• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Raid "patch" really boggles my mind. ANYONE who played through it should've hit the teleport glitches. We've hit it consistently at least once. I swear they simply altered the code for it and thought it would be fine. There's no way anyone from QA touched the Atheon fight to let this patch go through like this. They basically ruined the end game of the end game.

I haven't touched the raid and all of the glitches were well known to me. Hell, on day one of VoC, on the three big twitch streams of the groups who made it to Aetheon first, all three of them made different comments on how "fucked" the portals were. Other than seeing how often they were dying in the raid, literally the first public impression it made was being super buggy and frustratingly so.

Edit: I got a new shader (Cytherean Bloom) as a random drop on a lvl 22 strike playlist last night on my alt and I think it was the happiest I've been in a loot roll ever. Shaders are so fucking hard to get! I need that color customization yo.

Just to clarify my statement (sorry I wasn't more specific), I meant the faction-specific shader, not a random one during the process of leveling.

Each faction has a it's own shader, does it not? I thought you were awarded a special faction shader by ranking it to 10. I read that somewhere, will have to go back and search for sources.

Yeah, I was referencing the faction (I'm Dead Orbit Rank 6). I think a lot of people got their shaders around Rank 10, but I think it might be more of the law of averages eventually working out in favor of a shader by then. Like I said, it's entirely possible to get it earlier than that.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Also there's another Atheon issue that's not a bug but rather looks like careless design.

If Atheon bubbles you and you are mid jump, your trajectory will end up most of times making you go outside the bubble and die instantly.

Perhaps they should introduce a check so that if a character is mid jump, the bubble should be delayed until the character touches ground.

Simple solution: don't jump. I don't see this as an issue, really.

Also there's another Atheon issue that's not a bug but rather looks like careless design.

If Atheon bubbles you and you are mid jump, your trajectory will end up most of times making you go outside the bubble and die instantly.

Perhaps they should introduce a check so that if a character is mid jump, the bubble should be delayed until the character touches ground.

This... This shit right here. I cannot tell you how many times that's happened to me. It's so obnoxious.

Jump to get away from the supplicants... OOOOOHHHH bad timing asshole, have a wipe.

matmanx1

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There's enough time to jump on a pillar before detain happens. It's also possible to stay on the ground without getting blown up if there aren't too many supplicants.

This... This shit right here. I cannot tell you how many times that's happened to me. It's so obnoxious.

Jump to get away from the supplicants... OOOOOHHHH bad timing asshole, have a wipe.

I would say having an encounter that requires you to jump to avoid death while at the same time instakilling you if you happen to jump at the wrong time is careless design.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
hmmm. last night was my best raid yet, both in terms of haul and the experience. no armor, but got atheon's epilogue (in the middle of a void burn woooot), hezen's vengeance (any good?) and the glass minuet ship. i'll take it. needed the shards too.

*shrug* i like the atheon change. obviously the glitches need fixing (though I don't think we hit any on Normal :-x) and that's worthy of criticism, but the encounter design is solid. i get that it's frustratingly different than what you're used to. but you'd get into these situations of panic in the past, where someone was left outside or pulled inside or left holding the relic and they'd have no idea what to do, and that meant a wipe. now everyone is forced to learn over time.

yes, you are forced by the cruel mistress of random selection. but there's a moment of chaos when ported (come on guys, even in the original version, you must get that the fight was designed to evoke this sensation), then a moment of assigning roles on the fly, and then execution. people who are tasked outside of their comfort zone will improve. groups that continuously play with one another will actually benefit in all parts of the raid from the increased knowledge of all 6 players.

last night i was outside on supplicant duty for the first time literally ever. with my group, I was simply never assigned this role and would never have had the chance to do it before. what we were doing was working, so I didn't want to ask to change it. I had no idea what a big aspect of the fight was even like. felt a little like the rest of my fireteam would've preferred to keep their original roles forever, which I get, but... this was cool for me. and it kind of blew my mind a little how quickly you can shift over from one side to the other based on the side they're on. Now I get how you guys always had the portal up and waiting for us! I learned a ton quickly and died the first time, and made it work after that. By the end of the the fight, I really did feel comfortable being slotted into any aspect of it- something I would not have claimed before last night and thus before the teleport change.

You can still assign two people the role of "supplicant/oracle killer only"- two people who will never touch the relic. There's actually more nuance to this pick than you might think. At first my thoughts were that you should just pick the people who are the least confident with the relic- but actually, if someone has really high DPS maxed weapons and is level 29 or 30, it's not ideal for them to have the relic because their DPS is removed from the equation during a damage phase. However, another good thing about the forced rotation is that it's now more likely everyone will get a chance to empty their heavy weapon into Atheon- whereas the relic holder, if the same person every time using the center platform, would never have been doing any damage.

A couple general notes/tips I took away, for anyone doing the various jobs in the Vault:
  • Relic-holders: it's incredibly disorienting (for me, anyway!) when you run out of the portal with Time's Vengeance, and the clock is ticking. Even a slight struggle to find the center platform can result in a 10-15 second delay because it's so easy to get turned around in the room. I used to honestly screw this up something like 50% of the time, but what I do now is, when you come out of the portal, run toward the other players who are clustered roughly around the sync plate- the tags will all be visible amid the confusion- then locate the center platform and head toward it, and THEN announce to all to go to the center. Using this method, almost every single damage phase in which I have the relic now has 20+ seconds remaining upon hitting the center.
  • Oracle-killers: once you kill the first Oracle, on either side, slowly advance forward down the stairs while killing the rest. This will keep you closer to the relic holder for a cleanse, and then closer to the gate when the buff kicks in, which means exiting sooner, which winds up actually translating to more DPS on the boss. Subtle change but makes a big difference for the full party.
  • In the event that something goes wrong and the portal team is stuck inside for a while or the timer on the buff otherwise ticks down to <10s before getting to the center, it's a good idea to not go to the center platform that round at all. Just stay exactly where you are (clustered around the sync plate), kill supplicants and do any damage you can to the boss from there. The relic holder can easily cleanse you. I tried to explain this in a panic for one round last night and I realized what I should have said instead of my convoluted instructions was just "stay where you are!" :)
  • Gatekeeper phase: I don't know who suggested it, but I used Bladedancer stealth for grabbing the relic after killing the Gatekeeper and it worked absolutely beautifully. I loved it. I feel very close to the point where I'd be comfortable soloing one of those portals now, something I would have told you was impossible 3 weeks ago. I now run Gunglinger from the door through killing the Templar, then Bladedancer Gorgons/Air-Dashing-I mean-Platforming-section/Gatekeepers, then back to Gunslinger for Oracles during Atheon, which all suits my playstyle juuuust fine. Big thanks to whoever mentioned this strategy.
Simple solution: don't jump. I don't see this as an issue, really.
Yeah, scary as detain fields during Atheon are to me, this is predicatable behavior which I don't see being "fixed." And it's good advice for anyone during the Templar (legit) too. Whenever his shield goes down/Atheon opens the timestream, do not jump until you're certain there's no detain field on you. Killed one of ours twice yesterday during Templar actually.

Zakalwe

Banned

MADGAME

Yeah, I was referencing the faction (I'm Dead Orbit Rank 6). I think a lot of people got their shaders around Rank 10, but I think it might be more of the law of averages eventually working out in favor of a shader by then. Like I said, it's entirely possible to get it earlier than that.

Have you received the Bittersteel shader from Dead Orbit?

Steroyd

original_pineapple-box.jpg

FUCK YOU PINEAPPLE!!

Deku Tree

Question: Is there any reason for me to keep leveling up my Vanguard rep beyond three?

I mean instead should I start leveling up a different faction?

So really if I reach Vanguard rank 10 or something like that is there any evidence that we get better rewards at higher ranks or is it all completely RNG? Or are the random rewards guaranteed to be a different type of random rewards upon leveling up the different factions?

I guess if the rewards don't get better then I am better off leveling up one or more of the factions... Thanks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haha!

So, what's so great about Invective? I'm on the PVP portion of that bounty and it's going fairly slowly (I'm not great at PVP and tend to die about as many times as I get a kill) but I hear the actual weapon is pretty good. I'm not going to lie, the stats don't show it. I guess it is the ammo regen?

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb.../e5/Maxresdefault.jpg/250px-Maxresdefault.jpg
Full auto, high RoF, Send It mod. It's a nasty weapon in the Crucible just nasty I say.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Question: Is there any reason for me to keep leveling up my Vanguard rep beyond three?

So really if I reach Vanguard rank 10 or something like that is there any evidence that we get better rewards at higher ranks or is it all completely RNG? Or are the random rewards guaranteed to be a different type of random rewards upon leveling up the different factions?

I guess if the rewards don't get better then I am better off leveling up one or more of the factions... Thanks!
No evidence at all about Rank changing what you can get as a reward the higher you go. It's just a reward every rank-up like the Cryptarch, except halfway decent. The rewards don't get better but they stay "that Faction," so you'd keep getting the chance for Vanguard gear from rank-ups; if you don't care about that/want other faction stuff more, you know what to do.

Daemul

No evidence at all about Rank changing what you can get as a reward the higher you go. It's just a reward every rank-up like the Cryptarch, except halfway decent. The rewards don't get better but they stay "that Faction," so you'd keep getting the chance for Vanguard gear from rank-ups; if you don't care about that/want other faction stuff more, you know what to do.

I'd say that once you get your Vanguard and Crucible both to rank 3, it's best just to focus on levelling your main factions rep, since unlike with Vanguard and Crucible, you get gifted with weapons and items you cannot buy.

Yeah, scary as detain fields during Atheon are to me, this is predicatable behavior which I don't see being "fixed." And it's good advice for anyone during the Templar (legit) too. Whenever his shield goes down/Atheon opens the timestream, do not jump until you're certain there's no detain field on you. Killed one of ours twice yesterday during Templar actually.

Hezen Vengeance is the second best rocket launcher in the game.

While the detain field is predictable, the harpies are not. I don't think it will be "fixed" either, but I do see it as an odd mechanism at best.

Midas

I'd say that once you get your Vanguard and Crucible both to rank 3, it's best just to focus on levelling your factions rep, since unlike with Vanguard and Crucible, you get gifted with weapons and items you cannot buy from the vendors.

I should probably do this. I'm level 12 at Vanguard. Never get anything good.

Have you received the Bittersteel shader from Dead Orbit?

I haven't received any shaders from DO yet. I do get a DO specific item every time I rank up in it though (sometimes weapons, sometimes gear including for different classes) and I assume the shader is a random thing in that loot table. It's probably just that it's on the rare side of that table which is why people tend to not get it until higher ranks.

excowboy

I was asking myself this question but I figured it was worth leveling up the factions to get their drops and have the rank if/when I want to purchase gear from them. Even though I haven't really played PvP at all, I can see myself getting into it later - and currently facing a baptism of fire as I have the PvP stage of Invective/Thorn/Bad Juju bounties to do - so I figure I will get some Crucible marks down the line.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd say that once you get your Vanguard and Crucible both to rank 3, it's best just to focus on levelling your main factions rep, since unlike with Vanguard and Crucible, you get gifted with weapons and items you cannot buy from the vendors.
Personal preference of course. I like quite a few of the guns in the Vanguard and Crucible weapons so I don't mind guns from their stocks and I also like the ability to level them both in one play session versus funneling everything to a faction. I can definitely see why a faction would be preferable too.

When I do stat grinding faction rep, it will either be to purchase a specific weapon I do want to buy from one of them, or in the hopes of getting a shader.
Hezen Vengeance is the second best rocket launcher in the game.

While the detain field is predictable, the harpies are not. I don't think it will be "fixed" either, but I do see it as an odd mechanism at best.
The harpies during the Templar aren't that much of a threat, but you must mean the supplicants, which I assume is pretty stressful if you get detained on Hard. Will reserve judgment until I experience that one for myself.

phen0m24

groups that continuously play with one another will actually benefit in all parts of the raid from the increased knowledge of all 6 players.

I was one of those initially but after a few inside trips I got the hang of it. Never went to Mars though.

My notes and learnings:

Grateful for the invite and the learning experience. You guys rock!

I learned that defending the Mars portal, which was my Gatekeeper job, changes when the Atheon fight starts. I didn't realize that until Palom mentioned it, and I was getting divebombed alone over there wondering why everyone was rushing away. DULY NOTED.

If the relic holder exits the portal and you're still inside and going blind (happened to me once) HEAD TOWARD THE LIGHT. Then when back outside run and jump to where you see all the names clustered in the middle who are likely shooting at Atheon already.

I leapt there in blind faith and somehow made it AND got cleansed and I was like HOLEEEE CRAP!! YEAH!!!

Grateful for the opprtunity guys and for your amazing patience. First I fell when Jay said "hop down" and I literally hopped down. Into a hole. Ahh crap. Then my lovely group date with the Mars Portal Harpies... My mistakes won't happen again and I'm glad we nailed it down!

Got Kabr's chestpiece (does it have to be the same color as the turd-ships? Blech) and a number of shards.

Just wanted to say once again - you guys freaking rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom