• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Okay so this:

I'm going to feel pretty cheated if Crota has a sword. The story is already non-existent as it is, but if Crota somehow has his sword, despite the fact that we specific went out and destroyed the thing, I'm going to be pretty miffed here.

At the very least, it better have some damn explanation.

Maybe he borrowed the sword from his brother, Crata.

The harpies during the Templar aren't that much of a threat, but you must mean the supplicants, which I assume is pretty stressful if you get detained on Hard. Will reserve judgment until I experience that one for myself.

Yes, supplicants. I was referring to the Atheon fight in the hard raid only.

Fantastic. Better than all other machine guns.

Cool.

I've played the raid three times on normal and cheesed Atheon twice on hard,

This ist what I got:

2x Facade of the Hezen Lords
1x Tread of the Hezen Lords
1x Gloves of the Hezen Lords

3x Chatterwhite
2x Timebreaker

1x Vision of Confluence
1x Thunderlord
1x Vex Mythoclast

Deku Tree

No evidence at all about Rank changing what you can get as a reward the higher you go. It's just a reward every rank-up like the Cryptarch, except halfway decent. The rewards don't get better but they stay "that Faction," so you'd keep getting the chance for Vanguard gear from rank-ups; if you don't care about that/want other faction stuff more, you know what to do.

Thanks, Hawkian! At this point in my gameplay I struggle to figure out what to Spend my vanguard marks on... soWhen I get home I'll have to figure out which Faction I want to start leveling up.

hmmm. last night was my best raid yet, both in terms of haul and the experience. no armor, but got atheon's epilogue (in the middle of a void burn woooot), hezen's vengeance (any good?) and the glass minuet ship. i'll take it. needed the shards too.

*shrug* i like the atheon change. obviously the glitches need fixing (though I don't think we hit any on Normal :-x) and that's worthy of criticism, but the encounter design is solid. i get that it's frustratingly different than what you're used to. but you'd get into these situations of panic in the past, where someone was left outside or pulled inside or left holding the relic and they'd have no idea what to do, and that meant a wipe. now everyone is forced to learn over time.

yes, you are forced by the cruel mistress of random selection. but there's a moment of chaos when ported (come on guys, even in the original version, you must get that the fight was designed to evoke this sensation), then a moment of assigning roles on the fly, and then execution. people who are tasked outside of their comfort zone will improve. groups that continuously play with one another will actually benefit in all parts of the raid from the increased knowledge of all 6 players.

last night i was outside on supplicant duty for the first time literally ever. with my group, I was simply never assigned this role and would never have had the chance to do it before. what we were doing was working, so I didn't want to ask to change it. I had no idea what a big aspect of the fight was even like. felt a little like the rest of my fireteam would've preferred to keep their original roles forever, which I get, but... this was cool for me. and it kind of blew my mind a little how quickly you can shift over from one side to the other based on the side they're on. Now I get how you guys always had the portal up and waiting for us! I learned a ton quickly and died the first time, and made it work after that. By the end of the the fight, I really did feel comfortable being slotted into any aspect of it- something I would not have claimed before last night and thus before the teleport change.

You can still assign two people the role of "supplicant/oracle killer only"- two people who will never touch the relic. There's actually more nuance to this pick than you might think. At first my thoughts were that you should just pick the people who are the least confident with the relic- but actually, if someone has really high DPS maxed weapons and is level 29 or 30, it's not ideal for them to have the relic because their DPS is removed from the equation during a damage phase. However, another good thing about the forced rotation is that it's now more likely everyone will get a chance to empty their heavy weapon into Atheon- whereas the relic holder, if the same person every time using the center platform, would never have been doing any damage.

A couple general notes/tips I took away, for anyone doing the various jobs in the Vault:
  • Relic-holders: it's incredibly disorienting (for me, anyway!) when you run out of the portal with Time's Vengeance, and the clock is ticking. Even a slight struggle to find the center platform can result in a 10-15 second delay because it's so easy to get turned around in the room. I used to honestly screw this up something like 50% of the time, but what I do now is, when you come out of the portal, run toward the other players who are clustered roughly around the sync plate- the tags will all be visible amid the confusion- then locate the center platform and head toward it, and THEN announce to all to go to the center. Using this method, almost every single damage phase in which I have the relic now has 20+ seconds remaining upon hitting the center.
  • Oracle-killers: once you kill the first Oracle, on either side, slowly advance forward down the stairs while killing the rest. This will keep you closer to the relic holder for a cleanse, and then closer to the gate when the buff kicks in, which means exiting sooner, which winds up actually translating to more DPS on the boss. Subtle change but makes a big difference for the full party.
  • In the event that something goes wrong and the portal team is stuck inside for a while or the timer on the buff otherwise ticks down to <10s before getting to the center, it's a good idea to not go to the center platform that round at all. Just stay exactly where you are (clustered around the sync plate), kill supplicants and do any damage you can to the boss from there. The relic holder can easily cleanse you. I tried to explain this in a panic for one round last night and I realized what I should have said instead of my convoluted instructions was just "stay where you are!" :)
  • Gatekeeper phase: I don't know who suggested it, but I used Bladedancer stealth for grabbing the relic after killing the Gatekeeper and it worked absolutely beautifully. I loved it. I feel very close to the point where I'd be comfortable soloing one of those portals now, something I would have told you was impossible 3 weeks ago. I now run Gunglinger from the door through killing the Templar, then Bladedancer Gorgons/Air-Dashing-I mean-Platforming-section/Gatekeepers, then back to Gunslinger for Oracles during Atheon, which all suits my playstyle juuuust fine. Big thanks to whoever mentioned this strategy.

Yeah, scary as detain fields during Atheon are to me, this is predicatable behavior which I don't see being "fixed." And it's good advice for anyone during the Templar (legit) too. Whenever his shield goes down/Atheon opens the timestream, do not jump until you're certain there's no detain field on you. Killed one of ours twice yesterday during Templar actually.

Very nice write up! I love my hezen's vengeance rocket launcher, it's my favorite heavy weapon (my second favorite is my corrective measure). I don't have a Gjallahorn, but other people here have said the Hezen Vengeance is second only to Gjallarhorn in terms of Destiny's rocket launchers. I leveled mine up and it is a best. Holds three rockets without a reload IIRC.

Regarding the second thing I bolded, I remember telling you about using Bladedancer stealth when we were playing the other day (although someone else may have told it to you too, and I actually heard about it from someone else myself).

I think I usually RAID at the same time as your crew. (9PM EST right?) If your crew ever has an opening or needs an ALT I'd be happy to join.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was one of those initially but after a few inside trips I got the hang of it. Never went to Mars though.

My notes and learnings:

Grateful for the invite and the learning experience. You guys rock!

I learned that defending the Mars portal, which was my Gatekeeper job, changes when the Atheon fight starts. I didn't realize that until Palom mentioned it, and I was getting divebombed alone over there wondering why everyone was rushing away. DULY NOTED.

If the relic holder exits the portal and you're still inside and going blind (happened to me once) HEAD TOWARD THE LIGHT. Then when back outside run and jump to where you see all the names clustered in the middle who are likely shooting at Atheon already.

I leapt there in blind faith and somehow made it AND got cleansed and I was like HOLEEEE CRAP!! YEAH!!!

Grateful for the opprtunity guys and for your amazing patience. First I fell when Jay said "hop down" and I literally hopped down. Into a hole. Ahh crap. Then my lovely group date with the Mars Portal Harpies... My mistakes won't happen again and I'm glad we nailed it down!

Got Kabr's chestpiece (does it have to be the same color as the turd-ships? Blech) and a number of shards.

Just wanted to say once again - you guys freaking rock.
This was what, your second or third time ever in the vault? You did great dude. You are certainly welcome anytime we have the open slot.

LiK

I'm down for another Flawless run tonight at 6PM EST. Hope everyone from Raid yesterday can help again. It should take us 45 min if Atheon doesn't glitch the fuck out again.

Deku Tree

Okay so this:

I'm going to feel pretty cheated if Crota has a sword. The story is already non-existent as it is, but if Crota somehow has his sword, despite the fact that we specific went out and destroyed the thing, I'm going to be pretty miffed here.

At the very least, it better have some damn explanation.

I personally hope they do have a sword. I love sword missions, and I love being the sword wielder. I don't care if they need to come up with some new story or some contradiction to the existing story to get there... I don't play for the story.

Is the Thunderlord exotic machine gun good? I got it during the raid yesterday. I also got the Tread of the Hezen Lords.

Huh, you got the exact same stuff I got from the raid yesterday... Got Tread of the Hezen Lords from the oracles or Templar (not sure which) and Thunderlord from Atheon. What are the odds?

Daemul

Personal preference of course. I like quite a few of the guns in the Vanguard and Crucible weapons so I don't mind guns from their stocks and I also like the ability to level them both in one play session versus funneling everything to a faction. I can definitely see why a faction would be preferable too.

When I do stat grinding faction rep, it will either be to purchase a specific weapon I do want to buy from one of them, or in the hopes of getting a shader.

That's a fair preference. I've personally run into the issue of already having bought all the weapons I want from the Crucible and Vanguard handlers, so anything I get gifted from them will just get dismantled, since I don't keep weapons and armour which I don't use, it's a waste of carry space on my Titan.

LiK

I personally hope they do have a sword. I love sword missions, and I love being the sword wielder. I don't care if they need to come up with some new story or some contradiction to the existing story to get there... I don't play for the story.

There should be one part where everyone wields a sword. It would be so much fun.

If Atheon bubbles you and you are mid jump, your trajectory will end up most of times making you go outside the bubble and die instantly..

That's intentional design, not careless. People just need to be aware of it and plan accordingly. It's one small way to make hard raid more challenging. Moving through a detain shield or jumping when the detain shields are coming up has always killed you, even on normal mode Templar. It's the nature of the mechanic.

There are many other Atheon glitches but it crushes my soul too much to list them out now. That aspect of the detain is not one of them however.

SAiLO

I'd say that once you get your Vanguard and Crucible both to rank 3, it's best just to focus on levelling your main factions rep, since unlike with Vanguard and Crucible, you get gifted with weapons and items you cannot buy.
Wait, don't you only get gifted weapons from that faction's armory?

LordofPwn

I didn't see the Mars TV one when I checked. Thankfully, another guide showed me a different one there.

*sigh*... these glitches get me the most, because of my OCD for collectibles. i've gotten 60 of the 62 legit ones, plus some in the DLC areas. 1 in the seraphim vault, and 3/4 in the Venus area up top. They add to your score too which is nice (i'm sitting at 2355).

Also surprised there were no ghosts in the Vault of Glass, would have loved to have read more about Kabr.

Also does anyone have the "Venus" "Mars" "Mercury" "Moon" cards? they're missing for me and i have no idea how to get them...

Daemul

Wait, don't you only get gifted weapons from that faction's armory?

Nope, I've been gifted a New Monarchy hand cannon and sniper rifle, and they stock none of those weapons.

EDIT:Wait, by armoury to you mean the stuff that shows up at the factions vendor or do you include all the hidden weapons aswell?

lunlunqq

Cool.

This ist what I got:

3x Chatterwhite
2x Timebreaker

1x Vision of Confluence
1x Thunderlord
1x Vex Mythoclast

Cool!

Note to myself: another person to put on my hate list...

Cool.

This ist what I got:

3x Chatterwhite
2x Timebreaker

1x Vision of Confluence
1x Thunderlord
1x Vex Mythoclast

I kinda dislike you... :p I only got Tread of the Hezen Lords last night, and it's my first piece of raid armor.

Does Façade of the Hezen Lords only drop from Atheon? Or can it also drop from oracles, Templar or Gatekeeper?

no point with all the glitches around.

It's still possible. The glitches aren't entirely insurmountable but it's an enormous increase in difficulty. Every team member should be able to solo a portal if necessary, which is possible.

Seems like some dudes didn't get them but they died beforehand which is a bummer. Doesn't hurt to try. We shouldn't be dying when we do the raid anyway. We're Flawless!

Since the patch, every single flawless attempt we've made it to Atheon has glitched hard. Every time the glitches went away after a wipe.

Dyno

I was resigned to buy the DLC but I may not. I'm think I'm mostly done. Last night cemented it for me.

I've been stuck at Level 27 for a while. It's like the ladder to advancement is missing a couple rungs. The no in-game matchmaking for the VoG is a failure. I've asked to join two different clans and got no response. I can get three friends playing together easy but there's nothing to do that will reward anything that I need. Everything has become dry and pointless.

I come to this conclusion after trying to get through the Weekly Heroic Strike. We've done it before, even with just two people. This week it has Heroic and Void Burn. This is a Level 22 strike and my character can get one-shotted by the Minotaurs. That's what all my effort in this game gets me, to be one-shotted in a Strike that is 5 levels lower than me. Time and time again we tried to finish that boss fight only to learn that it was impossible to revive a teammate without being killed yourself. This is a change that came about after the patch it seems. We never had anything like this before.

Destiny is the only game I've ever played where I've been cutting my play sessions short because there is nothing worthwhile to do. I've maxed out my Vandguard Marks all the while being only Level 1 in the faction. There is nothing to buy and no more to earn. VoG is six people. Nightfall is too hard. So what if I earn the occasional purple, I have enough already from playing in the Crucible. I have one exotic helmet and one exotic secondary so even other exotics lose their lustre because it's not like I can use them without putting something away.

The game is not just bare bones, it's a skeleton with ribs, fingers and toes missing. It's addictive as hell but not always fun. What this game needs is free content to plug the gaps. Instead we're getting drip-fed with a new $20 price point for DLC that other developers and publishers will no doubt take as the new normal. There should be more than one path to get to Level 30 and if there is only one path THEN IT SHOULD BE DOABLE IN-GAME.

To spend so much time playing a game only to walk away frustrated is terrible. The minute to minute gameplay is great but the day to day game system is awkward and full of holes.

if you're ported alone, i think your cleanse will charge if you pick it up and then drop it. then fire a few rockets at the adds and keep an eye out for the first oracle. leaves enough time for the portal to be open and two other people to enter.

i've hopped into the portal before and saved a wipe when only two people teleported. long as everyone has an oracle killing weapon and a good rocket launcher.

I kinda dislike you... :p I only got Tread of the Hezen Lords last night, and it's my first piece of raid armor.

Does Façade of the Hezen Lords only drop from Atheon? Or can it also drop from oracles, Templar or Gatekeeper?

I 've read that the Facade only drops from Atheon on hard. I don't know if that's true.

We made jokes that the less you died, the more chances Atheon will glitch on you. lol

Not a joke, sadly.

:(

if you're ported alone.

Cleanse timer will charge only while you hold it, but it won't reset when you drop it. So you have to pick it up, charge as much as you can, drop it and hit oracles, pick it up for more cleanse, etc. Focus on each oracle in the order they spawn while outside team gets the portal open then comes in to help with adds and oracles. The lone porter needs to focus on oracles since that causes the wipe.

Two man team that beat normal raid had the guy drop the relic, hit oracles w/ V of Confluence, pick up relic to charge cleanse, etc. until eventually cleanse was full. Very tough but do-able.

LiK

if you're ported alone, i think your cleanse will charge if you pick it up and then drop it. then fire a few rockets at the adds and keep an eye out for the first oracle. leaves enough time for the portal to be open and two other people to enter.

i've hopped into the portal before and saved a wipe when only two people teleported.

This is good for us cuz figs was the only one who got teleported in our Raid yesterday when we first tried.

SkylineRKR

Cool.

This ist what I got:

3x Chatterwhite
2x Timebreaker

1x Vision of Confluence
1x Thunderlord
1x Vex Mythoclast

Yeah I think I've been lucky too.

First Raid: Found Verdict, Raid Armor, Atheon's.

Second Raid: Praedyth Revenge

Fourth Raid: Raid Boots, Raid Gauntlets, SUROS Regime (and a legendary engram with Shadow Price + Field Scout)

Second Heroic Raid: Mythoclast, Raid Helm.

8th Raid: Corrective Measure.

SAiLO

Nope, I've been gifted a New Monarchy hand cannon and sniper rifle, and they stock none of those weapons.

EDIT:Wait, by armoury to you mean the stuff that shows up at the factions vendor or do you include all the hidden weapons aswell?

I mean that faction's stock available from the vendor.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hezen Vengeance is the second best rocket launcher in the game.

Very nice write up! I love my hezen's vengeance rocket launcher, it's my favorite heavy weapon (my second favorite is my corrective measure). I don't have a Gjallahorn, but other people here have said the Hezen Vengeance is second only to Gjallarhorn in terms of Destiny's rocket launchers. I leveled mine up and it is a best. Holds three rockets without a reload IIRC.
MMmm nom nom nom. Think my Warlock deserves it.

Atheon's Epilogue is... hilarious. It's borderline unusable out of the box. It's amazing how much better a gun the Unwilling Soul-09 is before any upgrades despite being pretty similar on paper.

It still kicked ass on the weekly void burn though. It was actually my best DPS against Sekiron running the level 28 with my level 25 last night (thanks guys!), weirdly enough, because his crit box is large and I could score like 60ishx80ish=~5000dmg per clip. and then die to splash damage lol.

Regarding the second thing I bolded, I remember telling you about using Bladedancer stealth when we were playing the other day (although someone else may have told it to you too, and I actually hear about it from someone else myself).
It's just perfect. I truly believe all classes have their chance to shine in the raid.
I think I usually RAID at the same time as your crew. (9PM EST right?) If your crew ever has an opening or needs an ALT I'd be happy to join.
Wednesdays 9PM yup. I'll put you down as an alt!

Deku Tree

Another new Raid glitch that I noticed but I forgot to mention before:

My Apotheosis Veil Sunbro Warlock helmet perk didn't work. I popped my super and it was supposed to refill all my health but it didn't happen and I died.

Not a great haul from the raid last night: raid gloves and weapon I already had, a lot of shards.

Regarding the new random teleporting at Atheon, I have to say that I didn't mind at all and it forced me to learns parts of the scenario (though I still haven't tried relic carrying yet) that I otherwise wouldn't have since I was so comfortable in the job I had been doing. On a team level, it probably took us a bit longer to clear but nothing egregious-- I think we adapted pretty quickly and I'm sure it will only get easier from here.

no point with all the glitches around.

In post-patch Destiny, Atheon cheeses you!

At least, I consider the fact that he doesn't teleport anyone, or timegates not working properly as cheesing. I'm sure someone at Bungie is saying "Yep, working as intended now!".

Steroyd

My Apotheosis Veil Sunbro Warlock helmet perk didn't work. I popped my super and it was supposed to refill all my health but it didn't happen and I died.

I've had a glitch where the relic holder runs out of cleanse during time of vengance, this was pre-patch to. :|

Ha, it should be renamed to the vault of glitches.

Yeah I think I've been lucky too.

First Raid: Found Verdict, Raid Armor, Atheon's.

Second Raid: Praedyth Revenge

Fourth Raid: Raid Boots, Raid Gauntlets, SUROS Regime (and a legendary engram with Shadow Price + Field Scout)

Second Heroic Raid: Mythoclast, Raid Helm.

8th Raid: Corrective Measure.

One of my friends played through the raid seven times and never received any raid gear for his Warlock. When we did the hard Atheon cheese all of the guys/girls got the raid helmets except that one guy. The game hates him.

hydruxo

Cool.

This ist what I got:

3x Chatterwhite
2x Timebreaker

1x Vision of Confluence
1x Thunderlord
1x Vex Mythoclast

Here's what I've gotten in 3 hard raids:

Fatebringer
Hezen Vengeance x2
Vex Mythoclast x2
Hawkmoon
Found Verdict
Praedyths Revenge
Atheons Epilogue

Prime Zealot Helm
Prime Zealot Cuirass
Prime Zealot Gloves
Prime Zealot Boots

Aspect of Glass x2
Chatterwhite x2
Shattered Vault Cloak

And I still need to beat Atheon on the 3rd run

Jito

Banned
So it's only Thursday, just got my Vanguard to rank 2 and I've hit the Vanguard mark limit. Am I fucked? What the hell do I do for the rest of the week? What a shit system, why stop me from playing the fucking game?

realcZk

corrective measure completely wrecks oracles. corrective measure + weapons of light in hard mode and you're always waiting for the game to give you more oracles, cant get enough of them, makes portal duty really boring

So it's only Thursday, just got my Vanguard to rank 2 and I've hit the Vanguard mark limit. Am I fucked? What the hell do I do for the rest of the week? What a shit system, why stop me from playing the fucking game?

You have to buy a piece of armor since you can't get weapons yet. Or else just do crucible stuff, or the raid, etc., activities that don't yield V marks. The mark limit is really pointless but marks are pretty useless after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom