• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrS

Banned
For me it is the best way since release... I was lol how can Bungie do a mistake like that... the 3 guys teleport needs to be random.

It is a bug for me.
If it is a bug, then how did something as major as that pass testing?

Fitts

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but to me receiving a pre-nerf Vex Mythoclast is in no way a reward. Regardless of how it performed in PVP/PVE, it was the absolute most powerful weapon in either. That would be fine if it also unlocked a more difficult challenge to undertake with it, but since the same content was already cleared with less powerful equipment I just don't see the point.

I've stated this before but I'll state it again: I'm of the opinion that the ultimate endgame reward would be to give the player the option to ascend every activity to level 30. (better loot for doing so would also be cool, but it's not necessity) Easy is boring. Challenging is fun/addicting.

darthbob

What is so bad about all 6 people needing to know all jobs and execute them?

I hope the moon raid skullfucks the player base.

Oh it will.

You think the Vex were tough? The Vex ain't shit. Sure they got Minotaurs/Praetorians with Void shields and Hobgoblins, but the Hive? The Hive got Knights with Arc shields, and Wizards with Solar shields.

If you ever did the Level 26 Summoning Pits Xyor Strike, you know how much a pain in the ass those Wizards can be. The Moon Raid is gonna suck so good.

blackflag

I'd be ok with all that random teleporting if that's how it was originally. I understand fixing exploits but that's just the way they made the raid. We figured it out Bungie...get over yourselves.

I mean I'm the relic carrier usually in our normal raid and I've done the outside job on hard mode so I know both but still. It's just the point.

Oh it will.

You think the Vex were tough? The Vex ain't shit. Sure they got Minotaurs/Praetorians with Void shields and Hobgoblins, but the Hive? The Hive got Knights with Arc shields, and Wizards with Solar shields.

If you ever did the Level 26 Summoning Pits Xyor Strike, you know how much a pain in the ass those Wizards can be. The Moon Raid is gonna suck so good.

Oh baby, my body is ready.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
obviously glitches in the atheon fight that impede progress should be top priority. for all the claims of severe retardation on the part of the game's developers I'd be shocked if they didn't understand this plainly. However, glitches by nature are not aspects of intended design which can be corrected through decision-making, but unintended side effects that can take time to track down and correct. Furthermore, these corrections can themselves create new unintended side effects and thus require testing. I hope that everyone is willing to keep this in mind.

wasn't a bug. he never said it was a bug.

Bizazedo

To elucidate, I meant in the near future. Obviously with expansions things will change, but I just don't want to see another random nerf 3 weeks down the line. That's what I meant.

If any new items are released into the wild and are discovered to be obscenely OP, they will be nerfed fairly quickly afterwards.

It might be mitigated in your view if they also successfully separate PvP and PvE (which they should do), but that's the nature of nerfs of gear. They tend to happen quickly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've stated this before but I'll state it again: I'm of the opinion that the ultimate endgame reward would be to give the player the option to ascend every activity to level 30. (better loot for doing so would also be cool, but it's not necessity) Easy is boring. Challenging is fun/addicting.
ahhh I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Ramirez

maybe this will be worth paying for after all.

All I see is crying about the game being made more un-fun. How is sending your best 3 players away every time at this point in the games life some how fun? It's redundant and textbook by this point.

God forbid everyone have to execute a role properly to win their loot.

Too thirsty man. I'm already feeling parched.
Need to get my electrolytes to run bounties.

If you guys are running the raid anytime soon and I'm on shoot me an invite. I promise Ill make those jumps, probably won't though, heard there's water under those disappearing platforms.

Essentially that Bungie is a controlling parent. It's akin to saying "No, don't snipe from there. I know we designed it so you could but you really should be standing here. Oh you don't want to? Ok we'll make it so you can't stand there anymore."

Loot cave. Did that hurt the game?
Templar fight. It wasn't guaranteed win.
So much other stuff.
Now they are talking about changing Atheons mechanics? Da fuq.

The best part is, within 24 hours of a patch, people find another way to cheese. They are talking about 'fixing' the new method of Templar fight. They don't need to fix that. Its not a push to win button. It still requires skill to get through. The ingenuity of the playerbase should be rewarded for discovering these things.

Ultimately, Bungie should be fixing real glitches and bugs like AOE damage while inside the Relic shield or the problem with walking through portals.

I'm just more concerned that they're going to be too busy playing catch up on fixing the VoG that they're going to be losing dev time on the expansion raids. They should take what they've learned and apply it to future raids. Make sure future bosses don't allow the same cheesyness.

The exception Being Aetheon, since that's more than just players being creative.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Essentially that Bungie is a controlling parent. It's akin to saying "No, don't snipe from there. I know we designed it so you could but you really should be standing here. Oh you don't want to? Ok we'll make it so you can't stand there anymore.

Loot cave. Did that hurt the game?
Templar fight. It wasn't guaranteed win.
So much other stuff.
Now they are talking about changing Atheons mechanics? Da fuq.

The best part is, within 24 hours of a patch, people find another way to cheese. They are talking about 'fixing' the new method of Templar fight. They don't need to fix that. Its not a push to win button. It still requires skill to get through. The ingenuity of the playerbase should be rewarded for discovering these things.

Ultimately, Bungie should be fixing real glitches and bugs like AOE damage while inside the Relic shield or the problem with walking through portals.

I dunno. I feel like the things you are talking about are pretty clearly things that needed to be fixed. The loot cave was turning Destiny into a joke, and the fix (moving the incentive to doing strikes) was a great one. The Templar exploit was just lame as well and clearly not what was intended. I'm okay with fixing that. At the same time, Bungie has left the nightfall cheese methods alone, so you can't say that they aren't letting the player base enjoy their ingenuity completely. As for the Atheon changes, they aren't even in the game, so I think it's a bit silly to get upset over changes that not only aren't in the game, but hasn't been experienced by anyone yet (i.e., how can you complain about something w/o even trying it?!).

I'm beginning to sound like a Bungie fanboy, and I know I am fighting the losing battle, so I will leave everyone to their pity party :)

ethomaz

Banned
The way they created the portals and transport... the design... all look to be random... my feeling is that the original ideia was to be random... everything was created to this end.

So I guessed it was bug for me when I first played.

Random makes a hell of sense for what they created.

Namikaze1

Yup, fix the glitches in Atheon fight before making the game more unfun.
Bungie: "Glitches? What glitches?

Oh, you mean the Athean falling off the map glitch? Yep, that's getting fix. Oh we are also fixing the Ice Breaker glitch, the Gjallahorn glitch, scout rifles glitch, etc.

Wait? What do you mean you didn't get teleported or that you were sent back into the portal? That's not a glitch, that's part of the experience.

Sorry, can't hear you over this giant stack of money!!!!"

Why isn't there a lvl 30 hard mode for missions and strikes? :(

Because they don't have the right kind of reward system in place to accommodate that.

If you ran a level 30 strike playlist, what would you expect as rewards? Garunteed purples? Exotics? Assendant En/ards?

Don't want to give that stuff out too hastily.

I've found that it's the best HMG, at least that I've found so far (I think I have 5 or so different ones). It's so accurate, it's more like a heavy auto rifle. I'll have to disagree with you about how fast it takes down oracles. Nothing is faster imo.
Good to know since I just got one last night! :D

Roxy Raye plays Destiny :eek:

5m0QnZx.png

Because they don't have the right kind of reward system in place to accommodate that.

If you ran a level 30 strike playlist, what would you expect as rewards? Garunteed purples? Exotics? Assendant En/ards?

Obviously. I'd be fine with the same as Tiger playlist with maybe an additional chance at purples/shards/exotics

I dunno. I feel like the things you are talking about are pretty clearly things that needed to be fixed. The loot cave was turning Destiny into a joke, and the fix (moving the incentive to doing strikes) was a great one. The Templar exploit was just lame as well and clearly not what was intended. I'm okay with fixing that. At the same time, Bungie has left the nightfall cheese methods alone, so you can't say that they aren't letting the player base enjoy their ingenuity completely. As for the Atheon changes, they aren't even in the game, so I think it's a bit silly to get upset over changes that not only aren't in the game, but hasn't been experienced by anyone yet (i.e., how can you complain about something w/o even trying it?!).

I'm beginning to sound like a Bungie fanboy, and I know I am fighting the losing battle, so I will leave everyone to their pity party :)

XBone 24 hour check in? No used games? Taking to twitter and stopping Sony from following suit? You can very well complain about things with out trying them.

You are in the minority. You are allowed to have your opinion. You have valid points but so do we. A balance is always preferred. I want Bungie to change and patch things, but they are choosing a lot of dumb stuff to change, especially when it doesn't hurt the game.

Heel

He said it was an "unintended element". Which is basically a bug.

"It was supposed to teleport players randomly, but there's this bug that makes it teleport the three furthest players from the boss."

I'm not a coder or anything, but that sounds hard to believe. I'm more inclined to believe it's a design decision they're no longer happy with.

Homeboyd

All I see is crying about the game being made more un-fun. How is sending your best 3 players away every time at this point in the games life some how fun? It's redundant abd textbook by this point.

Improvements to the bolded might incentivize people to attempt things the "right way." Too many people look at it like "I get 'cheated' on loot... so I'm going to 'cheat' the game in return." People are always going to find exploits, but I think more people would be willing to suffer the grind the "proper" way if they knew a good reward was waiting on them at the end.

Hearing people running hard mode legit start to finish and only getting shards and a ship makes me never want to go through that. If hard mode introduced new mechanics other than "instead of shooting this boss 1 million times, now you have to shoot him 2 million times" or "instead of a goblin 4 shotting you, he now 1 shots you" (which I understand plays into how you "play" the encounter), it might incentivize more players to go through the slog of the harder modes rather than just looking to cheat it as quickly as possible since good rewards are so rare.

I'm actually with you though... I think forcing players to change up how they play this content will be a refreshing change of pace. Just hope they also consider some things to incentivize players to running raids multiple times or going for the harder modes... legit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd be ok with all that random teleporting if that's how it was originally. I understand fixing exploits but that's just the way they made the raid. We figured it out Bungie...get over yourselves.

I mean I'm the relic carrier usually in our normal raid and I've done the outside job on hard mode so I know both but still. It's just the point.
it is the point, right? if it had been that way from the beginning no one would even give a shit. they made it too easy to figure out. they fucked up there. no more to it than that. they made it easy to figure out, we figured it out, they fucked up, they wouldn't mind fixing it. but i'm sure we'll be stamping more no fun allowed signs in the ground in short order
All I see is crying about the game being made more un-fun. How is sending your best 3 players away every time at this point in the games life some how fun? It's redundant abd textbook by this point.

the more salient point is that if it had been the way he describes their intended vision from the beginning, no one would have ever even thought to complain about it or whine that they were being "forced" to play a certain way.

when you reached the final boss encounter knowledgeable players would have said, "okay, during this fight, 3 people will randomly be teleported into one of the portals every so often. everybody needs to know what goes on inside and what to do if you're left outside, so here's the strategy..." et cetera.

It's obvious from that interview that he feels they made a mistake designing it in a way that can be leveraged to predict who will be sent into the portal. That's it, a mistake they wish to correct, not a bug, not a "you're not playing our way so we hate you and fun" that's all.

honestly wouldn't be surprised if it never gets altered now because of the outcry in response to this interview; if it still does my group will adapt. yawn.

fuck it. you guys have inadvertently talked me into buying the DLC at launch. Bring on the Moon raid. I hope it FORCES us to PLAY BUNGIE'S WAY all the way to mutant mega-Crota-Phogoth-TriWizardKnightThrall.
People are always going to find exploits, but I think more people would be willing to suffer the grind the "proper" way if they knew a good reward was waiting on them at the end.
this is a fundamental misunderstanding of gamer behavior, or really human behavior in general. the more desirable the reward, the greater the impetus for the majority to find the path of least resistance in obtaining it. It doesn't work to just make the reward better. I promise you. This is a known quantity.
I'm actually with you though... I think forcing players to change up how they play this content will be a refreshing change of pace. Just hope they also consider some things to incentivize players to running raids multiple times or going for the harder modes... legit.
Well that's refreshing. And I certainly wish they'd consider a token system for the raid.

It's not like they give proper rewards for current mission/strikes.

They should give more rep, marks, higher chances for rare items. And little higher chance for legendary drops. Give God damn materials(never gonna happen, but a girl can dream). And 2 Cryptarch rewards.

Bizazedo

"It was supposed to teleport players randomly, but there's this bug that makes it teleport the three furthest players from the boss."

I'm not a coder or anything, but that sounds hard to believe. I'm more inclined to believe it's a design decision they're no longer happy with.

Kind of like the bosses being bullet sponges since alpha / beta was a bug.

/sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom