• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC |OT| Electronic old men running the world. A new age.

Okay, so the Typhoon makes every boss fight in this game 100% trivial.

Beat the first boss by hiding in the vents and shooting at him a lot.

Beat the second boss by using two EMP mines and typhoon hits directly afterwards (after Eliza drained her the first time or whatever).

Beat the third boss using the Typhoon twice.

Beat the fourth boss by using the Typhoon five times.

Laser rifle makes the last fight even more trivial.

You can shoot her through the glass and end the fight in about 5 seconds or so.

No, I don't believe they mention it at all.

You can also avoid killing them if you get the access code from Darrow during the social fight at the start of the level, by the way.

Wait, WHAT?
I did get the access code from Darrow
- I just didn't see where to use it! :(

denx

Wait, WHAT?
I did get the access code from Darrow
- I just didn't see where to use it! :(

There is a panel in the central Hyron structure where you can input the code. It can be difficult to notice in the middle of the frenzy of the fight.

There is a panel in the central Hyron structure where you can input the code. It can be difficult to notice in the middle of the frenzy of the fight.

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing during the whole fight. Somehow I won on the first try...

By the way, during the Missing Link episode, there's a certain selection you have to make -
to kill the whistle blower or the prisoners. The game was hinting that there may have been a third option, but I never figured it out. Also there seemed to be some kind of timer, so I figured out I don't have time to find out the third option, so I chose killing the prisoners thinking I'd reload and see the other option.
But then I thought what the hell, and never bothered to reload anyway, even though I chose the obviously worst option available.

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing during the whole fight. Somehow I won on the first try...

By the way, during the Missing Link episode, there's a certain selection you have to make -
to kill the whistle blower or the prisoners. The game was hinting that there may have been a third option, but I never figured it out. Also there seemed to be some kind of timer, so I figured out I don't have time to find out the third option, so I chose killing the prisoners thinking I'd reload and see the other option.
But then I thought what the hell, and never bothered to reload anyway, even though I chose the obviously worst option available.

On the first level of the detention floor there's a vent that you have to go through. It leads to a room with a pipe which you can jump on to access another room. In this room is the gas bomb, which you can shoot to disable.

denx

There is indeed a third option. Don't read the following if you want to figure out this yourself.

In the big circular, multi-leveled detention center room, on the first floor there is a vent hidden behind a big crate. Enter the vent and make your way up through the room until you enter another vent. This vent will lead you to a room which contains the gas dispersal system. You can destroy the gas by shooting at it or throwing an object at it, like a fire extinguisher. This will save both the scientist and the prisoners.

edit: beaten

Thank you both. I'll have to remember that if I ever get around to playing the game again. I guess it would be interesting to try playing the game all guns blazing after going for the stealth and hacking the first time around...

Zuly

Dumb question regarding The Missing Link. Can you continue on by simply finding the armor or do you have to equip it?

Dumb question regarding The Missing Link. Can you continue on by simply finding the armor or do you have to equip it?

I made it to The Missing Link this morning and I'm pretty sure I had to pick up the armor for the objective to clear. Might be wrong though because I went through that area fast.

keakster

Wii U short printed? All of the ebGames (Canadian GameStop) around me are sold out of new copies. BestBuy and FutureShop are also sold out online. There are still some on Amazon.ca but not many ...

I was going to wait for the inevitable price drop but that might be a risky proposition at this point

Chabbles

I envy any of you who are just playing this game for the first time now.

I remember infiltrating the police station. Going in through the roof, slowly and carefully clearing out each room, floor by floor, killing or incapacitating everyone, looting every room, hacking every computer, searching every nook and cranny for upgrades. Making my way down floor by floor with such stealth that sam fisher would be impressed.
Finally i made it to the bottom floor and completed my objective. More fun in that 2 or 3 hours then iv had in every cod combined. (Look for a robocop reference in the police station)

Zuly

I remember infiltrating the police station. Going in through the roof, slowly and carefully clearing out each room, floor by floor, killing or incapacitating everyone, looting every room, hacking every computer, searching every nook and cranny for upgrades. Making my way down floor by floor with such stealth that sam fisher would be impressed.
Finally i made it to the bottom floor and completed my objective. More fun in that 2 or 3 hours then iv had in every cod combined. (Look for a robocop reference in the police station)

Same. I put in closely to a 100 hours on vanilla. The magic is somewhat lost playing this the second time around because I already know exactly what to do with little work.

Kazerei

Banned
Wii U short printed? All of the ebGames (Canadian GameStop) around me are sold out of new copies. BestBuy and FutureShop are also sold out online. There are still some on Amazon.ca but not many ...

I was going to wait for the inevitable price drop but that might be a risky proposition at this point

I've never even seen a Wii U copy of the game at EB. I've only ever seen a few copies at FS and BB. Good luck!

Milennia

Hopping into this game for the first time now (vanilla).
Will i understand the story if i haven't played any previous installments?

denx

I remember talking with Haas in the entrance of the police station, winning that "social battle" the kind way, by getting him to forgive himself... then I shot him in the face with a shotgun and proceeded to kill everyone in the police station.

That's how my evil-badass Jensen rolled.

I originally played DX: HR on the 360, and recently got a hankering to play through it again having just built a PC. I've read a lot of complaints about the Director's Cut technical issues in this thread; are the revised boss fights and other tweaks worth it to go with that version regardless or am I better served sticking with the original release? I've already read a lot of the info coming out of the commentary, so that'd be a nonfactor in the choice.

Randam

can you hack all PCs in the police department in detroid?

and looking forward to the first boss fight.
only have the Tranquilizer rifle.

can you beat bosses with "cqc"?

Mumford

I finally dived into this game yesterday after getting it on sale from PSN for $13 a month ago. Jesus, this game is pure bliss. The design is simply refreshing.
I've been playing a mix between lethal & nonlethal, leaning towards nonlethal despite previously not being a huge stealth game fan. I can't wait to play more.

Ashtar

Bought this for 360 maybe a month ago, still not back to where I was on PS3 (first boss fight) having fun running through it but it's hard to find time. One thing I hate about this game is just how floaty it feels when you pick stuff up, e.g. boxes all seem to be empty but it's a minor gripe

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to admit that I am surprised that they didn't release this on the Xbone and PS4 given how close it was to those systems release date.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they would have sold more copies on the current gen consoles instead of last gen.

Sepp

Banned
Anyone managed to play through the game WITHOUT stealth?

I'm a few hours into the game and the lethal weapons are extremely underpowered. Even with the shotgun at close range I need several shots to kill those super soldiers.

On the other hand tranquilizers and takedowns are are super effective. It seems the game is heavily biased towards stealth...

Anyone managed to play through the game WITHOUT stealth?

I'm a few hours into the game and the lethal weapons are extremely underpowered. Even with the shotgun at close range I need several shots to kill those super soldiers.

On the other hand tranquilizers and takedowns are are super effective. It seems the game is heavily biased towards stealth...

I've played it non stealth multiple times. There are actually tons of really powerful lethal weapons. The combat rifle is pretty good, and the regular old pistol is very over powered if you upgrade it. Sniper rifle is great, crossbow is fun, and the laser rifle and heavy rifle are great for later in the game.

There's also the grenade launcher and the plasma rifle, but you don't get those until pretty far into the game.

I'm in the second zone now. I have to play in small chunks but I'm still really enjoying the fuck out of this game. I hope they do another for next gen. The atmosphere is really refreshing.

I'm in the second zone now. I have to play in small chunks but I'm still really enjoying the fuck out of this game. I hope they do another for next gen. The atmosphere is really refreshing.

They've announced that they are indeed working on a next gen Deus Ex game. No info beyond that so far, but it's good to hear that it's being done.

Is it possible to do a "ghost run" of this game?
Playing it for the first time; finished the intro without getting spotted, but I was just wondering if this is possible for the rest of it, or if I should just try to be stealthy and just roll with whatever happens and adjust on the fly?

Also, the aiming feels odd on the Wii U version with the default sensitivity, and other sensitivities feel weird too.

Is it possible to do a "ghost run" of this game?
Playing it for the first time; finished the intro without getting spotted, but I was just wondering if this is possible for the rest of it, or if I should just try to be stealthy and just roll with whatever happens and adjust on the fly?

Also, the aiming feels odd on the Wii U version with the default sensitivity, and other sensitivities feel weird too.

There are boos fight, and I think you have to kill in those. But the game rewards you plenty if you choose non-lethal methods and stealth. But on the other hand it's nice to let go of some steam every now and then, and just go crazy with an assault rifle if the enemy starts pissing you off too much.

I think the aiming is a bit weird on purpose, so that you'd me more likely to use stealth and physical takedowns.

There are boos fight, and I think you have to kill in those. But the game rewards you plenty if you choose non-lethal methods and stealth. But on the other hand it's nice to let go of some steam every now and then, and just go crazy with an assault rifle if the enemy starts pissing you off too much.

I think the aiming is a bit weird on purpose, so that you'd me more likely to use stealth and physical takedowns.

Right, thanks.

It was enjoyable trying to not be spotted during the intro, but I probably spent like half an hour just reloading the game until I got through each section, when it should have probably taken 10 minutes at most.

munroe

For those that haven't already seen it, there is a fan made, live-action Deus Ex: HR short film being released on 25th March, a teaser was released today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STtw4INonsY

Considering it's fan made, it looks good, noticed some inconsistencies with how the characters are portrayed, so probably don't expect it to fully follow the storylines. But otherwise, a live-action Deus Ex would be awesome.

impact

Banned
I just got it and started it up with maxed everything on the video settings and it looks really underwhelming. Lots of jaggies and moving lines on objects (I don't really know any better way to describe this), am I missing something in regards to settings? My game looks nothing like the screens Dennis posted above. Also getting weird black dots in and out on peoples faces.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I just got it and started it up with maxed everything on the video settings and it looks really underwhelming. Lots of jaggies and moving lines on objects (I don't really know any better way to describe this), am I missing something in regards to settings? My game looks nothing like the screens Dennis posted above. Also getting weird black dots in and out on peoples faces.

That's because that's a modded version.

Anyway completed the game for the first time in directors cut edition a few days ago. Outstanding game first game in years, that was so unabashed in withholding content and secrets the majority of the player base wouldn't find or is even possible to discover in a single play through, really made exploring and spending time with the game all that more rewarding.

Still trying to find out what the hell went on with Jensen's real parents and overall past which I completely missed in my first play through.

Try turning off object highlighting and see if the black dots go away. I think that's one of the original bugs in the game that still not fixed in the Director's cut.

Perhaps it should be in a separate thread, but which is the correct PC version to get?
Vanillia or DC?

Because I know DC has better options for boss fights, but I also know it's reported to be more buggy and SweetFX/ENB [one of them at least] doesn't work with DC.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
DC. It has Developer commentary, improved boss fights, integration of The Missing Link, and removal of the "piss filter." Plus it's the only version still on the Steam store.

Forgot to mention, the other DLC (Explosive Mission Pack, Tactical Enhancement Pack) have also been integrated into the DC.

Perhaps it should be in a separate thread, but which is the correct PC version to get?
Vanillia or DC?

Because I know DC has better options for boss fights, but I also know it's reported to be more buggy and SweetFX/ENB [one of them at least] doesn't work with DC.

Director's Cut is a bit buggier. Not sure if they've patched it or not. Apparently the issue was that they made the Director's Cut with an old build of the game. So there are some problems with stuttering (which can be fixed for most users with a registry change). Beyond that, I didn't see too many bugs. I never used SweetFX or ENB on either version, so I can't comment on that.

Also, they toned the yellow filter in the Director's Cut down a LOT. Some people love the change, some people prefer the original look. But that's just personal preference. I personally think Hengsha looks better with the new version while Detroit looked better with the old.

Beyond those two things, the Director's Cut is definitely the version to get. You get The Missing Link built in, for one. Since the Missing Link was an amazing piece of DLC, and arguably the best level in the game, that's a big plus for me. And the audio commentary is AWESOME for a second playthrough. There is a ton of it, and it's all very interesting. They are very frank and open, revealing a lot of stuff we never knew about the game. They even honestly point out the faults of the game, why some of the problems happened, etc. And the boss battles are indeed more fun, although I didn't have a huge problem with them originally either.

EDIT:
DC. It has Developer commentary, improved boss fights, integration of The Missing Link, and removal of the "piss filter." Plus it's the only version still on the Steam store.

Yeah, and that too, I forgot. If you're buying it directly off Steam, that's your only choice.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So I got this game a couple years ago, put it in my backlog, then heard about the DC, so waited for that to come out, heard about how buggy it was so I continued to wait... paid the five bucks to get the DC, just started playing it the other day.

Wow, this is a really good game. I normally hate stealth, but the AI is more about hearing you, seeing doors opening, catching movement in their line-of-site than just spotting you from across the map. Plus you have more options. Walls to bust through, crates to pile up, vents vents vents.

I can see why Derrick who hates everything had this as his avatar RIP in peace.

I like when you learn passwords and codes it sticks it on the screen for you when you use the appropriate terminal.

It's just been really impressively fun so far. A very unconventional FPS. It's not nearly as consolised as I was worried it would be.

I just got a reload speed upgrade for a weapon.

Can anyone give me some advice on weapons? I've picked up a bunch, should I be selling these things? If I add a upgrade to a weapon, and get rid of it. If I pick it up again later will I have that same upgrade on it?

Also, any general game advice would be appreciated.

Top Bottom