• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I reading that wrong or are they purposely implementing server side lag to make up for bad matchmaking?

That's exactly what you're reading.

Good Ol Bungie, play the game the way we want you to, with the response time we want you to.

If you don't like it, buy our DLC for £35 for a better experience.

shem935

Banned
I guess question becomes that is Bungie just lazy or straight out incompetent when it comes to games that use matchmaking and any kind netcode for linking people together.

Even if that 100ms "window of retaliation" wasn't true there is some major bullshit going on in Crucible. Getting killed by dead men [when they already are down or running around good amount of time after receiving lethal hit], hits not registering at all at times, people warping around and running into walls, kill trading being very common occurrence etc.

Edit:

It's more or less what that Bungie article says. They have hard coded in ~80 to 100 ms delay to "compensate" for latency differences between players. Differences caused by braindead matchmaking that matches people across continents.

Wow. That explains things. On the plus side all of the postmortem medals are really easy to get. Working as intended.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm still seeing a lot of Pocket Infinity, Suros and Mythoclast users. They don't know about the awesomeness that is Thorn - it's just so good. Once you understand how it works and you change your playstyle around it... one of the best guns in the game for Crucible.
Thorn takes effort. As you note, you need to center your playstyle around it (rather than just around "I'm using hand cannon"), and ideally build around it with at least a increased hand cannon reload speed mod via an exotic or legendary armor piece- and at best, taking advantage of War Machine, Surge, or Chain of Woe on the three subclasses with access to those traits. Beyond that using hand cannons in general means you have to aim, consider when not to fire, and make your shots count. You can't just equip it like you can a Regime or Shingen and start getting kills in fair fights. But in the right hands it's nasty as all hell.

I don't expect it to ever become a dominant weapon in the Crucible, but it's a truly badass choice.
almighty hunters of dinklegaf

whats the best-in-slot exotic for pve?

i'm assuming symbiote as the most useful...
All the Hunter exotics are very good, Exotics by their nature are unlikely to have true "best-in-slot" identities. As others have mentioned, Achylophage and Alpha Lupi are the two that are most effective without having to build around them at all (Achylophage only for Gunslingers of course). If you never switch off Gunslinger, Achylophage is indeed the most useful, and the best "Oracles? What oracles" item in the game.

For hand cannon users that switch back and forth between classes a lot Knucklehead is wonderful for positioning/avoiding death and keeps my super and melee (knives for Gunslinger) charged near-constantly. When wielding Hawkmoon I wouldn't want anything else. But when Pocket Infinity is on, it's the weapon I have out most of the time so Knucklehead gets stowed for Ahamkara's Spine, which significantly increases my effectiveness/DPS with PI via the reload speed buff (though if you have another armor piece with this ability, I'm still not clear on if the effects stack). Finally, Lucky Raspberry is pretty underrated and especially in team Strikes where getting revived isn't infrequent, the spawn with grenades can be a game changer. You can even let yourself die on purpose and be revived to refill your grenades, which during Arc and Solar burns can enable you to completely waste otherwise tough areas as long as you have one other person with you.

Mast of the Third Man is the only Hunter Exotic I legitimately can't recommend for PvE. But it looks cool and is certainly a good choice for PvP, so whatever.
My bad luck has ended!

B1r-UNTCMAARyNN.jpg:large

Also Fatebringer!
Thank you Kartik21, Kopyasu, ms1582, NuSzKa, Unknown837, Sebulon3k twas fun.
What a haul! Congrats!
I'm still really disappointed though :(
Does it have perfect balance to unlock?

LiK

Meh, diffrent strokes.

I'll be honest, most of my gun preferences are based around the scopes/ADS visuals.

There are quite a few in this game that I can't stand, and it keeps me from using certain guns at all.

What do you mean? SP has a nice ADS. I use the second one.

Pickman

So are Warlocks basically useless? I feel like everyone I'm seeing in game with lvl 30 and badass gear is a titan or hunter.

noomi

Guys... quick question...

If I only do the HM Atheon checkpoint, am I still able to go back and get all the other loot if another group does a fresh start?

Shito

So are Warlocks basically useless? I feel like everyone I'm seeing in game with lvl 30 and badass gear is a titan or hunter.
I'm only now leveling up a warlock, kinda regretting a bit having spent so much time on a hunter.
Warlock are OP, especially in PVE, especially if you intend on soloing weeklies or nightfalls.

realcZk

They do have bullshit grenades going for them though.

great grenades, great melee, blink, nova bomb, etc. very strong in pvp

weak in pve mostly as a sunsinger since they only help themselves
they can still help the team up until all the cheeses are patched though, since they do those well

Deku Tree

Does the weekly nightfall xp boost count towards your weapons too? Do telemetry ex count on top of the normal nightfall xp boost too? Thanks!

realcZk

Hunters are selfless players who doesn't contribte to anything but kill stealing. Dirty hunters taking all the loot

lets be honest, hunters are for pvp and pewpew
i have a 29 hunter and its my go-to for pvp because of gunslinger perks and handcannonery

my titan has much more versatile and useful pve builds, as well as much better exotic perk variety

zewone

Yes, they allow bad players to die not once, but twice!
This is true. In the hands of a good player it can make Heroic Raid a breeze.
I feel the complete opposite

Sunsinger ability is basically useless in PVP and Voidwalker supers only really shine in Control where everryone is forced to be in a designated spot.

Both Hunter supers are vastly more useful. I also prefer the agility of a Hunter over Warlock.

Grifter

It's more or less what that Bungie article says. They have hard coded in ~80 to 100 ms delay to "compensate" for latency differences between players. Differences caused by braindead matchmaking that matches people across continents.

Edit 2: Average reaction time of human is around 200 ms, give or take some, so giving 100 ms "extra" is huge crutch in fast situations.

Good to know! I can understand why they implemented this with the simultaneous melee but for me, I started the game by going for blink strike kills and had to stop cuz I'd deal a fatal strike and still eat melee/shotgun before they recognized the death.

Frustrating but I dunno, maybe in actuality, they shot me first. Seems like the blink gets me to point blank and prior to dying, they get a free hit in on me.

Shito

lets be honest, hunters are for pvp
i have a 29 hunter and its my go-to for pvp because of gunslinger perks

my titan has much more versatile and useful pve builds, as well as much better exotic perk variety
Yeah, as a hunter pve player, I feel quite limited.
That's why I started a warlock.
And I will probably level up a titan after that, seeing how the game keeps raining titan exotics and legendaries on me...

NeOak

Should I ditch the Increased Grenade Throw Distance for more Discipline? The other stat would be a repeat from my Raid helmet (Grenade hits restore melee energy) and i know they do not stack.

And If i'm already 29, should I max the remaining legendary piece to +27 light?

Should I ditch the Increased Grenade Throw Distance for more Discipline? The other stat would be a repeat from my Raid helmet (Grenade hits restore melee energy) and i know they do not stack.

Once you get to level 29, do not upgrade any non-raid or non-exotic gear.

lets be honest, hunters are for pvp and pewpew
i have a 29 hunter and its my go-to for pvp because of gunslinger perks and handcannonery

Agreed, hunters are much better for Pvp.
But all loot is hunter loot so I don't see what is issue here?
my hunter bro ;)
i have a lvl30 hunter as my main.

void666

Banned
I'm feeling bad. I kicked some gaffer from my fireteam yesterday.
I had him in my friends list for quite sometime. But never really did anything with him.

Yesterday i was doing nightfall with a friend. Third slot was free. We were in the boss room hiding behind the crates near the entrance. Gaffer joined and stood by the door. I'd have warned him but i was in a psn party and he wasn't. Phanlaxes spawned and killed him instantly. They killed my friend and almost got me before despawning. I revived both. Gaffer took two steps and died again. Ok. Invisible, revived him again. Three more steps and he died AGAIN. This time in a place i couldn't revive him easily. Oh god. I kicked him and another friend joined.

We felt bad about it. We decided to help him through nightfall but apparently he excluded me from his friends list.

Steroyd

No, you will only level up to 30 with something that has 30 light.

realcZk

This is true. In the hands of a good player it can make Heroic Raid a breeze.

Sunsinger ability is basically useless in PVP and Voidwalker supers only really shine in Control where everryone is forced to be in a designated spot.

Both Hunter supers are vastly more useful. I also prefer the agility of a Hunter over Warlock.

agility actually doesn't matter much in pvp as its normalized like most stats. max agility (on a hunter) vs least amount of agility possible (on a titan) lets you get places about .47 of a second faster in some cases

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgoDqz1ZnvA

in pve its more of a difference

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I think the horn is overrated, mostly because of the raid. I'm sure it's fantastic against the only enemy in the game that can not be hit with precision damage, but is that worth the exotic spot and a crazy grind(leveling up an exotic rocket launcher, I'm thinking that's almost exclusively a bounty deal)? All the Vault of Glass grinding distorts the usefulness of lugging that thing around.

I'd also like to mention that Truth with the javelin upgrade basically has the same damage output and is the superior pvp launcher to boot. I gotta admit, they're both collecting dust in my inventory because I mostly play pvp and there's no replacing a good LMG there, but Truth seems the sexier choice. Last but not least, Horn's solar damage means there will always be a conflict with Ice Breaker in Nightfalls, Truth is void.

Lmao. I have Ballerhorn AND Truth and it's not even CLOSE damage and usefulness-wise. Baller probably does three times as much damage as Truth (if not more) to single targets and it's also vastly, vastly superior for mobs. After the inital blast, you have Wolfpack which also seeks and wreck everything. Truth might have a slightly larger initial blast but that's it. Sorry man, you're just way off.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Warlocks are the best class for endgame PVE content.

I think they stink in PVP though.
they do not
great grenades, great melee, blink, nova bomb, etc. very strong in pvp

weak in pve mostly as a sunsinger since they only help themselves
they can still help the team up until all the cheeses are patched though, since they do those well
ha. both sunsinger and voidwalker are good throughout pve and pvp. Sunsingers have saved Nightfalls for the entire group (note: not just themselves) with Fireborn.

I hope that Sunsingers just continue to be underestimated in PvP, lol. My builds are just starting to come together and they will be glorious.

What's the difference between the Send It and Hammer Forged perk on the Hawkmoon? They both raise range and accuracy.
Send It is superior. Just look at the bars on the stats, not the words.
Personal preference, no real right answer.
No.

Trakan

I had him in my friends list for quite sometime. But never really did anything with him.

Yesterday i was doing nightfall with a friend. Third slot was free. We were in the boss room hiding behind the crates near the entrance. Gaffer joined and stood by the door. I'd have warned him but i was in a psn party and he wasn't. Phanlaxes spawned and killed him instantly. They killed my friend and almost got me before despawning. I revived both. Gaffer took two steps and died again. Ok. Invisible, revived him again. Three more steps and he died AGAIN. This time in a place i couldn't revive him easily. Oh god. I kicked him and another friend joined.

We felt bad about it. We decided to help him through nightfall but apparently he excluded me from his friends list.

Someone I don't know joining without asking is an instant boot and removal from my friend's list. You did nothing wrong.

We had a similar situation last night. Three of us were doing the NF and one dropped because of internet connection issues. Literally 1-2 mins later, people started joining in randomly from my friends list. I hated to be an asshole, but I had to kick them so our third could come back and finish.

I eventually turned it to invite only but, damn, do folks literally just sit on their friends list looking to join in on an event without asking?

Bizazedo

After grinding for days to get to New Monarchy rank 3 I finally bought the Vanquisher VIII, lots of people were hyping it up calling it the best legendary Auto Rifle.

But it sucks, jeez, and that's an understatement. Probably the worst AR I've ever used in Crucible, and on PvE it's just as bad. Slow, a tiny ass magazine and it's not even the most accurate one, the Shingen-E outshines this piece of crap. I'm so disapointed that I wasted 150 crucible marks for this, it's probably the worst decision I've ever made in this game.
Vanquisher VIII is great and is superior to the store / base version of Shadow Price. Barely, but it is, and only due to the way the upgrades / perks synergize.

The dropped version of Shadow Price with field scout (or whatever it is that gives it like a 40+ ammo clip) is better than the base Vanquisher VIII.

You have to upgrade the Vanq to really make it worthwhile, though, otherwise it's garbage.

I am only speaking for PvP, by the way. Vanquisher is average, at best, for PvE. I never use it for PvE.

joecanada

After grinding for days to get to New Monarchy rank 3 I finally bought the Vanquisher VIII, lots of people were hyping it up calling it the best legendary Auto Rifle.

But it sucks, jeez, and that's an understatement. Probably the worst AR I've ever used in Crucible, and on PvE it's just as bad. Slow, a tiny ass magazine and it's not even the most accurate one, the Shingen-E outshines this piece of crap. I'm so disapointed that I wasted 150 crucible marks for this, it's probably the worst decision I've ever made in this game.

The search for a good legendary Auto Rifle continues.

/end rant.

I'm still really disappointed though :(

If i were you I would level up some good handcannons and call it a day. ever since I found a red hand in a plain old purple engram I'm never going back... my grim citizen, suros, monte carlo, just sit there and collect dust.
plus if you can get a good purple one, it frees up your exotic slot....

(I don't recommend any old red hand though you should check other users reviews, mine just happened to have a range/stability perk and reload perks X2 ... )

Bizazedo

We had a similar situation last night. Three of us were doing the NF and one dropped because of internet connection issues. Literally 1-2 mins later, people started joining in randomly from my friends list. I hated to be an asshole, but I had to kick them so our third could come back and finish.

I eventually turned it to invite only but, damn, do folks literally just sit on their friends list looking to join in on an event without asking?

We had a whole tangent / argument about the social niceties of asking before you join. Some people see no issue with joining out of nowhere, others did.

I'm in the latter camp, but there is a surprising (to me) amount of people who will just barge in.

PuMa

We had a whole tangent / argument about the social niceties of asking before you join. Some people see no issue with joining out of nowhere, others did.

I'm in the latter camp, but there is a surprising (to me) amount of people who will just barge in.

I just don't understand why people don't change their fireteam to 'invite only' if they don't want people joining. Don't get upset if your fireteam is open (unless the person joining is an idiot).

Grimsen

Lack of matchmaking making people thristy for dat NF loot.

Kidding aside, I don't mind having people join my fireteams randomly. I just have to remember to set my fireteam to private when I don't, though, which can be a hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom