• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizazedo

But you can still grab all the bounties, you just have to make trips to the tower over and over again. Oh and if you have exotic bounties to finish like I do? I've only got 3 open bounty slots because of those.

Bungie clearly designed this game with tiny inconvenient caps on things to force you to play longer.

Normally I try and believe in incompetence before malevolence.

....but not this time, it really does feel intentional in some places.

void666

Banned
Oh yea, it's probably the hardest strike, level 28 weeklies included. Without cheesing it, we had 3 level 29 players and while we didn't wipe, we were down to one guy alive a couple of times. The knights will be shielded and that's a killer, if you don't have two guys shooting at the same knight expect to empty a full clip from a sniper with almost no damage to a health bar to show for it. If the wizards gang up on you, you're toast, the whole thing is a grind... it's not pleasant.

Why are you shooting shielded knights with non arc weapons?
They are 26. Once their shields are down they die pretty quickly.

I did it solo without cheesing for the most part. I had to run around the arena a few times.
And at the last wave i had to run through the door.

Died only once because i tried to reach a cheese spot i saw in a video.

But you can still grab all the bounties, you just have to make trips to the tower over and over again. Oh and if you have exotic bounties to finish like I do? I've only got 3 open bounty slots because of those.

Bungie clearly designed this game with tiny inconvenient caps on things to force you to play longer.

Bingo.

EL CUCO

Dammit, guess I'll need to do it until I'm perfect at it. Hopefully future Raids don't have this shit so I can get through those types of sections. What an annoying trophy. At least we don't all have to be clan members for it!

But it's worse than having to be clan members...NOBODY CAN DIE! NOBODY :'(

Zakalwe

Banned
Cheesing Atheon was much more of a challenge for the Raid crews I joined this week than doing it legit. We even got a noob last night and that didn't help. The Party Leader was getting so frustrated with everyone I couldn't help but be amused.

Unless someone can do it solo fairly quickly, it's more of a hassle.

Exactly, anyone who can clear the raid should be able to clear Atheon legit much more consistently than trying to cheese him. I guess both ways are prone to various glitches/rng effects, etc...

Really, this entire thing is a clusterfuck.

LiK

When you're lvl 29-30 with a good team, dying isn't much of an issue in the firefights in Normal. It's the instant death Gorgon Maze and Platforming part that is the biggest challenge.

Also don't die while jumping down to grab those hidden chests.

Vereataes

Neo Member
Cool when add you both this evening.

So still need three for a full normal raid run, starting at 8:30 GMT / 3:30 eastern

I think that's 19:30 London time, so I should be able to get home from work in time.

28 hunter. Have cleared a few times without cheese and held the relic. Have an almost maxed Vision of Conf too

psn: Arassuil

Maledict

The Last Word still eludes me...

I hope Xur sells that shit this Friday

I have a sneaking suspicion he can't actually sell The Last Word. I'm sure I have seen a list of gear he can sell floating around that was pulled from the beta that doesn't have The Last Word on it.

Given it seems to drop a lot in the raid for people compared to other exotics, it may be that's the main route they intend for people to find it.

Or this could be bullshit and he's there selling it on Friday to mock me.

Bizazedo

Exactly, anyone who can clear the raid should be able to clear Atheon legit much more consistently than trying to cheese him. I guess both ways are prone to various glitches/rng effects, etc...

Agreed, but the amount of cheese even getting TOO Atheon is hysterical as well.

I did think that was pretty shit because you shouldn't have to rely on other people to get a trophy, but then again you have to rely on the rest of your team not to get you killed the entire time anyway. With a good team, it's entirely achievable.

EL CUCO

When you're lvl 29-30 with a good team, dying isn't much of an issue in the firefights in Normal. It's the instant death Gorgon Maze and Platforming part that is the biggest challenge.

The fact that if something happens to someone else voids ME of the trophy makes me feel uneasy. One wrong jump, a fall off the ledge, a rocket gone wrong...lol

Given the nature of the Raid, it's high on my list of worst trophies ever.

I did think that was pretty shit because you shouldn't have to rely on other people to get a trophy, but then again you have to rely on the rest of your team not to get you killed the entire time anyway. With a good team, it's entirely achievable.

Lets be real here. It is shit.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

It's just more fun than cheesing. That's the main thing for me. It was the same with the loot cave. I am totally cool with people doing it (and I don't mind cheesing if I'm in a team that prefers it) but I play games for the challenge and the satisfaction from overcoming that challenge. I don't get why you would want to just skip as much as possible to get the loot. It can't be as satisfying as having earned it.

The loot cave was especially bad imo. I don't play the game to stand in front of a cave for hours. I want to have to move around, dodge things, shoot things, you know, play an FPS 😄

I think that's why I don't rage about RNG as much as others. I play this for the fun of the mechanics. I guess I'm a mechanic-orientated gamer, rather than a loot-driven one. Probably why I felt Diablo 3 was really shallow and requires no skill.

ethomaz

Banned

I think everybody needs to try.

It is not that easy to cheese him and I guess you need a bit of lucky too... except for yesterday that I did in the first try (with a great help from another played) and it was my first time (I tried a lot of times without success) the others times it took 1-2 hours to cheese.

Most of times the legit way will be faster.

lunlunqq

Not a bad haul last night. Did nightfall and a full normal raid with my main, both on vita via remote play. Got Plan C for the nightfall. The raid got gloves (already have), chest (alreadu have exotic chest pieces maxed), and Tjunderlord.

dB Viper

Cheesed Atheon and got shards and my 3rd sparrow. Argh.

Did Nightfall and got Legendary Scout "The Calling"... trash...

RNG was nice to me the past week. Not last night though.

Greenymac

At atheon hard checkpoint. Need two experienced raiders for that cheese. Oracle weapons to make it through portals is a plus. Add Greenymac on psn...

panick

Neo Member
Got the the Armamentarium Titan chest and my raid team is not available this week so I would like to try cheese Atheon once. Does anyone have a checkpoint on hard to share on PS4? :)

Agreed, but the amount of cheese even getting TOO Atheon is hysterical as well.

It's great when you find your own 'cheese' though....

Yesterday me and a team were trying to do the whole 'no Templar teleport' thing and were failing at it. Then half way through our next try im like fuck it and started nading him with radiance. Lo and behold I almost sent him off the edge. This isn't probably new or anything but the sense of accomplishment is awesome. (On our next run it was over in like half a minute. Too easy)

I had fun last night doing the raid for the first time with some fellow Gaffers.

Unfortunately, I didn't get jack squat. I mean, I can certainly use the legendary materials, but the only thing else I got was a ship. Ah well, at least it will be enough to get me to 28ish once I get the rest of the mats needed.

If any Raid groups are forming, please add me!

I'm playing with my Warlock alt. I've completed numerous Normal Raids and one successful Hard Raid (Only took us about 2 hours).

My alt is Lvl 27 but I've got fully upgraded VoC, Icebreaker, and a decent Heavy. I've completed the Normal Raid 3 times with my alt at 27, so there won't be any issue with carrying me or dying a lot.

PSN: Subtervotion

LiK

The fact that if something happens to someone else voids ME of the trophy makes me feel uneasy. One wrong jump, a fall off the ledge, a rocket gone wrong...lol

Given the nature of the Raid, it's high on my list of worst trophies ever.

Lets be real here. It is shit.

Also any glitches that cause a death for anyone is possible too. Sometimes some people die from absolutely NOTHING during Atheon fight. One time I died from an explosion from no where. Stupid glitches.

TTG

I still have a blast when people asks for a Thorn buff... they want to make it the best weapon on the game?

A lot of it is parroting sentiment and I'm basically in the same boat. Haven't given Thorn a real chance, yet I obsess over getting The Last Word. Also, it's probably the high level hand cannon everyone is most familiar with so it carries a lot of the gripes people have with primary weapons that are not an auto rifle in pvp in general.

Why are you shooting shielded knights with non arc weapons?
They are 26. Once their shields are down they die pretty quickly.

I did it solo without cheesing for the most part. I had to run around the arena a few times.
And at the last wave i had to run through the door.

Died only once because i tried to reach a cheese spot i saw in a video.

Kudos to you, great lord of Xyor strike. In your infinite wisdom you cunningly employed an arc sniper whilst I, the lazy dolt that I am, kept to my icebreaker upon seeing wizards with red shields. A mighty feat indeed, to finish solo and the only time you failed was when thwarted by evil cheesy ways? Brilliant.

Hosting a raid normal run today 4:30pm - 8:30pm eastern.

Any experienced players are welcome to join! Prefered lvl 27+. Apologies in advanced if it fills up before you can sign up.

Won't be on until after work so shoot me a PM here or message in the thread.

PSN id: TheCanisDirus

Bizazedo

Yesterday me and a team were trying to do the whole 'no Templar teleport' thing and were failing at it. Then HD way through our next try im like fuck it and started nading him with radiance. Lo and behold I almost sent him off the edge. This isn't probably new or anything but the sense of accomplishment is awesome. (On our next run it was over in like half a minute. Too easy)

Yeah, when someone first told me you could knock Templar off the edge, I was in disbelief. No way, says I, would that also be doable on Templar?!

Sure enough.....

I can honestly say there's only one part of the raid that I haven't seen cheese thus far (Gatekeepers) and even then I learned some cheese to avoid the snipers pre-opening of the first gate last night.

It's crazy.

*Splinter

It's just more fun than cheesing. That's the main thing for me. It was the same with the loot cave. I am totally cool with people doing it (and I don't mind cheesing if I'm in a team that prefers it) but I play games for the challenge and the satisfaction from overcoming that challenge. I don't get why you would want to just skip as much as possible to get the loot. It can't be as satisfying as having earned it.

The loot cave was especially bad imo. I don't play the game to stand in front of a cave for hours. I want to have to move around, dodge things, shoot things, you know, play an FPS 😄

I think that's why I don't rage about RNG as much as others. I play this for the fun of the mechanics. I guess I'm a mechanic-orientated gamer, rather than a loot-driven one. Probably why I felt Diablo 3 was really shallow and requires no skill.
Are you on PS4? And is your raid group full?

If yes and no (in that order), add me?
BOL-EvilSplinter
it's getting embarrassingly difficult to find a raid that isn't HM ATHEON CP CHEESE NEED WARLOCK

TTG

I'm guessing it's next. Then it's probably red death again, then gjallahorn.

You forgot the Suros. The day Xur's pattern for weapons restarts is gonna be bittersweet. I missed out on the Suros first time around, but it will also mean other stuff is off the table.

*Splinter

A lot of it is parroting sentiment and I'm basically in the same boat. Haven't given Thorn a real chance, yet I obsess over getting The Last Word. Also, it's probably the high level hand cannon everyone is most familiar with so it carries a lot of the gripes people have with primary weapons that are not an auto rifle in pvp in general.

Kudos to you, great lord of Xyor strike. In your infinite wisdom you cunningly employed an arc sniper whilst I, the lazy dolt that I am, kept to my icebreaker upon seeing wizards with red shields. A mighty feat indeed, to finish solo and the only time you failed was when thwarted by evil cheesy ways? Brilliant.
No need to be sarcastic, he was trying to help. Knights (always) have arc shields. Any half decent arc sniper will one hit kill them.

If you ever wanted the perfect example of how not to do raid loot, Destiny has you covered.

Did raids last night, everybody only gets shards. I get the same scout rifle that I'ev gotten twice before. No armor or anything new; only mats.

This game needs a mark type that you get for completing the raid to buy raid gear. There should also be a vendor where you can cash in ass shards/energy for these mark types so ppl that don't raid have access to the gear.

maaaaan, fuck this game lol

Yesterday me and a team were trying to do the whole 'no Templar teleport' thing and were failing at it. Then half way through our next try im like fuck it and started nading him with radiance. Lo and behold I almost sent him off the edge. This isn't probably new or anything but the sense of accomplishment is awesome. (On our next run it was over in like half a minute. Too easy)

was a fun run! :D

and as for the cheese vs legit, i think it's fine to abuse the ingame mechanics to defeat bosses quickly. And if everyone and their dog is doing it already, why go through the trouble of doing something the hard way when the rewards are still being randomized and based on luck. Running through the whole Raid is still satisfying and challenging.

Can't see them fixing these bosses without disabling their ability to fall down holes with invisible walls.

If you ever wanted the perfect example of how not to do raid loot, Destiny has you covered.

Did raids last night, everybody only gets shards. I get the same scout rifle that I'ev gotten twice before. No armor or anything new; only mats.

This game needs a mark type that you get for completing the raid to buy raid gear. There should also be a vendor where you can cash in ass shards/energy for these mark types so ppl that don't raid have access to the gear.

maaaaan, fuck this game lol

Would have been nice.

void666

Banned

Actually i had ice breaker for wizards and arc zombie apocalypse for knights. Worked out pretty well.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Are you on PS4? And is your raid group full?

If yes and no (in that order), add me?
BOL-EvilSplinter
it's getting embarrassingly difficult to find a raid that isn't HM ATHEON CP CHEESE NEED WARLOCK

LOL WTF N00B

Just to say again that I have nothing against cheesing!! Especially if it's a strike I've done 100000000 times, but yes, prefer normal gameplay muchly, especially on the raid as it has (imo) such cool mechanics and environments.

I don't really have a raid group. I play at irregular times so I just post here and see who fancies it. You're more than welcome to join though! I've done the normal this week (with a handy cheese. I am a hypocrite.) but not the hard yet. I'd like to do the hard with no cheese but first need to max out my atheon's epilogue and the raid gloves so I can get to 30. What level are you?

Zakalwe

Banned
In 50% of our raids someone has been disconnected.

In almost every run we've had glitches cause or almost cause wipes. From only 2 members being teleported, random explosions from nowhere, and even oracle wipes when all oracles were dead.

In the current clilmate I've no desire to put myself through the ordeal of a no death run. I have respect for anyone even attempting it on a regular basis. You cats are crazy.

Maledict

Again, Bungie are doing things other MMOs tried years ago and abandoned because it's a fundamentally flawed concept.

World of Warcraft had achievements tied to zero deaths in raid instances - for the first tier of Wrath of the Lich King, you even got a unique mount for doing it. They abandoned it as a concept later on because it was simply unfun - it makes you play in an unfun style, it makes you really dependent on others in an unfun way, and it also leaves you subject to the whims of random chance. We failed that achievement in Warcraft because on the very final boss, a player disconnected with the boss at 20% which meant he died.

Mind you, I think their entire concept of increasing difficulty through resurrection limits is utterly bonkers and needs removing. It is not a good way to make your game fun or challenging, it's just frustrating and annoying.

Midas

This almost happened to me and Aengerd the other week with sepiks NF. Each of us got kicked individually, though we were very lucky to all get back in before he died.

Damn that's brutal though.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever been kicked out of Destiny like that. Do we know what these errors mean?

was a fun run! :D

and as for the cheese vs legit, i think it's fine to abuse the ingame mechanics to defeat bosses quickly. And if everyone and their dog is doing it already, why go through the trouble of doing something the hard way when the rewards are still being randomized and based on luck. Running through the whole Raid is still satisfying and challenging.

Can't see them fixing these bosses without disabling their ability to fall down holes with invisible walls.

Yes it was :D

I would happily do stuff no cheese as long as I get good loot. Doing everything for a total of 12 shards is not worth the effort in my mind.

Bizazedo

Mind you, I think their entire concept of increasing difficulty through resurrection limits is utterly bonkers and needs removing. It is not a good way to make your game fun or challenging, it's just frustrating and annoying.

Eh, rez limits are fine. It's something Warcraft does to this very day. Balancing the raid around level damage penalties (level 29 versus a level 30) is the real crime in my opinion.

But to your other point, yes. The trophy is do-able, but it's still dumb.

Marvel

could never
Hmm, I don't think I've ever been kicked out of Destiny like that. Do we know what these errors mean?

Each codeword Bungie would understand and in time fix the issue relating to it. Getting so bad right now, it's weird the game launched without a hitch and for a few weeks I had no issues at all. Now? not so much, I get so many disconnects it's getting beyond irritating.

Oh and ruthless I'll be online soon, sorry for the wait I now have to pop down to the shops and grab some stuff. Won't be too long if you are still free for NF.

My plucky little Warlock just hit level 30. I was dreading farming 81 helium but I checked in my vault and lo and behold I already farmed that many for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom