• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonie

Anyone experiencing random drops from the game world? Like keep getting disconnected during daily heroic at the same spot in mission time after time
If you're on PSN, I'm pretty sure it's wonky at the moment. I can't even load a character or view my friends list.

Nebula

Yeah, let's take away legitimate strategies now.

ibh7X8pJt7mkKY.gif

Entire game has to be RNG then huh? I might be trading this in sooner than I thought.

darthbob

LOL, what?!

Here's the relevant portion. Bolded responses are from Luke.

Do you think that'd be a good reason for people to replay the raid? That it's going to be harder, so they can't use the tricks they used to use?

I think that some of it is just making sure that… there's this one way for us to talk about this where it feels like we're making something harder, but in the case of making fixes to the raid, they have the side effect of making the encounter harder, but they also make the encounter meet the stated goal for a given encounter.

So to talk loosely about the final encounter for the raid, in the encounter, our goal was to have an encounter where each player in your raid needed to be able to do each job from the entire raid. So, to allow players to have some freedom over choosing or selecting who's going to do what job, while that's strategically interesting, and it's led to a bunch of really cool strategies, it actually doesn't align with the goal for the encounter. So that is an example of a case where we would make a change.

Okay, so you're talking about the fact that three people can get farther away from Atheon and always get teleported.

Yeah.

Neuro

If you're on PSN, I'm pretty sure it's wonky at the moment. I can't even load a character or view my friends list.

Destiny servers seem to be down yet again... this is the 2nd time this week...Come on man, dont make your game always online if you cant handle stuff...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A week before Xur sold Gjallahorn, I got one from a Heavy Weapon engram. Since then, I dismantle any rockets I get cause none shall ever match that beast.
IF you like rocket launchers in general in Destiny, I recommend you keep one decent Void and Arc in your arsenal in addition. They really do mondo damage to bosses during burns.

So lets take a second to talk about this:

And by this, I mean the perk: Armor Piercing Rounds.

Naturally, when I first unlocked this ability, I assumed (as most of you probably did) that it meant that I can shoot through one enemy into another. This is true, you can do this. You'll see other weapons out there with the same perk. I've personally found a Fusion Rifle and an Auto Rifle with the same perk.

However, this perk seems to impact Sniper in a way that the other weapons do not benefit from. Namely: IT CAN SHOOT THROUGH WALLS!

I've been getting a lot of messages lately about my hacking skills in Crucible. You see, I play a lot of control, and it's become very easy to defend a point from a mile away, when you can shoot through walls. Naturally, windows are my favorite. I can shoot directly into C from the B turret on First Light. I can shoot through the Rock providing cover at B on Shores of Time, if I'm behind the heavy ammo spawn.

I was planning on uploading a video for you guys to see this, but my PS4 isn't cooperating. Now, I'm not sure if Snipers are supposed to be able to do this or not. I can tell you that it is incredibly fun standing outside the window at A on the Moon, dancing at the enemy in an effort to make them dance as well, only to then pop them right in the head through the wall.

Now with Video:
http://youtu.be/kMeRQgvlsa8

Highlights at:
6:10
8:15
11:35

Very sorry about video quality.

Palmer_v1

Gjallarhorn isn't getting nerfed. a nerf to ice breaker's ammo is more believable.

Makes sense now that everyone has one. Maybe this is their secret to fixing the "economy". Make us spend our coins on shit that will then get nerfed, so we have to spend more coins on the next best thing.

I'm looking to join a raid group on Xbox One. I'm available to play from about an hours time and able to play for 6 or so hours.
Having no luck on destinylfg so I'm reaching out to Gaf.
Never ran the Raid but I'm a good player, have a headset and I'm a level 28 voidwalker

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Gjallarhorn isn't getting nerfed. a nerf to ice breaker's ammo is more believable.

I can see it now.

"Shooting at bosses behind cover with an infinite ammo sniper isn't our vision for how Destiny is played. No backpack is being replaced by a stability perk."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Makes sense now that everyone has one. Maybe this is their secret to fixing the "economy". Make us spend our coins on shit that will then get nerfed, so we have to spend more coins on the next best thing.
ice breaker would still be an amazing exotic without the ability to provide infinite ammo to any special weapon in your inventory.

goonie

Destiny servers seem to be down yet again... this is the 2nd time this week...Come on man, dont make your game always online if you cant handle stuff...
Seriously. There's plenty of stuff I could do on my own offline and it wouldn't take away from the "experience."

4 weeks of raiding and no VoC for me yet :(

In fact, my very first raid weapon drop was the Vex Mythoclast last week.

RNG hates me

Got mine a day before the nerf went live. So much fun in the crucible and raid.

Players still quit if they see you using the Vex in pvp.

I thought VoC was an Exotic. I assumed wrong! I can get two Vex Mytho from Raid but have yet to even get VoC once. I rather have that right now.
Its all anecdotal. Im personally waiting on Atheons Epilogue. Its super common but I dont have it yet. I have every other normal raid weapon.

Quickest non-cheese Atheon kill ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKEaGBHVW4

This has probably because a top priority over at Bungie right now. Next week's update: "We wanted the end battle for Vault of Glass to feel like an actual battle. Now, if you defeat Atheon too quickly, we'll boot your entire team to orbit and randomly dismantle a piece of gear."

EDIT: Luke's quote from that Kotaku article:

we're trying to introduce you to different verbs, and the natural extension of that as you get further into the raid is to ask you to combine all of those verbs together over the final culminating battle.

Haha, I specifically remember an episode of 1UP Yours where a guy from Shadowrun used this exact same example when talking about the game, and the guys would not stop making fun of him (can't remember if Luke made fun of this, too, or just Garnet). Funny how things change!

darthbob

MY-WAY-OR-THE-HIGHWAY.jpg

Didn't know there was a do and don't list for this raid.

I didn't realize that what seemed like a completely valid strategy was an 'exploit'. :-/

Like really, how difficult was it to determine that the three people who are the farthest from Atheon are the ones who are getting teleported? Then, wouldn't it make sense to plan around that?

smh

Neuro

PS4 servers down?

PSN seems to be working Destiny on the other hand well no luck....anyway have been looking for people to play with am terribly bored of doing the vangaurd strikes....anyone there for nightfall, VOG or Heroic at 27-28?

I am a Lv 27 voidwalker fully upgraded with a decent sunsinger upgrade as well... PSN id niles2812

I didn't realize that what seemed like a completely valid strategy was an 'exploit'. :-/

Like really, how difficult was it to determine that the three people who are the farthest from Atheon are the ones who are getting teleported? Then, wouldn't it make sense to plan around that?

smh
Does Bungie have a testing team? Feels like we're the testers.

The amount of stuff Bungie didn't think players would do for this raid is getting pretty long.

And your right I thought we were supposed to do that. Didn't even think that was a cheese strat.

Why do they keep forcing people to play it their way. Just make the game based on QTEs.

Seriously man. This is one of the biggest reasons why I'm gonna stop playing this game. People use their minds and figure out strategies to defeat bosses and shit but no, not okay with Bungie. Let's make them play our way.

Bizazedo

God forbid you wanted to play a game you bought your way.

Nope Bungie's way or the highway.

No strategies allowed only RNG forever.

I was all-set to argue with you, but then I realized he was discussing changing the way Atheon currently works....and you're right.

It's OKAY to have the raid randomly pick people to teleport. That's fine. That's less telling you how to play and more just, y'know, making an encounter. The raid currently picks the three farthest, though, and that seems intentional.

But, here? Atheon? Seeing people develop strategies to it and nerfing / changing it for....what reasons? Luke's seem pretty invalid and it really does seem like he / Bungie are annoyed VoG is getting crushed as fast as it is.

Why do they keep forcing people to play it their way. Just make the game based on QTEs.

Raids need rules or challenges. In principle, having an encounter randomly pick three to teleport is not a bad thing.

What's bad here is that it's a current encounter with no indication it was bugged. It seemed logical and part of the challenge to have the teams be ready and strategize around the 3 farthest people.

It's very akin to the "Our bosses are bullet sponges? From Alpha and Beta, to? Oh, WE FOUND A BUG" bullshit from earlier. It doesn't make sense.

Does Bungie have a testing team? Feels like we're the testers.

The amount of stuff Bungie didn't think players would do for this raid is getting pretty long.

It's getting downright embarrassing for them. Probably in both ways, how fast "THIS RAID IS HARDEST EVER 14 HOURS LOLOMG" it actually fell and was put on farm status and how many things they missed.

Anyone read the VoG Q&A with lukems?

One thing that struck me as odd was that apparently Bungie doesn't like the idea that people 'choose' to be teleported as the 'away' team during the Atheon fight. Sounds like they're going to add some randomness to that in the future. :-/

Fuck Bungie a thousand times. I'm repeating myself there, but they really have no clue how to make an enjoyable game. Even a difficult game like Dark Souls lets players cheese its bosses and exploit its flaws.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

One thing that struck me as odd was that apparently Bungie doesn't like the idea that people 'choose' to be teleported as the 'away' team during the Atheon fight. Sounds like they're going to add some randomness to that in the future. :-/

I'm out if they do this. Kill that noise, Bungie.

Fuck Bungie a thousand times. I'm repeating myself there, but they really have no clue how to make an enjoyable game. Even a difficult game like Dark Souls lets player cheese its bosses and exploit its flaws.

VoG was much more fun than I expected, and now I see why - it wasn't actually as they intended.

E92 M3

I have fully upgraded my Mythoclast now, and its nowhere near the power of an non upgraded mythoclast pre Nerf...

I know the mythoclast was OP but this nerf is bullshit!

I am sure they will revert it back eventually, but as of right now it sucks balls.

If anymore weapons get nerfed, I'm just going to quit.

I will not be fan of that change. Best to hurry up and get that no-death achievement from the raid. Unfortunately, I feel like it will haunt me for quite a while.

Heel

But, here? Atheon? Seeing people develop strategies to it and nerfing / changing it for....what reasons? Luke's seem pretty invalid and it really does seem like he / Bungie are annoyed VoG is getting crushed as fast as it is.

"Gotta keep them playing until December...uh, add more fuckery!"

My dislike for Bungie grows more by the day.

ultron87

I'm somewhat encouraged that it sounds like they might try some raid-like (ie actually interesting) mechanics elsewhere in the game in future content. But the excuse that normal missions sets aren't presented linearly enough to teach any mechanics in them is crazy. There are absolutely mission chains in the campaign that could include stuff like "here's how a portal works so now we can expect you to know how it'll work later!"

What are they doing..? They better pump that DLC out fast if they want this game to survive that long. Guess after all their patches this game is going to run entirely on RNG.

g7KGBXk.png

MY-WAY-OR-THE-HIGHWAY.jpg

Didn't know there was a do and don't list for this raid.
Bungie stahp. Seriously. People are having fun. It doesnt matter what you want. It matters what the community wants. Make a game for the players. Remember when Epic tried to change Gears? It blew up in their face. How about you fix bugs and glitches first?

kuppy

Yap, read it, amazing interview, enjoyed it a lot.

I think his reasoning is totally alright. If you don't know who gets teleported there is more panic and you need to speak out more clearly what exactly is going on. Also there is his great point about everyone in the team being able to master every part of the raid.

darkwing

it all makes sense in Destiny terms

just like calling Tower , social

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So is Corrective Measure trash, or am I missing something? The damage output seems pretty low and the Oracle perk only lets me take down Oracles marginally faster than my Shadow Price (Plus I have Atheon's Epilogue). I don't have any other legendary heavy weapons so I have nothing to compare it to really.

I've found that it's the best HMG, at least that I've found so far (I think I have 5 or so different ones). It's so accurate, it's more like a heavy auto rifle. I'll have to disagree with you about how fast it takes down oracles. Nothing is faster imo.

Grifter

I have a gun dilemma. I have Praedyth's Revenge and Final Boss, both in grape flavor:

FB has the choice of the high impact rounds or armor piercing rounds. Does that sound more useful that PR's exploding rounds (precision only) and some oracle targeted power?

dB Viper

Xur will be selling Sunbreakers tomorrow. I know it. Warlocks get the shaft.

Also, Patience and Time sniper.

You heard it here first.

darthbob

I get this feeling too. Prior to release how many times did we hear that the Vault of Glass was 'the hardest challenge that we [Bungie] ever created'. We heard that they brought in experienced Raid groups to come in and playtest and they played for hours and days and still never cleared it.

Then on Sept. 16th the day it released, it get's crushed by Primeguard. After that, more groups start to clear it and like all good Raids, strats get developed and fine tuned, and then more groups clear.

Back to my original point, I feel as though Bungie thought the VoG was going to be a much harder challenge, akin to WoW's Raids. IIRC, some of their Raids didn't get cleared for literal months, and I think that was somewhat what Bungie was hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom