• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

Yah, I haven't done the raid before and would like to try it out if any groups are trying to form together. I'm a Lv 27 Titan

Just depends when PSN is back up.

ultron87

it's not "basically" a bug. it's not a bug in any sense. it's a design element being leveraged by the user in an unintended way. I could give you examples from more basic applications if you want :-/

I guess I just consider what is a bug differently then. If someone figured out some way to accomplish something I considered incorrect or to circumvent the workflow in a way I don't intend in one of my applications with the tools I gave them it is a bug. My application is doing something I don't want my users to do and that I didn't consider in testing. So I need to go fix it.

My point is that we don't even know what the mechanic change will be, or even if it will actually happen. Why not wait until it's released, or even announced, before getting upset? It was just mentioned in passing during an interview.

And the kicker is, it would be such a freaking minor change. Defeating this part of the raid is not rocket science. Shoot supplicants, or shoot oracles. If players are not able to adapt, then I don't know what to say.

I understand what you mean. Bungie could realistically make it better and more fun. My main point is that there are more important things such as legit glitches (portals, relic shield AOE) that need fixing first and foremost. It also really grinds my gears when a developer changes things that work just fine. An incredibly small percentage of players might be saying "Oh man, I wish the teleportation really was random!" Most people don't care and we are having fun with that part of the Raid as is.

To be completely honest its my favorite part of the Raid.

Final point: Do it right the first time Bungie.

hydruxo

That VoG Q&A with Luke Smith made me pretty excited for future raids. VoG is by far my favorite piece of content in the game and if they can capitalize on that and make the next raids just as good if not better, it will be a blast.

Roxy Raye plays Destiny :eek:

5m0QnZx.png

I don't think she knows what she's invited upon herself by giving out her gamertag on twitter.

Well, I mean, just be discouraged then :( I guess their testers simply didn't figure it out, and they dubbed it good enough. Nothing in his language whatsoever indicates it's a bug.

Eh.. the fact that Luke speaks to his own groups attempt and clear being done without knowing how the teleport works seems to suggest that they didn't intentionally design it to specifically pick the players furthest away. It could be considered a bug in that manner. I would hope that it wasn't a rogue programmer who simply decided "this is the way I'll write this mechanic to work even though it wasn't explicitly designed to work this way."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wonder if the coming xpac will increase the soft and hard level caps. XP gains to 30, gear gains to 40.
I imagine 5 level increases, 10 is quite a lot considering the projected content they plan to ship
I really hope they don't up the level cap at all :-[ add new methods of getting armor with chosen stat arrays that can get you to 30, new interesting exotics to choose from, ideally new subclasses. invalidating all of our earned gear at this point is so boring and played out. even if there's demand for it I hope they don't cave in to pressure to raise it.
I had this game yesterday.

Bungie why.

Look at the final score.
daaamn that's the closest control match i've ever seen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Eh.. the fact that Luke speaks to his own groups attempt and clear being done without knowing how the teleport works seems to suggest that they didn't intentionally design it to specifically pick the players furthest away. It could be considered a bug in that manner. I would hope that it wasn't a rogue programmer who simply decided "this is the way I'll write this mechanic to work even though it wasn't explicitly designed to work this way."
I'm confused, did that segment actually indicate anything other than that Luke himself didn't program that aspect of the fight?

I really hope they don't up the level cap at all :-[ add new methods of getting armor with chosen stat arrays that can get you to 30, new interesting exotics to choose from, ideally new subclasses. invalidating all of our earned gear at this point is so boring and played out. even if there's demand for it I hope they don't cave in to pressure to raise it.

daaamn that's the closest control match i've ever seen.

I had a similar game a couple of weeks ago. We were down by a few thousand and ended up winning by 50 or so. I could taste the tears of the opposing team.

I'm confused, did that segment actually indicate anything other than that Luke himself didn't program that aspect of the fight?

He's the design lead for the raid. So I would assume that if they had intended something so specific to happen, he would've been aware of it. If they didn't intend the mechanic to specifically teleport players furthest away, I don't know why a programmer would take such a liberty as whether or not it works that way intrinsically changes the experience.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I had a similar game a couple of weeks ago. We were down by a few thousand and ended up winning by 50 or so. I could taste the tears of the opposing team.
So satisfying. Darthbob and I had a game like that as well
was a 10 or 11 kill comeback at least, led by bob of course. you don't typically see the losing team finish over 10000 in Clash. but a margin of 5 in control, dang.

Rewards don't have to be anything special really. For those of us that are level 29/30 it would give us something with matchmaking to play that is challenging. Level 24 is too easy

I'm not entirely sure I agree with you, and I'm pretty sure the general public doesn't agree with you. They need to see the rewards for their activities laid out in front.

For instance, if I have a bounty that wants me to play a specific mission, which one am I going to choose? Assuming the level of the mission doesn't offer me anything different?

You bet your ass I'm going to choose the level 12 version over the level 20 version. Because it lets me complete my objective faster, and in the most efficient way. Players flock to effeciency, it's where the loot cave came about in the first place.

Navy Bean

I know me and Navy Bean (dmh) were planning to do one Friday and/or Saturday. He will most likely do about 12 raids and forget, but I'll be game. I know Guitar has the thirst as well. If you are on you will be receiving an invite. Bring your camel back so your Titan doesn't cramp up.
Yep, it's on. (Unless I find a better group, naturally).

Obscured

Rahool still up to his tricks I see. Get a legendary boots engram, decrypts into the boots I already have. Get the Ice Breaker for completing nightfall. That is awesome I got an exotic for it, but guess what I already bought last week?

I know it is RNGesus at work, but Rahool is his emissary so my ire is directed toward him.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I understand what you mean. Bungie could realistically make it better and more fun. My main point is that there are more important things such as legit glitches (portals, relic shield AOE) that need fixing first and foremost. It also really grinds my gears when a developer changes things that work just fine. An incredibly small percentage of players might be saying "Oh man, I wish the teleportation really was random!" Most people don't care and we are having fun with that part of the Raid as is.

To be completely honest its my favorite part of the Raid.

Final point: Do it right the first time Bungie.

I will agree that changing the raid mechanic at this point is dumb, especially because it's totally fine as it is, but it's not a big deal. What IS a big deal is prioritizing this "fix" over other, more serious issues with the game, so I agree with that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
He's the design lead for the raid. So I would assume that if they had intended something so specific to happen, he would've been aware of it. If they didn't intend the mechanic to specifically teleport players furthest away, I don't know why a programmer would take such a liberty as whether or not it works that way intrinsically changes the experience.
That's a fair interpretation, I just think your assumption goes a little too far; there's too much information we don't have about the design ethos or what role he had in minute aspects of individual encounters like that at all.

the combination of the fact that he absolutely does not state that it is a bug and the nature of the behavior being so consistent and only occasionally functioning outside of a very strict rule leads me to believe it was completely intentional design. either way, I don't think their intended goal for the fight is irrational, it makes a lot of sense to me, though I don't have any problems with the current way it is either.

Everything in this game was designed without regard for human nature. I enjoy shooting level 20 something dudes that might pose a challenge more than I enjoy shooting lvl 8 "dregs". Yet they both give the same weapon xp, the same loot, and complete the same bounties so I'm just going to shoot the level 8 ones. Especially in a game where RNGsus reigns supreme and the only way to guarantee the endorphin rush I need to keep playing it, is to force the game to roll a ridiculous amount of times by just steamrolling all of the content that's completely trivial to me.

Furtermore this is aided by the fact that everything, and I do mean everything is a grind, and the easiest and most efficient way to clear that grind is to do the low level content. It all seems mindboggling to me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I will agree that changing the raid mechanic at this point is dumb, especially because it's totally fine as it is, but it's not a big deal. What IS a big deal is prioritizing this "fix" over other, more serious issues with the game, so I agree with that.
I'd agree that that would be a big deal, but can we point to where it is indicated that Bungie intends such a prioritization? Where are we getting this from? Actually neither the words "glitch" nor "bug" even appear in that Kotaku interview, maybe we should be talking about that?

Can't play, servers not working.

Anyone know any good farming spots for Legendaries?

Vanguard Tiger playlist is probably your best bet at this point, assuming you're of capable level.

You can average around 2-3 blue engrams per strike, sometimes more. Also a chance of a legendary engram or an exotic item at the end of each strike. If you have Radiant Light from completing the Nightfall then all those engrams will essentially power level your Cryptarch which gives you a chance at legendary engrams every level.

Maybe there's a better way but if I was going to explicitly try to farm legendary stuff that's probably the route I would take.

Vanguard Tiger playlist is probably your best bet at this point, assuming you're of capable level.

You can average around 2-3 blue engrams per strike, sometimes more. Also a chance of a legendary engram or an exotic item at the end of each strike. If you have Radiant Light from completing the Nightfall then all those engrams will essentially power level your Cryptarch which gives you a chance at legendary engrams every level.

Maybe there's a better way but if I was going to explicitly try to farm legendary stuff that's probably the route I would take.

We have a winner, a few hours of striking will have you running out of there with an inventory full of blues. You can complete most of them within 10 to 15 minutes and you're guaranteed atleast 1 blue but will likely end up with 2 or 3 per strike.

Greenymac

So I order the new Astro a40 2015's fr ps4 and they arrive today, WOOT! Oh,PSN is down? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Swag

I imagine it could go either way based on the answer to these questions from the Q&A

Q&A said:
If I pick up raid gear, is that going to be useful in future raids? One hesitation I have about leveling up my raid gear is, it gives me a bonus for killing oracles, but I play a lot outside of the raid, and there are going to be future raids and future strikes. Are some of those abilities going to carry over?

The bespoke usefulness that you're talking about that with respect to the oracles, or the praetorian bonuses, those are going to be specific to the Vault of Glass. But the power level that comes on that gear will be valuable going forward.

Right, like the higher armor rating and more light, and that kind of thing.

Yes. And that will be valuable in the follow-up.

I don't see how they keep the next raid challenging for people that are going to hit level 30 before December, without raising the level cap, especially considering the only stats that actually matter are Armor, and attack. Progressing through VoG normal at level 26 is a different world compared to doing it at 27 or 28, even hard mode to a certain extent, so level 30s will be blowing through the new raid at an extremely fast pace when the threat of death is significantly lowered.

What's interesting is how they'll make running the VoG worthwhile in future, unless they use it as an artificial gating method for new players to access the new raid, maybe put some of the gear in a vendor that uses vanguard marks but keep the hard mode rewards in the HM so it has to be run in order to get to the required level to run the new raid.

That's a fair interpretation, I just think your assumption goes a little too far; there's too much information we don't have about the design ethos or what role he had in minute aspects of individual encounters like that at all.

the combination of the fact that he absolutely does not state that it is a bug and the nature of the behavior being so consistent and only occasionally functioning outside of a very strict rule leads me to believe it was completely intentional design. either way, I don't think their intended goal for the fight is irrational, it makes a lot of sense to me, though I don't have any problems with the current way it is either.

Even when making my statement I realized that there's a possibility that there's a bit of... I'll say creative freedom... in the specific programming of mechanics but it seems to me like that would be counter-intuitive to the stated goals of designing the raid. Raid mechanics are typically intended to be incredibly specific so as to force the players to contend with factors that push their skills and adaptability further than the non-raid aspects of a given game.

His choice of specific vocabulary doesn't, in and of itself, dissuade me from the idea that it's a bug. In fact, it does quite the opposite as "X was not intended and has been changed to Y" is extremely common patch note language explaining that a bug or exploit has been fixed. Seeing as how it's not an exploit as the players aren't required to do anything to make it happen, it makes me consider it a bug. It may not be a bug in the strictest sense (that being a function unintended by the specific programmer) but it's not being specifically designed to function that way still makes it loosely a bug.

TheContact

I already have a full inventory of Blues, I want Legendaries/Exotics. I have to do Strikes for those too?

Doing strikes nets you vanguard tokens which you can use to buy legendaries plus there's always a chance of winning a legendary/exotic at the end or finding a legendary engram randomly from an enemy drop. Just do all the vanguard bounties you can every day and do the daily quests and if possibly the weekly ones appropriate to your level, eventually you'll get the gear from playing

Steroyd

And the kicker is, it would be such a freaking minor change. Defeating this part of the raid is not rocket science. Shoot supplicants, or shoot oracles. If players are not able to adapt, then I don't know what to say.

It's not THAT simple, relic holder can get 2 shotted by the hobgoblins in the Mars side, and the praetorian (minotaur) wrecks most people, even people who CAN use the relic on the venus side.

Heck in the raid groups I've been in, there's always that one person who struggles at the platform jumping section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom