• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakJohn

zlp6Cs9.png

got this at the HM gatekeepers today. was beginning to think it didn't exist.

Jinjo

I agree that Warlocks are indeed the most versatile for all situations. Hunters are the best for PvP though. I still can't figure out what Titans are good for.

Hunters are definitely the best PvP class yeah. I suck as a Titan in PvP, but when I got my Hunter alt levelled my KD went from barely a 1.0 (more like 0.8) to a nice fat 1.5, so a change in class basicly doubled that number. Way less matches played but I couldn't believe myself when I killed like 4-5 guys with my Golden Gun super in the span of 5 seconds. Penetration & Explosive rounds with Achlyophage Symbiote = sogood.gif. Guess their supers sucking for PvE is a fair trade-off.

Hunters are definitely the best PvP class yeah. I suck as a Titan in PvP, but when I got my Hunter alt levelled my KD went from barely a 1.0 (more like 0.8) to a nice fat 1.5, so a change in class basicly doubled that number. Way less matches played but I couldn't believe myself when I killed like 4-5 guys with my Golden Gun super in the span of 5 seconds. Penetration & Explosive rounds with Achlyophage Symbiote = sogood.gif. Guess their supers sucking for PvE is a fair trade-off.

I usually play as a defender titan on control and mostly get a K/D > 1. Once I leveled VOC and Invective it became higher.

People just can't stay out of my bubble :-D

Jinjo

I usually play as a defender titan on control and mostly get a K/D > 1. Once I leveled VOC and Invective it became higher.

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong then. I usually go for Striker. Got Armamentarium fully leveled and I imagine double lightning grenades are really good though. Haven't played much PvP lately.

Wii U is taking up all my Destiny time.

BreakJohn

It would be better if it didn't. Doesn't deserve being called a raid gun :/

Lol yea i know what you mean, pulse rifles in general need some sort of overhaul because they just don't seem to fit into this game. regardless the only one i need now is the fusion rifle and i'll have every raid gun. i saw one of my teammates get it at the oracles and i heard the templar gives it as well. but even though we run the hard raid twice every week he's the only one to get the fusion rifles out of all of us.

The whole advantage Warlocks have is that you don't have to play right.

Lol play right? Nah. Self revive is just a perk, icing on the cake. I've done flawless raider more than once so I definitely know how to play right, and I still think Warlocks would be the best PvE class even without it.

Lol Titan best PvE class? In your dreams mate, in your dreams. Warlocks destroy in PvE if they're played right. But it's all a matter of preference, so if Titan works for you then rock on mate, rock on.

Umm... ok. Apparently you missed the "imo" part. I like Warlocks (I have a Lv29) but they don't have a team-wide 35% damage buff that also gives defensive protection. Self-res is great but useless for flawless runs which is all I care about nowadays. Titan bubble is much more useful for hard/flawless raids since it can save both yourself and your teammates from dying. I run a weekly hard raid with each class just fine but titan has the highest ceiling for a well coordinated team due to Illuminted WoL.

squidyj

how can i tell if an unupgraded piece of armor has a better base amount of a stat than an upgraded piece of armor?

Umm... ok. Apparently you missed the "imo" part. I like Warlocks (I have a Lv29) but they don't have a team-wide 35% damage buff that also gives defensive protection. Self-res is great but useless for flawless runs which is all I care about nowadays. Titan bubble is much more useful for hard/flawless raids since it can save both yourself and your teammates from dying. I run a weekly hard raid with each class just fine but titan has the highest ceiling for a well coordinated team due to Illuminted WoL.

warlocks self-res though. The forgiveness that gives to a hard raid, it's hugely valuable.

....and they can infinitely self-res if you can be quick on the respec

>>die with fireborn
>>spec out of fireborn
>>respawn
>>spec back into fireborn

Man I was just razzing you, as mentioned in my subsequent posts. Everyone has their preference/opinion. I think I mentioned subsequently that Titans are probably better for group support but warlocks are better for being a weapon of mass destruction (which is my preferred playstyle).

zlp6Cs9.png

got this at the HM gatekeepers today. was beginning to think it didn't exist.

I'd love to get that just so I could have a primary of all three damage types, to go alongside my VoC and Epilogue. Is that one only on Hard mode? If so it'd give me a reason to start playing hard mode again, since I bailed on it after no longer needing the raid helm on any class.

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong then. I usually go for Striker. Got Armamentarium fully leveled and I imagine double lightning grenades are really good though. Haven't played much PvP lately.

Wii U is taking up all my Destiny time.

Yes, I burnt out on games and am taking a 2 week break.

Nightfall haul:

#1: Universal Remote
#2: 9 Strange Coins

90% of my kills in PvP come from shotguns so I was excited about Universal Remote. After a bunch of PvP with it, it's going into the vault. My biggest problem with it is the dilemma it causes with my loadout. What do I use for range? I can't snipe and fusions aren't exactly scout rifles.

I also did some serious vault cleaning. Sharded a bunch of shitty ledgendary snipers, shotguns and Preatorians Revenge. Fate Bringer damn near got sharded too, I'm just not gonna use that thing. I wish there was sharing because I'm sure that fate bringer could find a good home.

Man I was just razzing you, as mentioned in my subsequent posts. Everyone has their preference/opinion. I think I mentioned subsequently that Titans are probably better for group support but warlocks are better for being a weapon of mass destruction (which is my preferred playstyle)..

Yeah, it's no problem. It was just a little strange since I don't know you/haven't played with you before. There are tons of people around here I play with and we razz each other all the time, haha.

Illum. WoL + maxed Gjall is the most massive of mass DPS destruction. I should clarify that I'm talking explicitly about PvE and especially raiding since that's where I spend almost all my time these days. Edit: For heavy ammo armor, my titan has 8 Gjallahorn rockets, I think all classes can have the same max amount if you get the right gear for them.

Yes, I burnt out on games and am taking a 2 week break.

We miss you Dhruv :(

I have an agonizingly close flawless run video I'm trying to upload. New guy in our team choked when trying to run a 2 man Atheon portal with me. If only you had been there...

maomaoIYP

I don't know how to play Titans effectively in PvP, do you have any tips?
My Striker is maxed. I can't guess-timate shoulder charge distances and even when I do, sometimes the lag robs me of a kill. Fist of Havoc is really a close ranged super, and while I like Death from Above, it only makes the super marginally better. Also for a close ranged character, they have the worst melee attack.

I do know how to deal with the Defender's super though. Walk away, or counter super into it. I love it when three dudes are inside the bubble and I throw my Nova Bomb right in.

BreakJohn

I'd love to get that just so I could have a primary of all three damage types, to go alongside my VoC and Epilogue. Is that one only on Hard mode? If so it'd give me a reason to start playing hard mode again, since I bailed on it after no longer needing the raid helm on any class.

yea i'm pretty sure its hard mode only, got it at the gatekeepers. though i'm not sure if thats the only part that drops it. its the only one i've seen drop, no one else in my group has it and we were beginning to believe it wasn't real lol.

I called it so hard yesterday that I'd get another Fatebringer after crying for one for weeks and finally getting one last week and fully upgraded it. I had it equipped when it dropped too.

RNG my butt

warlocks self-res though. The forgiveness that gives to a hard raid, it's hugely valuable. ....and they can infinitely self-res if you can be quick on the respec

Trust me, I love my infinite self-res glitching Warlock. There's virtually no difficulty difference for me running hard raid with my 30 Defender or 29 Sunsinger. It's completely dependent on the strength of the team. There's just no substitute for 35% damage increase.

That sucks. I don't get why/how raiders can choke on normal.

It keeps me up at night, lol. Dude had a maxed Corrective Measure but was shooting oracles with his Atheon's Epilogue (maxed, but still...). Obviously a maxed AE is more than enough to solo the oracles but he just skipped the 3rd one and started shooting the 4th and 5th. I noticed the 3rd was still up, dropped the relic, and killed it at the exact moment that oracles wiped us. Brutal.

Wait, there are people who dislike ADS? u wot m8? I don't even. etc.

It's not comical because that is how shooting a projectile weapon works. It's just that simple. Shooting from the hip or while moving is never going to be accurate, no matter what John Woo would have you believe.

Yes there are plenty of people that hates forced iron sights, including me. This is a videogame, logic doesn't matter, mechanics do. Halo game had great crosshair aiming for consoles. Destiny has terrible iron sights with it's stupid ass auto sticky aim.

Trust me, I love my infinite self-res glitching Warlock. There's virtually no difficulty difference for me running hard raid with my 30 Defender or 29 Sunsinger. It's completely dependent on the strength of the team. There's just no substitute for 35% damage increase.

It keeps me up at night, lol. Dude had a maxed Corrective Measure but was shooting oracles with his Atheon's Epilogue (maxed, but still...). Obviously a maxed AE is more than enough to solo the oracles but he just skipped the 3rd one and started shooting the 4th and 5th. I noticed the 3rd was still up, dropped the relic, and killed it at the exact moment that oracles wiped us. Brutal.

No kidding man. I really don't get how people can choke on normal. It's like baby mode these days, even with most of the exploits patched out. When my group did our first flawless, it was doing everything legit, no exploits, so I didn't even mind when they were patched out. But getting to the jumping room four times with no one dying and having someone choke and miss a jump ALL FOUR TIMES (one guy choked 3 consecutive flawless runs... on the jumps... like he never played Mario or something) was mind bogglingly frustrating.

And yeah you're right about hard mode being entirely dependent on the strength of the group. I've been in HM runs that were a breeze, and others that were hours of annoyance b/c people didn't know their shit well. The patch to Aetheon teleporting random people is what did it for me and made me not want to go back to HM, because if I'm not with my regular crew it just isn't worth the headache, as much as I would like that arc dmg pulse rifle primary.

The nightfall this week gave me a single heavy legendary engram that turned into 2 ass energies. Combined with only getting shards in a normal raid, I feel a little let down this week.

Not that it matters I have enough guns to level up already without adding more.

I know that the fatebringer can only be obtained via the Hard raid, but what about the ridiculously rare fusion rifle and pulse rifles?

Hard, or can you get them on normal too?

Ideally, after beating the Raid (or, more specifically, beating all the glitches impeding me) on Hard last week, I'd just as soon stay the hell away from that difficulty for awhile, at least until I hit level 30.

Normal is fun though. At 29, the boss encounters are still challenging, while the rather mindless waves of AI-devoid enemies are pretty easily dispatched.

We miss you Dhruv :(

I have an agonizingly close flawless run video I'm trying to upload. New guy in our team choked when trying to run a 2 man Atheon portal with me. If only you had been there...

I am humbled by being wanted but I'm sorry Dr.D. Running all those runs took it's toll on me. I was looking at my performance and it dropped on consecutive runs and the jumping puzzle induced more stress than I would like from a game.

I went ahead and deleted the game after failing that day.
I will be back tough, fresh and better on sat evening. It's fun playing with you guys and yeah I'll be back for that.

What if I Bladedance into your bubble? Even if I'm blinded the auto-targeting will get you.

For Bladedancers I stand at the edge of my bubble and maximize the distance and then *Thunk* *Thunk* *Thunk* three shots from Invective and the Bladedancer is dead.
Armor of Light does give you a fighting chance against Bladedancers

Zakalwe

Banned
People choke on flawless because of the pressure.

And obtaining flawless pre-patch was much easier for a good team. Random teleporting is nothing to worry about, the problem is that
post patch it's a glitch filled nightmare. It adds to the pressure because you're guaranteed a random set of glitches each time, you have no way of knowing how the game will behave.

Yes it's technically easy in terms of the mechanics (up to Atheon at least) but that's not everything to consider.

Tomeru

Man, gonna be a long long time before I try for that trophy.

In the mean time, finnaly got the fatebringer. And what a bringer of fate it is!

SAiLO

Completed the Nightfall and Heroic strikes last night. For some reason the heroic strike was taking forever, we didn't get wiped, just the sponge boss...

RNG gave me two copies of the same legendary machine gun in solar and void flavours. I need rocket launchers RNG!

I am humbled by being wanted but I'm sorry Dr.D. Running all those runs took it's toll on me. I was looking at my performance and it dropped on consecutive runs and the jumping puzzle induced more stress than I would like from a game.

I went ahead and deleted the game after failing that day.
I will be back tough, fresh and better on sat evening. It's fun playing with you guys and yeah I'll be back for that.

I can completely understand your feelings here. You are a great player but much more importantly you've always been a really nice guy and fun to play with. Obviously you always have a spot on our team if you ever re-install the game.

People choke on flawless because of the pressure.

And obtaining flawless pre-patch was much easier for a good team. Random teleporting is nothing to worry about, the problem is that
post patch it's a glitch filled nightmare. It adds to the pressure because you're guaranteed a random set of glitches each time, you have no way of knowing how the game will behave.

Yes it's technically easy in terms of the mechanics (up to Atheon at least) but that's not everything to consider.

As I always say, the jumps don't kill people, the stress does. And the glitches really exacerbate the stress because they are so rampant and unpredictable. It was so confusing when the GK regen'ed his health on that one run that I just assumed people had been helping me down him before. Of course its easy to see now that I had always been solo'ing him, but the glitches can be so disorienting.

How does he have 80% health after 4 maxed IB crits ?!? .... Nobody is helping me! .... F you guys! Arhghgh !!!!

Zakalwe

Banned
Ha. You don't ever want to know what that rocket felt like...

-

That's it man, everything that could potentially worry you gets compounded.

If teleports would behave and always take 3 random people it would remove so much stress. All we'd need is a perfect run to Atheon and we do that all the time.

Getting to Atheon currently feels like the /start/ of the flawless attempt (jump puzzle aside, of course), it should feel like the home stretch.

Yes there are plenty of people that hates forced iron sights, including me. This is a videogame, logic doesn't matter, mechanics do. Halo game had great crosshair aiming for consoles. Destiny has terrible iron sights with it's stupid ass auto sticky aim.

Oh you won't get any argument regarding auto aim from me. I fucking despise that shit, especially in Destiny.

As I said though, although part of the reason is logic I believe that ADS equals better mechanics for a shooter like this.

I mean Shotguns are already incredible at short range in PvP. Do you really want people able to run around without slowing down and shoot accurately? Does that sound like a good idea?

For a shooter you should have to aim to fire accurately. It makes for better gameplay as far as I am concerned. As I said, I like the fact that you have to sacrifice movement for accuracy. That is how it should be designed in my opinion.

Also, the Halo comparison is complete bullshit as far as I am concerned. The movement style and speed of the gameplay is completely different.
If you really think that blade dancers with the fast dash/long slide being able to slide into a room and shoot an invective blindly without aiming is a good idea then there should be a special level of hell reserved for you! :p

I don't know how to play Titans effectively in PvP, do you have any tips?
My Striker is maxed. I can't guess-timate shoulder charge distances and even when I do, sometimes the lag robs me of a kill. Fist of Havoc is really a close ranged super, and while I like Death from Above, it only makes the super marginally better. Also for a close ranged character, they have the worst melee attack.

I do know how to deal with the Defender's super though. Walk away, or counter super into it. I love it when three dudes are inside the bubble and I throw my Nova Bomb right in.

I've been out of PVP for a while but I was good ( way to blow my own trumpet :p ) when I did play. Here are just my tips for budding strikerlings and defenderlings

For Defenderlings
  • Play Control. Your super is most effective in this game type
  • Be selfish equip Armor of light and increase the duration of Ward of Dawn. Armor of light is a better over-shield than Blessing and buffs you up to ludicrous levels. You will be able to take on bladedancers if you plan accordingly.
  • Speaking of planning, when in your bubble stay at the edge. This helps in two ways
    A) You maximize the distance between you and your enemies giving you more time to kill them
    B) Walking out and back in refreshes your Armor of light.
  • Suppression grenades are good if you want to cause inconvenience and confusion but Magnetic grenades give you an assured kill. If people are looking at me dancing in my bubble I pop out throw a mag grenade and walk back in. 100+ points for me.
  • Defenders defend. We are martyrs and act as diversions. Getting a gunslinger or blade dancer to waste their super on you while your team captures another point is what we're meant to do.
  • For gear you MUST have Helm of Saint 14 and a shotgun I usually run with invective as I don't need to hunt for ammo and I like the auto fire perk. For my primary weapon I go with VOC to get good range and Corrective measure ( I'm not that good with RLs and you don't wanna blow yourself up in your bubble)

For Strikerlings
  • Shoulder charge is the best ability you can equip. I have won rumble matches just by endlessly shouldercharging my opponents. Practice on mobs first .If your enemy is hidden but close by run in a circle twice and proceed. That should give you enough sprint to charge it up.
  • Shoulder Charge works best as a sneak attack and remember exercise that op range before bungie nerfs it. I used to get in too close before unleashing it but with practice you can judge the maximum distance between you and your enemy for a guaranteed kill.
  • For grenades I prefer flashbangs. Even if you don't end up killing someone the disorientation caused by it works in your favor and you can damage opponents a little then meele for a kill. If you're playing control try plopping a lightning grenade at a control point( try to stick them to a wall if possible)
  • For gear I go with the same weapons as defenders but for armor I use the armamentarium having two grenades is better than the Death from above perk.
  • Always have your shotgun equipped when you're going for a shoulder charge. It comes handy if you miss or your opponent has friends.
  • Go with the chance of immediate recovery of storm fist perk. I find that to be the most useful perk for pvp.

Recovery stat needs to given the utmost priority. Recovering health quickly from firefights outweighs running faster or absorbing one more bullet.

WITHE1982

Please don't nerf the Thorn =X

i92livr2uFgb2.png

Isn't it due for a buff soon?

I'm just in the process of leveling mine up. One more upgrade to unlock Mark Of The Devourer then I'll give it a whirl in PVP.

TBH I think the only buff I'd give it is a larger mag. 6 shots and a slow ass reload time really kill the gun, in PVE anyway.

Shito

We are arguing about Destiny's shooting mechanics, now?
Damn, that is something I though we would never get into, seeing as it's one of the only thing the game gets some damn right. ^^

On that subject, I prefer Destiny to Halo so. damn. much.
I like iron sights, I like its auto aim, and I *love* the recoil.
It makes me feel like I am actually shooting something with impact, compared to Halo which always gave me the impression of doing a war with a pea shooter.

Of course, to each its own, but I wouldn't have spent so many hours on Destiny without all these. Not one bit.

We are arguing about Destiny's shooting mechanics, now?
Damn, that is something I though we would never get into, seeing as it's one of the only thing the game gets some damn right. ^^

On that subject, I prefer Destiny to Halo so. damn. much.
I like iron sights, I like its auto aim, and I *love* the recoil.
It makes me feel like I am actually shooting something with impact, compared to Halo which always gave me the impression of doing a war with a pea shooter.

Of course, to each its own, but I wouldn't have spent so many hours on Destiny without all these. Not one bit.

Yeah, I was honestly surprised as well. It feels like a case of rose-colored nostalgia glasses.

As far as I can understand, the argument seems to be that the movement and style of the game is so fast that stopping to aim is detrimental to the gameplay flow. However, I see it as the complete opposite. Forcing you to sacrifice movement for accuracy is part of why I think the shooting mechanics feel so good in the game.

But yeah, to each its own. Just gonna have to agree to disagree here. ;)

Isn't it due for a buff soon?

I'm just in the process of leveling mine up. One more upgrade to unlock Mark Of The Devourer then I'll give it a whirl in PVP.

TBH I think the only buff I'd give it is a larger mag. 6 shots and a slow ass reload time really kill the gun, in PVE anyway.

MotD perk is seriously one of the best perks you can have for Crucible. Unsung Hero medals galore! 6-round clip isn't too bad, I'd rather have increased fire rate and/or stability for the gun. Reload speed is fine if you've got gauntlets that improve reload speed with HCs. Can't wait for that Thron buff, hopefully Bungie hasn't forgotten about it.

Ideally, after beating the Raid (or, more specifically, beating all the glitches impeding me) on Hard last week, I'd just as soon stay the hell away from that difficulty for awhile, at least until I hit level 30.

Normal is fun though. At 29, the boss encounters are still challenging, while the rather mindless waves of AI-devoid enemies are pretty easily dispatched.

I agree, the raid on hard when we're 29 is not that fun. The main issue is the damage penalty for being one level below, it takes a while for anything to go down.

And when you just get ass mats all the way for doing it like I did this weekend, your reaction is just "Fuck this! I'll come back once I'm 30. Whenever that is thanks to RNGeebus..."

MotD perk is seriously one of the best perks you can have for Crucible. Unsung Hero medals galore! 6-round clip isn't too bad, I'd rather have increased fire rate and/or stability for the gun. Reload speed is fine if you've got gauntlets that improve reload speed with HCs. Can't wait for that Thron buff, hopefully Bungie hasn't forgotten about it.

They will neither buff nor nerf thorn. They will just make the crucible part of the bounty easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom