I would love it if I knew that I could go to 1 of 6 specific strikes with a chance of getting 2 or 3 specific pieces of gear that I need.

I think back to WoW vanilla. 1 dungeon had boots, 1 had helmets, 1 had chest pieces, 1 had legs, etc...

In Destiny, it doesn't matter where you go or what you do 99% of the time, everything you get is a random drop. The only exception is the final boss of the raid actually has a loot table. Which is so odd to me. It's like they're aware the concept exists, but didn't want to apply it anywhere else.

How much happier would everyone be if you knew that

Sepiks
-20% to drop a legendary primary weapon engram.
-20% to drop gloves for all classes based around strength.

Phogoth
-20% to drop a legendary special weapon engram.
-20% chance to drop boots for all classes based around int

Nexus
-20% to drop a legendary heavy weapon engram
-20% chance to drop gloves based on strenght

etc...

Of course, this also only works if I can actually queue up the appropriate level of the strike I want to do. Which is a whole different issue, but obviously ties in.
I agree that this is what Bungie did wrong. However this isn't the complaint I hear repeated over and over on GAF, my friends list and elsewhere. When most people complain about loot in this game they are referring specifically to the raid not giving them exactly what they want, because they deserve to be 30 NOW, damnit.

They are wrong, of course, and more annoying is that it distracts from the more important points that you are bringing up here.

lol, what game are you playing? We have a choice of shotguns (op), fusion rifles (mega op if you have thumbs) and sniper rifles... and you are complaining about the snipers!

You still have to actually aim a shotgun and fusion rifle (while having to charge it too) and get in close to use them. That's the risk to go along with the reward. You're completely open to supers and other people using those guns.

But where's the risk to snipers? Hiding across a map with a sniper rifle that delivers one shot kills regardless of where you hit them is one of the most pathetic ways to score kills in this game. Especially with the ridiculous aim assist.

Waldini

So satisfying to finish the Raid on hard.

A ship and some shards. No wonder people cheese this shit. Damn. O well, the Mythlocast is not what it used to be. Slight comfort!

Done with the Thorn bounty till tomorrow. Otherwise I'll lose my sanity.

Thats the smart thing to do. Seems like a lot of ppl are working on the Thorn bounty right now, myself included. I've never been much for PvP. Nonetheless I picked up Void special and heavy weapons and went to work. Ended up getting it done over 3 days and about 3 hours of playing crucible. Thought I was gonna take a week after I only picked up 20pts in the first game but sometimes you get on a roll and just keep going. Well on to Xyor for me.

Yes sir I do!

Added you!

Added you too!

4 in, 2 to go.

Turdburger, you mean later as in how many hours from now? Just to know.

If you guys are talking about the hard raid I would love to join. Just turned lv 30 today. Warlock psn ck716

Edit** in a few hours. I won't be online until later

Tawpgun

Hard Light has a perk that says it overpenetrates enemies. Does this mean I can line up a bunch of adds and just shoot through all of them?

Acorn

Got the Vex on Sunday. Told myself I would quit if I got no raid gear after this week. Feels like so long I've been 29 and still no piece, and in reality it has been. Mythoclast saved your ass Bungie.
Heh I've finished the raid like 5 times normal 3 times hard.

Zero raid gear but I did get vex....the week they destroyed it.

*Splinter

You still have to actually aim a shotgun and fusion rifle (while having to charge it too) and get in close to use them. That's the risk to go along with the reward. You're completely open to supers and other people using those guns.

But where's the risk to snipers? Hiding across a map with a sniper rifle that delivers one shot kills regardless of where you hit them is one of the most pathetic ways to score kills in this game. Especially with the ridiculous aim assist.
Every sniper is 2 hit kill in crucible. Or 1 headshot. Very few maps are large enough to make snipers beneficial (I use them for fun, I would do better with Shottie or FR or even nothing in most games.

And shotguns take more skill to aim than snipers? Ok.

Daemul

There's a play survey happening on Reddit if you guys want to take part

Survey

Click the link below when you're done to take a look at the results so far

Results

7500 have voted, not even 10% of them are level 30.

They are clearly not praying to RNGesus enough

Need a good team for hard raid gatekeeper checkpoint, would like to finish before the reset, don't care if we cheese Atheon after, there will be lots of time to do it the normal way after the patch, just want to finish it today.

PSN babyghost853.

Homeboyd

Hard Light has a perk that says it overpenetrates enemies. Does this mean I can line up a bunch of adds and just shoot through all of them?
Yeah but I think the ricochet is the big deal here. Haven't bothered upgrading mine yet... have 2 of them now.

Thanks. I don't think I'll be able to solo that one.
The 3 waves section is the hardest part... until of course they "fix" the phogoth encounter. But yeah, I wouldn't do it solo either though it is doable. I have no idea how you beat the last encounter solo without using the entrance.

BLU-82

is anyone doing a last minute - hardmode cheese? Have run legitimately on both my warlocks but having hard time with hunter. wanted to make a last shot before patch :(

Heh I've finished the raid like 5 times normal 3 times hard.

Zero raid gear but I did get vex....the week they destroyed it.

That really sucks and is why leveling should not be linked with RNG. I got my chest, gloves and boots by my fifth normal raid. It sucks for others who haven't gotten their gear

Tawpgun

Yeah but I think the ricochet is the big deal here. Haven't bothered upgrading mine yet... have 2 of them now.

The 3 waves section is the hardest part... until of course they "fix" the phogoth encounter. But yeah, I wouldn't do it solo either though it is doable. I have no idea how you beat the last encounter solo without using the entrance.

I have never seen the point of ricochet. Over penetrating seems to be the big thing here. In the VoG you can mow down those waves of fanatics.

Every sniper is 2 hit kill in crucible. Or 1 headshot. Very few maps are large enough to make snipers beneficial (I use them for fun, I would do better with Shottie or FR or even nothing in most games.

Yeah I figured that. Enjoy it.

And shotguns take more skill to aim than snipers? Ok.

Show me where I said those words. Although now that you say it I'd argue using the shotgun takes more skill to get kills. In a field full of auto rifles pegging you from every direction it sounds a lot easier to just find a nice hiding spot and shoot at them from far away with a sniper.

Homeboyd

I have never seen the point of ricochet. Over penetrating seems to be the big thing here. In the VoG you can mow down those waves of fanatics.
I haven't seen the ricochet in use but from what people say it makes it sound like it just constantly bounces around until it hits a target. Could be useful in tight quarters... but like I said, mine doesn't even have the first upgrade so I haven't tried it personally.

mcfrank

That really sucks and is why leveling should not be linked with RNG. I got my chest, gloves and boots by my fifth normal raid. It sucks for others who haven't gotten their gear

Yeah their mistake was not making a bigger distinction between light level and character level. In WoW you have your character level and then your item level. In practice they are pretty much the same system, but in Destiny it feels weird because your item level number is just a continuation of your character level number so it feels like leveling slows down. If light level was renumbered to not match so well with character level and instead just when by the light value on gear it would feel a lot better. The system would be exactly the same, but people wouldnt be so annoyed by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom