• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright GAF. I have 150 vanguard marks. TDYK (hand cannon) or Epitaph 2261 (sniper)?

I've heard great things about TDYK and would like a PvP and PvE hand cannone for my warlock (currently running an almost maxed thorn in PvP), but I'd also like a legendary sniper so I don't have to keep switching out my icebreaker when I want to equip my Gjallerhorn.

Recommendations? I'm leaning towards buying TDYK and trying to get PR to drop from the raid.

Shito

I just don't understand why people don't change their fireteam to 'invite only' if they don't want people joining. Don't get upset if your fireteam is open (unless the person joining is an idiot).
Problem is: it resets back to 'all friends' each time you login.
After a while, I can't get bothered changing it each time I launch the game.

PuMa

Ahhh, was that always the default? I don't remember that. Seems silly they wouldn't leave it at what you set it to.

Pray to RNGesus?

Nah, I'll just sacrifice some vex instead.

We had a similar situation last night. Three of us were doing the NF and one dropped because of internet connection issues. Literally 1-2 mins later, people started joining in randomly from my friends list. I hated to be an asshole, but I had to kick them so our third could come back and finish.

I eventually turned it to invite only but, damn, do folks literally just sit on their friends list looking to join in on an event without asking?

Imo if you don't want people on your friends list to join, you should either have your party set to invite only or disabled. If you have an open party why shouldn't friends join you?

That being said, I normally jump in to friends games and always welcome anyone joining me. If they join because someone got disconnected you can just ask them to leave nicely. Obviously, if they disrupt your activity and don't play as a team, feel free to kick them and remove from friends list.

LiK

It saved my setting for a day. Then they updated Destiny and it went back to defaulting to friends. I always set it to Invite only when I Farm. I usually leave it open for everything else.

LordofPwn

Shoulder charge gets shutdown by shotguns and fusion rifles. So... ?

still a one hit melee that goes up pretty quick.

You probably missed or grazed them? I can take out both of those attacks with RLs just fine.

I'm getting better at shotgunning Bladedancers as well.

lol the Truth doesn't miss... and i've gone almost point blank range with a rocket and not kill them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, new CoD really makes me realize how good Destiny is.
Mind expanding a little? I don't have any interest in CoD and I'm really curious about the community overlap.
Shoulder charge gets shutdown by shotguns and fusion rifles. So... ?
Bladedancers can't? :p
I think the horn is overrated, mostly because of the raid. I'm sure it's fantastic against the only enemy in the game that can not be hit with precision damage, but is that worth the exotic spot and a crazy grind(leveling up an exotic rocket launcher, I'm thinking that's almost exclusively a bounty deal)? All the Vault of Glass grinding distorts the usefulness of lugging that thing around.

I'd also like to mention that Truth with the javelin upgrade basically has the same damage output and is the superior pvp launcher to boot. I gotta admit, they're both collecting dust in my inventory because I mostly play pvp and there's no replacing a good LMG there, but Truth seems the sexier choice. Last but not least, Horn's solar damage means there will always be a conflict with Ice Breaker in Nightfalls, Truth is void.
Haha. not so much.

Nothing in the game is better against bosses than Gjallarhorn, just something to be aware of. It will be better to use on bosses than Ice Breaker during a solar burn. The "crazy grind" is completely unrelated to its effectiveness in combat, you have to consider it maxed to actually compare it to any other gun in conversation. With this in mind, Truth certainly doesn't have basically the same damage output.

Yes, it's worth the exotic slot, when facing a boss. I prefer to spend my exotic slot on something not-heavy in PvP but it functions just fine there too, though I agree an LMG of some kind is a typically better choice.
Alright GAF. I have 150 vanguard marks. TDYK (hand cannon) or Epitaph 2261 (sniper)?

I've heard great things about TDYK and would like a PvP and PvE hand cannone for my warlock (currently running an almost maxed thorn in PvP), but I'd also like a legendary sniper so I don't have to keep switching out my icebreaker when I want to equip my Gjallerhorn.

Recommendations? I'm leaning towards buying TDYK and trying to get PR to drop from the raid.
You most likely want TDYK for the legendary replacement. I don't know much about the Epitaph personally :(

realcZk

they do not
ha. both sunsinger and voidwalker are good throughout pve and pvp. Sunsingers have saved Nightfalls for the entire group (note: not just themselves) with Fireborn.

yeah, saving nightfalls for the team is nice, just have to save your super as a sunsinger until the right moment and not use it just to revive yourself as soon as you die, or use the exploit

Shito

Ahhh, was that always the default? I don't remember that. Seems silly they wouldn't leave it at what you set it to.

It saved my setting for a day. Then they updated Destiny and it went back to defaulting to friends. I always set it to Invite only when I Farm. I usually leave it open for everything else.
Or maybe it just bugs out, I don't know, but I've changed it three times already, so after a while I stopped bothering and just went with it.
Should be saved as what you've last set it to, yeah. Such an odd choice / bug...

LiK

still a one hit melee that goes up pretty quick.

lol the Truth doesn't miss... and i've gone almost point blank range with a rocket and not kill them.

I dunno, I use Ballerhorn and I can take them out no problem. In both 6v6 and 3v3 games.

Tovarisc

I think we all can benefit from these small thoughts of the day. Call me sensitive or something, but I think spam inviting people or joining without warning is rude :/

if-you-invite-szu1i0.jpg

if-you-didnt-khtt3x.jpg

What an awful fucking week for Nightfall/Weekly.

Level 30 Titan
Nightfall = 7 Energy
Weekly = Nothing but the coins

Level 29 Hunter
Nightfall = 10 Coins
Weekly = Coins + Doctor Nope

Jesus. So glad I leveled a 2nd character so I can be dissapointed TWICE. Really makes me unmotivated to get my Level 16 Warlock any higher despite having 2 legendaries and 1 exotic armour pieces waiting for him.

LordofPwn

I dunno, I use Ballerhorn and I can take them out no problem. In both 6v6 and 3v3 games.

hypehorn is different, the wolfpack rounds do enough DoT to bring a blade dancer down, but 1 rocket should kill anyone/thing except an armored person

I think we all can benefit from these small thoughts of the day. Call me sensitive or something, but I think spam inviting people or joining without warning is rude :/

The game allows you to join in session, just because you think its rude doesn't mean it isn't allowed. Maybe Bungie should provide better social features. Until then I don't really care about joining in on people.

I am Level 30 and 29 with my characters, so I can hold my own. The cliques here are ridiculous.

Bizazedo

Yes, it's worth the exotic slot, when facing a boss. I prefer to spend my exotic slot on something not-heavy in PvP but it functions just fine there too, though I agree an LMG of some kind is a typically better choice.
What's funny is, imho, a rocket launcher user should beat a LMG user. If the Rocket guy is paying attention, has the +heavy ammo so he can be willing to "waste" dumb firing rockets to splash people around corners, he should be able to kill the LMG guy first.

Once the rockets die down, though, the LMG user will absolutely shred the field.

I vastly prefer LMGs over rockets in PvP, but I've gotten into the habit of grabbing the LMG, but then kindly letting teammates go first to eat the rockets so I can then go on Relentless / Reign of Chaos tears once the main threat is used up as it were.

zewone

agility actually doesn't matter much in pvp as its normalized like most stats. max agility (on a hunter) vs least amount of agility possible (on a titan) lets you get places about .47 of a second faster in some cases

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgoDqz1ZnvA

in pve its more of a difference
Right. I'm aware of the placebo effect, but I can feel it myself and I much prefer the jumps for Hunter vs. floating at snails pace to be picked off mid air.

I hope that Sunsingers just continue to be underestimated in PvP, lol. My builds are just starting to come together and they will be glorious.
Show me a Sunsinger that can get 4-5 kills per super on a constant basis and maybe I'll change my tune. They're so bad they can't even clear the "Kill 15 Guardians with your Super" bounty.

thedan001

I think the horn is overrated

I picked up Gjallarhorn from Xur on week 2 of game

I have every raid weapon except praetorian foil, and missing the universal remote, the last word and hard light for exotics. I have the rest, even truth

For damage output/time
Gjallarhorn > everything else

realcZk

Friend finally lost it when he heard that they are starting on Destiny 2, is selling his game today.

lol, well destiny 2 can't be too far off with the amount of cut content and story from this game, it's probably already mostly finished

does anyone know how many dlc we are supposed to get for destiny 1?

LiK

hypehorn is different, the wolfpack rounds do enough DoT to bring a blade dancer down, but 1 rocket should kill anyone/thing except an armored person

Was working for me even before Wolfpack rounds popped when I took out a Bladedancer. No tracking either, I shot them in the face with a hip fire. Who knows.

Cømet

Banned
I'm feeling bad. I kicked some gaffer from my fireteam yesterday.
I had him in my friends list for quite sometime. But never really did anything with him.

Yesterday i was doing nightfall with a friend. Third slot was free. We were in the boss room hiding behind the crates near the entrance. Gaffer joined and stood by the door. I'd have warned him but i was in a psn party and he wasn't. Phanlaxes spawned and killed him instantly. They killed my friend and almost got me before despawning. I revived both. Gaffer took two steps and died again. Ok. Invisible, revived him again. Three more steps and he died AGAIN. This time in a place i couldn't revive him easily. Oh god. I kicked him and another friend joined.

We felt bad about it. We decided to help him through nightfall but apparently he excluded me from his friends list.

You had every right. I stand on the "don't come in unless you ask or are asked" side of things. Have had people randomly join while doing very specific tasks and they just get in the way and/or fuck it up.
The problem is, there's a core group of folks on my list (pretty much GAFers) and then a bunch of randoms I picked up from LFG over the weeks. Some of them are great and I've played with a lot, some of them literally added me at random and never did anything.

We had some randomer join our HM cheese attempt once, invite his mate, and proceed to fuck it up and talk loudly for two hours til I gave up and quit. After that I scrubbed two-three pages from my friends list. Being forced to add randomers you'll probably never see again to get raid groups together is plain stupid. Being on my friends list doesn't mean they're actually my friend, there's no way the guy who you don't know is as much your buddy as the guy you chat shit with regularly.

Someone I don't know joining without asking is an instant boot and removal from my friend's list. You did nothing wrong.

It's just good manners yo.

Shito

The game allows you to join in session, just because you think its rude doesn't mean it isn't allowed. Maybe Bungie should provide better social features. Until then I don't really care about joining in on people.

I am Level 30 and 29 with my characters, so I can hold my own. The cliques here are ridiculous.
I can also come to any group having a conversation in the street and start talking to them without any introduction or excuse on my part whatsoever.
It's not forbidden.
It's just rude. :)

Anyone interested in Hard Raid starting at Gatekeepers tonight around 7pm EST?

PS4
Cosmos_Man
Level 29 Hunter

1. Cosmos_Man

Please add me as a friend (currently at work), and Quote with your PSN ID added to the number list.

LiK

I agree especially for Raids. I never ever join any party in a Raid. I tend to msg them first. For both the game and party chat.

Vendor Epitath is a great arc sniper but PR is very similar in terms of perks bar the oracle stuff, I can't decide for you as I still have my vendor epitath despite having Patience and Time because it is sooo good, I also bought TDYK and it is also great. Damn why did I reply when my answer is basically I don't know? :D

Go Epitath at least if PR drops it's void so it wouldn't be negated like TDYK if Fatebringer drops

Bladelaw

I think that's the right call. TDYK is really useful all the time, whereas Epitaph will help in burns and convenience with Gjall.

I can also come to any group having a conversation in the street and start talking to them without any introduction or excuse on my part whatsoever.
It's not forbidden.
It's just rude. :)

What? Who said I join and don't use a mic? I absolutely ask whats up and how I can help.

Bizazedo

I've hit them with other rockets and not killed them. I know you later specified you were NOT using an upgraded Gjallahorn, but a lot of it probably has to do with questions like "Is anyone else ALSO firing on him?"

I'm very confident a rocket that is not Gjallahorn will not kill an undamaged Bladedancer, but will leave him very close to death. Anything else is just other people firing or maybe has a bad build (like going -armor, +speed and +recovery or something).

Fixed1979

Imo if you don't want people on your friends list to join, you should either have your party set to invite only or disabled. If you have an open party why shouldn't friends join you?

That being said, I normally jump in to friends games and always welcome anyone joining me. If they join because someone got disconnected you can just ask them to leave nicely. Obviously, if they disrupt your activity and don't play as a team, feel free to kick them and remove from friends list.

This is the way I look at it as well. I never have issues when people join me and turn it off when I want to be solo. I do ask on occasion and other times I just join. The only time I absolutely won't join without being asked or invited is VoG. If someone wants to drop me off their friends list for joining their open fireteam then I won't feel bad about it.

I know it's a pain in the ass to keep having to change your fireteam setup but at least the options there...

What? Who said I join and don't use a mic? I absolutely ask whats up and how I can help.

That's usually the first thing out of my mouth, "Do you guys mind if I jump in with you?"

rafaelr

i used to ignore handcannons (from alpha to retail), i completely changed my mind when TDYK dropped from an engram for me. soooo much fun to one shot most of the enemies!

I don't mind people joining my fireteam, I just change it to invite-only if I don't want anyone to join.
I always join others without asking first, usually I look for someone who is doing the daily or other activity/bounty I have to do as well and join them.
Am I doing it wrong?

Wait, so if someone joins randomly, I'm the one who has to ask them to leave nicely? If you join my group without asking, I'll boot you without asking if that's what needs to be done.

I know common courtesy has gone by the wayside with the younger generation. But, you know, typically you ask someone if you can sit at their table before just plopping your ass down and digging into everyone else's food.

Maybe video game manners are different from the real world.

R0ckman

Anyone interested in Hard Raid starting at Gatekeepers tonight around 7pm EST?

PS4
Cosmos_Man
Level 29 Hunter

1. Cosmos_Man

Please add me as a friend (currently at work), and Quote with your PSN ID added to the number list.

I'm friends with cosmos man so I can jump in, but I'll add you on my phone.

Edit: Oh, you are Cosmos_Man, I'm use to the GAF username and PSN being the same for people. NVM then, I'll join anyway. That makes two.

I don't mind people joining my fireteam, I just change it to invite-only if I don't want anyone to join.
I always join others without asking first, usually I look for someone who is doing the daily or other activity/bounty I have to do as well and join them.
Am I doing it wrong?

Nope, people need to be more accepting and less exclusive. Seems to be very exclusive with a lot of people here and many I play with agree.

blackflag

Someone I don't know joining without asking is an instant boot and removal from my friend's list. You did nothing wrong.

In that case you should set it to invite only.....leaving it open is saying hey I'm ok with random friends joining....how are they supposed to know.

Shito

Nope, people need to be more accepting and less exclusive. Seems to be very exclusive with a lot of people here and many I play with agree.
My problem is that the damn option does not work correctly.
I don't want people to join me without asking, but I don't want to (or I shouldn't have to) change my setting each time I login.
Considering the "do I allow friends to join" flag is not working the way it should, I think joining without asking to be rude. If Bungie fixes that and it starts saving your choice, then yeah, I'll gladly join your side of the argument. :)

LiK

I've hit them with other rockets and not killed them. I know you later specified you were using an upgraded Gjallahorn, but a lot of it probably has to do with questions like "Is anyone else ALSO firing on him?"

I'm very confident a rocket that is not Gjallahorn will not kill an undamaged Bladedancer, but will leave him very close to death. Anything else is just other people firing or maybe has a bad build (like going -armor, +speed and +recovery or something).

Pretty sure they were not damaged cuz in 3v3, we would get into a lot of 1v1 matches occasionally. I do remember taking out a Bladedancer coming for me with a point blank shot with a Ballerhorn while my teammates were in another part of the map.

I'll try to save a clip in the future if I ever do it again and you guys can analyze it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just don't understand why people don't change their fireteam to 'invite only' if they don't want people joining. Don't get upset if your fireteam is open (unless the person joining is an idiot).
Unfortunately I guess I am going to have to start doing this. I don't get upset, and if I do have my headset on and we can talk about whatever they're joining to do, it's not that big a deal. It's convenient to just have it to Friends Only so that people who I'm talking to (and especially people in a PSN party for Join Session) can just Join in without needing the invite, but it makes for a lot of awkward situations. I hate the feeling when someone joins and I'm on Vita/playing with my headset disconnected and in the other room. Sometimes I'm even watching something on my second screen and have the volume turned down. I just can't communicate to tell them what's up and have no idea what content they're joining for, and I feel like I'm being a jerk just continuing with whatever I was doing. So switching it to Invite Only is probably the right thing to do. The main problem here is that it doesn't save your choice. Boot up destiny and it's "Friends Only." :-/

The crazy thing is that if I'm not in the middle of something at the time I'm just about always up for whatever anyone wants to do. Just send me a message. I'll go get set up in the other room and reconnect my headset to do a Strike or Daily or whatever help is needed with. I just don't know what someone is looking for if they just join the fireteam without saying anything, or send a blind invite. :-[
What's funny is, imho, a rocket launcher user should beat a LMG user. If the Rocket guy is paying attention, has the +heavy ammo so he can be willing to "waste" dumb firing rockets to splash people around corners, he should be able to kill the LMG guy first.

Once the rockets die down, though, the LMG user will absolutely shred the field.

I vastly prefer LMGs over rockets in PvP, but I've gotten into the habit of grabbing the LMG, but then kindly letting teammates go first to eat the rockets so I can then go on Relentless / Reign of Chaos tears once the main threat is used up as it were.
I totally agree that Rockets counter LMGs, and that's a viable no-need-to-be-faster-than-the-bear strategy.

Bizazedo

I'll try to save a clip in the future if I ever do it again and you guys can analyze it.

That'd be awesome, I love Monday morning quarterbacking things. The only other variable....okay, two....would be lag and if he was a -armor, +speed, +recovery person. I've noticed differences when I change that aspect up on my Titan, I can only imagine a Hunter.

Trakan

In that case you should set it to invite only.....leaving it open is saying hey I'm ok with random friends joining....how are they supposed to know.

In the couple of instances of it happening, people join right when we're at the boss in Nightfall and they get a free ride. Not to mention one time it glitched out when someone joined right when we killed Sepiks Prime and respawned him with full health. My friend and I both lost the "complete a strike without dying" bounties and had to beat the boss a second time. Luckily we were sungsingers or we would have been kicked to Orbit. When it's on Friends only, it also lets friends of friends join. It'd be different if it was just the fireteam leader's friends.

Just be polite and ask if you can join.

I set my fireteam to invite only the second I get on. I set it to friends only when I'm doing something where I don't mind having someone join and I'm prepared to talk on mic.

I do that because there are times when people have joined me when I'm doing something random and I'm talking to my wife at the same time, or I just don't feel like using my mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom