• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Jeramii

Banned
finished the first level. the game is a lot different than i was expecting (never played the first 2). so good though.

will continue tomorrow.

So, how much is possible to completely miss in Detroit? I've gone through that area twice now, once in my press build and once retail. I...

-Let Zeke go
-Got the achievement for helping Haas
-went to LIMB
-Helped out the Neuropryzene thief with his problem by talking to his blackmailer
-Dealing with the drug pushers for said blackmailer
-Helped Megan's mom out by talking to the security guy
-Did the derelict row gang mission
-Found the hidden evidence
-Found Zeke again and got his info
-did the warehouse mission/killed Barret

Have I missed anything? Or are those the only quests in Detroit? I feel really dumb, because I swear there's more, but then again, I'm not really complaining because after all was said and done that took me like 10 hours both time.

spicy cho

I think I enjoy punching random civilians in the face a little TOO much. I do it pretty much after 90% of my conversations with them.

Syriel

BigJiantRobut said:
Have I missed anything? Or are those the only quests in Detroit? I feel really dumb, because I swear there's more, but then again, I'm not really complaining because after all was said and done that took me like 10 hours both time.

You seem to have missed the entire side quest tree about the crooked cop that you get from the undercover cop posing as hooker.

DrBo42

WTF! Spoiler on Detroit PD mission
You can talk to some guy and convince him to give you access to the morgue? How the hell did I miss him? Is he in the lobby? I spent so much damn time pulling a Sam Fisher in there.

Jtrizzy

This game is crashing a lot considering I'm playing it on a 2600k/580. Can't imagine what the problem is. Maybe I need to learn to overclock, and change the settings in the Nvidia control panel maybe?

masud

Banned
What the heck, I bought the retail copy for pc but after I put in the dvd stream opens up and starts downloading the game (8gbs!)?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Does the stun gun have ammo? I'm feeling like I made a huge mistake choosing the tranq rifle instead. On the same note, I'm not liking that takedowns use up energy. I feel like if I can sneak up on a guy, I deserve a shot at quietly removing him no matter what.

I should probably just stop trying to be completely stealthy and non-lethal on my first play.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
1stStrike said:
For some reason I decided to go for a stealth/non-lethal run on my first play through. With as hard as this game is (even on the lowest difficulty) it would've probably been a lot easier for me to run and gun, since I can easily shoot people from cover. When I'm trying to go stealth, if they see me I have to reload from my last save in order to get the extra experience at the end of the mission.

It took me like 3 hours to do the first mission because of that... >_>
I feel you bro.

Syriel

DrBo42 said:
WTF! Spoiler on Detroit PD mission
You can talk to some guy and convince him to give you access to the morgue? How the hell did I miss him? Is he in the lobby? I spent so much damn time pulling a Sam Fisher in there.

Yes. And it's not just
"some guy." It's the desk guard in the reception window. Do the conversation tree right and he gives you the OK to go in unmolested.

BigJiantRobut said:
Ooh, never saw that one.

I missed it the first two times through as well. Only caught it the third time because I happened to randomly pass by her on the street and she called out "Hey Jensen!"

There was nothing that I saw elsewhere that pointed me there. Just a random meetup.

iavi

Dan said:
Does the stun gun have ammo? I'm feeling like I made a huge mistake choosing the tranq rifle instead. On the same note, I'm not liking that takedowns use up energy. I feel like if I can sneak up on a guy, I deserve a shot at quietly removing him no matter what.

I should probably just stop trying to be completely stealthy and non-lethal on my first play.

Yeah, the stun gun has 'darts' that do run out. I seem to be finding packs frequently, but I'm one of those guys that runs areas through with a fine-tooth comb.

Trojita said:
I feel you bro.

Despite knowing everything about it, that mission still whipped my ass good. Seriously, you cannot at all be brash during a stealth run on 'Give me Deus Ex.' Two pops with the peashooter and you're clocking out.

It's (marginally) interesting to me that none of the footage from the famous E3 trailer seemed to have made it into the game, would have figured some of that stuff with Barrett ("You'll never find them!") or the girl boss firing into civilians or Adam's icarus dream would have made it in there

Miri said:
Seriously, you cannot at all be brash during a stealth run on 'Give me Deus Ex.' Two pops with the peashooter and you're clocking out.

I have serious doubts that a non-stealth approach is viable in 'Give me Deus Ex' mode. I might go down to 'Give me a Challenge' for my second playthrough.

whats the point of being able to have both a silencer and the high power shot mod o the pistol? isnt the silencer useless if you have the other mod?

knitoe said:
Try the new caps I posted above. Improves CF in DX11.
Thanks, I installed that and now I'm getting 60FPS in doors near all the time with nearly Advanced Video setting turned on and all the way up (except SSAO). While walking around Detroid it still stutters a bunch when entering the area and hangs around 30FPS before shooting back up to 50-60FPS again while exploring. It can randomly, briefly fall as low as 20-30FPS on certain street corners but I'm starting to think that's just the game loading stuff. Definitely an improvement, I think.

PC noob question, though: I have everything in the Catalyst Control Center set to default (is that generally a good thing, first off?), including Tessellation which means it's set to "AMD Optimized" and not "Follow application settings." Since this game has Tessellation settings in the Advanced Video options, should I set that setting to "No" in-game and to let the CCC do its thing, should I set the CCC to "Follow application settings" and leave it on, or should I just leave it alone ("AMD Optimized" + "Yes" to Tess in-game)?

Valravn

Hellsing321 said:
I just spent an hour breaking into my coworkers offices, stealing their shit, and reading their email. I love this game.

Jensen is chief of security, he knows and must know everything! Fuck ethics.

Hawk269

Jtrizzy said:
This game is crashing a lot considering I'm playing it on a 2600k/580. Can't imagine what the problem is. Maybe I need to learn to overclock, and change the settings in the Nvidia control panel maybe?

I have the same specs, plus another 580 in SLI. Have played about 3 hours or so with no crashes or issues. I dont think you need to OC the GPU as it is only using about 35% of mine in SLI, so even 1 580 could handle this game in DX11 easily.

1stStrike said:
For some reason I decided to go for a stealth/non-lethal run on my first play through. With as hard as this game is (even on the lowest difficulty) it would've probably been a lot easier for me to run and gun, since I can easily shoot people from cover. When I'm trying to go stealth, if they see me I have to reload from my last save in order to get the extra experience at the end of the mission.

It took me like 3 hours to do the first mission because of that... >_>

1313536075294.png

Clevinger

flipswitch said:
What does the quest tab do in the inventory? I never understood it from my playthrough of the preview build.

You can turn quest waypoints on and off.

nib95 said:
So very quickly guys, worth a buy? Full price or wait for it to drop?

Yes, buy it and support the game. We need more like it.

Hawk269

masud said:
What the heck, I bought the retail copy for pc but after I put in the dvd stream opens up and starts downloading the game (8gbs!)?

I also bought retail. What it does, it connects to steam then it copies the files over from the disk. Shorly after, it downloads the patch then you enter your code to verify the game (or you do that earlier..cant remember). But for me it did not download the game, it just copied the files from the disk, downloaded the patch and I was good to go.

kuYuri

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the equivalent of Edge AA? What's better (less jaggies, but less performance) between FXAA High, Edge AA, and MLAA?

cackhyena

nib95 said:
So very quickly guys, worth a buy? Full price or wait for it to drop?
It's worth the full price. I just lost about 3 hours getting sidetracked in Detroit. This game is crack if you are going for as much information and augment upgrades as possible. So good.

iavi

Interficium said:
I have serious doubts that a non-stealth approach is viable in 'Give me Deus Ex' mode. I might go down to 'Give me a Challenge' for my second playthrough.

Not. at. all. It'd basically have to be a stealth run, but with killing instead of not.

Valravn

Yesterday i did that quest called Lesser Evils.

I found Tindall spoke to him and basically said to him that he is a big man and he can take care of his own problems (2 dealers harassing him) what i missed at that moment was a trollface on Jensen.
trollface-emoticon-2.gif

flipswitch said:
No, not that one.From memory in the inventory you hold a button and a new page opens with space to put more weapons? I think.

It has stuff like key-cards and VIP passes you get. Functionally useless.

Valravn

Is it me or does quicksave sometimes not work? I press F5 at times but then i dont see that flashing icon appear. Just during gameplay not in cutscenes ofcourse.

anyone else find it stupid that non lethal kills are rewarded with much more xp? I feel like im forced to play the game a certain way so i can get augs when i really wanna cap dudes in the head with my silenced pistol

Xanathus

Syriel said:
No. Did not make it into the game.
I imagine there isn't a new game+ is because you can break the scripts in the tutorial mission very easily with the augs, like the multi takedown one. There's a youtube of someone doing it in the leak build.

red731

As someone else wrote I think I will pull Cartman till friday.
I am so hyped reading the reactions here!

And am drinking energy drink and I am hyping more on the chair damn...

I will play nonlethal stealth way the first time, like in the first game...
I want crossbow, I hope there is a crossbow right? With tranqulizer bolts or some other non leathal ammo and weapons.

Valravn

Some lethal takedowns are pretty unnecessary. I took down a police officer and Jensen hit him in the face and broke his fucking arm after he knocked the guy out. Ouch!

Vaporak

God damnit, one of the sidequests is broke >.>
in cloak and dagger, when I'm taking down the aug gang and trying to incapacitate their leader he just isn't in the building. Instead of double T there's a "gang leader" and knocking him out doesn't let me complete the quest. :(

Well, when I reloaded and tried it again and just hung out in his apartment he spawned right on top of me after a minute. But speaking of this apartment
anyone get in here before doing the quest with Tindall? The computer suggests that the aug gang was getting their Neuropozine from Tindall, making his philanthropic line kinda shaky.

fuzzyreactor said:
anyone else find it stupid that non lethal kills are rewarded with much more xp? I feel like im forced to play the game a certain way so i can get augs when i really wanna cap dudes in the head with my silenced pistol

There's more risk involved with non-lethal kills since other guards can wake up KO'd guards.

More risk, more reward.

Interficium said:
There's more risk involved with non-lethal kills since other guards can wake up KO'd guards.

More risk, more reward.
hardly much more of a risk. If a guard sees someone on the floor, regardless if they are dead or knocked out, they will go in alert.

lucius

Not too far in but the game is awesome, playing on 360 installed, cutscenes seem to be a bit too dark compared to regular gameplay, turned up luminosity up a bit but gameplay seems to not need it so I am kind of stuck with dark cutscenes.

Top Bottom