• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
Nope, people need to be more accepting and less exclusive. Seems to be very exclusive with a lot of people here and many I play with agree.

I don't think they do. It's good manners to ask someone who you don't
know very well before you join their game.

I always ask before I join unless I know the person or have played with them a lot.

Not everyone has the same preferences.

Cømet;137468182 said:
Asking is usually a good place to start. It's not like it's hard.

It actually is once you factor in the time it takes to write and send a message on PSN these days and voice chat not working properly most of the time.
It seems way easier to set the fireteam to invite only everytime you play.

arimanius

still a one hit melee that goes up pretty quick.

It has a setup time and a limited duration. It's pretty tricky to get off. When I'm playing my alts I always feel bad when a Titan rushes me and swings instead of shoulder charge. I mean I still kill them but there's a twinge of been there done that.

Bladedancers can't? :p

Not in my experience with my hunter unless it's a super. If I die quickly then it's usually multiple people shooting me. But I know you have a much much much greater experience with your hunter.

Fixed1979

My problem is that the damn option does not work correctly.
I don't want people to join me without asking, but I don't want to (or I shouldn't have to) change my setting each time I login.
Considering the "do I allow friends to join" flag is not working the way it should, I think joining without asking to be rude. If Bungie fixes that and it starts saving your choice, then yeah, I'll gladly join your side of the argument. :)

So when you log into the game to start a session, you don't open your inventory screen or in game friends list? It's not like the option is hidden away or convoluted, it take no time to make a change.

Cømet;137468182 said:

Neither is changing your fireteam setting. In fact it's quicker and forces people to ask, which is what you want.

blackflag

In the couple of instances of it happening, people join right when we're at the boss in Nightfall and they get a free ride. Not to mention one time it glitched out when someone joined right when we killed Sepiks Prime and respawned him with full health. My friend and I both lost the "complete a strike without dying" bounties and had to beat the boss a second time. When it's on Friends only, it also lets friends of friends join. It'd be different if it was just the fireteam leader's friends.

Just be polite and ask if you can join.

Just put it on invite only lol how hard is it. Psn messages don't even work right half the time anymore.

That said, I always ask but pretty much no one asks me but it doesn't bother me. Because like I'd set it to invite only if it did....

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Cømet;137468182 said:

I used to say this - I've complained about people randomly joining my fireteam before. And I still feel that way about raids - don't join my raid randomly please. At least ask first. However, if I am doing a story mission, or a nightfall, or a weekly heroic, and you want to join w/o asking, and I have it set to "friends" instead of "invite only", then go for it. Hop on in.

Dante316

I usually msg 1st but if msg going slow I just join, 98% its np but other times they waiting on a friend. Which is all good. The issue is simple, the options are right there, if you don't want anybody else joining you set it to invite only, thats what I do when im not in chat mood.

LiK

I used to say this - I've complained about people randomly joining my fireteam before. And I still feel that way about raids - don't join my raid randomly please. At least ask first. However, if I am doing a story mission, or a nightfall, or a weekly heroic, and you want to join w/o asking, and I have it set to "friends" instead of "invite only", then go for it. Hop on in.

Yep, if it's open I will join them in other modes.

I wish more people will open it up during Crucible tho. Everyone disables joining. I want to play with friends and not randoms.

Haven't seen it.
lol

Lies

blackflag

That makes more sense, joining someone that's obviously getting together a raid group without asking is just dumb.

Shito

So when you log into the game to start a session, you don't open your inventory screen or in game friends list? It's not like the option is hidden away or convoluted, it take no time to make a change.
As a matter of fact: no, I don't.
I head to the tower, pick up my bounties, wait for my girlfriend to join my game and head up to whatever daily mission it is today.
Also, that's why I've said that I shouldn't have to change it back each time I log in. This is kinda retarded that it doesn't save your last choice. All it does is make people unsure, because you never know if the player you are trying to join in is ok with it, or if he just forgot to switch back to "invite only". As long as it works this way, I'll be in the "no joining without asking" camp. :)

Bizazedo

It actually is once you factor in the time it takes to write and send a message on PSN these days and voice chat not working properly most of the time.
It seems way easier to set the fireteam to invite only everytime you play.

PSN has the one nice perk of remembering what you've sent previously and suggesting it as a follow up word, though. If you ask the same way every time, it literally only takes seconds to send a message. It's very easy.

Kind of like my raid reminders I send out for my static group, I can do a full sentence with compound words and everything in less than a minute now since I've done it once.

I had hoped this argument / digression wouldn't pop up again since it's not cut and dry. Orbit / PvP / Patrol / I'm on a Story mission? I could care less if people jump in.

Nightfall / Heroic Weekly / VoG? That's when it bugs me a bit, but only because they're a bit more planned for me and I might have friends open for other people to join.

Dante316

I wish more people will open it up during Crucible tho. Everyone disables joining. I want to play with friends and not randoms.

Lies

Lol, I sometimes join friends but im facing them, I play crucible alot, we should play sometime.

DNAbro

Angel of Light > all other perks. The difference it makes in PvP is astounding. Don't really want to go back to Voidwalker cause of how good that perk feels.

Kensuke

I have a checkpoint at the oracles for hard raid. We're cheesing the oracles and templar. We're not doing Gatekeepers and Atheon though. We're starting as soon as we have enough people (on PSN).

1. Wretched_Walrus
2. LostSerenity

Dante316

I have a checkpoint at the oracles for hard raid. We're cheesing the oracles and templar. We're not doing Gatekeepers and Atheon though. We're starting as soon as we have enough people (on PSN).

1. Wretched_Walrus
2. LostSerenity

ill do it, psn dante316

Nope, people need to be more accepting and less exclusive. Seems to be very exclusive with a lot of people here and many I play with agree.

It has nothing to do with being accepting or being exclusive. You've completely missed the point of common courtesy. It's really not that difficult.

Jesus, the fucking MTV Generation... how sad. Me, me, me.

Wait, so if someone joins randomly, I'm the one who has to ask them to leave nicely? If you join my group without asking, I'll boot you without asking if that's what needs to be done.

I know common courtesy has gone by the wayside with the younger generation. But, you know, typically you ask someone if you can sit at their table before just plopping your ass down and digging into everyone else's food.

Maybe video game manners are different from the real world.

Yes they are. You're playing a social game. BE SOCIAL. :p

kidko

I'm also siding with 'ask first'

Especially if I'm soloing something that I expressly want to solo, having someone jump in randomly feels like someone inviting themselves along to hang out. Now you have to cater to them as well. Some of us are loners and also forgetful and don't want to change that setting every time.

Angel of Light > all other perks. The difference it makes in PvP is astounding. Don't really want to go back to Voidwalker cause of how good that perk feels.

You must have some unheard of way to use it since all I've seen it do is make you a still target in the air for everyone to notice and shoot.

Fixed1979

As a matter of fact: no, I don't.
I head to the tower, pick up my bounties, wait for my girlfriend to join my game and head up to whatever daily mission it is today.
Also, that's why I've said that I shouldn't have to change it back each time I log in. This is kinda retarded that it doesn't save your last choice. All it does is make people unsure, because you never know if the player you are trying to join in is ok with it, or if he just forgot to switch back to "invite only". As long as it works this way, I'll be in the "no joining without asking" camp. :)

Fair enough, and you're right it should save your selection.

As I said above I usually ask on my mic as soon as I join, there are times when I can't even send a message on PSN so it's just easier for me that way.

It has nothing to do with being accepting or being exclusive. You've completely missed the point of common courtesy. It's really not that difficult.

Jesus, the fucking MTV Generation... how sad. Me, me, me.

lol get over it. You know what's a courtesy, set your FT to solo so other players don't join your group and get kicked or ruin your experience...It's really not that difficult.

Bizazedo

The annoying thing is it's hard to time joining someone for Crucible since if the game is full, you can't join their fireteam. I'd love if it just put you in the fireteam (maybe in Orbit) and let you join once the match ended.

And LiK, especially if you're US timezones, would love to add just to have more Crucible buddies.

phen0m24

So this thread is devolving
again
into "Don't join my fireteam." Sigh.

A) If you join someone's fireteam, ask if they could use a hand as you're looking to help and/or make friends. If they're rude, take the hint.

B) If someone joins your fireteam and you weren't expecting them, nicely let them know that you're waiting for someone or soloing.

All this talk of "dumping people" in a cool community like this just makes people sound like exclusionary elitists. No offense intended - just as a junior member I read these and think "Gosh I hope I never tick that person off.."

Sullichin

We had a similar situation last night. Three of us were doing the NF and one dropped because of internet connection issues. Literally 1-2 mins later, people started joining in randomly from my friends list. I hated to be an asshole, but I had to kick them so our third could come back and finish.

I eventually turned it to invite only but, damn, do folks literally just sit on their friends list looking to join in on an event without asking?

To contrast this situation, I was doing NF with a friend last night and we had the boss to 1/3 of his life. Someone we met the other day and did the raid with joined, and it was all good. I'm sure if we said someone else was joining he would have understood.

PSN has the one nice perk of remembering what you've sent previously and suggesting it as a follow up word, though. If you ask the same way every time, it literally only takes seconds to send a message. It's very easy.

Kind of like my raid reminders I send out for my static group, I can do a full sentence with compound words and everything in less than a minute now since I've done it once.

I had hoped this argument / digression wouldn't pop up again since it's not cut and dry. Orbit / PvP / Patrol / I'm on a Story mission? I could care less if people jump in.

Nightfall / Heroic Weekly / VoG? That's when it bugs me a bit, but only because they're a bit more planned for me and I might have friends open for other people to join.

It's ok, I get people prefer different things.

And I absolutely agree with not joining Raid fireteams that you don't have an invite to. Everything else I'm game, and I don't complain or get personal if I'm kicked of a game that I join, I just assume that there was a good reason for it.

LiK

The annoying thing is it's hard to time joining someone for Crucible since if the game is full, you can't join their fireteam. I'd love if it just put you in the fireteam (maybe in Orbit) and let you join once the match ended.

And LiK, especially if you're US timezones, would love to add just to have more Crucible buddies.

Whats your psn so I can add u?

Sure, PMed both

1. Wretched_Walrus
2. LostSerenity

I'll go, The_Reckoning 29 Sunsinger

Milennia

Some dude randomly joined our fire team during a flawless attempt when we had a dc and wanted to try finishing
Joining counts as a death

Yeah don't do that

We have that shit set to invite only now permanently

realcZk

So this thread is devolving
again
into "Don't join my fireteam." Sigh.

A) If you join someone's fireteam, ask if they could use a hand as you're looking to help and/or make friends. If they're rude, take the hint.

B) If someone joins your fireteam and you weren't expecting them, nicely let them know that you're waiting for someone or soloing.

All this talk of "dumping people" in a cool community like this just makes people sound like exclusionary elitists. No offense intended - just as a junior member I read these and think "Gosh I hope I never tick that person off.."

hey, did anyone say you could post in here?

kidding! i just set my fireteams to inv only most of the time, to save me the effort of having to kick people since i feel bad doing it.

DNAbro

You must have some unheard of way to use it since all I've seen it do is make you a still target in the air for everyone to notice and shoot.

Much more useful for really close range encounters. Often times I notice someone about to come around a corner on the radar, I jump up, start aiming and pop off multiple headshots with my auto rifle before they even notice where they are being shot from. Using it from across the map is a big no no.

Tovarisc

The game allows you to join in session, just because you think its rude doesn't mean it isn't allowed. Maybe Bungie should provide better social features. Until then I don't really care about joining in on people.

I am Level 30 and 29 with my characters, so I can hold my own. The cliques here are ridiculous.

I never said it isn't allowed, I just said it's rude for person to assume that they are welcome without prior warning or asking. If you don't care about crashing into parties then you need to be ok with being instantly booted from said party.

It has nothing to do with your character levels. Also I'm not whole GAF, I'm just speaking from my perspective with those memes.

Sometimes I don't give a fuck about party crashers,but some days I do give a fuck and get annoyed by them. Does it make me "exclusive"? I don't know, but if people mind you "crashing into" their parties without warning and it's just how you roll maybe you need play with like minded people?

I just think that it's polite to ask before jumping into someones party, but I'm weird like that ^^

ZOONAMI

I never said it isn't allowed, I just said it's rude for person to assume that they are welcome without prior warning or asking. If you don't care about crashing into parties then you need to be ok with being instantly booted from said party.

It has nothing to do with your character levels. Also I'm not whole GAF, I'm just speaking from my perspective with those memes.

Sometimes I don't give a fuck about party crashers,but some days I do give a fuck and get annoyed by them. Does it make me "exclusive"? I don't know, but if people mind you "crashing into" their parties without warning and it's just how you roll maybe you need play with like minded people?

I just think that it's polite to ask before jumping into someones party, but I'm weird like that ^^

Then set your shit to invite only when you're in a bad mood about people joining you.

Fitts

Re: asking before joining a fireteam, I feel that it would just be expected etiquette. I've never popped into someone else's fireteam unannounced nor would I ever.

With that said, I always keep my fireteam open even when I'm trying to "Destiny Souls" solo some content. I have people on my friends list (Gaffers and otherwise) pop in unannounced all the time. If they're not very skilled or underleveled for the activity, I don't mind carrying them through. I totally get why it's viewed as an annoyance and it absolutely should be, but I just enjoy playing the game so I'm pretty chill about it. :)

If anyone happens to be lurking this thread and has a habit of popping in unannounced feel free to add me. You may be asked to leave if I'm waiting on someone, but otherwise I'm typically down for whatever.

PS4 PSN: EinFurDieDamen

Bizazedo

Midas Multi-Tool. I got it from the Nightfall and have no idea what my emotions should be. Is it good? Is it worthwhile?

I'm just starting to dip my toes into scout rifles because in game modes like salvage, I've seen them used to devastating effect in ripping apart AR users at range on maps like Shores of Time and Rusted, so it came at a good time since I was just starting to level up one....

....but is this one any good? I am really a dirty whore for Thunderlord and although I have Jolder's Hammer / other good ones....I love my T-Lord.

Shito

Then set your shit to invite only when you're in a bad mood about people joining you.
Problem is: it should be the other way around.
Either they have to save your last choice, or default to invite only, and let people switch to friends when they are in the mood for it. That way, you are sure that the people you are joining without asking are ok with it.
As is, you are assuming they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom