• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Destiny is loosing it's grip on me. Did not bother with the raid last week (though I might have if I had had more time), and yesterday did the Nightfall on my other character and it did not actually feel exciting at all. Everything feels like it is something I have already seen.

It's okay though, I had my fun and I'm actually happy this did not end up being a new MMO that I would sink all my free time for many many months.

Ended up getting an exotic from the raid chest today as well! A second Universal Remote...
And a second Fatebringer. RNGesus be praised.

This one goes out to you Oracle Cheeseheads. Hate killing the cubby Oracle? Find a cubby of your own. Mentioned the spot before, but I was screwing around with share factory and put it on video. There's more than one way to get up there and it also can help lower level players get through when playing 'legit.'
Video
WEBM

Side note. It's pretty funny that you Share Factory can't look in the same folder you are forced to drop USB music in. It's another classic expected quirk of the system.

Ran HM Oracles/Templar x2. Had a pair of 27s with us so I sent 1 to that exact spot. All went well. Think 2 ppl walked away with fatebringer saw gloves and chest armor drop as well. Thanks go out to qwell for showing me that spot.

EL CUCO

Ran the Hard Raid twice. Only thing worth to speak of was the Raid Chest but I already have Praxic Fire...my quest for Boots continues :(
#Forever29

Big thanks to Heel for the checkpoint!

I feel like Destiny is loosing it's grip on me. Did not bother with the raid last week (though I might have if I had had more time), and yesterday did the Nightfall on my other character and it did not actually feel exciting at all. Everything feels like it is something I have already seen.

It's okay though, I had my fun and I'm actually happy this did not end up being a new MMO that I would sink all my free time for many many months.

Same. Hit level 30, and there isn't much else to do, besides play PvP and get your KD up (I'd rather do that with COD than this game). I will probably come back and play more when Iron Banner comes back, and get my hands on some 30 light gear and sort of differentiate my character from looking like other level 30 characters out there

Yeah, it's totally out of step with Destiny's movement design. Unlimited sprint. Double and triple jumps, levitation. You can really flow through environments quickly and with great verticality. Wanna aim straight? You have to turn into a nearly stationary turret.

Fighting enemies like Knights and Minotaurs really brings this to stark relief. We can doge projectiles, or return fire. But can't really dodge and shoot at the same time, from all but the longest of ranges. It's almost comic having to go into ADS mode for these tiny bursts just to line up a shot. It's for this reason that I use a scout rifle for my primary weapon, and a sniper rifle for my secondary: I pick off most encounters from long range so I don't have grapple with the juxtaposition of fluid movement and shoddy aiming mechanics.

Agreed! I never really thought about it, but I've been rocking scout rifles since day one and that's probably the reason why more than anything. Hip firing is such a huge penalty in this game given how different crit damage is, especially after the patches. My VoC does ~240ish to VoG goblins body shots, but ~890 crits. Massive, MASSIVE difference, but when I'm up close and personal with a gaggle of them and a minotaur/praetorian nearby, I don't have the option to go ADS for crits.

The VoC aims reasonably well so I'm still able to crit ~40-50% of shots hip-firing, but when the shit hits the fan that goes down, leading to a lot of jumping backwards and whipping out Gjallarhorn to clear an area of enemies.

I'm very disheartened that the creators of Halo thought it was a good idea to put ADS into such a fluid game, where the gunplay could've been so much better and more fulfilling without it.

GhaleonEB

Wait, there are people who dislike ADS? u wot m8? I don't even. etc.

It's not comical because that is how shooting a projectile weapon works. It's just that simple. Shooting from the hip or while moving is never going to be accurate, no matter what John Woo would have you believe.

1) Ever play Halo? That was great.

2) Realistic shooting mechanics are important in a game with space magic?

I think ADS comes down to personal preference, but in Destiny's case I don't think it meshes well at ALL for reasons I've described (and lifeexpectancy, and others). It has nothing to do with being realistic and everything to do with being fun.

Stop reading my mind. I get so tired of the realism argument. It's a game. A game with space magic and a story that makes absolutely no sense. All that matters about games is whether they're fun to play, and ADS (especially in PvP) isn't fun.

Bungie, if you ever patch this, I swear to God...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmpBN7L46AU&feature=youtu.be

That guy got a sub from me just for the Aladdin reference, lol. I now have a reason to boot up Destiny again this week!

Has anyone managed to get to 30 with all three different classes?

If I bothered to level the gear on my hunter he'd be 30, and my titan is only the raid boots away from 30. Warlock was my first 30. But I just don't have the desire to grind materials/bounties anymore.

Qwell

My Titan and Lock are both 30 ... my hunter who has ran the raid just as many times as them ... meaning lots of times, maybe 7 weeks in a row now .... doesn't have a single piece of raid gear. My Lock just got back to back raid chest, first from the Oracles and then from the Templar ... thanks raid, you swell.

NeOak

Should I ditch the Increased Grenade Throw Distance for more Discipline? The other stat would be a repeat from my Raid helmet (Grenade hits restore melee energy) and i know they do not stack.

And If i'm already 29, should I max the remaining legendary piece to +27 light?

One guy on my friends list has all 3 at 30. I've got a 30 titan + hunter, but my warlock has needed gauntlets for the last couple weeks. Honestly its the only armor or weapon I really want before the expansion.

Played the hard raid first, got drops then normal and not a single thing dropped for me.

You get double drops if you play hard first (the drop for "normal" and hard), but both drops will actually pull from the hard loot table, e.g. one character got two raid helmets after Atheon this week. So you get all possible weekly raid drops if you do hard raid first.

kidko

Raid RNG says here's a purple solar rocket launcher.

Nightfall RNG says here's a purple solar rocket launcher.

/logout

Played the hard raid first, got drops then normal and not a single thing dropped for me.

apparently that's by design

Qwell

If you run the raid on Hard you get both sets of drops, what you would have gotten on a normal run + what you would have gotten on the hard run.

Two Nightfalls and two weekly strikes completed, all i got was shite, blue engrams, a bunch of coins, ass energies and a piece of shit legendary sniper rifle with stupid perks that i will dismantle today, i already own around 10 sniper rifles goddammit, all of them way better than this one.

This game man, this game...anyway, one character to go, and i guess that today i will play the raid with my main too, i hope that this time RNGesus feels like giving something decent, raid gauntlets for example, so i could reach 30 (fat chance), fucking Vision Of Confluence would be good too (yeah, that weapon that all my buddies got more than once while i´m drowning in fucking chatterwhites).

Got my Hunter gloves tonight!! Big thanks to raid team. A couple of the other guys got their last piece as well, so there was a big party after the oracles. It was a real pleasure going through without any real mistakes. We still goofed off a bit, but when it came down to the encounters everyone was on point and each stage went about as quickly as possible. Normal really felt like easy mode tonight.

2real4tv

Will be running raid preferably hard mode at about 8:30-9:00 est if anyone interested should have three open slots. Bigmanny287 ps4

areal

Hmm... have a good roadmap for getting a new character to 20? Or just do all story missions and then grind in the Crucible?
There's this:
At the start (i.e level 2), use crucible to level up your character to the required heroic level for the story mission, doesn't matter if you suck you get quite a bit of xp just finishing a match, only do the large Icon story missions (again, use crucible to hit the required heroic levels) and do bounties when you get them, bounties play a larger role in levelling up when you hit level 12 (when all 12 bounties are available in the bounty hunter) and keep going.

I got my 2 alts to level 20 in 2 days only doing 7 story missions for each. (banzai!).

Ok last week, I got to atheon twice on two characters, spend 3+ hours failing before giving up.

That said, anyone willing to help with normal atheon right now? 5 people lf1m

soundpross

Neo Member
thanks for the raid guys. ill be on for tomorrow if anyone wants to raid again. Ill probably use my titan or hunter this time around tho

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Two buddies I raid with have 3 30s. I just got Titan gloves tonight, so I'll have 2 30s.

Yeah, great music choice.

Did the gloves drop in normal or hard? I just need those to hit 30. I have THREE Gjallarhorns. Third one dropped in normal raid a few minutes ago. Sigh.

Anybody up for a hard raid? Level 29 Defender Titan. PSN Tokunbo.

If you like PvE, then listen to what the game is saying. Titan = best pve class imo. Only takes 7-8 hrs to level a new character to 20.

Lol Titan best PvE class? In your dreams mate, in your dreams. Warlocks destroy in PvE if they're played right. But it's all a matter of preference, so if Titan works for you then rock on mate, rock on.

I think ADS comes down to personal preference, but in Destiny's case I don't think it meshes well at ALL for reasons I've described (and lifeexpectancy, and others). It has nothing to do with being realistic and everything to do with being fun.

1) I agree there, but I think it would have been better with ADS ;p

2) Yes, unless we are looking at some sort of homing projectile or magic bullets like the one that killed JFK. Just because you can use space magic doesn't somehow make physics on projectiles and aiming different.

I also think the addition of ADS is important not because it is realistic but because it means better gameplay flow. It adds an element of strategy to running and gunning as you have to split your concentration between moving and firing. Otherwise PvP and such would be a mess of people running around spraying and praying. I believe that ADS in almost every case will mean a better gameplay flow as you SHOULD be forced to choose between moving and firing accurately.

But yeah, I can understand where you are coming from! I just absolutely love looking down the sights as it feels more immersive to me.

NukeLaser

Am I going crazy? I was playing right as the reset hit the servers last night, and it said that the Iron Banner had started again. The back gate was open and I could talk to the vendor as well. I got up to play today and its nowhere to be found. Was it a mistake or was I having a fever dream?

Jinjo

Lol Titan best PvE class? In your dreams mate, in your dreams. Warlocks destroy in PvE if they're played right. But it's all a matter of preference, so if Titan works for you then rock on mate, rock on.

As a Titan even I have to agree with you. Warlock is the best class hands down. Revive glitch makes them even better in PvE and they're superversatile in PvP too. Started levelling one now with the goal to make that my main.

So did Bungie ever say something about yesterday's phantom Iron Banner event?

TTG

I also think the addition of ADS is important not because it is realistic but because it means better gameplay flow. It adds an element of strategy to running and gunning as you have to split your concentration between moving and firing. Otherwise PvP and such would be a mess of people running around spraying and praying. I believe that ADS in almost every case will mean a better gameplay flow as you SHOULD be forced to choose between moving and firing accurately.

Let me summon my best Ghaleon here:

Ever play Halo Counter Strike?

We don't have to get into a whole thing, but think of ADS(in combination with auto aim, but it's a whole lot easier to hide auto aim when you snap that zoom on) as turning Gran Turismo into Mario Cart. You may love Mario Cart much more, but ADS is not about adding much of anything mechanically.

maomaoIYP

As a Titan even I have to agree with you. Warlock is the best class hands down. Revive glitch makes them even better in PvE and they're superversatile in PvP too. Started levelling one now with the goal to make that my main.

So did Bungie ever say something about yesterday's phantom Iron Banner event?

I agree that Warlocks are indeed the most versatile for all situations. Hunters are the best for PvP though. I still can't figure out what Titans are good for.

Pretty convincing argument.

Lol not sure if sarcasm or what, but I wasn't trying to convince anyone. Everyone has their preference. I have all three classes raid ready and I feel like much more of a walking tool of destruction on my Warlock than I do on the Titan or Hunter.

Especially sunsinger.... man when that super is up and I throw two greanades, then activate my super and throw 8 more, with a 9th one added after the super completion due to the rapid recharge at the end... that's 11 solar grenades carpet bombing the entire room. It's insane.

Not to mention the melee shield buff. With a Titan, you have to kill the enemy with your melee to get the buff. As a sunbro, you merely have to punch the nearest enemy (and not even make contact, as the 'punch' is more of a 'force push' which means it has range on it). I can't count how many times I've been in the weeds with goblins/minotaur around me in the templar room with my health down to a sliver and I just punch in the general direction of the nearest enemy and voila, flame shield or whatever its called, and I continue on my merry path of destruction.

The nail in the coffin is the self revive. A group of six sunsingers makes hard mode laughable in the raid.

But as I said everyone has their preference and I don't begrudge it at all. I certainly do love it when a defense Titan is nearby with the bubble at the ready for popping in and out of it to grab that shield buff. Perhaps Titan is best PvE group>support while Warlock is best PvE for weapons of mass destruction. I was just poking fun. :)

Edit: Also it may just be RNG at work, but I've gotten much more +heavy weapon ammo armor on my Lock than the other two. Max gear set I have 8 rockets on my warlock, but only 6 on my hunter and titan.

Rubenov

Is there any way to know which one of your characters completed the raid? I did it in one of them but can't remember which one :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom