• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been going in with portal party, shooting oracles and then putting dome for weapon of light since forever, dunno what I'll do if they decide to randomize it. It'd be fish out of water if I had to stay back and defend the portals lol.

*Splinter

the random teleport makes no sense when players have been specializing in roles all the way up to this point.

-players choose sides to build the spire
Players frequently provide cover fire and rotate if necessary when one side loses control
-players choose sides to defend the confluxes
Same again, even more so as groups call out and react to minotaurs
-players choose sides to shoot oracles
-a relic holder is chosen during the templar fight and changed if necessary.
Bolded for emphasis.
-one player leads in the gorgon maze
True, although I would argue that this idea was underdeveloped (though certainly a nice idea.
-home and away teams are chosen during the gatekeeper phase
True again, but gatekeepers done right takes less than 3 minutes, in which time deaths are highly likely but acceptable and must be reacted to properly
-home and away teams were chosen during atheon phase
And this is the part most accommodating to a 'weak link' (portal opening guy). It isn't being completely randomised either, it's not like one guy is randomly selected to hold the relic etc. You are split into two teams of three, proper understanding of all mechanics and efficient communication will be key to passing this section.
most of these decisions were made based on class, skill and experience. all of a sudden the last fight is different - throwing those decisions out the window - and some people think it's good because it's more "challenging"?

not really. just as players adapted from normal to hard, they'll adapt from predictable to unpredictable. the difficulty isn't the issue here, but rather the inconsistency, especially since it's happening 6 weeks after release.
Im not saying it's good because it's challenging (although challenging is good), I'm saying that right now this part of the raid requires the least communication/teamwork, and this changes that for the better

I've been going in with portal party, shooting oracles and then putting dome for weapon of light since forever, dunno what I'll do if they decide to randomize it. It'd be fish out of water if I had to stay back and defend the portals lol.

I have never gone into that damn portal and not ended up blind, lol.

I love staying back, securing the portal, and keeping the landing pad clear of harpies before jumping to the middle platform and deploying a titan dome with weapon buff effect, then flanking and shooting some rockets at Aetheon, while he's busy getting spammed by Warlock specials. :D

Midas

It's not like it's hard to defend the portals. Just shoot the harpies? :)

The hard thing about this will be the chaos when random people get teleported. To be honest, no part is really that hard. Not on normal.

Nodnol

Morning all.

Reset day: yay.

I see teleporting is still on the agenda; am I the only one that doesn't think it's that big a deal?

*Splinter

Yeah, hockey is more specialized that soccer. Sometimes a Defensemen can play as forward since it's an easier position, but otherwise, if you're down a particular positon, it means you're given more time to the remaining players at that positon, tiring them out and creating match-up difficulties against the other team's lines.

You can't play in silence, the people on the outside need to know which of the two gates to open.

And the people on the inside need to know when the landing pad is clear of those bullshit exploding harpies before walking through, otherwise it's instadeath.

That's just two examples, there's many more, depending on what strategy you're using (everybody in the middle using the light damage-boost from a titan dome, etc).

And then there's the little fact that getting killed already drags a random other person into the portal (unless the game fucks up and only sends 2, thereby screwing everybody over), so it's not people aren't already being forced to fill roles they might not otherwise anyway.
Announcing 'left' or 'right' is not communication... And do you honestly wait for supplicants to be out of the way? That's wasting precious buff time (and they shouldn't be there in the first place)

Im not saying it's good because it's challenging (although challenging is good), I'm saying that right now this part of the raid requires the least communication/teamwork, and this changes that for the better

this really isn't true at all. you don't have to call out praetorians every 30 seconds, but if you aren't completely in sync then you're going to wipe. teamwork doesn't have to mean yelling into the mic.

i'm also not sure where people get off saying that opening portals is "the easy job". Of the normal and hard runs I've done, we've only ever stalled at this phase when the guys opening the portal kept dying. Yes, even when they were standing on the pillars. Both teams are just as important and I'm not sure Bungie was entirely aware of that.

artificially stimulating communication by increasing the "difficulty" at this stage just shows me that they're winging it - throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

edit: i thought bungie also recently acknowledged that after a certain point, people stop calling everything out during the raid and start talking about their day? I've done raids where we talked more about food than the objectives.

Midas

Morning all.

Reset day: yay.

I see teleporting is still on the agenda; am I the only one that doesn't think it's that big a deal?

I'm fine with it. I think their intention from the beginning was that random people should've gotten teleported. Just bad code that made it pick people furthest from Atheon.

Tovarisc

I'm fine with it. I think their intention from the beginning was that random people should've gotten teleported. Just bad code that made it pick people furthest from Atheon.

If it's legitimate bug they [Bungie] really need invest in QA department and get few testers to do some shit with content before they release it. It took, what?, a day for community to figure out that furthest 3 gets teleported?

I don't believe it's legit bug

Haven't done hard mode would like to get it before the patch

Do you have gear for it? Level 29-30 with some decent 300 damage weapons? If so it's doable all legit.

That said I will most likely cook up "alt raid" this week for hard mode, but I won't promise anything just yet. Just something that may pop up :)

I have never gone into that damn portal and not ended up blind, lol.

I love staying back, securing the portal, and keeping the landing pad clear of harpies before jumping to the middle platform and deploying a titan dome with weapon buff effect, then flanking and shooting some rockets at Aetheon, while he's busy getting spammed by Warlock specials. :D

If you're always ending up blind, you need a better relic holder or need to tell them you can't see lol.

So who is down for the hard raid or normal in 30 minutes at reset?

PS4
Cosmos_Man
Level 29 Titan
4 Hard clears and dozens of normal clears
10 exotic weapons and tons of legendaries
Full raid void weapon set maxed out

Midas

If it's legitimate bug they [Bungie] really need invest in QA department and get few testers to do some shit with content before they release it. It took, what?, a day for community to figure out that furthest 3 gets teleported?

I don't believe it's legit bug

Do you have gear for it? Level 29-30 with some decent 300 damage weapons? If so it's doable all legit.

That said I will most likely cook up "alt raid" this week for hard mode, but I won't promise anything just yet. Just something that may pop up :)

No, it's not a bug. It's sloppy coding. Atheon falling of the side isn't a bug either. But as you say; their QA isn't really where it should be.

*Splinter

i'm also not sure where people get off saying that opening portals is "the easy job". Of the normal and hard runs I've done, we've only ever stalled at this phase when the guys opening the portal kept dying. Yes, even when they were standing on the pillars. Both teams are just as important and I'm not sure Bungie was entirely aware of that.
In my experience the weaker players are usually left outside and hence these strategies are less well developed. With the proper setup the outside group should never be failing. 'My experience' might not be representative, but it is what it is.

The rest... agree to disagree I guess, different ways of looking at it

Ambitious

Last time I played, I found blueprints for a new ship - one whose name I've never heard before. It was an exact copy of my current one. Great job, Bungie.

*Splinter

No, it's not a bug. It's sloppy coding. Atheon falling of the side isn't a bug either. But as you say; their QA isn't really where it should be.
I don't think its a bug, I don't think its 'sloppy coding' either (although no idea what that means in this context). I think it was working as intended, but they've decided (for whatever reason) to tweak.

Pure speculation, of course

In my experience the weaker players are usually left outside and hence these strategies are less well developed. With the proper setup the outside group should never be failing. 'My experience' might not be representative, but it is what it is.

The rest... agree to disagree I guess, different ways of looking at it

i should have made the distinction between hard and normal. normal runs can afford to have 'weaker players' on the outside, but on hard difficulty i've found the opposite is true. you need properly geared people in the portal, but opening the gates is a more dangerous job as far as being where you need to be and ensuring the portal team is safe when they exit.

i've usually been portal team and i find defense to be more difficult when i switch. in the portal, i'll fire two rockets and the adds will either be dead or weak for the relic guy. if my golden gun is up, the relic guy doesn't even have to go down. it's then a matter of the portal team killing oracles. as long as they know the sequence and aren't using bad juju, it's easy.

it might be difficult for people who don't know how to play in the portals, but compared to defense you're in less danger.

TTG

PS4
Cosmos_Man
Level 29 Titan

I got you bro.

PS3
Level 7 Warlock
4 heroic clears and dozens of normal clears on earth missions
10 green weapons and a ton of white
one green void shotgun maxed out

Midas

I don't think its a bug, I don't think its 'sloppy coding' either (although no idea what that means in this context). I think it was working as intended, but they've decided (for whatever reason) to tweak.

Pure speculation, of course

My pure speculation about the raid's level design.

- Hey, shouldn't three random people get teleported? That's a funny idea.
- Yeah, I like that. Will you fix that Mr raid coder?
- Sure (Hmm, what is the easiest way to do this? What if I pick the three furthest away from atheon? Yeah, that will work.)

You always try to find the easiest way to do things. I might, of course, be totally wrong, but I really don't believe that the intention during level design, was that the three players furthest away would be the ones to get teleported. Just seem like a strange idea. The randomness make more sense to me. It shouldn't be easy, it's the final boss, as someone wrote.

Ps4's loss is my gain :p

I got a coworker to spit out his drink laughing when I quoted your comment about using the controller like a fucking animal instead of being able to use the Kinect commands.

Here's to a wonderous future of being horrifically overweight and spending our days in hover chairs a la the 3rd act of Wall-E! :p

I actually had some similarly hilarious conversation tonight with some randoms off of the Destiny Subreddit. Three of the guys were spanish. They could speak english fine, but spanish was obviously their second language.

After about 15 failed attempts, I said 'Look, I don't want to turn this Raid into a socio-cultural critique, but maybe we should just spend the 3 spanish dudes into the portal to deal with the bullshit, while we clear things up out here?'

That had everybody laughing for a good 3 minutes straight.... and then that's exactly what we did and it worked wonderfully.

Almost time for the reset, finally something to do :p

Anyone up for the raid/weekly/nightfall in like 3 hours after the reset? I won't be free until then.

So I'm at Atheon hard right now. What happens if I just stay in here past reset?

It'll probably log you out and ask you to do the update, assuming it is being launched with the reset.

PS4
Cosmos_Man
Level 29 Titan

I'm down for that but after nightfall and weekly strike if possible. PSN Jignxs

Pimpwerx

I don't care about the baby bumpers, but the random teleporting is an artificial and nonsensical way of upping the difficulty. I can handle any role fine, but you can't say that for most. First few days will be a cluster fuck again. PEACE.

TP-DK

So the weekly reset is almost here, who's up for doing this weeks nightfall and weekly strike on PS4?

My Psn is Redman_DK

*Splinter

Probably a "bug" wait for the hotfix
lol
Was fixed in last weeks hot fix actually
i should have made the distinction between hard and normal. normal runs can afford to have 'weaker players' on the outside, but on hard difficulty i've found the opposite is true. you need properly geared people in the portal, but opening the gates is a more demanding job as far as being where you need to be and ensuring the portal team is safe when they exit.

i've usually been portal team and i find defense to be more difficult. in the portal, i'll fire two rockets and the adds will either be dead or weak for the relic guy. if my golden gun is up, the relic guy doesn't even have to go down. it's then a matter of the portal team killing oracles. as long as they know the sequence and aren't using bad juju, it's easy.
I was talking about hard too :p I agree portals are easy once you've found a good routine, outside is easy from the get go as long as you sit people in the right places (sit one guy above each portal for MUCH better line of sight on supplicants. Last guy stands on whichever pillar to open portal and clears up any supplicants that slip through (if any). Can be done easily by 29s

blackflag

Well I'm ready for nightfall. Got 29 hunter and 27 Titan to get through it. Don't think I can solo this week tbh but Thunderlord will get some good use.

Casmith7509. Ps4

Dayumm angry and lightswitch

another week with no boots for any of my 3 characters all running Hard Mode. At least I only put in about 5 hours total this week, so that lessens the blow a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom