• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
HotHamWater said:
Posted yet? Massive image alert.

http://i.imgur.com/NbP0v.jpg
4vlirq.jpg

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Hari Seldon said:
Mouse control feels like a shit port. Very disappointed in that, but the game is great otherwise. Hopefully they patch it, I'm going back to another game until a patch comes out.
Put the Y-sensitivity two notches above the X and you're good.

anddo0

Steam says 11 hours played. :p I probably played 8.

Highlight of the day.
I walk into a detective office and overhear two cops referencing the Robocop movie. When they finally notice me, one of the goes "Hey we were just talking about you" lol
. I think you can throw that 20-30 hours completion time out the window for me. It'll take me at least 60.

somedevil

FlyinJ said:
Ok, what the hell am I supposed to do here (7 hours in):

A BOSS? Are you kidding me? I'm a stealth character with some gas grenades, a stun rod and a silenced tranq rifle. This guy is a 1 second instakill on me. How am I supposed to beat him? I loaded him full of about 10 tranq darts, and ran around the room hiding behind pillars, but he never went down. What is this all about

Do you mean
Barrett because i'm a stealth character as well. To beat him I tossed an emp grenade at him to disable his weapons then ran and picked up the explosive barrels and the gas one at him and killed him quickly. So you should toss a gas grenade at him then run and find those items and throw it at him. There are emp grenades in the area as well because that is his weakness as well as teh stun gun.

God, this game makes it so hard to choose what to upgrade next. Everything is so useful. I want it all!
The augmented jump isn't something I thought would be useful at all (got it as a stepping stone to other augs I want), but it really is. There are lots of out-of-reach areas and fences to jump over/onto, where you get both bonus XP and loot/weapons. Pretty sweet.

anddo0

Gravitom said:
Seriously, it is taking me 20-30 seconds to load save and I have a dedicated SSD for games.

Call me crazy. But my load times started out around 18-20. Now their around 25-35. Hopefully they patch this. I fear dying, and it kinda stops the constant reloading that so many of us do.

Gvaz

Banned
I tried for the free DXHR facebook code but they were gone in less than a second. I only have enough money to feed myself, but no money to buy the game :(

I planned to pre-order this too...but I never got around to it because of my money situation. School is coming up soon, so maybe I can get the game in 2 months when I get my disbursement but...

I suppose I'll have to live vicariously through you guys for the time being.

LoL...this game is too funny..

so I am on the 2nd floor of this police building and i throw a carboard box down at a police officer..and the whole station unloads on me. Talk about justice!

anyways, loving the openness of this game so far. in alot of ways it feels like dues ex which is great, but then they obviously streamlined some stuff which im not upset about.

My only beef with this game is the fucking load times after you die. WTF!?!?!

also, when you die, the sound he makes is so bad its funny as shit. how could they mess that sound bit up.

anyways, those are just my 2 little nitpicks but this game is A+ coming from a dues ex fan.

<side bar> today before I picked the game up, I was thinking about how in the first Deus ex, when the enemies would reload their weapons, they would stop moving around, look down at thier gun and stand thier looking at thier gun while reloading thier weapons...then start moving around again when shooting. Funniest AI ever.

Watching my brother play through this is great for comparing.

To handle the
police station
objectives, I walked in through the front door, talked to the front desk,
and without even having a CASIE yet, managed to talk to Haas and convince him on my first try to get the achievement
, looted the place clean of anything I could without conflict, and when necessary I used stealth, silenced nonlethals, and nonlethal takedowns to get into sensitive areas, then walked out like nothing was wrong.

He wandered around in alleys and sewers, not knowing there was a front door, came up to a ladder that he climbed up by stacking boxes, snuck in through a vent on the roof, quickly got caught and had to fight his way through the entire building, couldn't hack a single thing, tripped every alarm, and finally emerged to a city full of hostile cops that he had to fight off with just a pistol
and some help from a few gun-toting AIs who attacked the cops.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Out of all the things I love about this game, I think the Takedown button is my favorite. I just can't get enough of it.

what a joy

Blizzard

Banned
I guess I'm still in the first major mission, where you land from a helicopter and go into the building. I like it so far. I think the graphics are pretty decent. One of the sarif buildings with tall red walls was weird...I was getting 60 fps most places, but only 40 there no matter what I turned off (didn't try turning DX11 off). It was weird.

I have shadows normal, SSAO off, DOF normal, FXAA high, and I think everything else turned up. I don't see tearing with triple buffering and vsync on, and once I turned the mouse sensitivities down the mouse seems fine to me. I don't notice weird stuttering like with Underworld. I'm running an e8400 3.0 GHz, 4GB memory, 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, and a 1GB 5850 I believe.

I did start up the game with a 360 controller plugged in just in case, and then unplugged it. I surely hope that didn't affect the mouse sensitivity, however. It feels like it could be a little weird but eh.

I'm not a fan of not knowing about time limits, but I figure I can always replay the game once I have a better idea how everything works. I'm so bad at stealth I'm not worrying too much about ghost the first time around, for instance. I'm only afraid of running out of tranq darts (which never seem to work blind firing).

I'm using default controls except with c/control switched. The default mouse bindings for creeping behind walls seem pretty decent, but I almost wish there was a better way to pop up and iron sight someone since I'm afraid of wasting bullets without the ironsights/scope.

Overall good stuff. I thought the intro credit scene was well done, and I guess the story and atmosphere and cluttered environments are already drawing me in. The voice acting doesn't seem bad so far though obviously some animations are a little stilted. Lip syncing and sound seem in-sync to me.

FXAA high may cause a slight shimmer but honestly I like how clean everything looks, yellow object highlights and all, so I think I'll just go with it. :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The worst part is, I don't know if it is like this for everybody, but after that 25-30 second loading time, the game still lags for the first couple of seconds.

RedSwirl

Jesus. I just got my briefing for the second "mission" and it feels like I'm about to dive into an ocean of... really incredible game. I haven't gotten this feeling for a game since... the best shit that came out last year. Yeah this is probably the best game I've played so far this year. The only thing that comes close is The Witcher 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EmCeeGramr said:
To handle the
police station
and without even having a CASIE yet, managed to talk to Haas and convince him on my first try to get the achievement
, looted the place clean of anything I could without conflict, and when necessary I used stealth, silenced nonlethals, and nonlethal takedowns to get into sensitive areas, then walked out like nothing was wrong.

What I find really intereseting about that is how the
CASIE aug usage differs greatly from natural choices. You can help bring Haas closure if you take the natural, dialogue specific path, but the CASIE aug is more exploitive, detecting his weakness and objects in the environment, and pressuring him over the pills in his garbage can.

I like that many of the CASIE responses dont feel like Mass Effect esque "I'm a heroic wordsmith" win buttons, but instead an artificial, robotic analysis of the situation.

Zeliard

Revolutionary said:
God, this game makes it so hard to choose what to upgrade next. Everything is so useful. I want it all!
The augmented jump isn't something I thought would be useful at all (got it as a stepping stone to other augs I want), but it really is. There are lots of out-of-reach areas and fences to jump over/onto, where you get both bonus XP and loot/weapons. Pretty sweet.

Yeah I enjoy that. I was worried about them consolidating skills and augs into one thing but there are a good variety of augs to choose from and most seem to be beneficial enough. It's tempting in the early going to put your first few Praxis into hacking, especially the one that increases your hacking level.

My hacking is at level 2 now but I have one point sitting there and I'm about to get another. Probably gonna put it at 3 soon. Most doors in the police station are either level 2 or have another way in. I spent a decent amount of time breaking into those and reading e-mails, and finishing up that big side quest. Cleaning out the station took a while. :p

Fixed2BeBroken said:
LoL...this game is too funny..

so I am on the 2nd floor of this police building and i throw a carboard box down at a police officer..and the whole station unloads on me. Talk about justice!

lol that happened to me at the start of the 1st mission with the SWAT guys.

Throwing a small empty cardboard is enough provocation for the police to use lethal force
just like real life.

Macattk15

Trojita said:
The worst part is, I don't know if it is like this for everybody, but after that 25-30 second loading time, the game still lags for the first couple of seconds.

I have double the loading times but it doesn't lag at all!

ARghhagghahh! I think I'll wait for a patch.

I tried for the free DXHR facebook code but they were gone in less than a second. I only have enough money to feed myself, but no money to buy the game :(

Was it just me or were the codes exactly the same as the ones for the DX1+IW set?

Need help with the optional quest, Cloak and Daggers:

I'm trying to infiltrate Derelict Row (without being seen, mind you), but I'm finding this impossible. I jumped across to the fire escape, climbed down, and incapacitated the two standing guard in the hallway that just leads back outside. There are two guards waiting down the other path (into Derelict Row) who I can find no way to get past without alerting them. Any suggestions?

EatChildren said:
What I find really intereseting about that is how the
CASIE aug usage differs greatly from natural choices. You can help bring Haas closure if you take the natural, dialogue specific path, but the CASIE aug is more exploitive, detecting his weakness and objects in the environment, and pressuring him over the pills in his garbage can.

I like that many of the CASIE responses dont feel like Mass Effect esque "I'm a heroic wordsmith" win buttons, but instead an artificial, robotic analysis of the situation.

See I never noticed that. I felt so good about the regular conversation and
how it felt like I actually helped him out,
so the idea that the special skill "helping" you would actually result in a different solution never occurred to me.

Speaking of different conversations, has anyone noticed differences in those? I'm pretty sure I did the exact same conversation path as my brother did with
Zeke
, yet I'm positive the reactions were different, and it was actually going to fail if I didn't make a different choice on the last few. I have no idea if it was based on playstyle or what.

Another weird difference was the lady outside Jensen's apartment. He got a religious zealot he quickly punched out, I got a lady talking about how augmentation is the future and the "humanity" groups are wrong.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I be's waitin' right here foh you cap'n.

She dug a hot dog (complete w/ catsup and mustard) out of the trash after saying that. This game is hilarious.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey, stop dying people, in real life there's no respawn. It's like it's realistic and punishing you for death. ;)

Seriously though, kudos on the PC effort they put in even though it could be better. No crashes so far though I'm only in the first mission, maybe an hour or two of play. The bar of icons with NUMBER KEYS to select is nice. Scroll wheel support! User interface stuff that supports dragging and dropping from the inventory, and scroll wheels for menus! Configurable buttons, double-bindable if I recall correctly! Options for toggle, non-toggle, options for object highlight, augmentation options galore.

DX11 support right at release date. PC version available at the same time as other platforms. Video options that change almost immediately without requiring a restart (except DX11)! Options for both vsync and triple buffering as mentioned earlier. Tutorials that are easy to skip, easy to bring up again if you miss them, that help explain the various controls and buttons. 99 save slots, auto-save slot, maybe even quick-save though I haven't found or used it. Keyboard and gamepad controls that change on the fly or support both at once.

I guess the game strikes me as quite involved and complex in a good way, very much like old PC games used to be. I hardly think it's a poor PC game/port, especially with all the keyboard controls.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EmCeeGramr said:
Watching my brother play through this is great for comparing.

To handle the
police station

He wandered around in alleys and sewers, not knowing there was a front door, came up to a ladder that he climbed up by stacking boxes, snuck in through a vent on the roof, quickly got caught and had to fight his way through the entire building, couldn't hack a single thing, tripped every alarm, and finally emerged to a city full of hostile cops that he had to fight off with just a pistol
and some help from a few gun-toting AIs who attacked the cops.
I did both methods, minus the
Talked to the guy, but wanted to work my way in the back first since they had two quests back there

Few other great highlights for me

My hacking wasn't two yet, so I couldn't access the gate to get into an area. Typical stack up cans to get up the fire escape. Get into the building and there are two rooms to go into it.

Room one is like some hitman's. I hack the door and look everything. Go to the other door and bam. Fucking killed. Room was mined. I restart there and read the pad this time. Noted a special surprise in the next room. I throw a box into the room to blow up the mine. Then loot everything else. Got crossbow arrows.

Anyways, next room is the mission one. Typical hack and loot room. Except right when I'm done, a guy wanders in with a shotgun screaming for more drugs. I'm hiding in the bathroom, hoping he goes away. He doesn't, but sits down. Went out there and took him down.

Police station was great. The big vent in the center had 5 cops in it when I was done. All by takedowns then dragging them in. Jacked the weapon room too and got something called a PEGS.

Game has been a blast so far for me. I do have a few quips. Load times(starting one specifically) are pretty bad. Not Witcher before EE bad, but up there. A few clipping while shooting moments too. And I did wish they have more AUGs to pick. Most of them seem limited in a few areas. While one entry for the special ones.

I'm not getting many of the technical problems either people are reporting. 6 hours today, In a half an hour, 2 and a half, and 3 hour sessions. No crashes, pauses, etc. Only a slight bit of shuttering when I initially load which is over in about 10 seconds. Its been technical sound for me. I have AA turned off though.

Question too. Is it possible to get a Traq pistol too if I have the rifle?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jimmy Stav said:
Need help with the optional quest, Cloak and Daggers:

I'm trying to infiltrate Derelict Row (without being seen, mind you), but I'm finding this impossible. I jumped across to the fire escape, climbed down, and incapacitated the two standing guard in the hallway that just leads back outside. There are two guards waiting down the other path (into Derelict Row) who I can find no way to get past without alerting them. Any suggestions?

That was hard as hell. What I did was sneak in right through the front way. I used the pipes opposite the front guard, and stealth knocked out the same guard while he wasn't looking. The rest was exploiting the guards by having them just see me and shift their positions so I could worm my way around.

EmCeeGramr said:
See I never noticed that. I felt so good about the regular conversation and
how it felt like I actually helped him out,
so the idea that the special skill "helping" you would actually result in a different solution never occurred to me.

Thats what I liked too. The aug doesn't grant you the ability to magically know everything, but instead exploit weak character traits.
You essentially blackmail Haas over the drugs, and leave him full of rage and frustration.

Speaking of different conversations, has anyone noticed differences in those? I'm pretty sure I did the exact same conversation path as my brother did with
Zeke
, yet I'm positive the reactions were different, and it was actually going to fail if I didn't make a different choice on the last few. I have no idea if it was based on playstyle or what.

Another weird difference was the lady outside Jensen's apartment. He got a religious zealot he quickly punched out, I got a lady talking about how augmentation is the future and the "humanity" groups are wrong.

I thought that too. I've tried the Haas conversation a couple of times and I swear the he dug up two different responses to the same option.

amorbis

Most of my enemy encounters end up with me giving up on stealth and just unloading bullets into guys. I guess that's normal?

I've never been patient enough for stealth games, so I'm glad this one lets me deal with the ruckus I cause.

RetroMG

I freaking love this game, but I am really, really bad at it. I was dying constantly on the Normal difficulty until I turned it down to Easy, and now I just die fairly regularly.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Blizzard said:
Hey, stop dying people, in real life there's no respawn. It's like it's realistic and punishing you for death. ;)

Seriously though, kudos on the PC effort they put in even though it could be better. No crashes so far though I'm only in the first mission, maybe an hour or two of play. The bar of icons with NUMBER KEYS to select is nice. Scroll wheel support! User interface stuff that supports dragging and dropping from the inventory, and scroll wheels for menus! Configurable buttons, double-bindable if I recall correctly! Options for toggle, non-toggle, options for object highlight, augmentation options galore.

Video options that change almost immediately without requiring a restart (except DX11)! Options for both vsync and triple buffering as mentioned earlier. Tutorials that are easy to skip, easy to bring up again if you miss them, that help explain the various controls and buttons. 99 save slots, auto-save slot, maybe even quick-save though I haven't found or used it. Keyboard and gamepad controls that change on the fly or support both at once.

I guess the game strikes me as quite involved and complex in a good way, very much like old PC games used to be. I hardly think it's a poor PC game/port, especially with all the keyboard controls.

Fuck, only 99?

Well that's hilarious the game won't even attempt to load in the background. Alt Tabbing makes it so it doesn't even want to process it seems.

Blizzard

Banned
Trojita said:
Fuck, only 99?
That's what someone said, but I figure I won't be needing all 99, so I tend to keep a few slots per mission. I don't want to reload 30 saves ago, making me redo 2 missions, especially in a game that's supposed to have your choices affect things down the road. I figure if I replay it, I can put more effort into doing missions a certain way rather than reloading saves constantly. *shrug*

Darkone said:
is it best to play it on the PC with Keyboard or Xbox360 gamepad??
I would say go with what you're comfortable with or try both. Once I adjusted the mouse sensitivity I thought KB/M were fine. I had no external graphics etc. programs running besides CCC and Fraps.

Lunar15

I've tried downloading this twice on steam, only for it to hit 100% and then revert back to 0%. I've never had this problem on steam before. Very very frustrating. It's taken me well over 24 hours to download, and it still isn't done.

Top Bottom