• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
I think that's what happened. Your first Raid was a cheese? Then that explains it.
No lol.

I did the normal raid with lvl 26 but didn't get armor... I got the legendary snipe and rocket launcher.... my first armor come after but below lvl 29 for sure... so maybe it was a hard Atheon cheese.

PS. Sorry the dup post :(

deadlast

As far as PVP popularity usage, from my personal experience:

ARs>>>>>>>>>>>>Hand Cannons>>Scouts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pulse

ARs are still heavily prevalent.

That's because ARs are the best at delivering a stream of damage in a tight area. I constantly get multi-kills with the AR. With a Pulse, I mostly get assists.

LiK

SUROS is still insanely good for PvP. 100% stability and extra dmg while ADS plus last half of mag. One of the easiest guns to get headshots with in the game.

I still prefer Thorn/TLW/Fatebringer for PvP, especially Thorn, since you can snipe people across the map.

I don't own a single one of those HCs so I can't say anything about them. This game refuses to give them to me.

ValeYard

In the last few days, there's been a drastic drop off in people playing Destiny on my friends list on ps4. It's been so bad that we had trouble raiding and had to abandon our hard Atheon save, because we could only get 28s in. Anyone else?

Also, any idea when the new Iron Banner is coming? Since RNG is sharding me instead of giving me the warlock boots I need, Iron Banner may be my only hope, although they probably won't have boots...

zewone

That's because ARs are the best at delivering a stream of damage in a tight area. I constantly get multi-kills with the AR. With a Pulse, I mostly get assists.

Oh, for sure, but I think ARs are still too effective at range.

They should all get a heavy range nerf so the damage done is minuscule at distance.

They should only be viable in short range.

My personal performance and taste...

Fusion Rifles > Hand Cannons >> AR >>> Scouts.

Pulse?

Haha. Yeah, seriously. Pulse? The fuck kind of gun is that? They have those in Destiny?

Although, my first Legendary weapon that I received in the game was a pulse (Bad Seed Down). The gun is total garbage but I won't dismantle it because of that. I'm so sentimental sometimes.

LiK

They should all get a heavy range nerf so the damage done is minuscule at distance.

How much more of a range nerf do ARs need? They're literally useless in the bigger maps now. Might as well rename them submachine guns if they get another nerf.

Bizazedo

Haha. Yeah, seriously. Pulse? The fuck kind of gun is that? They have those in Destiny?

Although, my first Legendary weapon that I received in the game was a pulse (Bad Seed Down). The gun is total garbage but I won't dismantle it because of that. I'm so sentimental sometimes.

I've gotten 3 Bad Seed Downs, now. Kind of irritating.

I've actually done decently in Crucible with the Stranger's Rifle, tempted to use it for shits and giggles again.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
In the last few days, there's been a drastic drop off in people playing Destiny on my friends list on ps4. It's been so bad that we had trouble raiding and had to abandon our hard Atheon save, because we could only get 28s in. Anyone else?

Also, any idea when the new Iron Banner is coming? Since RNG is sharding me instead of giving me the warlock boots I need, Iron Banner may be my only hope, although they probably won't have boots...

I expect the community to keep contracting until a dedicated group continues to play. Happens with every game. You only need a relatively small group of people to play with.

Rixxan

If this was to happen they'd be completely outclassed by 4 or 5 of the handcannons

TLW >>>>>>>>>>> Suros from like, 15 yards in

not even close

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I still prefer Thorn/TLW/Fatebringer for PvP, especially Thorn, since you can snipe people across the map.
Ran into a guy using Thorn in Rumble last night, he was in the top 3 for 3 matches, beat me once, I beat him once... that feeling when you think an engagement is over and then see your health going down and die and see "Thorn" in the upper right... there's definitely a kind of intimidation factor with it in PvP IMO. Like, every time I get killed with it I wonder if this is the match where someone is really good and just going to dominate the board with it.

extremely classy choice for pvp at the moment. any kind of buff to it could make it quiiite the gun.

ethomaz

Banned
A little story about how I got the Boots for my Warlock....

I was playing with a group the Kill Oracles part and at the very the delivery food rang the bell of my home.

I thought... ohhhh this part is easy and the guys can beat it without I need to snipe the Oracles (we are sniping from the up platform).

When I back they already had killed the Oracles and I just checked my inventory to found a new chest (I already had one) and a new boots... I was like screaming on the party chat due the boots :D

It was really cool way to get my last gear to lvl 30 after so many tries.

zewone

How much more of a range nerf do ARs need? They're literally useless in the bigger maps now. Might as well rename them submachine guns if they get another nerf.

A huge nerf, especially for the suros and shadowprice which have scout rifle range.

They should be submachine guns, but they aren't at the point yet. I'd like for them to behave like the AR in Halo.

If this was to happen they'd be completely outclassed by 4 or 5 of the handcannons

TLW >>>>>>>>>>> Suros from like, 15 yards in

not even close

I'm okay with that.

LiK

A huge nerf, especially for the suros and shadowprice which have scout rifle range.

They should be submachine guns, but they aren't at the point yet. I'd like for them to behave like the AR in Halo.

Well, hopefully your wish never comes true!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

You make that change and then they become useless.

Trakan

I rarely die to ARs so I don't see it much of an issue in PVP. They're not THAT easy to use now since getting kills with them requires aiming for the head to do the best damage. Blatantly shooting from hip doesn't really do as much damage, imo.

What do you use for PVP? I'm curious why you find ARs so OP.

I use a Shadow Price. I don't like the current state of ARs but I'm also not stupid. I'm not going to handicap myself. If they were nerfed again I'd gladly use Vision or Last Word. As for now though, they can't compete except in extreme situations like across the map with Vision.

The bigger maps? All 2 of them?

ethomaz

Banned
There is no better feel in Crucible than headshot with hand cannons... it is like you are these fucking guys in westerns movies.

I love hand cannons and it is too easy to play with them.

I don't have the TLW but I can see it being way better than any other weapon in PVP.

Bizazedo

I use a Shadow Price. I don't like the current state of ARs but I'm also not stupid. I'm not going to handicap myself. If they were nerfed again I'd gladly use Vision or Last Word. As for now though, they can't compete except in extreme situations like across the map with Vision.

If AR's become greatly nerfed again, it quickly becomes TLW / Hawkmoon hell with a side dish of fusion rifle.

AR's are, barring Suros, mostly fine and will lose at distance, even on Shores of Time, to a SR. It's the map design, not the weapons, that people are really angry about and just assigning it to AR's.

Dante316

I play with many randoms and in my experience 70% of time, they refused to pick up heavy ammo. In some cases, they were couple inches from it and ran away from it. I just don't understand why they do that. It can't be danger factor, im standing nxt to ut and alive. Its perplexing to me.

ethomaz

Banned
What's the point of using a scout or hand cannon if an AR more effective at all ranges?
For me it is because the hand cannon is one/two hit kill headshot... AR not... the range in some hand cannons are really good... even better than some ARs.

Axoman

Finally attempted and completed my first raid over the weekend.

It was a blast! Found a couple good guys from destinylfg.net and also here.

Big thanks for Iceman829 joining in after we had a member have to leave and pushing us over the gatekeeper phase and finishing Atheon.

I got shards/energies, Atheon's Epilogue and raid boots. A few of the others got other raid gear and I think at least 3 or 4 got Vision of Confuence.

Can't wait to do it again!

realcZk

Ran into a guy using Thorn in Rumble last night, he was in the top 3 for 3 matches, beat me once, I beat him once... that feeling when you think an engagement is over and then see your health going down and die and see "Thorn" in the upper right... there's definitely a kind of intimidation factor with it in PvP IMO. Like, every time I get killed with it I wonder if this is the match where someone is really good and just going to dominate the board with it.

extremely classy choice for pvp at the moment. any kind of buff to it could make it quiiite the gun.

yeah, the fact that it pierces targets too and applies DoT to all is pretty powerful, really fun to hit people in groups/lines

Rixxan

I'm okay with that.

you have a situation now where fusion rifles, scout rifles, and handcannons can all be better options than assault rifles

depending on map, player skill, etc

all that ARs have going for them is a low learning curve

a top1% player with a SUROS against a top1% with a pocket infinity or a last word is a toss up, with mid-close range encounters skewing to the fusion rifle / handcannon player

not getting why ARs need a nerf - just because they are the most popular option doesnt mean they are the best option in the hands of a skilled player

deadlast

Bungie needs to seriously rework the range and accuracy on all of the guns.

zewone

If AR's become greatly nerfed again, it quickly becomes TLW / Hawkmoon hell with a side dish of fusion rifle.

AR's are, barring Suros, mostly fine and will lose at distance, even on Shores of Time, to a SR. It's the map design, not the weapons, that people are really angry about and just assigning it to AR's.

This is correct too, but at this point it's easier to nerf range than to rebuild every map.

EL CUCO

I've gone strictly Thorn for Pvp. I love that HC. 2 quick headshots or 3 or 4 lightning quick body shots...they never know what hit them.

Tovarisc

They should be submachine guns, but they aren't at the point yet. I'd like for them to behave like the AR in Halo

Assault Rifle =/= SMG

AR's are overperforming in PvP in all possible ways, but same time I don't want them to become useless very short range tosh that you don't want touch with 10 feet pole. Nerf that they already put in barely made dent to them in PvP, but caused most of ARs to vanish from PvE environment.

Another blow to AR's and you can be sure that they stop existing in PvE environment while 1 to 3 stay as viable-ish in PvP.

People demanding "huge nerfs" to AR's and shotties really should also take a look at Fusion Rifles too and think if nerfing just ARs and/or shotties "balances" PvP.

Trakan

Map design affects gun balance. They're hand in hand. If you make the maps smaller, you have to account for that. It happened each year with COD as the maps got smaller and smaller. The SMGs were never balanced accordingly, so they became Godlike. Destiny does have smaller maps, which means ARs are strong by default. Easy to use and a really fast time to kill. They also need to be tuned accordingly. Maybe take off the headshot multiplier, they aren't precision weapons.

Bizazedo

I play with many randoms and in my experience 70% of time, they refused to pick up heavy ammo. In some cases, they were couple inches from it and ran away from it. I just don't understand why they do that. It can't be danger factor, im standing nxt to ut and alive. Its perplexing to me.
I find that happen mostly in Control. Only thing I can think of is Control gets the majority of players, so more newbs? I dunno.

Hawkmoon is basically a scout rifle lol, that range :)
Hawkmoon is the secret OP PvP weapon at the moment, I am convinced.

X-Frame

Got Lord High Fixer for my 9th birthday with the Crucible. Has crappy perks though, Zen Moment and Grenadier. I already have Thorn, should I dismantle it?

Those sound like great perks to me, especially for PvE but also for PvP. Zen Moment on the vendor Devil You Know is great for a the stability it provides and you're having Grenadier means each kill will reduce your grenade cool-down by I think 10%? I could be wrong, but if you imagine killing dozens of trash adds in PvE your grenade could have a very short cool-down.

Tovarisc

Heh,

dEpuAJI.jpg

LiK

The bigger maps? All 2 of them?

Yea, so we agree or not?

And yea, why do we need to have to switch Primaries once we reach a larger map where SRs/HCs can dominate?

What's the point of using a scout or hand cannon if an AR is more effective at all ranges?

I use a Last Word or Mythoclast, strictly because I hate the AR dominance.

I don't see much AR dominance in my games tbh. Even my teammates from GAF mainly use HCs and SRs and they destroy. I'm one of the few left that use ARs here. In PVP, it's almost nostalgic when I hear a Suros. Hell, my SP can beat most Suros guys in 1v1. Maybe I just play too much lol

Zakalwe

Banned
I are lots of videos of people using ads to full auto on TLW at mid range. Use hip fire for the bonuses. Much more effective.

TLW > VoC > Shotgun/Fusion > Handcannons/Sniper/Scout > AR

Personal preference.

Drop Regime in with TLW in terms of effectiveness, but I can't stand using it.

realcZk

Guys, I got Red Death!
It's my first exotic alright
Please don't laugh at me

It's not that bad, at all. The heal is pretty damn good.
The biggest thing with Red Death is going to be adjusting your aim for pulse rifles. For things like Vex, etc - you'll want to aim at their crotch so all three bursts land in the crit zone. For enemies with smaller heads, aim at the neck,etc.

I find it a lot harder to die in crazy gunfights with the Red Death. I have mine fully upgraded and if you have the spare energy I feel it's worth it.

If there's any pulse rifle in the game ATM that's worth using, its Red Death for the heal. And the damage it outputs is pretty comparable with other guns if you can land all three burst shots where you want to.

Also another tip with red death, I recommend using the high caliber rounds for the stagger on enemies. It says it negatively affects the gun's stability, but I haven't found this to be true. I've compared bullet recoil patterns with it off/on and they are identical.

gatti-man

SUROS is still insanely good for PvP. 100% stability and extra dmg while ADS plus last half of mag. One of the easiest guns to get headshots with in the game.

Thorn is the funniest gun in the game. Its ridiculously op in pvp yet very few people talk about it and bungie wants to buff it. Its a hand cannon that can snipe and two hit kill with Dot damage. I mean yeah that sounds balanced to me lol.

joecanada

This is the first game in a while where I feel lag and hit detection are not a problem like in COD or BF. There is the occasional player who is ice skating across the map and is untouchable, but that's only happened a handful of times.

I do think the PVP has some serious balance issues though. ARs and shotguns need a huge nerf. Bungie needs to keep PVE and PVP separate and make other guns worth using. When's the last time anyone used or even got killed by a pulse rifle? It's ridiculous.

you must be a rare connection lottery winner, because the primary reason I can't keep up the pvp is the horrendous lag, punching people and they die a full second later, sometimes even 2 seconds it's almost comical at times.

X-Frame

Thorn PvP users, are using the Range perk or the Perfect Balance perk?

I really wish instead of bars it showed actual numbers, like a number in meters for the range value.

realcZk

Thorn PvP users, are using the Range perk or the Perfect Balance perk?

I really wish instead of bars it showed actual numbers, like a number in meters for the range value.

Send It (range) for sure. Perfect balance isn't needed.
The gun is literally as effective as a sniper rifle at range. If you can see someone, you can pop them.

Sometimes I've camped on first light and sniped people with thorn just for fun, there's a pencil-tip sized head in the distance that is suddenly wondering why they are about to die from poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom