• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Lol no it's points, I'd say fuck that too if that was the case.

I wouldn't mind 10k Guardian kills. Make us work for it hahaha

Mine comes on Wed of next week. Can't wait.

Your the first person I've heard say that... I asked about it earlier in the destiny thread, and every single response I got said they were fantastic.

Yea, everyone I know who I played with who uses them sound fantastic.

nowai

So I could use some thoughts on how to progress - I'm hoping to work through the raid which I still haven't done. I'm level 25, with an exotic Auto Rifle (Hard Light). My armor is 3 legendaries and one blue.

I realize most people are well beyond me but what level should I consider the raid?

My other two questions are what are the best ways to get ascendants shards (and energy to a lesser degree)? I've heard the Raid and Nightfall Strike but I'm underleveled for those, correct?

And is there any point to holding on to my motes of light or should I buy the engram? I have 26 motes and 12 strange coins.

Lvl 27 if you don't want to be a burden to your raid. Mobs will one shot you at the Atheon fight (edit: if you are 26.)

Have you bought any legendaries? In a week you can easily get gloves, boots or chest.

You should reach Vanguard rank two easily, then switch to a faction of choice. Buy one piece from the Vanguard using thier marks and the another piece with Crucible marks at your faction.

Buy an exotic piece from Xur and with your legendaries, boom lvl 28.

Your the first person I've heard say that... I asked about it earlier in the destiny thread, and every single response I got said they were fantastic.

They're fantastic. I have the Astro A50s but my buddy has the Sony Golds and loves them. I've tried them as well and they are awesome.

Nameless

So I could use some thoughts on how to progress - I'm hoping to work through the raid which I still haven't done. I'm level 25, with an exotic Auto Rifle (Hard Light). My armor is 3 legendaries and one blue.

I realize most people are well beyond me but what level should I consider the raid?

My other two questions are what are the best ways to get ascendants shards (and energy to a lesser degree)? I've heard the Raid and Nightfall Strike but I'm underleveled for those, correct?

And is there any point to holding on to my motes of light or should I buy the engram? I have 26 motes and 12 strange coins.

Xur is a great way of getting shards in addition to vanguard/crucible vendors. I got 2 armor pieces and 2 engrams from him last week which turned into 10 ass shards.

The best thing you could do is get some crucible or vanguard marks, whichever you prefer. Get yourself another legendary armor or two to reach 26, that should be good enough for most raid groups.

Now, to get shards or energy, there is no solid way to do this, but here is a short list of things you can do
-Raiding has a good chance of netting you some upgrade materials

-Weekly nightfall (requires level 26 to play) has a 20% chance of giving you upgrade materials

-Public events have a 50% chance of awarding you an upgrade material

-Your first Public event of the day has a 50% chance of awarding you an upgrade material via your mail.

-The daily heroic mission has a garunteed chance of getting you 2 upgrade materials. 50% shards 50% energies.

If you are desperate, and the options above aren't available to you, you have two options:
- Use Vanguard/Crucible marks to buy legendaries and dismantle them ( I did this earlier today, spent 195 marks to get 8 shards)

-Run the Vanguard Tiger strike playlist and pray to the gods for some decent drops.

Finished nightfall on my alt and got the ugliest helmet in the game

Destiny_20140921153216.jpg

(Not my pic)

That helmet is fucking metal.

nowai

Level 26 talk

I wouldn't recommend being level 26 for the raid or especially nightfall unless you have experienced, higher level friends helping you out.

Nightfall becomes a cake walk once you start getting primaries with elements (from the raid) to take advantage of the element burn. Even then though, I wouldn't recommend being under 27 for the nightfall unless someone is going to carry you.

During the Atheon fight, if you are level 26, Supplicants will one shot you, snipers will one shot you, Praetorians will one shot you...basically it's a bad time unless you are with a group of higher level friends that don't mind carrying you.

X-Frame

I love my Sony Gold's. Be sure to download the Destiny sound profile too when you get them! The amount of audio details you hear from the profile is incredible, just simple things like jumping on your Sparrow sound great, haha.

LiK

I love my Sony Gold's. Be sure to download the Destiny sound profile too when you get them! The amount of audio details you hear from the profile is incredible, just simple things like jumping on your Sparrow sound great, haha.
Whoa, it has its own profile? Thanks for the heads up.

ocean

Banned
Praxis Fire fully upgraded. For now I'll use Voidfang like I use my Voidwalker subclass: only equipped before turning bounties in :p

Deku Tree

How do you get the sound profile? Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend being level 26 for the raid or especially nightfall unless you have experienced, higher level friends helping you out.

Nightfall becomes a cake walk once you start getting primaries with elements (from the raid) to take advantage of the element burn. Even then though, I wouldn't recommend being under 27 for the nightfall unless someone is going to carry you.

During the Atheon fight, if you are level 26, Supplicants will one shot you, snipers will one shot you, Praetorians will one shot you...basically it's a bad time unless you are with a group of higher level friends that don't mind carrying you.

Doing the Nightfall at 26 is entirely possible, and it's not like matchmaking exists for it anyway, so I figure he'll find a group to do it that are aware of his level.

The raid is hit or miss. I don't recommend going through the raid at 26, but as you said, if you know the people and they can help carry you a bit, go for it. I've done two normal raids with 26s before, and it didn't seem to hold us up that much.

FyreWulff

So, apparently Bungie tried to have Activision agree with a delay (6 monthy) when the writer departed/got fired. He took 60-80% of the story with him. Duh!

Activision said NO, presumably because of the pre-orders, DLC and deal with Sony.

... this was on Reddit before. I know. However this was a slightly different take. Bungie got pushed hard?

So many fresh new rumors.

Any story Joe Staten would have written would have been work-for-hire and totally owned by Bungie. Much like MS owns everything he wrote for Halo.

And where would he even begin to legally use the story elsewhere?

It's total BS.

Greenymac

Well, Im used to having astros or trittons. After those the Sony Golds just sound hollow and the simulated surround just didnt work for me. I was excited as hell for the Sony Golds and got them on release day. Ended up taking them back the next day. my ears are just spoiled I guess.

HighOnPCP

Ok so how does Warlock seeker grenade work exactly? I've been playing my Voidfang in PvP because it gives me 2 seekers per grenade but...I almost never kill anybody with it?!
Before I used Voidfang I've gotten alot more kills with just one seeker bolt.
Does it split the damage from 1 seeker bolt to two? I am confuse.

Also, do you have to hit someone with the grenade itself for the seekers to...seek him?
I often just throw it near a group of people but nothing happens. they don't SEEK!

Heads up guys, my Sony Gold headset was delivered. I will no longer be using shitty EarPods. :)

I bought a pair of those a few months ago and love them. I use them when my wife is sleeping and I want to get some gaming in. The Mic is really sensitive so I can talk really low if I need to and still be heard.

HighOnPCP said:
Ok so how does Warlock seeker grenade work exactly? I've been playing my Voidfang in PvP because it gives me 2 seekers per grenade but...I almost never kill anybody with it?!

I used that grenade for quite a bit of time and got frustrated with it and stopped eventually.

The grenade, like many others doesn't kill in one hit. Not even close. The 2 seekers does more damage than just the one but it won't kill.

Grenade pops
Grenade scans for nearby targets.
If target nearby, small void orb begins chasing target
Orb chases target at speed just shy of sprint speed.
Orb detonates on impact.

Your ability just gives you two orbs. Those orbs do about 80% damage to Guardian, but they home and they chase. Question is, does that fit your play style?

Deku Tree

There was a video of seeing dragons flying around in The beta… It was posted by IGN or some place like that… But I have never seen any dragon flying around in the final game… Is there anywhere you can find them?

Ateron

This fucking game is toying with me.

This morning went to see Xur, and since I had 40 coins and didn't have any exotic RL, decided to buy Truth. It's no Gallajorn but I think it's solid (still hating bungie for putting that up for sale so soon when people were still scratching their heads on how to get coins and level up effectively, so I couldn't get it then).

Then, for the first time I finished the Vault. I tried it with a few buddies of mine, we stopped at the final boss cause some of them had to leave the game. As it turns out, we couldn't reunite the party in time to finish it for good before the reset.

This afternoon I was doing bounties and someone sends me a message while I'm on the Tower. "Hey you wanna go for the Raid?" Why not, I thought, I have nothing better to do now, it was hard to coordinate 6 people who know each other and play everyday, but hey, I'm gonna try it with 5 strangers,who may or may not have mics plugged in, including one who doesn't speak our native language, and some are first comers. What could possibly go wrong?

Spent 2h30m. But we finally did that motherfucker in. The game gives me the Hezen Vengeance. So I spent my coins on something, and then the game decides to give me something better. Should have spent my marks on a auto rifle, maybe then the game would have given me the Epilogue (it's my most wanted weapon right now)..sigh.

But yeah, the Raid feels like a whole different experience. This is what Destiny should be all the time. It really rewards coordination, patience and exploring the different talents of each class and how they complement each other. Can't wait to go again, this time I think I have it better figured out.

Deku Tree

This fucking game is toying with me.

This morning went to see Xur, and since I had 40 coins and didn't have any exotic RL, decided to buy Truth. It's no Gallajorn but I think it's solid (still hating bungie for putting that up for sale so soon when people were still scratching their heads on how to get coins and level up effectively, so I couldn't get it then).

Then, for the first time I finished the Vault. I tried it with a few buddies of mine, we stopped at the final boss cause some of them had to leave the game. As it turns out, we couldn't reunite the party in time to finish it for good before the reset.

This afternoon I was doing bounties and someone sends me a message while I'm on the Tower. "Hey you wanna go for the Raid?" Why not, I thought, I have nothing better to do now, it was hard to coordinate 6 people who know each other and play everyday, but hey, I'm gonna try it with 5 stranges, including one who doesn't speak our native language. What could go wrong?

Spent 2h30m. But we finally did that motherfucker in. The game gives me the Hezen Vengeance. So I spent my coins on something, and then the game decides to give me something better. Should have spent my marks on a auto rifle, maybe then the game would have given me the Epilogue (it's my most wanted weapon right now)..sigh.

But yeah, the Raid feels like a whole different experience. This is what Destiny should be all the time. It really rewards coordination, patience and exploring the different talents of each class and how they complement each other. Can't wait to go again, this time I think I have it better figured out.

I have both of those rocket launchers… Each one gives different elemental damage, so each one might be good for different hard missions depending on the enemies you're fighting and the burn.

HighOnPCP

Grenade pops
Grenade scans for nearby targets.
If target nearby, small void orb begins chasing target
Orb chases target at speed just shy of sprint speed.
Orb detonates on impact.

Your ability just gives you two orbs. Those orbs do about 80% damage to Guardian, but they home and they chase. Question is, does that fit your play style?

I believe it does. I like to eiter throw the grenade and then place a few shots and go back to safety and let the seekers to the rest. Or vice versa. Place a few shots, run back to cover while chucking the grenade but like I said it works like 3 out of 10 times now.
Before using voidfang and only 1 seeker I had a much higher kill rate with this "method"

firehawk12

Subete no aware

You should be 26 at least, because for your first time, you'll be more worried about staying alive than anything else. Ideally you should have all leg gear and be 27 (which you can get to without using any shards).

Dailies and public events give you one shard/energy a day. You should be able to get those at 25/26 at least.

Playing the raid with six guys, some I know IRL and some are friends of friends and going from baby faced noobs that took 9 hours to even get to Aetheon to a fully coordinated team that can finish the raid in 65 minutes (while making new friends and having inside jokes etc) will be a memory I cherish for a long, long time.

Its Destiny (and gaming) at its best. It doesn't hold your hand, it rewards trial and error and you genuinely feel accomplished.

I hope the game can keep up that quality with its raids, if so me and the team will have so many great stories to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom