• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel bad for cheesing him, especially with all those bugs and getting screw over by the RNG. Anyone down for the nightfall, weekly or raid when the resets hits?

Obscured

Finally found a good group that let me jump into the raid with them. Got the Praedyth's Revenge, Vision of Confluence and Chatterwhite. I'm pretty happy with that, but I would really have liked some raid gear as there is no way for me to get to 30 without it.

Finished the Raid for the first time tonight (thanks random dudes from the Destiny reddit!).... I'm conflicted.

On one hand, conceptually, I love all of the challenges that Bungie came up with. The puzzle nature of the bosses and the interludes between were cool, and the battles with minions before the bosses finally appeared made for some intense, memorable battles.

Unfortunately, as seems to be the case with every single fucking facet of this game, the execution is nowhere near as good as the concept. There are so many fucking stupid small things that can go wrong over the course of a battle (all of which take fucking eons cause, YAY BULLET SPONGES ARE FUN GUYS!) that basically negate all the time put in.

Oh you were coming through that portal with the relic? Haha, fuck you, no you're not, sorry bout that glitch there friend.

Oh, you'd like to shoot this boss that's already a bullet sponge and has the ability to teleport out of the way? Haha, fuck you, we're going to drop a dome on you WHILE YOUR ROCKET IS IN THE AIR that requires absolutely no line-of-sight from the boss, and boom you're dead. Game is fun, yes?

It speaks to me deep-seated self-loathing that yes, I am going to do this Raid again, and I will continue to do it (along with the Crucible, which is also terrible for it's own reasons), until I get that damn Multitool Scout Rifle I want so bad.... hell, at this point, I'd settle for the Confluence of whatever-the-fuck-bullshit-head-up-their-own-ass name Scout Rifle.

Argh.

Am I bad person for being happy that Atheon cheese gets fixed "soon" and all checkpoint begging will be a thing of the past?
I'm glad checkpoint begging will be gone, but they should've fixed the bugs in the raid before fixing the cheese. Players will always find ways to cheese.

Also, really disappointed that Bungie are "fixing" the teleport on Atheon. Such BS.

Bungie just talking about the weekly reset

Anyone have an atheon checkpoint? Level 29/30 sun singer

I'm glad checkpoint begging will be gone, but they should've fixed the bugs in the raid before fixing the cheese. Players will always find ways to cheese.

Also, really disappointed that Bungie are "fixing" the teleport on Atheon. Such BS.

Sorry lol Last night and all

Lakitu

st5fu
Finished the Raid for the first time tonight (thanks random dudes from the Destiny reddit!).... I'm conflicted.

On one hand, conceptually, I love all of the challenges that Bungie came up with. The puzzle nature of the bosses and the interludes between were cool, and the battles with minions before the bosses finally appeared made for some intense, memorable battles.

Unfortunately, as seems to be the case with every single fucking facet of this game, the execution is nowhere near as good as the concept. There are so many fucking stupid small things that can go wrong over the course of a battle (all of which take fucking eons cause, YAY BULLET SPONGES ARE FUN GUYS!) that basically negate all the time put in.

Oh you were coming through that portal with the relic? Haha, fuck you, no you're not, sorry bout that glitch there friend.

Oh, you'd like to shoot this boss that's already a bullet sponge and has the ability to teleport out of the way? Haha, fuck you, we're going to drop a dome on you WHILE YOUR ROCKET IS IN THE AIR that requires absolutely no line-of-sight from the boss, and boom you're dead. Game is fun, yes?

It speaks to me deep-seated self-loathing that yes, I am going to do this Raid again, and I will continue to do it (along with the Crucible, which is also terrible for it's own reasons), until I get that damn Multitool Scout Rifle I want so bad.... hell, at this point, I'd settle for the Confluence of whatever-the-fuck-bullshit-head-up-their-own-ass name Scout Rifle.

Argh.

At this point, I'd give you my Mida Multi Tool to stop you from punishing yourself, but alas, no trading system.

Tovarisc

I don't feel bad for cheesing him, especially with all those bugs and getting screw over by the RNG. Anyone down for the nightfall, weekly or raid when the resets hits?

I never minded him being cheesed, good time saver, but for some reason I was always bothered by Atheon checkpoint beggars.

People basically saying that they are too lazy to clear raid, but want / are entitled to some best gear in the game.

I never minded him being cheesed, good time saver, but for some reason I was always bothered by Atheon checkpoint beggars.

People basically saying that they are too lazy to clear raid, but want / are entitled to some best gear in the game.

I'd like to know where to find these beggars, because I spent about 5 hours trying to find 5 people to join me on the Aetheon save I got fair and square by busting my ass with gaffers the night before, lol.

If it's there it will be exploited. I don't think laziness comes into it. I found out last night about it and today I did it twice already and will do it one last time. I'm a level 30 and got my gear "legitimately".

Tovarisc

I'd like to know where to find these beggars, because I spent about 5 hours trying to find 5 people to join me on the Aetheon save I got fair and square by busting my ass with gaffers the night before, lol.

This OT has a lot of people begging for Atheon hard checkpoint so start here?

Lakitu

st5fu
Are Bungie still going on with the VoG random time stream? Even though there has been nothing but negative vitriol and feedback for it...

Bungie just talking about the weekly reset

Anyone have an atheon checkpoint? Level 29/30 sun singer

Sorry lol Last night and all

Lol, it's just gotten to the point where there are entire threads dedicated to checkpoint begging on other forums, and I've even heard some were selling the checkpoint. Yeah, that needed to stop. It's also the reason the Vex was so common in the Iron Banner.

breakfuss

Lol, it's just gotten to the point where there are entire threads dedicated to checkpoint begging on other forums, and I've even heard some were selling the checkpoint. Yeah, that needed to stop. It's also the reason the Vex was so common in the Iron Banner.

So are they patching out the ability to join at any checkpoint as well? Just the cheesing exploits, right?

SnakeEyes

Banned
Until the next raid DLC comes up.. I am sure there will be some exploits to be done there :)
I don't doubt it, but maybe Bungie will be more on the ball with the implementation of the Raid and think about the potential level of dairy in the boss fights before it releases.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It's just the loot cave all over again.

I don't get it. It's surely more fun to play through it from the start properly?

Same with the loot cave. it's got to be more fun to just play the game 'normally'.

But that's just my opinion. If it makes you happy, I don't really mind.

This OT has a lot of people begging for Atheon hard checkpoint so start here?

Hmmm.... maybe they were all PS4 peeps?

Speaking of which, my PS4 character has been completely neglected ever since I decided 'yes, I'm going to beat this damn raid' on Xbox One (since he was slightly ahead level-wise).

Considering all the save data is saved server side and attached to a bungie.net account, I can't for the life of me understand why I can't carry one character between two platforms.

i get what you mean. If it's offer I am fine with that, but I rather not ask around :p

I'm down for the weekly and nightfall once the reset happens.

I'm down for the normal raid too if anyone is interested :p
Psn: iRAWRasaurus

Huh, where? And why? Seemed like a sensible tweak to me...

Because it needlessly removes the one element of genuine communication and strategy in that boss battle, in favor of adding 'YAY, MORE CHAOTIC BULLSHIT!'.

Honestly, the one cool part of playing that fight was how you coordinated which team went where, and each team established roles, got used to fighting with each other.

Now it's going to be like 'hey, you guys think you'd make a good team? Fuck you, here, join up with this dude who's never even picked up the relic before in his life and has no interest in it because he KNOWS he's better at holding down gates on the outside'

Midas

Considering all the save data is saved server side and attached to a bungie.net account, I can't for the life of me understand why I can't carry one character between two platforms.

I agree, it's really weird. Maybe some contractual things? Can't see any other reason.

breakfuss

Still looking for someone to join on the weekly heroic before the reset. Doesn't matter the difficulty level..would prefer 22 or 26 since I'm only at 25, though. I'm also game for the daily!

I agree, it's really weird. Maybe some contractual things? Can't see any other reason.

I guess it could be but... still weird.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the PC version. If one of the two console versions allows you to transfer back and forth with the PC, I guess we'll know which platform holder was desperately insecure about letting players share data cross-console.

So are they patching out the ability to join at any checkpoint as well? Just the cheesing exploits, right?

Just the cheesing method as far as I know. The checkpoint should be fixed as well. An experienced Warlock can take out Atheon in like 30 seconds. Now that it won't be so easy, it might stop randoms groups of people just looking to mooch off someone.

*Splinter

Because it needlessly removes the one element of genuine communication and strategy in that boss battle, in favor of adding 'YAY, MORE CHAOTIC BULLSHIT!'.

Honestly, the one cool part of playing that fight was how you coordinated which team went where, and each team established roles, got used to fighting with each other.

Now it's going to be like 'hey, you guys think you'd make a good team? Fuck you, here, join up with this dude who's never even picked up the relic before in his life and has no interest in it because he KNOWS he's better at holding down gates on the outside'
As it is now, you assign people roles before the fight starts. One person opens portals and nothing else. One guys used the relic and nothing else. One guy throws a flash and then shoots oracles and nothing else. This was fine when we were learning the raid and developing strategies, but now I think it's wise of Bungie to tweak it and up the difficulty slightly. This GREATLY improves the need for good teamwork and communication as you need to quickly establish who was ported and who is doing what. You also need a better understanding of multiple roles, you can't give the one level 30 the relic every time and leave Johnny no thumbs on portal duty.

It's the final boss, it's supposed to be difficult.

Edit: forgot to add, once these roles are assigned you can play it out in silence (or maybe just calling out portals, depending on strats), how is this 'the one element of genuine communication'?

As it is now, you assign people roles before the fight starts. One person opens portals and nothing else. One guys used the relic and nothing else. One guy throws a flash and then shoots oracles and nothing else. This was fine when we were learning the raid and developing strategies, but now I think it's wise of Bungie to tweak it and up the difficulty slightly. This GREATLY improves the need for good teamwork and communication as you need to quickly establish who was ported and who is doing what. You also need a better understanding of multiple roles, you can't give the one level 30 the relic every time and leave Johnny no thumbs on portal duty.

It's the final boss, it's supposed to be difficult.

*Shrugs*

I guess you could look at it that way.

To me, it feels like a hockey team showing up for a game, and being told 'you, the scoring winger... you're playing goalie. You, the puck-moving D-man. You're playing center. Center, you're the stay-at-home D. The rest of you, pick whatever position seems to need filling when you hit the ice. It will require communication and teamwork to make this nonsensical random bullshit work, so it's better and fun!'

the random teleport makes no sense when players have been specializing in roles all the way up to this point.

-players choose sides to build the spire
-players choose sides to defend the confluxes
-players choose sides to shoot oracles
-a relic holder is chosen during the templar fight and changed if necessary.
-one player leads in the gorgon maze
-home and away teams are chosen during the gatekeeper phase
-home and away teams were chosen during atheon phase

most of these decisions were made based on class, level, gear, skill and experience. all of a sudden the last fight is different - throwing those decisions out the window - and some people think it's good because it's more "challenging"?

not really. just as players adapted from normal to hard, they'll adapt from predictable to unpredictable. the difficulty isn't the issue here, but rather the inconsistency, especially since it's happening 6 weeks after release.

*Splinter

*Shrugs*

I guess you could look at it that way.

To me, it feels like a hockey team showing up for a game, and being told 'you, the scoring winger... you're playing goalie. You, the puck-moving D-man. You're playing center. Center, you're the stay-at-home D. The rest of you, pick whatever position seems to need filling when you hit the ice. It will require communication and teamwork to make this nonsensical random bullshit work, so it's better and fun!'
That's just a bad analogy... But to run with it a bit... Players get pulled out of position (in soccer, honestly don't know hockey well enough to say for sure) and have to use teamwork and communication to react and have someone else 'fill the gap'. To do this players need at least a rudimentary understanding of other positions and roles.

I forgot to mention, once we assign the roles I listed you can play in silence, how is that an example of good communication?

The worst thing is that they label these changes as 'bug fixes' and I hate that, just straight up tell the truth and say you want to change it, don't hide it behind bugs.

If the back 3 teleporting really was a bug why was it left alone for all this time? it's only seemed to raise it's ugly head since hard raids are being beat more then they like.

And what ever happened to the bug about strike boss HP? lol

Does anyone know where I can get the ship "Aurora Wake" which is PlayStation exclusive?

i think i've scrapped one from a random chest. i scrap all grey and brown ships as they are fugly.

Where are my ship paint shaders bungie?! only one red ship and it's the one you get from the first mission :D

That's just a bad analogy... But to run with it a bit... Players get pulled out of position (in soccer, honestly don't know hockey well enough to say for sure) and have to use teamwork and communication to react and have someone else 'fill the gap'. To do this players need at least a rudimentary understanding of other positions and roles.

I forgot to mention, once we assign the roles I listed you can play in silence, how is that an example of good communication?

Yeah, hockey is more specialized that soccer. Sometimes a Defensemen can play as forward since it's an easier position, but otherwise, if you're down a particular positon, it means you're given more time to the remaining players at that positon, tiring them out and creating match-up difficulties against the other team's lines.

You can't play in silence, the people on the outside need to know which of the two gates to open.

And the people on the inside need to know when the landing pad is clear of those bullshit exploding harpies before walking through, otherwise it's instadeath.

That's just two examples, there's many more, depending on what strategy you're using (everybody in the middle using the light damage-boost from a titan dome, etc).

And then there's the little fact that getting killed already drags a random other person into the portal (unless the game fucks up and only sends 2, thereby screwing everybody over), so it's not people aren't already being forced to fill roles they might not otherwise anyway.

rdrr gnr

the random teleport makes no sense when players have been specializing in roles all the way up to this point.

-players choose sides to build the spire
-players choose sides to defend the confluxes
-players choose sides to shoot oracles
-a relic holder is chosen during the templar fight and changed if necessary.
-one player leads in the gorgon maze
-home and away teams are chosen during the gatekeeper phase
-home and away teams were chosen during atheon phase

most of these decisions were made based on class, level, gear, skill and experience. all of a sudden the last fight is different - throwing those decisions out the window - and some people think it's good because it's more "challenging"?

not really. just as players adapted from normal to hard, they'll adapt from predictable to unpredictable. the difficulty isn't the issue here, but rather the inconsistency, especially since it's happening 6 weeks after release.
I would imagine a similar response had the changes taken the selection from random to the three farthest. "Stop making it easier, the content should be hard." "Some people never have the opportunity to be portal team." "People will fight over who gets to go inside." What matters is not what they intended but how the community has adjusted. It just doesn't feel like this needed to be addressed at least not when there are so many more pressing issues.

I would imagine a similar response had the changes taken the selection from random to the three farthest. "Stop making it easier, the content should be hard." "Some people never have the opportunity to be portal team." "People will fight over who gets to go inside." What matters is not what they intended but how the community has adjusted. It just doesn't feel like this needed to be address at least not when there are so many more pressing issues.

This.

Bungie is prioritizing 'issues' that hurt their ego, rather than those that actually hurt the consumer's enjoyment of the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom