• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Send It (range) for sure. Perfect balance isn't needed.
The gun is literally as effective as a sniper rifle at range. If you can see someone, you can pop them.

Sometimes I've camped on first light and sniped people with thorn just for fun, there's a pencil-tip sized head in the distance that is suddenly wondering why they are about to die from poison.

Alright, the fact that it's getting a possible buff scares the shit outta me now.

nowai

Haha. Yeah, seriously. Pulse? The fuck kind of gun is that? They have those in Destiny?

Although, my first Legendary weapon that I received in the game was a pulse (Bad Seed Down). The gun is total garbage but I won't dismantle it because of that. I'm so sentimental sometimes.

Red Death and the Stranger's Rifle are great in pvp.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Red Death and the Stranger's Rifle are great in pvp.

Has anyone used the praedyth's timepiece? I have it but haven't leveled/used it at all. I'm all for elemental primaries but I haven't used a pulse rifle since week 1.

Tovarisc

Thorn hate come PvE gamers only... It is fantastic in PvP.

I don't even know how they can buff it.

Funnily enough I don't care about enemies with Thorn in PvP, that DoT is so weaksauce that they need score headshots or 3-4 bodyshots in order to take me down.

Hawkmoon players? Fuck that noise, getting one shotted by bodyshot from that cannon is no fun :(

noomi

Thorn hate come PvE gamers only... It is fantastic in PvP.

I don't even know how they can buff it.

shh... let them buff it :)

Could use a faster reloading or more ammo per clip. Compared to other handcannons it's still kind of weak. Much moreimpact on TDYK or fatebringer.

realcZk

My thorn setup
dxxrktR.png

I looked at the raw range values from the API, Thorn has 62/100 range with this setup. My Praedyth's Revenge has 66/100.

lol

Daemul

Eh guys, will it be possible for me to do the Raid on my alt without unlocking Venus? I went a little overboard with the Crucible bounties and now I'm level 19 and a half with only the earth story missions, earth strike and the first moon story mission done, and once I go hand in these last few bounties I'll be level 20. Am I fucked? O.O

nowai

Has anyone used the praedyth's timepiece? I have it but haven't leveled/used it at all. I'm all for elemental primaries but I haven't used a pulse rifle since week 1.

Haven't had the opportunity to grab it, but the impact is terrible and Secret Round is pretty meh.

The only thing it really has going for it is the arc damage...but Fatebringer puts it to shame across the board.

yup, Thorn reinvigorated my love for hand cannons. That thing is unbelievable. If they do anything other than increase its reload, it'll be a disaster.

Bad Juju on the other hand - even renaming it to Good Juju wont fix it.

benjammin

What a difference a week and a half makes. I ran the raid for the first time almost two weeks ago at level 27. It took about 3 hours and I was a liability at the gate keeper and atheon seconds as I only had a lightly upgraded devil you know.

Ran it again yesterday at 28 with an almost fully upgraded voc and ice breaker and we made it through the whole thing in under an hour with only two deaths (one was a hilarious platforming miscue). The voc rips right through the oracles, it's almost unfair. Of course I was rewarded with all shards and energy, but I feel better about my survivability going forward.

How big a jump is it to go from normal to hard? I'd obviously need to get to level 29, but I want to hold out until I get some raid gear so I don't waste all my shards on gear that I'm just going to trash. Can a 28 with fully upgraded voc, ice breaker, and hezen vengeance do it, or am I going to be a liability until I hit 29?

commish

Haven't had the opportunity to grab it, but the impact is terrible and Secret Round is pretty meh.

The only thing it really has going for it is the arc damage...but Fatebringer puts it to shame across the board.

Same thoughts. Guess it stays in the recycle bin.

commish

What a difference a week and a half makes. I ran the raid for the first time almost two weeks ago at level 27. It took about 3 hours and I was a liability at the gate keeper and atheon seconds as I only had a lightly upgraded devil you know.

Ran it again yesterday at 28 with an almost fully upgraded voc and ice breaker and we made it through the whole thing in under an hour with only two deaths (one was a hilarious platforming miscue). The voc rips right through the oracles, it's almost unfair. Of course I was rewarded with all shards and energy, but I feel better about my survivability going forward.

How big a jump is it to go from normal to hard? I'd obviously need to get to level 29, but I want to hold out until I get some raid gear so I don't waste all my shards on gear that I'm just going to trash. Can a 28 with fully upgraded voc, ice breaker, and hezen vengeance do it, or am I going to be a liability until I hit 29?

To be honest with you, I wouldn't do the raid with a level 28. You'd be a pretty big liability for the later fights, as the damage penalty is pretty big and you'd be one-shot probably. My advice is to level up your current gear to 29, and start running hard mode. You'd make up those shards you "wasted" probably within one or two hard mode runs.

spyder_ur

My new PS4 is coming from UPS today. Sweet.

After I get it set up and everything (including downloading the game) would anyone want to take on the raid? I still haven't done it from the start - I had no luck finding groups on the PS3.

Also, is there a new owner's thread or anything for PS4?

Yep, totally serious. That would be extremely helpful if you upload the videos. I just can't imagine there are many QA guys grinding away at flawless. They are probably onto the DLC..

Awesome, thanks for taking the initiative. When our group gets together in a few hours I will talk to everybody about it and see what evidence we have. I'll go through my saved videos sometime tonight and get in touch with you.

29 is essential unless you're being carried through cheese.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

You want to be 29, but it still sucks.

gatti-man

My thorn setup

I looked at the raw range values from the API, Thorn has 62/100 range with this setup. My Praedyth's Revenge has 66/100.

lol

Yeah its not a big secret. I run into thorns constantly in pvp now. Some players are good and others just tear you apart with it. And it needs a buff? My friend just got the bounty i told him get it done and you will be a beast in pvp once you learn how to use it.

MADGAME

For those with Praetorian foil - are you using the Accelerated Coils charge time buff or Javelin which increases warhead velocity? I'm assuming the range buff wouldn't be picked over the other 2, and it's strange there is a velocity buff for a gun that does not have a velocity stat.

Also, since it has a 5-shot mag, does the additional damage from bottom half of clip happen on the 2nd shot, 3rd shot or partial on 2nd shot?

Deku Tree

Eh guys, will it be possible for me to do the Raid on my alt without unlocking Venus? I went a little overboard with the Crucible bounties and now I'm level 19 and a half with only the earth story missions, earth strike and the first moon story mission done, and once I go hand in these last few bounties I'll be level 20. Am I fucked? O.O

Sure. Not sure if you can be the fireteam leader, but once you hit 26 you can certainly raid. I was doing Mars missions with a group before I unlocked mars. I think you still have to unlock Venus and Mars yourself though.

kidko

That is awesome. You'll definitely need to join someone else's fireteam. Try it and report back!

Yeah its not a big secret. I run into thorns constantly in pvp now. Some players are good and others just tear you apart with it. And it needs a buff? My friend just got the bounty i told him get it done and you will be a beast in pvp once you learn how to use it.

You can complete another thorn bounty before you're finished reloading the first one.

Not explicitly Destiny related, but have many people here been getting the "Rest Mode" error since the firmware update? Orange blinking light on console, won't turn on with the power button or via controller. Just happened for the 2nd time even though I swore I turned off the console completely. I just restart the console in safe mode then re-install the update file and seems to fix it momentarily. Any advice?

NeOak

Not explicitly Destiny related, but have many people here been getting the "Rest Mode" error since the firmware update? Orange blinking light on console, won't turn on with the power button or via controller. Just happened for the 2nd time even though I swore I turned off the console completely. I just restart the console in safe mode then re-install the update file and seems to fix it momentarily. Any advice?

Don't use sleep mode. It's fucked in 2.0

gatti-man

Wasting shards isnt really a thing. Wasting weeks you could be running hard mode is a important thing. Shards take care of themselves just by playing the game. Get to 29. Do the hardmode. Get gear.

kidko

Yeah, I've been getting that. Freaks me out :/

LiK

It's a common problem but I haven't experienced it at all. The only fix right now is to have it turn off completely. Stop using Rest Mode.

LordofPwn

PvP hand cannon ranking IMO:

The Last Word
Thorn
Fatebringer
Hawkmoon
Lord High Fixer
Devil You Know
Everything else

Hawkmoon needs to be higher, fatebringer is only ok in pvp, i've had better luck with Lord High Fixer and Devil You Know

You want to be 29, but it still sucks.

29 is ok as long as you know you're a squishy liability, or a sunsinger (just make sure you always have a super available to get out of trouble.

It happened to me twice until I realized it's a glitch that needs fixing. I had to unplug the PS4 both times to boot it up. I now turn the system completely off which is a bummer, hopefully there's a firmware update soon to fix it.

ethomaz

Banned

We did carry a friend with lvl 28 one time with four 30s and one 29 but it is really hard to the guy... it was like do the Hard Raid in five guys... it was before the random atheon too and he never touched a relic :D

Wasting shards isnt really a thing. Wasting weeks you could be running hard mode is a important thing. Shards take care of themselves just by playing the game. Get to 29. Do the hardmode. Get gear.
Do at least the Oracle and Tempar parts... it can be cheesed... the hardest parts for you will be the Gatekeeper and Atheon now with random.

Hoodbury

Those sound like great perks to me, especially for PvE but also for PvP. Zen Moment on the vendor Devil You Know is great for a the stability it provides and you're having Grenadier means each kill will reduce your grenade cool-down by I think 10%? I could be wrong, but if you imagine killing dozens of trash adds in PvE your grenade could have a very short cool-down.

Hmm, maybe I'll regift it to my warlock alt for when he turns 20. Titan grenades suck, so reducing the cooldown for that isn't that big of a deal to me.

Zen moment I dunno, just doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

Hung Wei Lo

Currently running on 3 hrs of sleep at work. We had a good run on Hard mode last night, but when we got to Atheon, the bugs were the real MVP.

Hopefully we can knock it out tonight before the reset.

Loot wise, got my 2nd Fatebringer (energies) and Corrective Measure. Still looking for some boots :( #Forever29

Yup...I still think my favourite bug was not being able to see that one guy - it would've been a blast if we were ported in together :/

I'm game to try to finish this off tonight, if there's room for me - I'll be on around 9pm Eastern

realcZk

Hawkmoon needs to be higher, fatebringer is only ok in pvp, i've had better luck with Lord High Fixer and Devil You Know

29 is ok as long as you know you're a squishy liability, or a sunsinger (just make sure you always have a super available to get out of trouble.

fatebringer is only ok in pvp unless you're using explosive rounds, the tears are delicious

(explosive rounds jar the screen of your enemies making it hard for them to aim)

Don't use sleep mode. It's fucked in 2.0

Yeah, I've been getting that. Freaks me out :/

It's a common problem but I haven't experienced it at all. The only fix right now is to have it turn off completely. Stop using Rest Mode.

It happened to me twice until I realized it's a glitch that needs fixing. I had to unplug the PS4 both times to boot it up. I now turn the system completely off which is a bummer, hopefully there's a firmware update soon to fix it.

Awesome, thanks for all the advice! As if the hotfix glitches weren't enough, haha...

nowai

There are several videos on YouTube suggesting Red Death as the go to primary weapon for PvP. The heal is great.

I absolutely love it for pvp.

I honestly believe the majority of the people who hate on it have never used it. They read some initial report from someone on the Internet who didn't like the fire rate and said it sucked.

It has become my goto gun for pvp when I use an exotic primary.

If you sprint around the maps blindly into enemy fire, this is not for your play style. On the other hand, if you hang back, watch the radar, keep a bit of distance between you and your enemy and get head shots, it's fantastic. Not having to hide behind cover and regenerate health after a firefight is incredibly powerful.

Having said that, if I ever loot a Last Word, Red Death will probably be vaulted.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

a top1% player with a SUROS against a top1% with a pocket infinity
or a last word is a toss up, with mid-close range encounters skewing to the fusion rifle / handcannon player

not getting why ARs need a nerf - just because they are the most popular option doesnt mean they are the best option in the hands of a skilled player
not even a toss up, pocket infinity wins that hands down now. It's one of the few guns that outright wins a fair fight up against the regime, imo.
yup, Thorn reinvigorated my love for hand cannons. That thing is unbelievable. If they do anything other than increase its reload, it'll be a disaster.
truth and facts.

PvP hand cannon ranking IMO:

The Last Word
Thorn
Fatebringer
Hawkmoon
Lord High Fixer
Devil You Know
Everything else
grumble. hawkmoon is obviously the best and Timur's Lash belongs in there somewhere but I guess that's an okay list except hawkmoon is obviously the best.

MADGAME

Fatebringer is so good. Firefly is the most fun you can have with any weapon

My "this is an awesome gun" moment with Fatebringer is when I realized the explosion that results from a precision kill doesn't just damage surrounding enemies, the explosion also deals arc damage just like each shot does. SoGood.gif watching groups fizzle out of existence in the arc animation from a firefly explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom