• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodbury

checked destiny tracker. pretty abysmal except I am in the 10% for kill distance

Avg Kill Distance #3499 Top 10%

and just for fyi

K/D #18915 Top 49%
Games Top 23% #23842 (195 games of crucible played)
Hours Playing #12381 Top 31% #74515 (22.54 hours of crucible played)

Top 1% for Zones captured.
Top 48% for KDR, lol.

Top 3% for suicides. doh

realcZk

Yea there were 2 of us who had never done it, 2 who had gone through once, and 2 who had quite a bit of experience. It worked out really well and only took us about 3 hours to get through. No cheese involved except on the gate keeper where everyone shot him with a sniper rifle as soon as the door opened and he dropped after a couple of shots.

VoC seems like it will be great. However all my weapons are solar based now as I have an ice breaker and the swarm as well. First world problems I guess. Wizards aren't going to know what hit them

VoC is one of the best primary weapons in the game right now, and probably the best scout rifle in the game. Top tier primaries that are legendary for me are VoC and Fatebringer. Enjoy it!

Finally feeling pretty raid-ready, although I'm not sure. Level 27 Sunsinger. Problem is I'm on PS3 and don't have a mic - would anyone be willing to take me through tonight or this weekend? Really want to see the Raid. I've watched some videos, so I know the various stages, but I get a sense no mic is not appreciated plus most people seem to be on PS4. Any suggestions?

Ya need a mic

Zakalwe

Banned
Finally feeling pretty raid-ready, although I'm not sure. Level 27 Sunsinger. Problem is I'm on PS3 and don't have a mic - would anyone be willing to take me through tonight or this weekend? Really want to see the Raid. I've watched some videos, so I know the various stages, but I get a sense no mic is not appreciated plus most people seem to be on PS4. Any suggestions?

Any reason you can't buy a cheap mic to use? It would make your life a lot easier, especially when it seems it's already quite difficult grouping on ps3.

I'm sure there are people willing to run with you though. Joining a party and just following instructions is fine, we had a fellow gaffer who had to do this with us as his mic wasn't working correctly. Worked out fine.

broony

How much of s step up is the hard raid from normal? I should be 29 today or tomorrow and have fully upgraded legendary primary, nearly upgraded legendary void heavy and nearly upgraded icebreaker. Should that be enough?

Anybody use Praedyth's Revenge on Oracles? I see it does "bonus damage" to them.

Same bonus damage for all the raid weapons (assault rifle, scout rifle, shotty, etc.). P's Revenge is damn good, but Vision of Confluence is my go-to for the oracles. VoC is insanely good for the oracle phase strat where everyone stays at the back ledge behind the spawn area and snipes down. All 7 oracle spawns can be killed from there, only 1 person has to jump down to initiate it, and they can jump back up if they are slick about it.

spyder_ur

Any reason you can't buy a cheap mic to use? It would make your life a lot easier, especially when it seems it's already quite difficult grouping on ps3.

I'm sure there are people willing to run with you though. Joining a party and just following instructions is fine, we had a fellow gaffer who had to do this with us as his mic wasn't working correctly. Worked out fine.

I hear ya - this is the first time I've really ever gotten into a game this deep where I had a real need for a Mic. Would something like this suffice if I didn't plan to use it often?

hydruxo

How much of s step up is the hard raid from normal? I should be 29 today or tomorrow and have fully upgraded legendary primary, nearly upgraded legendary void heavy and nearly upgraded icebreaker. Should that be enough?

You'll be fine with that as long as you're 29. At 28 you don't do enough damage to be effective.

Yeah I see your point - I don't think the design of public events is that obtuse though, or if it is that is kind of the point. It does suck for it to be taking up a bounty slot though.
They have to be tracked through a third party website because, as far as I'm aware, they're never explained in the game and there would be no way of easily fulfilling that bounty without using that data to not waste hours running around without a clue as to where and when public events happen.

Why not just have Ghost comment about strange readings a couple minutes before an event occurs, with some call out to a general area? It would remove the aimless meandering and waiting from area to area, but still require people to be on the planet and actively travel to participate.

It feels designed to waste my time for no good reason.

spyder_ur

They have to be tracked through a third party website because, as far as I'm aware, they're never explained in the game and there would be no way of easily fulfilling that bounty without using that data to not waste hours running around without a clue as to where and when public events happen.

Why not just have Ghost comment about strange readings a couple minutes before an event occurs, with some call out to a general area? It would remove the aimless meandering and waiting from area to area, but still require people to be on the planet and actively travel to participate.

It feels designed to waste my time for no good reason.

That's a cool idea.

ocean

Banned
ID LOVE TO HELP!!!! but
#xboxmasterrace

:( i actually solo'd xyor after getting tired of waiting for a friend who kept saying theyd play only to get on and jump on trials fusion.....

if Destiny had a server switching solution, id have 4 copies of this game.
Thanks anyways! I Figure I'll catch someone on this thread eventually who's going for Xyor who I can go with.

Raxus

You'll be fine with that as long as you're 29. At 28 you don't do enough damage to be effective.

It helps a ton if you have effective weapons as well. Maxed out Icebreaker, Truth, Gjallahorn, Vision of Confluence, Fatebringer, The Last Word, Swarm, etc. all help swing things in your favor since you can compensate for the damage debuff you get for fighting enemies 1 level higher than you.

Maxing out your weapons, especially raid weapons and exotics like IB and Gjallahorn, is extremely important for hard raid. It's the biggest stumbling block I see when helping teams trying to do hard for the first time. The raid mechanics are exactly the same (except you can't revive anyone besides sunsinger self-res), the only difference is the damage scaling.

So what's best scout rifles and where to get ? I use the vanguard one now.

Vision of Confluence is a legendary raid drop with solar damage and an auto fire perk. By far my favorite: great for the raid, solar burn shields/nightfalls (suck it wizards), large PvP maps, and any general use.

Last night I got an invite from tittieWRECKA

Lol, okay that one makes me laugh.

Chitown B

got my very first Exotic drop last night after the Nightfall. Symboite helmet for Gunslinger Hunter. Unfortunately I use Blade Dancer, but at least it fit my character. Plus if I have to, I can get the chest/gauntlets from normal raid and level everything up to 30. Though I love my Raspberry chest.

My friend who was with my got the Mida Multi-Tool which I really wanted :(

Been playing 3-4 hours a night since launch. First Exotic drop. Really?

RNGesus continues to torture me.

All I've gotten in the raid so far is ascendent materials and arm bands...til last night when I got Atheon's Epilogue and Icebreaker...an AR and Sniper. The two weapon classes I never use.

Icebreaker looks like it'll be great for PvE but AE sucks. It's just ok in small maps but I wasn't impressed. It might be better once upgraded (haven't even really looked at what the upgrades are) but I don't know if I'll even bother.

Raxus

Maxing out your weapons, especially raid weapons and exotics like IB and Gjallahorn, is extremely important for hard raid. It's the biggest stumbling block I see when helping teams trying to do hard for the first time. The raid mechanics are exactly the same (except you can't revive anyone besides sunsinger self-res), the only difference is the damage scaling.

There are minor differences in the fights as well. Shields go out during the teleport in Atheon. There are a ton more in the legion phases of the Templar fight. Templar fight seems to have more enemies in general. There are probably more but I haven't bothered to compare aside from those notable exceptions.

Respawn positioning in this game is absolutely rubbish. Literally every time I came back in rumble I was 5m away from the person who killed me. Or, I kill someone, take a few steps and they respawn right it front of me.

ultron87

Of all the little annoying things in this game the one that currently bothers me the most is my A.1F19X-Ryl rifle's tooltip saying it has a 16 shot magazine when it actually only has 15.

phen0m24

First crack at the raid last night with some fantastic people. Hawkian, NarcissisticJay, Palom12, Union Carbine and wins1991 - thanks again, guys!!

RNG dropped me a Chatterwhite, Praedyth's Revenge, shards and ascendant energy. I'll take it. PR - low impact, but such a smooth fire rate and light recoil...

Gosh the raid was fun. I mean, like "fun" fun. I can see how people would not want to raid with randoms (after the experience I was privileged to be part of) - but I hope more people jump in and try it. Maybe I can help others the way these guys helped me one of these days!

If more of the game was like the raid...... Wow

Welfare

Let's play a game called "The most unfortunate/embarrassing PSN/Gamertag name you've seen in Destiny." My two nominations from this morning:

tossedcuhm and BigJIZZY

Who can beat those?

I don't know if it fits the criteria, but I met YOUALLMOSTGOTME.

Namikaze1

Trophies I need left for Platinum:
Relic Hunter - easy
Flawless Raider - could be done if it doesn't lag for us later
Strength of the Pack - need two from GAF Raiders for this
Ghost Hunter - again, easy with a guide (just need 20)
Hunter Mastery - need to create hunter first

Zakalwe

Banned
I hear ya - this is the first time I've really ever gotten into a game this deep where I had a real need for a Mic. Would something like this suffice if I didn't plan to use it often?

Any cheap mic that works on ps4 would be fine. That one has quite a few reviews stating it breaks easily or stops working, can you afford a little more to get one with slightly better reviews?

I've read you can use an iphone headset on the ps4, not sure if it works on ps3 too (if you have one).

This game really does come to life when you mic up with others. It's worth investing in a decent mic if you can, I'm pretty sure you'll find you'll want to be using the headset more often once you try it out a few times.

Respawn positioning in this game is absolutely rubbish. Literally every time I came back in rumble I was 5m away from the person who killed me. Or, I kill someone, take a few steps and they respawn right it front of me.

i lost a game last week because i was killed by a golden gun guy and spawned right behind him before his golden gun ran out.

was on burning shrine too :/

X-Frame

It helps a ton if you have effective weapons as well. Maxed out Icebreaker, Truth, Gjallahorn, Vision of Confluence, Fatebringer, The Last Word, Swarm, etc. all help swing things in your favor since you can compensate for the damage debuff you get for fighting enemies 1 level higher than you.

You use The Last Word in the raid? Hmm, I never thought it'd be PvE viable and that harder hitting and longer ranged handcannons would be a lot more effective.

LiK

Relic Hunter - easy

The problem with Ghost Hunter is I don't even remember which ones I found. Found a bunch from chance.

gdt

Anyone up for the Nightfall? I'm a 27 hunter...with only an rare fusion rifle with arc damage. Could play the safety medic. Probably need 2 pros to help me out.

ps4 gdt5016

Relic Hunter - easy

Oh I should join GAF Raiders. Could get two trophies in one go on our no death run later.

Zakalwe

Banned

All I've gotten in the raid so far is ascendent materials and arm bands...til last night when I got Atheon's Epilogue and Icebreaker...an AR and Sniper. The two weapon classes I never use.

Icebreaker looks like it'll be great for PvE but AE sucks. It's just ok in small maps but I wasn't impressed. It might be better once upgraded (haven't even really looked at what the upgrades are) but I don't know if I'll even bother.

AE doesn't suck. Far from it.

It's amazing for raid (oracles and praetorians, normal and hard) and any event with void burn it melts things. It's niche, but it is very strong within its niche.

It's great you got this, it's a tool you'll find extremely useful if you use it at the right times. Don't bother with it in pvp.

What's Gaf's opinion on Atheon going to randomly tele 3 people instead of 3 farthest back?

Mixed.

We'll manage.

Raid weapons are good. I don't have the epilogue but every other raid weapon I've used has been amazing

ocean

Banned
Relic Hunter - easy
Same list for me except I have Strength of the Pack. I got it after doing the all-clan Raid. We split up into two groups for a quick Devil's Lair run, it was quick and easy.

I'll have to make a Hunter eventually so that trophy I'll get for sure. The Salvage one is easy I just need to focus on it next time it's up. The ghosts can be tedious but whatever.

Flawless Raider though? Seriously don't know how I'll do that one.

Holy shit I am going to fucking kill my ISP.

Tuesday night, me and two friends get to Phogoth on Nightfall. My friends tell me my voice is starting to break up, and shortly after I am DC'ed. Join up, play for a few mins, DC'ed. Asked them to wait while I reset my router, but my buddy's friend, who didn't have a mic, went ahead and killed Phogoth (this is after I led them there using strategies via Reddit).

Okay, frustrating.

Last night, I try again, this time with two friends of my own. We get to Phogoth--same thing starts happening. I tell them PLEASE do not beat the boss while I try to get this shit sorted out. Reboot router, reboot Xbox, join, seems okay for a bit--but then DC'ed again. I ask them if they can just wait until Phogoth is ALMOST dead, then I'll join and we can kill him, so I can just get this over with.

Which we do. Phogoth is killed, and the countdown to orbit starts.

13 seconds from orbit, I get DC'ed.

Pray to god that I get credit--and of course, I didn't.

tl;dr: Weird ISP timeouts (I called after and they confirmed I was getting weird disconnects and my upload rate dropped from 5Mbps to .6Mbps) have caused me to miss out on credit for killing Phogoth two nights in a row.

Also, if you don't make it to orbit, you apparently don't get credit for beating the Strike.

Oh, and an hour later? Upload speed returns to normal, which has me worried that our repair guy is gonna be like "Welp, looks fine to me!" and I'm going to have to go through this shit again.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

It's a good bit harder because you can hurt your team in two major ways, basically. If you die, then it's a huge hit to the team because they are down a man. But more importantly, and the bigger issue really, is that if you don't hold your own and kill your mobs fast enough or you're always hiding to recover your health and letting your designated area get over run, then your teammates are going to have to deal with that many more mobs. I had a run last week where my teammate just kept hiding. Sure, he wasn't the first to die - bravo! But I can't be left alone! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom