• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Titans have it easiest when it comes to the jumping puzzle. You can just glide the whole way across. Believe me, I'm almost always the last person across so I have my troubles with that stupid puzzle. Except on my titan. Just glideeeee.

Wait, which jetpack perk do you use for it and which platform do you do this at? I MUST KNOW.

Raxus

Hoping Xur has Gjalla-heezy for sale.

No Last Word. Don't need PvP infested with that ish like when the SUROS was sold.

Unlikely. His rotation this week has to be a primary if previous weeks trends are to be believed.

I have my fingers crossed for Hawkmoon/Midi multitool
Wait, which jetpack perk do you use for it and which platform do you do this at? I MUST KNOW.

I'd like to know too because warlocks can do the same.

Increased Control. I made it across without using any of the vanishing platforms.

I actually find it's best to use your boost earlier in the jump, when you're higher, as it recharges by the time you get closer and you can get another boost in to slow down and/or reach the ledge if you haven't gone far enough.

Best shotgun IMO. Faster reload than Invective. I use it all the time in PvP.

Seconded. If your Crucible play style involves using shotguns, look no further.

Fucking raid weapons. Never disappoint

i've heard ok things, but i've gotten 2, and discarded both of them. not going to use a shotty in the raid unless its Invective, and only for destroying containment shields. outside of the raid though im not sure why you would use it either. I'm a little dissapointed by shotguns in PvE in general, besides invective and i've heard great things about universal remote and i really want one but overall they need to do more damage. they're not worth the risk on harder activities.

3 out of 4 gaffers agree... Sounds like it's worth holding onto. Not a big PvP'r and usually not a shotgunner when I do but I'll work on levelling it-- always nice to have another good tool in the arsenal and, though I have Invective, I've been running Suros mostly so I can equip it with Suros. Thanks for the knowledge.

Titans have it easiest when it comes to the jumping puzzle. You can just glide the whole way across. Believe me, I'm almost always the last person across so I have my troubles with that stupid puzzle. Except on my titan. Just glideeeee.

Has anyone here just tried to actually run the platforms? Is it actually challenging at all?

I was shown how to cheat that section the very first time, and that's all I've done since. Next time I go through, I'm going to try it legit. Chances are Bungie will fix it soon anyway.

Dante316

Bought The Devil You Know from the Vanguard last night. Probably a waste of marks, I have many handcannons and a void machinegun or something probably would have been more helpful.

Anyway, it's pretty good. Currently have Timur's Lash, Devil You Know, Lord High Fixer, Thorn. I really need Hawkmoon and The Last Word. They seem like the best handcannons by far.

Fatebringer is in the mix with top 3 hc. Can only be gotten from hard raid and has arc damage.

Kei-

I wish you could dismantle straight from the postmaster screen, I have a lot of duplicate shaders in there I still need to take out.

I had 5 shaders at the postmaster and got a second Cytherean Bloom from a tiger strike and it never showed up at the postmaster. Had I been able to delete from the postmaster, I wouldn't have had 5 sitting in there for this weird glitch to happen.

I actually wanted that second one for my titan too.

The maze is simple if you have a good leader guiding you. But yea, I hate the platforming section. Way too easy to eff that up as a Titan especially.

I won't make an alt until Expansion comes out. If I need to replay stuff, that would be a good time to do it.

I find the jumping section really easy.

I'm sure everyone knows already but you can jump down onto the ledge from the first or second platform, then when you get to the parts where you can fall off (easy to see by the damage to the walking area) turn facing the wall and jump to the side. The momentum carries you forward too so you shouldn't fall.

Or as a lock with advanced control glide, jet pack Titan with increased control, or a blade dancer hunter just go straight across :p

Ikkarus

What's the best way to get in to Raids? Never tried it before but well aware of what needs to be done in each section, well as good as YouTube can tell me at least!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bahaha, when did you get your tag?
Dat tag. Well deserved, Hawkian
8) thanks guys. apparently I got it two weeks ago but no one noticed because I haven't posted much at all in that time frame.

All back to normal now, muahahahah. Much Destiny will be had tonight. Much indeed.
Hawkian and crew, we raiding tonight? No one is on yet.
Hehe, sorry for the awkward start. Big thanks to ColonelOCorn for hopping in and having a pretty darn awesome first run. Wasn't even the last one to make it past the disappearing platforms ;D

We did two major things differently strategy-wise lase night:
  • Cheesed the Templar. While this was kind of fun and hilarious, I hope you guys don't mind if we do it our normal way some of the time in the future; I actually really like the fight as designed. For one thing, it certainly didn't save time- he hit his enrage timer after all. For another, I don't think it actually got us any extra loot, did it? Was doing that what allowed us to get the extra chest? And finally, from where I was standing, it really looked like the only grenades that actually did what we needed them to were the Sunsinger solar grenades, which means that Carbine technically soloed him XD
  • Did both Gatekeeper portals at the same time. This was awesome and I'm really glad we stuck with it despite initial failures. It was also sort of a cool primer for when Atheon starts teleporting all of us randomly. I forgot to mention this, but we'll want to designate 3 relic holders and 3 non-holders- because there will always be a 100% chance that at least one relic holder gets teleported in.

I had to adjust my own strategy to take down the Gatekeeper as a twosome, which meant stowing Hawkmoon and busting out Gjallarhorn- which, since we rolled right into killing Atheon after without wiping, means I had the same setup for him too. I didn't realize until jumping into the center for our first damage phase... Full disclosure, I risked our one-and-done with him by shooting rockets from the bubble. I tried to stay as far forward and away from the rest of you as possible and luckily it went ok. But... it does so much fucking damage to him you guys omg. I can't go back. From now on, I'm gonna be an outside-the-bubble person and fire them Wolfpack rounds from safety, it's beyond worth it. We didn't even have Weapons of Light going...
Standing by.
aw, I sent you a party invite as I went down the list but it appeared you already had entered some raid or another :)
I think I've finally found the perfect setup for my Titan in PvP:[/IMG]
this build sounds terrifying. armamentarium is giving you extra ammo for gjallarhorn too. hold me

general question for you guys:

is 2500-5000 xp worth stressing over? if there's a bounty that's taking too long, worth little points or going to drastically alter my playing style, i just don't pick it up. next day will either have something better or more of the same and i'll apply the same thinking.

if i need to hit the next tier of a weapon or level up an alt right then and there, i can see why i might want to do everything. but after spending a couple hours chasing events for the last gold star, i realized i could have ranked up anywhere else in that amount of time.

after i decided to give up on it, i spawned in a public event on my way to a strike.
it's funny... for as much time as I spend thinking about this game... sometimes there are things that still don't occur to me. I feel dumb for not thinking about this before but I must be looking at bounties really differently than a lot of people. sometimes I go after bounty requirements specifically- namely anything that can be done in under a minute by waking the hive or the specific mission relpays- but most of the time, I fill up my bar with them and then just... sort of forget about them. As I play they eventually get completed and when a few have been completed I go and turn them in and get more. I'm just realizing that the idea of having a bounty stay incomplete on your bar until the next day is probably troubling to some people, but it's the case for me plenty of the time and I have no problem with it.

The "3 Public Events" bounty is a perfect example. I don't get it and then go hunting for three public events in a row for the next hour. It just means that whenever I complete my third public event subsequent to having taken it, I'll get rewarded for it, even if that's the next day or whenever it happens to be.

Has anyone here just tried to actually run the platforms? Is it actually challenging at all?

I was shown how to cheat that section the very first time, and that's all I've done since. Next time I go through, I'm going to try it legit. Chances are Bungie will fix it soon anyway.

Same here--I was told to just jump the chasm and didn't try the platforms.

LordofPwn

Unlikely. His rotation this week has to be a primary if previous weeks trends are to be believed.

Can't be Hawkmoon. I'm hoping for universal remote or thunderlord

What's the fastest way for an experienced team to take down the gatekeepers phase, pre-Atheon?
5 people go into 1 portal, everyone fires 1 rocket, 4 people leave right after firing, 1 person grabs relic, leaves and goes to mid. 4 people go into 2nd portal fire a rocket, 3 leave and help mid. last person left finishes off gatekeeper and grabs the 2nd relic, then everyone protects mid.

Hoodbury

What's the best way to get in to Raids? Never tried it before but well aware of what needs to be done in each section, well as good as YouTube can tell me at least!

Post in this thread that you want to join one. Or monitor this thread for when people are posting that they are looking for people to join. There's usually multiple posts per page of people looking to do the raid or looking for people to join for the raid.

joecanada

Depends on your preferred weapon type?

Hand Cannon: Devil You Know, followed by Lord High Fixer (New Monarchy)
Auto Rifle: Shadow Price
Scout Rifle: Either Vanguard rifle is good for different reasons. Both are great weapons in current game state.
Pulse Rifles: Meh, don't bother.

Overall: Probably Shadow Price. Followed by Devil.

Shadow Price is just excellent all around, only weakness is the smaller clip size (25).

grim citizen works great in pvp , crucible gear.
lord high fixer is also sold by crucible vendor...

to answer an earlier question , my preferred loadout...

Grim Citizen / Monte Carlo - despite what most say, monte carlo is great with heavy rounds (stun locks all opponents), and monte carlo method.....i prefer it in close range.
Icebreaker - it's the no ammo thing.
zombie apocolypse - I used to use steel oracle but man those machine guns are just too cool ...

3 out of 4 gaffers agree... Sounds like it's worth holding onto. Not a big PvP'r and usually not a shotgunner when I do but I'll work on levelling it-- always nice to have another good tool in the arsenal and, though I have Invective, I've been running Suros mostly so I can equip it with Suros. Thanks for the knowledge.

Best part about raid weapons is you don't have the restrictions exotics have

LiK

Increased Control. I made it across without using any of the vanishing platforms.

I actually find it's best to use your boost earlier in the jump, when you're higher, as it recharges by the time you get closer and you can get another boost in to slow down and/or reach the ledge if you haven't gone far enough.

Which ledge do you do this at?

I do increased height and jump from the upper part of the 2nd disappearing platform. Have made it that way everytime.

I'll try this.

I find the jumping section really easy.

I'm sure everyone knows already but you can jump down onto the ledge from the first or second platform, then when you get to the parts where you can fall off (easy to see by the damage to the walking area) turn facing the wall and jump to the side. The momentum carries you forward too so you shouldn't fall.

Huh, seems advanced. I need a video demonstration.

Zakalwe

Banned

It probably won't ever be Hawkmoon until the ps4 exclusivity deal is up.

There's a list of all potential items Xur can sell that was apprently datamined, can't search for it while at work. Maybe someone can post it for you.

What's the fastest way for an experienced team to take down the gatekeepers phase, pre-Atheon?

Person 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

4, 5, 6 Control left sync plate
1, 2, 3 Go into left portal and get Gatekeeper health down to 10%
1, 2, 3 Leave Portal
1-6 All shift to right side
4, 5, 6, Control Right sync plate
1, 2, 3 Go into right portal and Kill Gate Keeper.
1 Grabs Relic from right Portal
1, 2, 3 Leave Right portal
1 Goes to mid
4, 5, 6 Shift back to left sync Plate
2, 3 Go into Left Portal, kill Gatekeeper.
2 Grabs Left Relic
2, 3 Leave right portal
1-6 All meet up in Middle

If done right, those last 6 steps should take no longer than 15 seconds.

Deku Tree

8) thanks guys. apparently I got it two weeks ago but no one noticed because I haven't posted much at all in that time frame.

All back to normal now, muahahahah. Much Destiny will be had tonight. Much indeed.

Hehe, sorry for the awkward start. Big thanks to ColonelOCorn for hopping in and having a pretty darn awesome first run. Wasn't even the last one to make it past the disappearing platforms ;D

We did two major things differently strategy-wise lase night:
  • Cheesed the Templar. While this was kind of fun and hilarious, I hope you guys don't mind if we do it our normal way some of the time in the future; I actually really like the fight as designed. For one thing, it certainly didn't save time- he hit his enrage timer after all. For another, I don't think it actually got us any extra loot, did it? Was doing that what allowed us to get the extra chest? And finally, from where I was standing, it really looked like the only grenades that actually did what we needed them to were the Sunsinger solar grenades, which means that Carbine technically soloed him XD
  • Did both Gatekeeper portals at the same time. This was awesome and I'm really glad we stuck with it despite initial failures. It was also sort of a cool primer for when Atheon starts teleporting all of us randomly. I forgot to mention this, but we'll want to designate 3 relic holders and 3 non-holders- because there will always be a 100% chance that at least one relic holder gets teleported in.

I had to adjust my own strategy to take down the Gatekeeper as a twosome, which meant stowing Hawkmoon and busting out Gjallarhorn- which, since we rolled right into killing Atheon after without wiping, means I had the same setup for him too. I didn't realize until jumping into the center for our first damage phase... Full disclosure, I risked our one-and-done with him by shooting rockets from the bubble. I tried to stay as far forward and away from the rest of you as possible and luckily it went ok. But... it does so much fucking damage to him you guys omg. I can't go back. From now on, I'm gonna be an outside-the-bubble person and fire them Wolfpack rounds from safety, it's beyond worth it. We didn't even have Weapons of Light going...

aw, I sent you a party invite as I went down the list but it appeared you already had entered some raid or another :)

this build sounds terrifying. armamentarium is giving you extra ammo for gjallarhorn too. hold me

it's funny... for as much time as I spend thinking about this game... sometimes there are things that still don't occur to me. I feel dumb for not thinking about this before but I must be looking at bounties really differently than a lot of people. sometimes I go after bounty requirements specifically- namely anything that can be done in under a minute by waking the hive or the specific mission relpays- but most of the time, I fill up my bar with them and then just... sort of forget about them. As I play they eventually get completed and when a few have been completed I go and turn them in and get more. I'm just realizing that the idea of having a bounty stay incomplete on your bar until the next day is probably troubling to some people, but it's the case for me plenty of the time and I have no problem with it.

The "3 Public Events" bounty is a perfect example. I don't get it and then go hunting for three public events in a row for the next hour. It just means that whenever I complete my third public event subsequent to having taken it, I'll get rewarded for it, even if that's the next day or whenever it happens to be.

In response to the bolded part, preventing the Templar from teleporting is what everyone says gets you the extra chest... but the extra chest I've only heard contains Ascendant materials anyway. You can prevent the Templar from teleporting by standing in the location where he plans to teleport but this spawns Pretorians. If you cheese him with grenades he doesn't teleport so you get the extra chest.

Any grenade that does damage over time will cause the templar to move back. It doesn't have to be the SunBro's solar grenade. The other classes have grenades like that too I think. If several people are hitting his shield with such grenades then he will fall off before he hits his enrage timer.

Raxus

I do it all the time. It is super easy.

I often joke that people that can't do it legit should buy a WiiU and Super Mario 3D World to work on their platforming skills.

E92 M3

1, 2, 3 Control left sync plate
4, 5, 6 Go into left portal and get Gatekeeper health down to 10%
4, 5, 6 Leave Portal
1 Goes to mid
2 Grabs Left Relic
2, 3 Leave right portal

The margin of error in that strategy is too high, in my opinion. It's valid for some teams, but I prefer attacking two portals at once or doing it via the classic way since I can hold center on my own.

Wait, it was delayed? Wasn't it only ever said to be "this week"...?

i.e.

I must have missed something

Well, it was logical for it to be out by Tuesday and like you quoted it was supposed to be this week. We'll see though. I guess Friday it might come out.

i've heard ok things, but i've gotten 2, and discarded both of them. not going to use a shotty in the raid unless its Invective, and only for destroying containment shields. outside of the raid though im not sure why you would use it either. I'm a little dissapointed by shotguns in PvE in general, besides invective and i've heard great things about universal remote and i really want one but overall they need to do more damage. they're not worth the risk on harder activities.

I have Universal Remote and I tried using it once in PVE and was so disappointed by its shitty range. It was post shotgun nerf patch so maybe that's why. Way to go Bungie

patchday

got my very first Exotic drop last night after the Nightfall. Symboite helmet for Gunslinger Hunter. Unfortunately I use Blade Dancer, but at least it fit my character. Plus if I have to, I can get the chest/gauntlets from normal raid and level everything up to 30. Though I love my Raspberry chest.

My friend who was with my got the Mida Multi-Tool which I really wanted :(

Been playing 3-4 hours a night since launch. First Exotic drop. Really?

With all do respect and love to my fellow gaffer (not trying to be a smarty-pants):

I would have loved to see you guys play vanilla WoW with me back in the day. I never saw their equivalent of an exotic drop in probably over a year of playing

Greenymac

Bought The Devil You Know from the Vanguard last night. Probably a waste of marks, I have many handcannons and a void machinegun or something probably would have been more helpful.

Anyway, it's pretty good. Currently have Timur's Lash, Devil You Know, Lord High Fixer, Thorn. I really need Hawkmoon and The Last Word. They seem like the best handcannons by far.

Dude, The Devil You Know is a BADASS weapon.... I got mine from a drop, so I think it has a little better perks than the vanguard one.

Rixxan

Lucked out and got a Fatebringer which helped with the Nightfall this week

But how good is this thing really?

Feels pretty similar to the Lord High Fixer

Re: The Raid Jumping Puzzle

I go to the far right ledge as you enter the room. From there I wait until a platform appears ahead and below me. I run and jump out but I don't aim for that platform. I aim ahead of it to a second platform that will appear once I'm in the air. I hit that platform and immediately jump off (the timing is such it's close to disappearing as I land) and get to the other side.

I honestly have much more trouble with the skinny ledge on the far side than I have getting across. Not sure what my problem is but I almost always goof up there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In response to the bolded part, preventing the Templar from teleporting is what everyone says gets you the extra chest... but the extra chest I've only heard contains Ascendant materials anyway. You can prevent the Templar from teleporting by standing in the location where he plans to teleport but this spawns Pretorians. If you cheese him with grenades he doesn't teleport so you get the extra chest.

Any grenade that does damage over time will cause the templar to move back. It doesn't have to be the SunBro's solar grenade. The other classes have grenades like that too I think. If several people are hitting his shield with such grenades then he will fall off before he hits his enrage timer.
Oooh. I see. Thanks for the info. Well extra ascendant stuff isn't horrible. I hope we can still do it legit sometimes, it's fun!

As for the grenades... Gunslinger incendiary deeeeefinitely didn't make him move. Voidwalker's and Striker's pulse ones most likely do work, but I don't think we had anyone in the party using either one, so it was kinda all on Carbine :p
Lucked out and got a Fatebringer which helped with the Nightfall this week

But how good is this thing really?

Feels pretty similar to the Lord High Fixer
It's a hand cannon with arc damage and you just used it in this week's nightfall, you should know pretty much exactly how good it is -_- LHF will be the better choice for PvP.

Deku Tree

I am looking to get a hard raid group together for tonight at approximately 8:45pm or 9pm EST. (Unfortunately I can't do it before that...) I play as a level 29 Warlock... waiting for my RAID Boots to drop to get to level 30.

Would like to find players level 29 and 30 with upgraded legendary and exotic weapons. Experience with the Hard Raid is a plus. I have cleared all parts of the hard raid before.

Reply to this post, or send me a PM if you want to join. I will check this thread a few times throughout the day.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Which ledge do you do this at?

I don't ever touch any disappearing platform. Whenever you walk into the room, just jump down to the right - there should be 3 platforms you can jump to. From the third one, just run and jump across and glide. Right before you land, tap the jump again to land softly.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

1, 2, 3 Control left sync plate
4, 5, 6 Go into left portal and get Gatekeeper health down to 10%
4, 5, 6 Leave Portal

1 Goes to mid
2 Grabs Left Relic
2, 3 Leave right portal

Why should everyone leave the portal? 5 and 6 could do it while 4 kills the gatekeeper and grabs the relic. We just did this and it worked out well.

The margin of error in that strategy is too high, in my opinion. It's valid for some teams, but I prefer attacking two portals at once or doing it via the classic way since I can hold center on my own.

I've done this method twice on Normal. Never had any issue. What kind of errors have you seen?

Hawkmoon is not "by far" the best hand cannon. It's a good hand cannon but there are legendaries that are just as good. For starters it kicks like a motherfucker and also has that stupid attachment rail thing around the sights that prohibit your view enough to make it not as effective for quick headshots imo. It's a great hand cannon but i don't think it's as good as everyone thinks. I have devil you know and lord high fixer and they're both pretty bad ass

Grimsen

As for the grenades... Gunslinger incendiary deeeeefinitely didn't make him move. Voidwalker's and Striker's pulse ones most likely do work, but I don't think we had anyone in the party using either one, so it was kinda all on Carbine :p

Weird, sunsinger DOT grenades worked great for us last night to push the Templar off.

Mattiator

I just wanted to shout out to all the great people I have met through here who have helped me with questions, raids and everything else. I haven't had a negative experience and have met some great people.
also thanks to hawkian for your awesome guides.
Stay classy destinygaf :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom